Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

And for those who backed Timewatch(!) the PDFs dropped. They've been better about information in the past year but it still seemed like something to linger on forever.

Now my most overdue KS is 13th Age Glorantha. That one has been kind of disappointing seeing as we're a year overdue without any real explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Seems like whoever controls the Walking Dead license is shooting for some kind of survival of the fittest method to determine market dominance. Mantic has the advantage of starting earlier and sure, the focus of their game is more PVP than cooperative, but drat that's gotta suck.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

FastestGunAlive posted:

Zweihander, a WHFRP 1e retroclone: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grimandperilous/zweihander-grim-and-perilous-rpg

I've never played WHFRP but I am kind of interested. I'd thrown in a few bucks but the $20 tier is an art free early access pdf rather than the full deal most kick starters do at that price.

drat, that Slayer is really, really close to WFB/WFRP. Like...to the point where I can see a C&D happening.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

That's what I wondered - as I see it, they don't have a single miniature design to call their own at this point despite still showing it on their campaign page. All they have is some board game mechanics for representing robot combat. I don't think these guys are done making unforced errors just yet.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

A Pathfinder setting based more or less directly on an rpg.net thread from 10 years ago.

I'm simultaneously surprised no one has tried this before and curious if there is potential liability in taking someone else's ideas like this. I somehow don't buy that he stopped reading the original thread after the first couple of posts.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

This guy's going to be the next Marvel or Lord of the Rings, and it's all gonna start from a Hearthstone ripoff. The ambition here makes the Far West transmedia empire look positively modest.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

darnon posted:

There's a big chunk of backers pissed at Dropfleet because originally Hawk expected to complete KS backer shipping around US Thanksgiving. Meanwhile retailers were receiving stock in October. But on into December and the last 100 'known' orders were still trickling out the door when they realized there's another 200+ whose orders disappeared from their pledge manager export. Many of those (myself included) still haven't had any response since chiming up on their request to contact at the beginning of December.

Meanwhile Mantic air freighted my 10lbs of Warpath last week overnight from England to the US so they're pretty cool in my book.

I'm in the same boat. Delays in shipping are to be expexted, but not responding to emails from nearly a month ago and counting is kind of pissing me off.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

drat, while the numbers listed on the pledge levels don't quite add up right, we can infer that the mean backer was in for $643, the median backer is in for around $300 and there were at least 2,957 people went in for $1,000 or more. The desire for titty miniatures is incredible.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

So can somebody recap what's gone wrong with the Robotech KS? I know there was a second wave that appears to have become vaporware, but that's about all I know.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

I thought Dead of Winter was a critical darling. Huh. What is wrong with it?

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

New edition of Talislanta. Slightly different setting (or timeframe), but the part that throws me is putting it out in three different rulesets. Nothing but trouble there. I was kind of hoping we had moved beyond that KS goal as a people.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

There is no way that's not parody, but god drat is that good parody. For a minute I truly believed the Timecube guy had gotten his grog on.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Slimnoid posted:

Putting ads in comic books certainly helped matters. I saw those a lot as a kid, well before I even saw a single Palladium book out in the wild, and I always wanted to know more about that robot smashing the head of another robot in some Blood Sport-looking fist-fight.

I played a fair amount of Rifts back in the day and the comic ads were absolutely what brought me in.

That's an evocative image for a 12 year old to see. There were some others including one showing Skelebots walking through a city ruin. I feel like those ads were the perfect place to advertise at the perfect time - the height of the comic book speculator boom that brought comic sales to their highest point in history. Siembieda got lucky for a number of reasons and is still reaping some probably undeserved goodwill.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

There is absolutely nothing in this Kickstarter page to in any way recommend it, but man, I am charmed by the idea.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Expanded Fragged Empire is up.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

The thing about Invisible Sun is that I have to believe the market for it is substantially tapped already. How many people are clamoring for a $200+ dollar game that didn't get it in KS?

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Strongholds and Streaming looks like it will take the record for most raised for an RPG kickstarter. It's been on the market for a little over a day and is nearly in the number two spot. I assume this is mainly due to the guy's popularity on Youtube because a fairly focused 128 page sourcebook seems like a strange contender.

He also seems to be making a whole lot of first time KS mistakes such as including lots of T shirts and stickers. Hopefully his experience with Youtube will give him a leg up.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Minimum $110 for a physical copy of a supplement, huh? That's... oof. Even for a fancy deluxe edition, that's a big ask.

I'm surprised that they're going for the foil edging again after what a pain it seemed to be to produce the first time, as well as the general mess it leaves around when opening the book.

I don't understand why they don't bother with a cheaper at-cost printing level. You can't tell me that a 40 or 50 dollar tier with at cost printing wouldn't make them money. Unfortunately, I don't see paying in 110 bucks for a physical copy and I gotta believe I'm not alone there. I am also surprised there is no way to get physical copies of the main book at higher tiers.

Looking back at other Onyx Path Kickstarters, though, it doesn't seem like any of this is unusual.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Guy Goodbody posted:

There's a kickstarter for a robot game called Cav: Strike Ops. Anybody know anything about these Talon Game guys?

I'm torn. On the one hand, robot miniature game. On the other hand, all the robots look really bad, and the game is called Cav, which is the worst name for a miniatures game I've ever heard.

I backed the first one. The robots are...bad. They were made of Bones plastic which doesn't work well with lots of straight lines. Like all Bones KSes, though, the models sure are plentiful. They make good fodder for Horizon Wars games and a handful of the designs were genuinely okay.

The rules are an okay also-ran mech game. The main innovation is the ablative stat numbers that add easy consequences to damage without needing tona of rules a la Battletech. They're heavier than Alpha Strike but not nearly as bad as btech standard.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

It's not small.

EverettLO fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 14, 2018

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Covok posted:

What the gently caress is that thing?

A choose your own adventure RPG book in the vein of Fighting Fantasy books but with more humor.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

I don't hate the Alexandrian despite the dissociated mechanics crap, but this article will always be the one that most makes me question his bonafides.

Just a mess of cherry picking 3e for situations that seem vaguely realistic in support of this point:

quote:

One of the most impressive things about 3rd Edition is the casual realism of the system. You can plug real world values into it, process them through the system, and get back a result with remarkable fidelity to what would happen in the real world.

Rules as physics is a hopeless goal, but it is unfathomably hopeless with 3e.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

So this is entirely off topic but I have some questions someone might be able to answer: Does Fria Ligan do their publishing in Sweden, or do they get their KSes fulfilled by Chinese publishers? If they do get it done in Sweden, does Sweden have some kind of government tax incentive to publishing? It seems like they manage to put out books for prices that most American/Canadian/English/other EU companies can't match. Riotminds, in their Trudvang Chronicles KS, also seemed to put out way more book per dollar than expected, although I'm not sure they're Swedish.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Kings of War RPG KS has been going for a couple of days and I had no idea because Mantic didn't send out a reminder email or a reminder through KS to backers of other Mantic projects.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1178384921/kings-of-war-the-roleplaying-game

It's doing okay, but it seems like the lack of advertisement is hurting the total.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

I'm considering backing Time of Legends Joan of Arc 1.5. It looks like an interesting take on historicals with a mix of narrative bits to make it more interesting. That said, it also looks overly complex and a bitch to set up. Has anyone played it? Does it play any better than the mess it looks like?

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

We're around 2 days into a 33 day KS and the guy has to make over 33,000 sets of dice. I sure hope he has a backup plan better than 'I've trained a couple of other people'.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

A revised edition boxed set of Harnmaster:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/columbiagames/harnmaster-boxed-set-updated-and-upgraded

I have to admit, I've always been charmed by Harn since it represents a type of gameplay and a type of grog that has basically gone extinct: the type that thinks medieval fantasy should have heavier focus on the medieval than the fantasy. Presumably the same type who enjoyed the premise behind Fantasy Wargaming: The Highest Level of All.

The drat thing comes in cardstock that you need to supply your own binders for! Amazing.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Role is up now.

The main selling point for me is the exclusive Lancer: Battlegroup content. Beyond that, the biggest concern I have is how far along they are. They're proposing jumping in the market with what looks like a technically advanced VTT with a bunch of moving parts, so seeing some of it in action would be nice. Especially with a funding goal so low.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Lemon-Lime posted:

but absolutely nothing about what niche this fills or what it does better than existing alternatives.

They don't advertise it as better than existing alternatives, but they're clearly shooting for two main new features: solid video integration, which is almost totally lacking in VTTs right now, and a more robust player matching system. Frankly both seem like good goals to pursue, particularly video since the best option right now for integrated video is Roll20 and it's...not great. The exclusives and market integration doesn't seem like anything new.

Considering they seem to be angling themselves more toward the storygame end of the market, not having maps at launch may not be as big as issue as it seems. Their idea of making it feel more like a natural table by having everyone's face up there seems like a solid idea to me, since most of my VTT experience involves Skype running behind something else and not seeing other players most of the time.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Lots of high-gloss designer mockups and copious amounts of words about all the ways they plan on monetising this

That's the real issue for me, though. Having a solid video integration is one hell of a task and I have no idea what team they have, what progress they have, or any indication that this is an any way a realistic product.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

New Hellboy RPG from Mantic.

Using 5e.

I know all the reasons that makes perfect sense from their standpoint, but drat, how disappointing.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Zurai posted:

... that still doesn't actually explain anything.

What I meant is that class/level based gameplay isn't great for Hellboy. The comics have parties with wildly varying power levels and abilities. This can be accomplished satisfactorily, notably by Cortex or FATE or other more narrative systems. A grid based combat system where the primary difference in power level is reflected by levels is going to have to be shoehorned to fit both Hellboy and a more standard BPRD agent.

Additionally, the race/class thing will limit the creativity of players to make unique agents in a way an effects based system wouldn't.

There honestly haven't been too many 5e attempts to really push the system like there was in 3e, so maybe they'll come out and make a 5th edition version of something like Mutants and Masterminds, but i doubt it. I expect a very high production value book that does almost nothing new to make the system work for a modern setting.

Edit: additionally, 5e doesn't do much beyond straight combat all that well. The entire investigative part of Hellboy comics will be an afterthought rather than a core part of the game.

EverettLO fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 3, 2020

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

I always thought Death Korps and by extension the Eisenkern Stormtroopers were modeled after late WWI Germans.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Hasbro is crowdfunding Heroquest.

I mean, yeah, they've done it before and this isn't new, but I don't understand why they don't just call it a preorder. I have to assume that the stretch goal model is too lucrative to give up.

I will also be amused to see the reaction now that they cut the GW elements out completely, even if it was predicted by the sharper elements of the fandom.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Some new MÖRK BORG stuff. I've heard complaints that this game is all flash and little substance, but I'm pretty unlikely to want to play an OSR game without a hell of a lot of flash to make it go down easier.

Also, from the testimonials, apparently Grognardia is back?

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Savage Pathfinder is up.

I still can't quite wrap my head around the draw here. Unlike Savage Rifts, there is a mostly functional ruleset in Pathfinder 2e if people wanted to reuse things, and Savage Worlds doesn't lend itself as well to traditional tabletop fantasy as it does more modern settings. Seems to be a success, though.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

dwarf74 posted:

I mean - more power to them. I dig the new Savage Worlds ruleset and have been running it for over a year. But I simply don't know why I'd want this.

Maybe this is Paizo fans disappointed by PF 2e?

I guess. I'm not hating on Savage Worlds, and I like what they did with Rifts. It just seems like there are a million variations on D&D that would make for an easier conversion, not the least of which is PF2e. Savage Worlds, and especially SWADE, seems to have a heaver focus on ranged combat and comparatively limited magic than would fit in most tabletop fantasy worlds.

I can see why Pinnacle would want to get their hands on it, but from Paizo's perspective all I can figure is that it's easy money.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

If there's anyone left who didn't know, The One Ring is getting a second edition by Fria Ligan.

It's on track to be their biggest Kickstarter ever. I liked the first edition and Fria Ligan always delivers, so I am looking forward to this one.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

CobiWann posted:

I love Free League's work and can't wait to play!

It still amazes me that, in an industry drat near formed around Lord of the Rings, it took almost forty years to get a decent game for actually playing it.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

CobiWann posted:

It isn't just D&D in Middle-Earth. It places an emphasis on downtime activities that's just as important as active adventuring, and things like Honor and Renown are just as, if not more important, than collecting Treasure (which actually increases your susceptibility to the Enemy).

This is a good explanation. The One Ring is the first game to actually try to represent what happened in the books rather than just assuming that all fantasy games are combat-centric D&D derivatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

"Alien Rope Burn" posted:

stuff

This is perfect, right down to the comic book, ink heavy art in the Palladium style. I've been looking for this game for a few years now.