Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Jedit posted:

Lucky you. I just got Tokaido Collector's Edition yesterday, 18 months late. I paid for it in March 2014.

How late in the kickstarter did you order? At this rate, I'm going to have to have it forwarded to my new house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

signalnoise posted:

It's so easy to want a game and want to play it and not want to play it 2 years or whatever later. Crazy, right!?

Man, I want to keep this game after the wait, but I really don't think I'm gonna have fun playing it at this point. Maybe I'll trade it with a friend.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

BrainParasite posted:

Where is her other leg?

She's not kneeling. She's standing like a flamingo would.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Payoff Pitch Baseball 1948 and Pine Tar Baseball 1915 look like they tried to turn Out of the Park Baseball into a board game. Just a bunch of charts.

In my imagination, these two people are bitter rivals. The historical baseball simulation hobby has a deep schism, some aficionados have stopped speaking to each over this edition war.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

FRINGE posted:

At first I didnt give a poo poo, but Im getting more curious about Cooks black box thing. IS anyone actually getting it? (I cant afford to do that right now, but am wondering if anyone is getting the direct updates or anything interesting?)

You can pay $1 to get a pdf of the not quickstart rules six months from now.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

NGDBSS posted:

So what we have here is a conflict resolution system with three distinct but not independent variables, which can easily spiral out of control in the best hands.

I wonder if the point of having so heavily obfuscated a main resolution mechanic that you literally can't tell if it makes any sense is that it fits the setting.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Cassa posted:

I thought Tryke was cute at least. Hilarious the winter barbarian wouldn't look out of place as the pinup version either.

Unfortunately, they're not selling background scenery, so no one will get the joke.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Why is there a three paragraph long hyperlink in this kickstarter?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Wow, exciting. :effort:

And a d24 based system, eh?

I can't wait for this game's exhaustive explanation of the difference between an island and an islet.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

There was a game that kickstarted about a year ago that I hadn't funded that I'd like to check up on.

I would describe it as a version of Talisman as re-imagined by stoners. Or possibly a grittier version of Mertwigg's Maze.

The features that I most distinctly remember are that the board was a garish technicolor map, and there was a big blue cardboard warty hand prop that was 'the hand of the necromancer' and made locations really dangerous when it pointed there.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

It was. Thank you. I'm not surprised I couldn't find it, it seems it's in the development doldrums after they have anything interesting to post, but before they're nearing completion.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I'm reading the preview version of Paranoia, and I'm pretty sure the player's handbook doesn't actually describe Alpha Complex at any point. I was expecting to be disappointed, I was not expecting the book to be missing an entire chapter?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

HopperUK posted:

There's another book called 'Guide to Alpha Complex'. That might be what you're after.

Yeah. That sounds like the problem. That's not in my download list at all.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

That reminds me how in one edition (I think it was XP) the writers talk about how, when you had a mixed group of players who were experienced with Paranoia and ones who were completely new, there's the problem of the experienced players terminating the new players' characters for not knowing basic setting stuff and how that's actually a bad thing because it drives people away from playing again.

I'm sorry citizens, there was a temporary memorex transfer failure that may have deleted basic setting stuff from your brains. Please report any troubleshooters who remember basic setting details as they may be traitors.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's a lot of "yeah I screwed up this and this and that but Ash did that and that".

The best part of the update is the first line:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjcrmE7XRtI

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

gourdcaptain posted:

Now here's the tough question: is it better or worse than Paranoia 5th Edition? It doesn't exist, mind you, but would it before better than that hypothetical trainwreck of an edition?

Is there an F&F of [redacted] edition? It was the first edition I encountered, and it was long enough ago that I can't recall what was wrong with it, thanks to Friend Computer's mandatory brainscrubs.

My only complaint with this is that it ditches the conceit that players are supposed to pretend they don't know that everyone has a secret society and mutant power.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 16, 2017

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Hostile V posted:

I think the thing that ultimately explains the major differences between this and the previous edition is as follows: rules for laser guns.

Hmm, I thought that was a subtle but incredibly poorly thought out joke about Mass Effect.

My takeaway moment that this edition probably doesn't 'get it' is that they removed Communists.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Hostile V posted:

And that really wasn't meant to be a Mass Effect joke on my end, I sincerely do think that looking at the small parts like that are a great way to see the big problems that came together to make the changes in front of me.

All of those things that you complained about are accurate. I meant on their part. Mass Effect 1 had battery packs instead of bullets because the future and then they went back to bullets in future installments because of complaints. It's probably an overread on my part. It's more likely the joke is about having to plug things you carry around all the time in regularly to recharge them, which is potentially a good gag but they forgot to explain how the joke works to the GM.

Edit: Also I found the Fatal & Friends on [redacted] edition. I think given my maturity level when I played it, I can see why I didn't notice anything wrong. Aside from the fact that, I pulled a D&D and threw out all the rules I didn't like.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 17, 2017

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I finished reading all of the content in the new Paranoia and, I'm convinced that the funniest joke in the entire thing is that the new edition comes in a white box with a white gloss label which is virtually impossible to read at any reasonable angle.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Hex Kit is done, and it looks like it's pretty much exactly what I was looking for in a hex map utility app. It's $15 on itch.io if you want to pick it up for yourself.

Edit:

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 29, 2017

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

8 dollars for a digital version of the game design book. That's the tier to back at IMO.

The kickstarter has already made it, and all this companies pdf books sell for $8 so maybe don't bother.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

Rifts miniatures boardgame Kickstarter. Surely nothing can go wrong right?

http://www.palladiumbooks.com/index...ates&Itemid=183

Oh, man, someone is going to have to remind me what's actually happening with "optioned by Walt Disney". Nothing right? Because that could be a hilarious film.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Nothing. There's a script treatment out there- Palladium sells it. :v:

Looks like rppr did a reading of it, so I should watch that.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

That Old Tree posted:

Who needs those "real apology"-wanting suckers? He's got this stellar guy in his corner:

EDIT: Good leaping fucks, 1300+ comments already.

What exactly are the "right reasons" to support a kickstarter?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

To happily submit yourself at the feet of God-Emperor Capitalism.

Seems to me that people who were 'rational' in their 'self-interest' would stay the hell away from kickstarter.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

inklesspen posted:

It's not for a game (though there's a rough draft of a game in the stretch goals.) It's not a novel. It's podcasts of him playing a game you can't buy anywhere.

Get back to me when Brenda Romero pitches this and I'll consider it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Ominous Jazz posted:

This gotta be a weird metatextual thing that's taking itself too seriously

He's going to wait until the last day and suddenly cancel the kickstarter. That's the termination shock.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Meanwhile...

RPG Of The Month Club Vol. 2 is a thing that's happening. Get twelve RPGs over a year for a buck a pop!

Looks like there's a game called Darker Dungeons in Vol. 1. Did he not know that there was already a game called that, or did he not care?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Play as a dog in A Dog's Life! The only downside here is the massive leap in price between base edition and the deluxe just adding more miniatures. I mean, it's more dogs, so that's awesome. But they're expensive.

"The perfect gift just in time for Christmas" seems like a very dangerous promise.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

WiiFitForWindows8 posted:

What was SA's thoughts on Invisible Sun?

We ran a contest where everyone wrote RPGs named after The Police song titles.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

homullus posted:

Actually, it's "bears" as in "carries, conveys." Each of the miniatures has at least one head.

Finally, a source for my cephalophore mini needs!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Nope. He just keeps describing it as a "black card, white card" game.

That seems a little unfair to apples to apples.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Wait. If Numenera 2 doesn't change any mechanics AND it doesn't change the setting, what is changing?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I do recall finding it bewildering that a game that is clearly about exploration had so few exploration or logistics mechanics.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

Also lol playtesting is locked behind a $170.00 pledge tier. Amazing.

I'm not going to pay $170 for the privilege of getting my face gnawed off by 18 rats.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Impermanent posted:

god if this game isn't that i'm making this game.

Please do regardless. I'd be eager to see some design discussion of this concept in the retroclone thread. I am sort of already designing a similar game behind the scenes.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

[quote="“dwarf74”" post="“477119502”"]
I kinda feel bad for the people running Empyrea.

It’s very clear they think the Kicktraq chart is an accurate representation of where they will end up. This gem was in the Comments from the guy running the social media.
[/quote]

But if you have any experience with kicktraq their chart is dire looking. 50000 first day 2500 first week tails for a 200k project. There's pretty much a 0% chance of success unless they can sell this somewhere (and where will they go, if not dragonsfoot?)

E: The dropoff is immediate second day too.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 6, 2017

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Seems like a comparable situation to Seafall, right? And Seafall's score is garbage.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Frank Metzner's Empyrean finally posted an update. The update is that they intend to relaunch the kickstarter with a lower goal.
(For some reason the update is backers only, I'm sure it describes why this is feasible, and their revised 'strategy' but I won't be able to take a look until after work.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Wow, that's the only kickstarter I've ever seen that has an upper limit on the total amount of money that can be pledged toward the campaign.