Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
How many VR threads do we need? This is the 4th one now I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jarmak posted:

Another day week without a response from HTC about the Vive they said they shipped me

Ordered on April 8th, pretty frustrating watching people that ordered in vicinity of when HTC said they shipped mine get their Vives. At this point I've pretty much just given up.

Call customer support again and immediately ask to escalate to supervisor and ask them what's up. Do that every day till they tell you.

Also write some angry tweets @HTC, the bad public press sometimes gets them to wake up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Randomosity posted:

Is there a list of Rift game release dates anywhere? I've only got Lucky's Tale and Eve Valkyrie. They're fun and I'm definitely going to spend more time on them, but I'm curious what's on the horizon and having a tough time finding anything.

Go to Steam, go to the store page, select the VR option, and then uncheck "HTC VIVE"

There's a list of current and upcoming Rift games for ya :) gently caress Oculus Home.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

VR isn't remotely ready to tackle Assassin's Creed. Its like the exact hardest possible game to translate to VR, unless you just ditch the entire game and start from scratch.

You have all the locomotion problems of an FPS like Half-Life but with the added :barf: of freerunning and falling and climbing and stuff.

I guess you could just play it all in third person but then that's barely even VR, just sitting there with a controller just watching it in 3D.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Poetic Justice posted:

Ah yeah, I should clarify, I just think it would be cool to wander around the AC worlds that have been built and like, have a voice over talk about the historical buildings and things like that. More of a historical tour game, if anything. Yeah, a legit AC would definitely get a lot of people real sick haha.

Ah yeah I'd love poo poo like that. I heard that some class on history was actually using AC Brotherhood for lectures because its one of the more realistic and complete renderings of Rome available.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MSI has a backpack PC for VR. Not sure about this, seems overkill for the cable problem, especially since you'd still have limits on how you do body tracking so you couldn't just walk around in a field using it as a VR roomscale space... but still kinda cool. Necessary for those huge laser tag VR things, I guess.

http://kotaku.com/a-gaming-pc-you-can-wear-on-your-back-1779574739

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Walrus posted:

Watching my non-gamer girlfriend play Job Sim last night was the most adorable thing.

:3:

Yeah I love how fast you just start playing along with the virtual world. Playing Job Sim I pretty quickly got "in character", I was more of a jerk like you than a super nice person like your GF, but I did some little touches. Like whenever somebody took an order, I would actually say "Thanks, come again!" and then wave at them with the remotes/hands.

The ability to make your own gameplay like that is fantastic and something that traditional 2D/3D games are sorely lacking. The game industry has gone almost completely in the direction of highly structured, scripted, limited experiences where you can only do this or that and you just do it over and over in pleasing ways. I much prefer the freedom to actually do whatever I want.

As soon as somebody makes a proper MMORPG in VR they're going to make $Texas money. World of Warcraft was nothing compared to the virtual reality MMO phenomenon that's going to hit us in a few years. The userbase isn't there yet though and the games definitely aren't ready.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dukeofdummies posted:

Is there any word on anybody making a Minority Report style setup with VR? Everything I've seen so far seems like they just throw up one or two big screens in a floating space.

I would love it if I could just spew out windows into floating surfaces around me. It would be awesome if I could open up Source Film Maker and literally drag the scout into the pose I want him in with a few pictures floating around me as a reference.

Dude there's like 10 programs that let you do that already and the loving OP already mentions two of them. :v:

Knifegrab posted:

Honestly there isn't much point to playing a game that is not designed for VR in VR. If the game is heavily modified or built from the ground up it can be really cool but personally I don't see the point in stereo injected traditional games.

Retrofit 3D games are already not great for VR. Games that aren't even retrofit officially and are just hacked to work in VR suck, period. Its not worth the headache.

I'm with you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Obduction is almost out, release date has slipped to July 26 but its looking very promising. Launching on PC, Mac and Oculus.

Probably the closest we'll get to a AAA VR title for awhile.

The Walrus posted:

god drat it I keep setting my controllers down on imaginary counters in job sim

Use the lanyards. I know we've been trained from Wii and other things to ignore lanyards because they're dumb and goofy, but with VR controllers they're important.

For whatever reason, playing in VR makes my palms really sweaty, I have to constantly drop the controllers and wipe them off. But with the lanyards I just let go and they dangle for a second, no biggie.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I know that PSVR is kind of persona non grata here, despite what the OP says, but hey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl5o-FqIRIQ

They're going all out for the retro look for the pilots. I can't wait for this dumb game.

As much as I love the VIVE, the PSVR is by far going to be the first platform to take off. I wouldn't consider it persona non grata at all.

Knifegrab posted:

Valve released their Unity Renderer, the one they used for the lab: http://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/604985915045842668

Not huge but pretty cool for developers.

Valve is using Unity instead of Source (2.0)? Well that's awfully telling / damning.

Source has always been kindof a lovely engine, so honestly that's the direction they should go. In-house engines aren't worth it these days.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

It does seem weird since you would expect Valve to implement their own SDK on their own engine. I'm starting to worry about them. Every time I see something about Valve, it looks like they are just resting on their laurels as the creators of Steam. Sure they've made SteamVR but they expected a bunch of indie developers to fill up their store with VR games. All they've done was The Lab and that wasn't even in their own engine. The last game they released was Dota 2 in 2013. Besides that it's just The Lab which is a tech demo. I hope they announce something at E3 but I really expected them to have some big first party VR game come out.

Maybe they are just getting out of the game making business. With Unreal being totally free to start out with and Unity taking a similar path, they'd probably have to put forth a lot of effort to do something similar with Source 2.0. What's the point of releasing their own free or cheap to use engine to attract smaller devs when they can just take all the Unity and Unreal games and put them on their store with no effort of their own?

It is entirely possible Valve is pretty done with the games business, or at least done with games that aren't part of their "hats2play" business model of TF2 and DOTA2 and CS:GO.

However, Valve has always been a company about doing games right, on their own terms. Half-life became the cultural hit it was because they scrapped the whole game and delayed it over a year to start over. Half-life 2 took them like, what, 9 years of development? The episodes were supposed to be a response to how long their game dev takes, (since they iterate on things until they're all perfect, which is good) but even that failed; the episodes took way longer than planned.

So... its entirely possible that valve are actually working on a AAA VR game right now. Something like Half-life 3 or an entirely new Portal-like puzzle-game experience.

But if they are, they won't tell us until its almost done. If anything, their experiences with Half-life 2 leaks and talking about HL3 and now having it be delayed so much that everybody says "Valve can't even make HL3 now the expectations are too impossibly high", I think GabeN has learned that Valve shouldn't say one WORD about a game until its practically finished.

Internally, Valve is known for telling their developers that whatever your favorite game feature is, its going to be cut. Its something you have to prepare yourself as a creator. But while the creators understand this; fans definitely don't.

You say "we're building a game where you'll do this and this" and then you iterate on it and decide some of those things don't work, but then the fans go "where was that stuff?" and you risk looking like Molyneux.

So considering how exceptionally long valve takes and how much they iterate and change their games designs over time, I think they're just going to keep everything completely top-secret until its practically ready to hit stores.

So either Valve is done with games, or Valve is currently working on an absolutely mind-blowing VR game but it'll take 6 years and we won't hear about it until 6 years from now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

jubjub64 posted:

Sooooo this could change everything gaming and VR eventually.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pFAgf3PUK8

Man I really hate the trend of ripping off the names of famous mathematicians or scientists for companies.

Tesla and Euclid are upset. :argh:

I dunno about all this. I've heard people say big things about voxel engines and time and again it doesn't manage to actually turn into a proper game, same with ray-casting. There's a reason everybody in the entire industry uses raster graphics.

Also "world first new virtual life-form, made of animted point cloud data"

Dude, voxels have been a thing for yeaaaaaaaaars. He's talking like they discovered Photogrammetry and Voxels, but that's totally BS.

He also says that a few people were able to put together a demo in a couple months using their voxel system, but big computer games take thousands of people. That's another bullshit statement. A few people can put together a demo using raster graphics and Unity too. Proper polished AAA games take thousands of people because of all the content, detail, polish, and gameplay mechanics you have to design and test. A quick render demo isn't at all representative of the level of effort of a full game.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 2, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ALFbrot posted:

As a 3D professional, I love his example of "look at this hosed up tree base!! trees don't look like this!" and then "look, we scanned a real tree!" as though that helps development at all. If a modeler wanted to model a specific tree, they could do so easily, and then manipulate the materials and properties of it way easier than with stupid point cloud data.

Yeah, Star Wars Battlefront uses photogrammetry and raster graphics and manages to have photorealistic trees, better than any real-time application I've ever seen.

There's so much BS in that video its staggering.

w00tazn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6NoWIdgKAw

This video he basically flies around his Lidar scan and explains that it's doing EXACTLY what i said it was doing. Raytracing for point cloud data.
Only took em two years to figure out a way to have moving point clouds represented.

This looks soooo lovely. You can see through solid objects like cars as he flies past them. Nice point cloud guys! Nobody cares!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/vr-devs-pull-support-for-oculus-rift-until-palmer-luckey-steps-down?utm_source=mbtwitter

Hoo boy this sure is fun :munch:

https://twitter.com/Polytron/status/779392568425455616?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/cambrian_era/status/779291472302526468?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/TTLabsVR/status/779155770927480832?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/ScrutaGames/status/779134849512857601?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so phil fish and a bunch of indies makinge weird puzzle poo poo are dropping it and starting even more of shitstorm. fun times a ahead. I dont blame them for doing it though. its their product.

Not many people who aren't indie are making VR stuff.

Insomniac games also condemned it, and they aren't indie, although they didn't say anything about pulling the plug.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Even if Palmer does step down though, he's got $700M from Oculus. He's not gonna suffer in any way or learn any lesson beyond "gently caress the internet".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

StarkRavingMad posted:

Brad said he was experiencing the same thing at all distances at his home. I think they said Jeff is like 7-8 feet away right now. its a real bummer because some of the software looks cool, the Harmonix thing looks fun and this Battlezone looks cool. But other reviews are also talking about tracking issues or controller judder, too. And then some people are saying they had no issues at all. I guess we'll see if some of it can be fixed in firmware.

I would imagine the controller judder can be somewhat resolved with software, just kinda apply smoothing to the inputs that ignores minor hand tremors and tracking errors.

But then why haven't they done that already?

Head tracking is a bigger deal. I'm waiting to try it out myself to make up my mind.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Can you plug in a second camera for additional tracking fidelity? PSVR is just a single camera right?

They just discussed camera distance, said they were about 8 ft away. One guy said his tracking improved when he was directly facing the camera? I can imagine this will improve dramatically between now and christmas with firmware updates

I really doubt they'd support a second camera, although that is a great idea. Hardware probably isn't designed for it though, and its hard enough selling people one camera and headset much less a second camera.

It sounds like you need to be right in the sweet spot of the camera tracking, almost like a 3DS. Kotaku's review said they couldn't find a way to be comfortable switching between standing or sitting; the range was so finnicky they had to adjust the camera every time they move.

So definitely no roomscale going on here, not even close. Restricting movement that much really limits how much you can do in the VR world.

It still works and there's lots of game experiences you can do with just head tracking, but that's basically the difference between Oculus and VIVE and I vastly prefer the latter because of how immersive being able to actually reach around and pick things up is.

Seeing job simulator on PSVR and knowing that you can't do half the things you can on the PC version is pretty lame. Games will be designed around it though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Unfortunately there's just no way to make the PSVR motion controllers be accurate. All you can track is that ball and you can't get any orientation from that. Even then, it can only get position based on the size of the ball from the camera's perspective. That's not very accurate. All there is for orientation is whatever IMUs it has. That's going to lead to drift. Sony really should have made new motion controllers. Using technology from several years ago is not a good idea.

Yeah I agree.

They could try to push Move Pro at some point in the future, but doing so wouldn't be very welcome by consumers. They've screwed this up a bit.

I still think hand judder can be easily smoothed out in software, just have to get away from the idea of perfect 1:1 motion. Ignore motions smaller than a certain distance or velocity, and just update positions as needed. If there's some drift, just ignore it, and then when the player makes a major gesture you can correct his hand position real fast. Should work fine.

But the things you discussed are still major issues for VR control. PSVR is feeling like its gonna be best as a seated headset + controller experience, which can still do a lot of fun things, but flat out cannot deliver the kind of experiences that VIVE can which are so great, like Job Simulator, which is already on PSVR and just isn't the same from what I've seen.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I think the keyword here is try. How long did you get to try it? When you're getting a demo of something, you rarely get a chance to just stop what you're doing and notice minor issues. On the stream, Jeff said that during all the demos he has had, he never noticed the swimming head tracking. It wasn't until he got a unit to test and when he just sat still and looked around did he notice how bad the tracking is.

It is possible that Jeff has a defective unit or set his poo poo up wrong or something though.

Flumbooze posted:

Now I'm not saying there's a big conspiracy or that the reviewers did something wrong, just that I did have the time to really test the headset and didn't have any issues.

Thing is you're not even the only one to say things like this. Makes me wonder if some people are just doing it wrong™ somehow.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Or maybe it was just a bad idea to go for the lowest effort tracking solution.

These aren't mutually exclusive

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Man, Star Trek VR is kinda expensive, how deep is it? Is there a lot of missions?

I feel compelled to buy this and then roleplay as Zapp Brannigan

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

6 missions, infinite dynamic missions.

I'm watching a review and its really glowing.

Agh I guess I gotta get this.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Doom has VR support now?

It has since forever

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Ok, I think I need to stop playing Doom 3 before it gives me PTSD. Worst things I've had to fight so far are Imps, and they've already made me shriek in terror several times. Hell, a door closing behind me did that. :ohdear:

On the flip side, now that I've finally gotten around to trying it, Robo Recall is pretty :krad:! Is Superhot VR anything like this, with all the slow-mo bullet time and akimbo weapon badassery? If so, I may have to pick that one up during the Steam Sale.

When I played it, I made it through the first introductory level without too much issue. But when I got to the second level and you started hitting those monster closets where the lights go out and monsters spawn *behind you* and you hear their chainsaws and breathing... NOPE!

8one6 posted:

Someone's modded Doom 3 BFG edition to be full room scale VR
https://github.com/KozGit/DOOM-3-BFG-VR/releases

Once you have the comfort options dialed in to how you want them it's pretty much better than it ever was as a traditional PC game.

Oh shitttt this is way better

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Doom 3 VR I played used the "duct tape" mod solution to the flashlight, so having it actually mapped to two seperate tracking hand controllers sounds way better. I definitely need to download this and check it out.

How does it handle the UI? The guns? Can you move the guns around in your hands independent of moving around, and like, shoot over your head or under your legs? Doing that in the HL2 VR mod was amazing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bhodi posted:

Yes, it's just like the old halflife style, it's all independently tracked. There are a ton of options like whether you want to see your hands or arms or just the gun/flashlight, whether you prefer a weapon laser sight, and where you want the hud to be or if you want it to only show up when you look down or take damage or whatever.

There's also a "holster" option where you can quick swap between two weapons by putting one on your hip, but it seems to be somewhat bugged and slightly janky, it's not as good as robo recall.

I cheated a little and turned the flashlight duration to permanent though, it became more annoying than scary.

That sounds really really good. Yeah, I'd do the same. The flashlight mechanic in doom 3 was always kinda awkward, hence mods like the 'duct tape' solution. But having to independently hold up the flashlight with one hand and both generally aim the flashlight and aim your gun sounds like a good way to keep the creepy factor up without it just being tedious.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Eyud posted:

VR is cool but lol at the idea that in a couple years everyone is going to have it. VR as it exists now will never be mainstream, it's just a stopgap until we can do VR-like stuff without needing to wear a goofy headset.

It'll always need a headset, just a lighter and slimmer one.

This is the fat iphone 1 with the clicky circle. In a few years, everybody will have iphone minis and nanos.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

KodiakRS posted:

Do we know if Bethesda is letting people play VR demos at e3? Or are the 90 second sizzle reel trailers all we get? I'm primarily interested to see how they handle locomotion.

Skyrim appears to be roomscale + teleport, but I think Fallout looked like it was more controlstick walk around, so both could end up supporting multiple locomotion solutions.

iceaim posted:

Seriously what a bunch of loving assholes. They can't have VR so nobody else should be able to enjoy VR either.

Cognitive dissonance and projection isn't exactly logical but it sure is human. :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ShadowHawk posted:

Any tips for cat management? They have an awkward habit of laying down in my VR space.

If you have a VIVE and you're on Steam VR you can double-tap the menu button to get CYBER VR-REAL-WORLD VISION which feels super cool and lets you find your cats and move them every so often, without having to take off your headset or anything.

Petting my cats from within VR is pretty wild.

If you don't have a VIVE sucks to be you! (sorry bud)

Also put them in cat-beds in the sides of the room before you start, or even better just move them to another room and close the doors. Mine are pretty good about staying put while I walk around though :3:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Safetyland posted:

Agreed. I've got project cars and dirt rally and I'm holding out hope that they will be awesome.

Also have elite, DCS, war thunder.

Thought about job simulator too but the price is a bit steep for what it is from where I'm standing.

War Thunder is great now, as is Elite (if you have the computer to drive it)

Job Simulator was my favorite VR experience for the longest time, so I think its worth it. Its the IDEAL game for demoing VR to your friends, if anybody comes over and wants to play with VR for 10 minutes and see what only VR can do, have them play Job Sim. Any other game they'll be fiddling around with learning the game stuff for a long time and the VR will just sorta be there, but with Job Sim its instant and immediate that you're in VR and doing things you couldn't do outside of VR. Its also genuinely funny and does have some replay value as there are hidden easter eggs and things you can do that you aren't told you can do. Its not the biggest game but I find by the time I beat all the missions, I'd forgotten what the earlier ones were like and enjoyed playing through them again.

Rick & Morty is Job Sim 2 and is more of the same, well, maybe "less of the same" is more accurate. Its got even better humor but its slightly shorter.

Subnautica would be really brilliant in VR but I keep having different major issues with it so I can't recommend it right now. Hopefully it gets all fixed up and then when its "done" it'll be amazing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GI_Clutch posted:

I just picked up Rick & Morty the other day and it's definitely a step up from Job Simulator. I enjoyed Job Simulator on release, but everything just felt a bit too straight forward and in the case of the mechanic job, went on too long. While Rick & Morty is still task oriented, it feels a little less hand-holdy and I think it makes you think a little more for some of the puzzles. I think Job Simulator (or a sequel) could be more interesting with a randomized mode with pass/fail conditions and multi-tasking to keep you on your toes.

Yeah just adding a randomized mode and some upgrades would give it tons more depth.

You could turn the cooking segment of Job Sim into something like Cook, Serve, Delicious really easily.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Oh man, there's been a lot of little changes to Steam VR since I last tried it out, been playing PSVR lately instead. Very slick, they're really improving on the experience and making it more consumer-friendly to actually experience VR content.

Subnautica has also been improved and is no longer completely unplayable in VR. There's still some major HUD issues and some occasional graphical glitches, and the loading screen is BALLS, but its definitely playable and quite immersive (and loving spooky at night!)

Finally got around to picking up SUPER HOT in the steam vr sale :)

BoneMonkey posted:

Must style games seem perfect for vr.

Yeah, there's at least 3 projects in the work right now I know of that are basically Myst VR and all look very promising.

I kickstarted all 3 (Obduction, Xing, The Gallery) and get to play little demos here and there. I need to try Obduction in VR though I've only played it 2D so far... will do tomorrow.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

AgentF posted:

[list][*]Aiming control is very fun and natural. So natural in fact that I'm basically some sort of god, endlessly headshotting demons to death. Game is actually kinda easy with this control scheme.

Yeah this is something I noticed way back in the HL2 mod, I felt slightly less accurate but boy was I waaaaay more accurate in reality. Getting headshots one after another, never missing. Crazy accuracy when you can actually point and shoot like in real life compared to moving an artificial crosshair around.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

In real life, aiming is pretty difficult, especially on the move or in rapid succession...

What? What are these words even supposed to mean?

As opposed to in a videogame when you're on the move or in rapid succession but having to do it with a mouse or game controller?

Why are you comparing shooting in VR in a videogame to standing at a range and firing slow shots? what are you :psyduck: What was the point of this post?

"In real life, aiming is pretty difficult" eh not really it isn't. I go skeet shooting or to the rifle range once in awhile, and it ain't rocket science. So even that's wrong. I mean yeah it takes practice and accuracy but what the gently caress are you trying to say?
The point was, compared to a mouse.

E: Have you ever shot a gun?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 2, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Aiming isn't as hard as people make it out to be. Hitting something at the ranges in most games is ridiculously easy. Zaphod's crazy but I do agree with him.

Thankyou

Subjunctive posted:

Shh. Go nap or something. Practice saying "that doesn't match my experience, which is..." instead of vomiting all over the text box.

Oh whatever. His post is dumber than mine. Sorry I wrote more than one sentence.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Holy poo poo Super Hot VR is good.

Sadly the game keeps tempting me to go beyond the borders of my safe VR space and I have no smashed my VIVE controller in to my TV not once, not twice, but three times.

But you don't understand, punching mans in slow-motion feels so good

as does dodging bullets like neo

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

rage-saq posted:

Eh, in the ease of use (one handed) vs more realistic / higher accuracy (two handed rifles) design differences, I'll take accuracy. Two handed weapons and proper firing simulation (like in Onward) are quite a bit more accurate and feel a lot better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w_7F4RpcbA

Do you actually hold the gun and aim with two hands?

I was just thinking its cool how lots of VR games have you dual fisting guns, but it gets a bit old and I'd kinda like to just hold a rifle for a change, or use two hands on a single pistol. I guess that wouldn't really work with VIVE controllers though? Maybe?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BMan posted:

IMO holding a rifle in VR feels awful without a gun rig. With one, it's loving sublime.

That's what I was figuring. Custom gun controllers would be great, but without that...

rage-saq posted:

Yes. It's also true that a VR stock really ups the experience to something transcendent.
http://www.protubevr.com is arguably the hands down best VR stock for vive and rift right now.

It's got a good stock for your shoulder and a cheek rest that lets you hold a rifle just like a real rifle. The adjustment points let you size everything to fit you perfectly as well as adapt to multiple guns or other weapons.

The flexibility of the mounts even let you convert it to working with melee games like Deus Vult, which I keep meaning to try one of these days.

The cups are fantastic and strike a great balance of being easy to put the controllers in or take them out without looking and also grip the controllers so they don't fall out.

I may have to look into one of those stocks...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

:wtc: Aiming at poo poo in real life and hitting them is pretty hard. That's all I'm saying. The original post sounded kinda like he was implying it's easier to hit stuff IRL than in games. Might not be what he was implying, in which case sorry?

Carmack gave a speech at Quakecon about how joysticks require your brain to effectively do calculus (you have to push the stick all the way, then adjust the amount of stick over time as the crosshair gets where you want) compared to a mouse movement which is a direct linear calculation (you only have to adjust for the sensitivity factor, but there's a single movement you can make that will take you from where you are to having the crosshair on the target). Similarly, being able to use your arm muscles is just that much more intuitive and faster. Instead of having to do the linear calculation to adjust for sensitivity, you just move your hands to the position where they face the target. There's no adjustment at all, its 100% natural intuitive body movement.

We were discussing the context of control schemes for VR games. But yeah, it is easier to point and shoot a gun IRL than it is to manipulate an xbox controller to shoot. Things like auto-aim in the programming kinda hide this and make it a weird comparison, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like this will be interesting in the event that VR players get pinned against non VR players in a MP shooter somewhere along the line. Kind of like people using K&M on consoles.

I don't think it can really be done, at least without embracing wholly asymmetric gameplay like Evolve.

MS did lots of tests having PC and Xbox players playing together, and they just had to call it. The tech is there to make it work, but it just isn't balanced. You'd have to force console gamers to buy mice and keyboards and then at that point the genie's out of the bottle, so they don't wanna do that. Which is why most console games explicitly do not support mouse and keyboard even though the games have USB ports, and you have to use a XIM to hack it in and make the mouse and keyboard appear to be a controller.

But I really like some of the PSVR demos where one person is in VR and the other people aren't, using normal controllers. That kinda WiiU tablet player + 4 normal players type asymmetric gameplay can be really unique.

I was just talking to a friend of mine about an idea... in the context of game pricing models, I think lots of new things could be done (but you have to be careful and not abuse it). Like, you could have a game that is free2play, but you play as an Earth Defense Force type human that gets easily murdered by a giant Godzilla monster or some space Ants or whatever. Meanwhile other people who fork out $60 get to play as giant Godzilla in VR and stomp around killing tiny little people in masse. Its inherently unfair so that the Godzilla people have an advantage, but... the other people are getting to play for free, and they're getting a different experience, not necessarily a worse one. Like I said, you'd have to be careful you didn't get exploitative with microtransactions or whatever, but I think there's real possibility there and I think offering free play options like that is the best way to combat piracy. Get those people to work for you.