Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Warbird posted:

I'm not entirely sure I'm happy I got a Vive. The thing has an extremely annoying habit of losing tracking mid session with no clear cause and then it'll either decide to resume working a few minutes later or I'll have to restart my PC. I've even had the basestations decide to stop working a few times. It kills me that I put this much down on the hardware, but I've found myself playing Overwatch instead of going through the trouble of fighting it into submission. I've not even played anything besides The Lab and a couple of 2 minute sessions of Tiltbrush. I'm really hoping I can get some passion for it with developing for the platform, but man am I not enthused with VR so far. I know it's early adopter beware/beta hardware and I really really hope it's just like Steam's early days where it'll become amazing in time.

I'm extremely happy with the Vive and I can't say I've had issues, but if you lose tracking it's probably not reflections, reflections are way worse as the headset can get confused.

You could try disabling bluetooth, I know some had their base stations shut down mid game because of it, also maybe switch to a USB 2, for some reason some motherboards have issues with the Vive and USB 3. Also make sure you upgraded all the drivers there have been a lot of updates.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

cathead posted:

The Kingspray thing was funnier when reddit was just freaking out out of the blue. After the whole Giant Cop thing came to light soon after though, I'm now a bit worried that it might actually happen, which kind of sucks because I'm really looking forward to it and I'd be bummed if I had to wait longer just for some dumb exclusivity crap. Obviously people are overreacting way too much, but at the same time, I can understand why people would feel burned by it.

Anyway this forum has it's own share of VR console war bullshit so I don't think we're all that much better.

I didn't read much other than speculation about king spray, and only because the developers were just silent about the entire thing, then Giant Cop happened.

I don't think it's overreaction to be really pissy about what oculus is doing.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Iridium posted:

certianly not overreaction to be pissy about it IF that's what's happened, but since we have literally almost zero evidence, it's way WAY overreaction to move so firmly to the assumption that OR-exclusivity is what's happened. when you have three people working on a game one a comparatively new platform, delays can and will happen.

But that's the way the speculation / accusations have gone, and have gone hardcore, in that special way that pubbies seem to like to go.

I'm talking about what actually happened with Giant Cop, exclusives don't just happen for no reason. King Spray we don't know yet since the devs have gone silent.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 14, 2016

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Randomosity posted:

"Wow. I can't believe Oculus isn't letting their main competitor control their ecosystem and make buckets of money from software sales." - People shocked at Oculus acting like a business, I guess.

Oculus is acting like no PC peripheral maker has ever done; I don't need to buy games based on the brand of my monitor. Also have completely done a 180 of all promises since the kickstarter.

Usually businesses show a little bit more respect for their customers especially when we are talking a purchase worth 600$.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Tom Guycot posted:

Your monitor or keyboard doesn't require it's own unique massively optimized software stack and well designed games just to function, let alone function well and give you a good experience.

Every device you plug into a PC has a driver.

A VR headset is just a monitor, it's not a console, we already have a library that works with both headsets because they are almost identical, the rift has software DRM to prevent you from playing any VR game on anything other than an Oculus headset.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Tom Guycot posted:

I think the problem is they really really don't want to just have a wrapper for steamVR work with their store. The moment they do that every single cheap horrible Chinese clone manufacturer's stuttering 60hz crap factory that works on steamVR and is coming out in a rush next year, will be able to use the oculus store and at that moment they've lost all quality control.

Since when is this a problem?

Which other online store limits their customers with software DRM?

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Tom Guycot posted:

In VR you basically have to play in supersperg sim mode, the casual modes will just get you destroyed by everyone flying with kb+m on a monitor. I quite enjoy it though, playing with a hotas setup at least, and I think the slower pace of sim mode where people aren't pulling off insane mouse aiming shots sucks you into the immersion more too.

It's good because supersperg sim mode is the only fun part of War Thunder. :colbert:

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Knifegrab posted:

Oh snap that makes me very excited, I've been kind of dying for content, my Vive has been collecting dust.

Just play onward.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

StarkRavingMad posted:

I feel like the whole Oculus/Vive console war should be dead by now. They're in basic parity once Touch is widely available, 99% of games are available for both, who even cares anymore. At this point I'm just rooting for the industry as a whole to survive, not worrying about which one you have.

As long as Oculus acts as if they were a console there will be a console war.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

NRVNQSR posted:

That's why I compared it to console VR, i.e. PSVR. I'd agree that current Lighthouse base stations are probably on the wrong side of user-friendly.

People really over-complicating the lighthouses.

Seriously it's enough to just place them on a surface on opposite sides of the room and you have tracking that's pretty much spotless, you only get better coverage the better you setup is, but in no way is it required.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Ciaphas posted:

I don't know how current the science on VR sickness is but from what I've been seeing around here, motion sickness as a result of VR locomotion is temporary for a lot of people, like rocking-waves-on-a-ship motion sickness is

of course for some it's totally intolerable, but it's interesting to me that the problem can go away for others (like me)

I got super sick in games on the DK2 but in the Vive I never felt anything, I think it's the 90 fps that does it, except that trackpad movement feels kinda odd before you get used to it.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Art of Fight is awful. The map is too small and fights end in an instant. Onward is so much better as a shooter since each round actually feels meaningful. That's without mentioning people looking like idiots with the "pro" locomotion mode.

I really liked the longer match times in onward though, six minutes is just too short.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib
I think I'll finally buy Arizona sunshine now that it has track pad movement. The teleport movement was the only thing that held me back.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

TomR posted:

Gonna have to be a new HMD to put eye tracking I would think. I mean I could be wrong but that seems like a pretty big thing to just stick in somehow.

Not really.

This is the size of the device we are talking about.
http://www.tobiipro.com/product-listing/tobii-pro-glasses-2/

Then again, I'm unsure if they'll actually release some kind of kit for original headsets.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 27, 2017

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

rage-saq posted:

I don't think HTC or Oculus will release a true v2 headset until Christmas-ish time 2018. LG has a new headset coming out at some undetermined period of time, but that is barely a Vive 1.5. It will need to get a pretty thorough comparison to the Vive to see if it pulls off noticable improvements. There are still a lot of things related to the tier1 quality VR experience that only the Vive and Rift pull off that are crucial to delivering a competitive VR experience.

This is kind of a misnomer, currently the LG headset is basically a Vive 1.5 but they were also really clear about that nothing was finished and one of the things they wanted to improve was the screens.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib
A treadmill seems awful for VR, you are stuck at one place and you can't prone, also it always takes space, not only when you whip out your Vive.

I dunno, maybe it's good but I don't see it.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Truga posted:

Not having prone just means there's 1 thing less to bind in games, tbh.

Not sure what you mean.

Anyway, Palmer is shaping up to be one of my favorite millionaires, I hope he continues to troll the media and just lives up his money in entertaining ways.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

It's worth it now, though not on PC. Gear VR and PSVR are much more affordable and still great.

I would say the other way around, considering the Vive even has a zero interest twelve month funding option the barrier for entry isn't exactly huge.

PSVR maybe that could be worth it, but GearVR? I don't know anyone who has them and use them regularly except for showing others VR.

I've gotten several hundreds of hours worth of gaming from my Vive, so I'd say it's been well worth the money.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 29, 2017

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Thor-Stryker posted:

So what kind of monstrosity will I need to power a 2k screen?

I thought the whole issue with 2k/4k screens was the lack of processing/video power?

You don't need a crazy card to drive those screens as you can just down sample the game. It's an unfortunate myth that a higher display resolution requires some ungodly video card to drive it.

Exioce posted:

As much as I wish I could be playing VR right now, it's better to wait for three things:

1. Foveated Rendering
2. Inside Out Tracking
3. Wireless

It's perhaps a little optimistic to hope for all those in Generation 2, but Generation 3 definitely.

While you wait people are playing VR, waiting for the next big thing in tech just makes you wait forever.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Hi goons, if you're not sold on Star Trek Bridge Crew a really handsome guy did a stream earlier today and will be doing another one shortly. My impression? It's amazing.

Yeah, I just came back from an hour of playing it, it's really good.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib
The Vive is also discounted during the Steam sale

https://blog.vive.com/us/2017/06/22/vive-jumps-on-steam-summer-sale-with-discounts-on-vive-hardware-and-software/

749$ includes bridge crew

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib
The new controllers look fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCkD5aM3AwQ

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Truga posted:

I find that highly unlikely. I'd go for D1E's theory, or maybe they're trying to old console bait and switch trick with cheap hardware but expensive games :v:

I doubt it, oculus has said before that a new rift isn't close.

An injunction isn't very likely either, more probably they'll solve it with money if it comes to that.

I think this is more about that locking people into their software isn't that great of a business model if you have the arguably inferior product as a minority on a tiny market.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Paingod556 posted:

Dunno if anyone has posted this yet but, I guess it's Vives counter to the super-cheap Oculus offer? :effort:

https://www.vive.com/au/front-defense-special-edition/

$100 off (it's ~$1300 in 'Straya so) free copy of a game I've not heard of before, and a special cover thing.

Front defense is garbage but the offer sounds good to me.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

8one6 posted:

Speaking of the cable any recent news about the wireless adapter for the Vive?

Most recent is that they are aiming for a release in the US very soon, it also won't be the same version as the Chinese version which you can buy today but an upgraded one.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

eonblue174 posted:

Just got my rift n touch, no Xbox controller and it was in its own special package with no spot for one. But anyways, are there any vr games that give the feel of this gif?

https://twitter.com/XenosynthPlus/status/895088943992946688

http://store.steampowered.com/app/667970/VTOL_VR/

(Actually don't know how good it is, I haven't played it)

Forgot

http://store.steampowered.com/app/527100/Star_Trek_Bridge_Crew/

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Aug 9, 2017

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib
HTC are running some weird flash sale thing for people in the US?

http://store.us.vive.com/store/htcus/html/pbPage.mystery-flash-sale

It's 50 - 200 bucks off?

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Stick100 posted:

One of the things I'm worried about with the Pimax is the current version they are showing is using the V1 lighthouse, but they claim they will update to the V2 lighthouse. I'm sure people would be very annoyed if they get the headset and find out it's stuck on V1 and then shortly Valve starts selling the cheap V2 (which in theory allow unlimited volumes).

Pimax looks incredible between resolution bump and massive FOV but I'm going to wait for reviews of actual kick-started produced units personally and suggest all but the most enthused enthusiast wait.

They are confirmed V2 lighthouses. I have really high hopes about pimax.

I backed them, I have no reason to believe they can't deliver, at worst the headset might not be too great but even then it's only 450 bucks. Their last headset was really good, the only (major) flaw was the tracking.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 1, 2017

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

The Walrus posted:

ahahaha holy jesus if this is what we can expect from Microsoft's biggest games property at the launch of their mixed reality headsets I don't see how it's not already dead in the water

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRoBezMrF3M

Lmao, what the poo poo?

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

nightwisher posted:

I like to imagine it was a bug id weren't even aware of because they were forbidden from QA'ing the game on a Rift :v:

Pretty much this, if they actually wanted to make a hardware lock they could have easily done so in a way that SteamVR couldn't do anything about.

And in a much more difficult to crack way than Google Maps did with just a string in a script file.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib
I always tell people to stay away from the phone based VR stuff, 90% of the times it's a waste of money.

I've never met a real person who actually used his gearvr as in game on it or watch movies, that said, there are some fun simple games people have made and I as recently as a week ago met a company which started out making games to gearvr so who knows apparently there are people there liking it.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

rage-saq posted:

Star Wars kid was just ahead of his time, now it’s a popular VR game!

Star wars kid was totally badass.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

CodfishCartographer posted:

Oh I'm sure it will, but hopefully there'll be a decent number of Actually Good tracks. The problem with user-created content is many gamers tend to think that developing a game is the same as playing it, and thus they try to make their levels / beat maps / whatever as hard as possible so they can "beat" anyone that tries to play it. Also so they can smugly go "well -I- can clear it" if anyone accuses it of being too hard.

We really need a goon approved repository of those things, the last one I downloaded had two same color notes above each other pointing at the same direction several times.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

nightwisher posted:

Wait, do you mean like: [> ] [> ] ? Because those are in like, every expert song. You just cut through all of them in that direction. I would have thought it'd be pretty simple to understand what's required.

Yeah, no, as others said literally above each other.

[>]
[>]

It's the dumbest thing in a game about slicing cubes.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

The Grey posted:

I've never played a music rhythm game in VR before. Should I get Audio Shield, Beat Saber, Sound Boxing, Box VR or something else? Maybe Rez or Thumper?

Beat Saber, I'd stay away from Audio Shield unless you're not bothered by generated beat tracks.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Knifegrab posted:

But if asus didn't inject money into ubisoft Far Cry 6 would never exist, stop complaining!

The camp that keeps talking about how VR would die if Oculus didn't fund a bunch of companies making half assed games that only half of the PC playerbase can play is hilarious to me.

I guess they're glad that Facebook bought Oculus and completely changed their business model because if they hadn't VR would have been gone by now.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

EbolaIvory posted:

It’s fun. But so far I don’t get the hype. It’s a decent game and puzzler so far so I’m having a decent time but I’m not losing myself over it. I’ll be back to Beat Saber tomorrow.

It was pretty much the best demo at the launch of the Vive and got a lot of traction for it, nowadays there are a lot of other games that I'd rather play.

[edit] My post seemed overly negative, It's still a good game, but it's main fanbase comes from the early Vive days and back then I'd gush on it too but now the teleportation in a long form game pretty much kills it for me.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 15, 2018

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Truga posted:

Touchpads have always been better than joysticks but some idiots still to this day insist of having their nipples on thinkpads.

We're now seeing the same, but with controllers. Almost everyone I know who's given the steam controller touchpads a longer spin than "just tried it" never wants to go back, but surely we need a bunch of sticks in VR now. :cripes:

And don't get me wrong, sticks own for certain things, but for movement, a touchpad has all the pros of keyboard moving and none of the drawbacks.

Yeah, I agree, the I'm sad to see the touchpad go :/

It was one of the reasons I way prefered the vive wand over oculus touch.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

FreelanceSocialist posted:

I think we might be able to corner the market on this if we start development immediately.

In other news, this poo poo just got delivered :smug:

Was going to make a reddit account just to troll /r/vive since they now hate HTC or something, but :effort:

Cool, I really like my Pro, I regret a little bit that I didn't get the 2.0 basestations with it but w/e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Lemming posted:

Yeah as another experiment I put a piece of paper in front of my left eye to remove IPD setting as a variable and it still caused eye strain and some motion sickness. Eugh.

There is something wrong with your 5k, mine is amazing and I've had it for a few weeks now, by far the best headset out there bar none. I would instantly recommend it over any other barring that you have the computer for it. I just came back playing for several hours.

I could never go back to any 110 degree fov headsets ever again.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 29, 2018