Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Rockybar posted:

Foveated rendering seems like the thing that 2nd gen headsets absolutely have to have. One video on YouTube has a 4x FPS performance boost, effectively allowing you to double the pixel density of 2160x2400 with no performance hit (assuming processing time per pixel remains constant). It also means that most VR owners could quite easily skip a whole generation of graphics cards.

edit: more like a 2.5x boost

I've been banging on this drum for a while now. Eye tracking has a bunch of other neat benefits too, such as being able to maintain eye contact with other users in online experiences. Detecting blinks is another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Taiso posted:

Op got any headphones recommendations for me?

I use these: http://www.corsair.com/en-au/vengeance-2100-dolby-7-1-wireless-gaming-headset

They're good. Have to remember to keep them charged but the battery lasts quite a while. It's nice not having to deal with any kind of cabling too.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Last Poet posted:

A (hopefully) quick question for anyone with a Vive and a Nvidia gfx card, does the headset appear as a connected display based off the port it's connected to ? I can't get the headset to connect (permanent red light) and I'm thinking its bust.

It doesn't detect as a display, no. Make sure the USB is connected (try different ports too).

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Despite the fact that they used to make PCs, Sony has always ignored the PC market.

Their tracking tech is well understood enough that it'd be possible for a hobbyist to reverse engineer an OpenVR driver, that's how I see it happening anyway.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Has anyone been working on a PSMove driver for OpenVR? I was just thinking about it and it would be great for anyone with a DK2, CV1 or whatever since the hardware is already available. The controls don't map perfectly to the Vive remote but it's pretty close.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 26, 2016

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

s.i.r.e. posted:

So it's basically just in VR, but not in 3D? I understand, you'd need one hell of a loving rig to render GTAV in stereo but drat, I wouldn't mind playing on the ugliest of settings. I'm excited to see his progress.

It's kinda in 3D. It's clever in that it's basically a realtime version of what they do for 2D-3D cinema conversions. There's the 2D image, then a depth map is created and a Stereoscopic image is generated from that. It's not perfect and can cause some odd artifacts but the depth map is technically very accurate, being rendered from the game engine itself.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Poetic Justice posted:

Adr1ft is 50% off on Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/300060/) and apparently they provide Oculus Home keys if you email support.

:barf:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

monkey posted:

I have my vive set up in the garage with no internet. Works fine as far as playing everything goes.

For the guy feeling bad about cancelling a rift preorder, my rift order was at 20 mins and I got it about a month ago, but i have not plugged the CV1 in once since the vive arrived a week ago. Only reason im not selling the CV1 is that i want to make sure my stuff is compatible with both headsets, eventually, once touch comes out.

Touch is already emulated by Revive, though I can understand the concern that Oculus will push another update (or takedown request).

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

They work so similarly that if they do break compatibility it could only be a deliberate decision.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Poetic Justice posted:

Right, but I mean, you can't really expect them to provide official support for the dk's forever either.

Of course not, they're a lovely company with no respect for it's users.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Poetic Justice posted:

Compared to the Vive, Oculus uses less electricity so one could say they care more about all the people on this planet vis a vis GLOBAL WARMING.

But the vive is accelerating us faster towards an existence lived entirely inside human sized vats suspended in efficient nutrient gels.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

redhalo posted:

Can someone else confirm if SteamVR environments don't work correctly with a Rift?

Try the beta, I think they pushed some fixes for that at some point.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

During development of CV1 we broke DK2 by accident several times (shaders for distortion/TW, device mgmt, overdrive, multi-screen differences, etc), and it was only caught because we still had people testing DK2 explicitly. I would not at all be surprised if it were broken by accident, or if they just decide they want to stop testing DK2 at some point and make a harder break.

You mean you broke it while cramming Valve's tech into your SDK?

EDIT: If I sound a bit pissed, you making out Oculus' continuing support of the DK2 as being some sort of favour to your customers as opposed to it being your job comes off as preeettyyyy lovely.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 6, 2016

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

I know this is a really minor thing, and probably weird but... I really love the power on sound for the Vive controllers.

I don't know why, I just find it to be a very nice sound.

It's the Mario coin sound isn't it?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Many years ago I used to have a cordless phone that made an adorable "sad" sound when you turned it off. It really made you feel bad for the chunk of plastic.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qAs0B4NUmQ
This game looks cool as hell.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

TomR posted:

Does the Vive support more than two lighthouses?

There's a bunch of different sweep patterns that the lighthouse can be programmed to do. The current configuration only supports 2 lighthouses, other options will be released down the track in firmware updates.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Warbird posted:

How's the Oculus shipping turnaround time these days? I know the Vive seems to be up to date now, but have the projected shipping times that people got from Oculus remain in effect?

Yep

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

ShadowMoo posted:

From what I've read the current Vive mic is absolute crap.

The mic is pretty good now after a firmware update. It's still not as good as the one in Oculus' HMD but it isn't garbage anymore.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

They seem to have been using the same sort of framework even back as far as Terminator Future Shock and Daggerfall. It's interesting going back to Future Shock and finding gameplay and engine similarities to Fallout 4. Indoor/outdoor transitions in particular, but even the movement physics feel kinda lovely in the same way.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Hah goddamn Oculus is being so transparently scummy.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

ShadowMoo posted:

Apparently there is a 3rd-party that is supposed to deliver wireless VR this year with .1 milisec latency.

http://uploadvr.com/nitero-wireless-vr-2016/

They do this by compressing the video stream which can cause some obvious quality deficiencies even at higher bitrates when encoding is real time. I'll believe it when I see it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Not strictly VR related and more academic than a product, here is an interesting piece of technology that Microsoft Research developed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dkcJ1YhYw4

Real-time holographic capture is something that is sorely needed, it's nice to see there's progress being made. It has a lot of applications for AR/VR.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Can it bring in any window or just its browser? If it uses its own browser instead of mine, I don't trust it.

It seems to only be a browser, which is a bit disappointing.

It'd be neat to have the functionality of ChromeOS ported over, I have a feeling mobile apps (that is, Android applications) would translate well to a VR environment. Better than desktop apps currently do anyway.

EDIT:
What I really want to see though is a VR native desktop interface where applications can be properly multitasked. At the moment it's all very modal, each application essentially rendering an entire view and pushing it to the compositor where it is either hidden or layered on top of something else or whatever. What I'd like to see eventually is something closer in functionality to a window manager, but instead of windows the programs are actual 3d objects.

For example, pooltable.exe doesn't throw you into another environment, instead injecting itself in your own custom environment. You could decorate your room with different programs running independently but using the same APIs.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 4, 2016

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Something I like to remind people of is that WSAD+Mouse wasn't settled on as the standard input for first person games until the late 90s, despite it being, in hindsight, kinda obvious.

It took almost a decade to figure out how to control first person games, even though literally everyone had a keyboard and mouse from the very start. It'll take some time to figure out the best way to pull of movement in VR too.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

NRVNQSR posted:

Mice certainly weren't ubiquitous when W3D and Doom came out. Our household technically owned one, but it never came out of the box because GEM wasn't worth using.

I would almost look at things the opposite way; there has been almost no change in how we control first person games on PC since the days of Doom. Mouselook a year or so later was a big innovation, but it's pretty much the only one. The control mechanisms haven't improved, we've just become so used to them that they're now second nature.

Yeah, I think you'll find mice were quite commonly found, at least on computers that could run Doom and Wolfenstein 3D. Windows 3.1 was out around that time and it garnered mass adoption.

Doom was released in 1993 and was primarily keyboard controlled. Some people used the mouse, but considering that the Y axis was hard-coded to forward/backward movement it was very awkward to use . Quake didn't come out until 3 years later and even that didn't have mouselook as default, it wasn't even an option in the menu instead it was only possible to enable via the console. It was about 1998 when games started to default to WSAD+mouselook (Half Life I think?) and even then it took a few more years for every game to use that scheme.

So actually there has been plenty of change. Try playing old first person games from the 90s (not newly-packaged versions/ports that come with modernized control schemes) and you'll quickly realise that.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 12, 2016

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

NRVNQSR posted:

Windows 3.1 certainly wasn't ubiquitous while Doom was in development; it wasn't even out for most of that time. I would point to Marathon in '94 as being the first new FPS developed in the GUI era, and that controlled pretty much identically to today's shooters - I don't consider the switch of default bindings from arrow keys to WASD as a huge innovation.

Significant changes to FPS control schemes since then have only come when they were forced to: Halo on consoles being the obvious example. And there has been no significant innovation on gamepad FPS controls since Bungie's first implementation, either; generally once you have controls for a genre that basically work no-one changes them because players are unwilling to relearn.

I grew up at the time, I never saw a modern computer (386 upwards) that didn't have a mouse attached to it. They weren't hugely expensive at the time and virtually every computer had a serial port, not to mention that while Windows 3.1 wasn't out the Windows platform had been for a long while. Seriously, it was standard equipment by then.

Marathon did have mouselook but I'm not talking about discovery or invention, I'm talking about standardisation. The best solution to VR locomotion may have already been found, but we don't really know yet.

The Dual Shock was released many years prior to Halo. Have you ever played a first person game on PS1? It's a nightmare, despite the hardware to do it properly already being there.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

..btt posted:

Duke3d supported mouse and keyboard in January 1996, and did so just like it works today, though perspective was totally screwed up when looking up or down. Doom wasn't really a 3D game, more like 2.5d (as was duke3d to a lesser extent) so it's understandable looking up and down wasn't really a thing.

Duke's mouselook wasn't on by default and it doesn't actually work like today games. They bizarrely forced the use a filtering algorithm that only took acceleration data from the mouse one axis at a time, the axis with the greater acceleration taking priority. It's what causes that stair-step movement. Most Build engine games that used the same input stack suffered from this problem, which is why I threw together bmouse.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 12, 2016

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

..btt posted:

Yeah, I meant from a user's perspective it works basically the same. Obviously it wasn't even a true 3D engine - you couldn't look directly up and down for example.

I don't think whether it's the default or in the menus is particularly relevant, especially for quake - in the early versions you could barely do anything without touching the console, I remember having to use various console commands to load maps and set up LAN matches.

My original post was that WSAD+Mouse wasn't standard. I'd hardly call an a variable that needs to either be thrown into the autoexec.cfg file or entered into the console at startup as standard.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

TomR posted:

Yeah, it wasn't standard until probably 1998, and even then you had people playing all kinds of hosed up ways because they didn't like WASD + mouse.

System Shock 2 was released in late 1999 and still didn't ship with WSAD controls by default. By that point mouselook was generally enabled by default however. I don't think WSAD was fully adopted by just about everyone until ~2000.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

NRVNQSR posted:

Have Razer ever actually made a premium product in the past? The most I've ever seen from them is flashy but cheap stuff.

All of their stuff is pretty flashy, but they're not bad products for the most part.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Not explicitly VR related, but the reveal of Nvidia's next gen laptop GPU lineup is pretty interesting. They're close to being performance parity of the desktop parts and the 1060 should be quite capable of reasonable VR performance. Prices start at $1300 which while expensive, is pretty obtainable for the target market.

This makes backpack/tetherless VR a lot more realistic, provided someone comes along with some mounting kit for this stuff. It'd be limited only to the Vive, though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

CapnBry posted:

Alan Yates talked about this on the embedded podcast. The hosts asked for a peripheral that would allow them to find their drink without taking the headset off and Alan immediately brainstormed that if your cup had a marker on it, they could easily use the Vive's camera to register and place the cup in 1:1 space so you could grab it. The problem being that every game would need to integrate this for it to work in every game. The way he sounded a little excited about it made it sound like he may pitch that idea to the SteamVR software team so it would be available cross-title, so it might be already coming. You'd just need to print out a marker.

The problem with doing it generically means that associating a marker with an object, the VR engine doesn't know what sort of model to display in 3D to represent the marker so they'd also need a gallery of 3D models for common objects.

SteamVR can already do overlays in the compositor, it's built into the API. Some software is already using this functionality.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Why would AR kill VR? They are completely different things.

If a device is capable of excellent AR then it should also be capable of excellent VR, provided it's capable of blocking photons from the outside world from hitting your retinas.

So something like Magic Leap could be capable of obsoleting the current tech we're using in VR headsets, despite it's applications primarily being AR-focused.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

AR and VR are totally different things. AR augments reality and VR replaces reality. The uses for one are pretty exclusive from the uses for the other.

With a mixed-reality device like the Magic Leap, whats to stop anyone from just blocking all light from coming through the lenses and instead relying purely on the device for visual display?

If you have the technology to augment reality, you can use that same tech to create a virtual reality and likely to do a better job of it. VR is a subset of AR.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Because engineering-wise you are adding cost for a questionable benefit. If I am designing an AR headset I'm going to be aware of cost. Making it so you have to have a light-blocking structure a part of an AR system is going to hinder it's AR performance. Augmented Reality is meant to ~augment~ reality as you see it, so something like a pair of contacts or a lightweight (oh god the weight) set of glasses, with open space to use your peripheral vision similar in concept to Google Glass. The "cost" to make an AR heaset also do Virtual Reality means you have to add a bunch of stuff to your AR headset to make that viable. Why not just leave the AR to the AR and let the VR stuff do VR stuff? If you don't someone else will.

The technology might be similar sure but an actual product that does both seems like compromises on at least one end if not both.

Google Glass barely even counts as AR, it's a glorified HUD and neither it nor Hololens have limited FOV for the users benefit, but because the technology they're using doesn't allow for it. While you're right that adding blinders or whatever to the device would be of questionable benefit at this point due to the limited FOV, how long do you think that'll be the case for?

Apart from needing to block light from passing through the display (something that could be achieved with some opaque plastic), nothing else needs to be done to make a true AR device capable of rendering a virtual environment.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Making a product that removes a persons vision and asks them to move around blindly could be very dangerous if not done correctly. People hurting themselves using a product often spurs a lawsuit and let's not kid ourselves here, there have been plenty of successful lawsuits over products that are less dangerous than an Oculus Rift could potentially be, frivolous or not.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

What do you mean by flyaround games? DCS? Elite? A 970 or better is usable with any game right now.

FSX with FlyInside requires something with a little more kick, though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Walrus posted:

not a good idea

Yeah, I'm not that thrilled with the implementation either. I'm all for letting the user customising chaperone boundaries but handing over complete control to random developers might not be a great idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Tide posted:

Like, how much more kick?

I'm looking at the usual, i7 6700K, 16GB RAM, an SSD and a 1070. Should be enough for Prepar3d, FSX, or X Plane with graphics mods and flyinside, yeah?

You won't be able to crank detail to full on any reasonably priced setup, but a 1070 should give you a good experience after tweaking some settings.