Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The letters not on the table don't seem to give you points and it looks like the points value of letters is determined by random draw. The goal therefore appears to be to come up with a word that fits as many high-scoring letters in it as possible, not just any long word.

Most people don't have the entire contents of the dictionary memorised, so the game is going to be about pitting your vocabulary against your friends'.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Nov 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Shipping costs fluctuate and that's why no sane KS factors them into pledge levels any more, I'm not sure why anyone is still shocked by this.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tekopo posted:

So there's this: Way of the Fighter. I'm already put off by the dice rolling mechanism, but I need to do a more thorough analysis. It's Soda Pop though so I'm hesitant. I also already have two fighting games and I don't think I need a third.

The thumbnail for their video: wow, that's blatant.

e; generic luchador who might be not-El-Fuerte (from SF4), not-Heart (from Arcana Heart), not-Kyo (from KoF), not-Christie (from Tekken) with Laura's (from SF5) colour scheme, not-Zangief (from SF), in case anyone was wondering.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 16, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Not sure why you'd want to set your campaign in the US rather than suburban Sweden, though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Congratulations to Far West.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
e; I have no idea how this posted twice at the same time with one press of the post button. :confused:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm glad to see the Kingdom Death backers are popping out of the woodworks to say they consider naked titty minis to be identical to space marines or magic steam-powered robots.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

LordAba posted:

Well it looks like there might be some competition:
https://www.level99games.com/seventh-cross

The details are light right now but seriously.... Level99 making a dark dungeon crawl. LEVEL loving 99. Imagine KD:Monster made by someone with a talent for game design.
It probably won't have minis, which means it won't be 200+ dollars.

I'm glad they're doing something with the characters from the second Exceed wave, which look way more interesting and way less skeevy than the first one.

:lol: at this character, though:

(He looks like a thinkly-veiled Ragna knockoff.)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

S.J. posted:

Looks more like Sin to me :v:

He's both mashed up together. :v:

Also I doubt that Seventh Cross will be a $200 minis game. L99 do cards, and there are several card-based dungeon crawlers out there already, and having rooms drawn from a deck is the easiest way to make it GMless.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

Vincent Baker announced yesterday that the US paperbacks and hardcovers shipped for Apocalypse World 2.0!

Shame he missed the start of the actual apocalypse by a day. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

senrath posted:

I'm not sure how many actual TG trainwrecks there are to talk about. Far West is the only big one I can think of that's still going on. Admittedly I'm not counting "amazingly dumb rules system" or "obviously only ever played some version of D&D" as trainwrecks on their own.

And for amazingly bad projects themselves there's always the Awful Kickstarters thread in PYF.

Yeah, there aren't enough TG Kickstarter trainwrecks to sustain a thread, the Far West trainwreck posts belong in this one.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Is there anyone in the UK or EU who hasn't received their Apocalypse World 2e books yet? I'm in the UK and still haven't gotten my softcover.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Flavivirus posted:

On the UK, no book yet for me either.

Cool, thanks - I'm guessing he's not done shipping them yet, then.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

palecur posted:

Level 99's Exceed Season 2 is coming 'this week,' so in the next 3 days. I haven't been let down by a L99 release yet.

I'll probably get all 16 characters assuming the shipping is sensible.

It's probably not going to be sensible though. :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Don't worry lemon-lime I'll be getting them no matter what :v:

But this one contains zero giant-titted Nazis.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm pretty sure we established ages ago that all that matters is that there's content being made for D&D. The quality of the content is irrelevant.

The quality of D&D is also irrelevant.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Does it come with the genericised version of Marvel Heroics that has character creation rules that MWP have supposedly been working on for the last several years? :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's just a shame the $100 tier is actually a $200 After Shipping and Import Taxes tier if you live in 99% of the world. :rip:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, Street Masters already made its goal, so Kyoryu, the guy who is totally legally distinct from Kyo or Ryu, will be coming to a gaming store near you.

He's actually just Kyo in Ryo's clothing, so a mashup of two KoF characters instead. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Peas and Rice posted:

If you enjoy the campaign focus of Pendragon but want a slightly different setting, Paladin uses the Pendragon system and places the game in Carolingian Europe. It's also only $15 to grab a PDF of what looks like a massive, beautiful book.

Yeah, for that price, I'm happy to back it without seeing it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Setting stuff that is tightly integrated via mechanics owns and is how things should be designed, just like mechanics embodying your theme. Generic systems and settings are poo poo and there's enough of them already. If your setting is just a pile of fluff with zero mechanics to represent it, you're doing it wrong.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 28, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Impermanent posted:

just not being whedon-meets-deadpool level of self-aware about it.

Okay, but neither Spellbound Kingdoms' inspirations or Blades in the Dark's spirit bells are that, so which games/mechanics were you talking about, exactly?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mr.Misfit posted:

Yeah but...there are only two genders? You canīt really expand beyond binary unless you wanna go into fantasy territory. Which I mean, sure, itīs "The Thing The Game", go for it, I guess?

You're thinking of sexes. Sex and gender aren't the same thing.

(And technically, there aren't two of those either, depending on how you classify individuals with intersex characteristics.)

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 9, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mr.Misfit posted:

if a bit like something of a social fad.

:rolleyes: Gender identity is a concept that was discovered in the 1960s.

Maybe you should consider going out and learning more things before posting about them? Unless you want to start complaining that women shouldn't have the vote and African-Americans aren't people.

preemptive edit: if your response to people kindly taking time out of their day to explain basic facts about the human psyche that have been common knowledge for years is to parrot the rhetoric of bigots, don't be surprised if people assume you're a bigot or a troll.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 9, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

jivjov posted:

Gender has been a concept for a LOT longer than that. We've got records from ancient Rome talking about people with nonbinary gender identities and the like.

I should've put quote marks around "discovered" because yes, nonbinary gender identities have been a thing for literal millennia at this point.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ettin posted:

Alright yeah, gender chat has gone on long enough. Take it to the chat thread or something :v:

*bursts into the room an hour after everyone has left* ALRIGHT EVERYONE IM THE POLICE AND IM CLOSING DOWN THIS ILLEGAL PARTY

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Aug 10, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm backing it because it's a cool piece of design and it's interesting as a game that is explicitly about something.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
How much of a badly broken mess is the Cavaliers system? Because I love planetary romance.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

Put in a dollar temporarily to get access to the text and you can find out for yourself!

A dollar and a bunch of time I don't have right now, when we could divide the labour of finding out by subcontracting it entirely to someone else! :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

Wait. If Numenera 2 doesn't change any mechanics AND it doesn't change the setting, what is changing?

The first edition was already so bad that they couldn't make the second one any worse, so of course the mechanics haven't changed.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's a potentially neat concept but unfortunately Monte Cook is not competent.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Okay, but that comfort zone is poo poo and everything he produces in it is bad. Whether that's a result of the comfort zone being poo poo and Monte being mediocre, or the comfort zone being poo poo and Monte being poo poo, is academic.

Yes, he's not SKR, but that only goes so far. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

LuiCypher posted:

So with a tagline like 'Retro Open-World Survival Fantasy RPG' - it's just D&D, right?

I mean, there's plenty of space for a game that's actually (competently) designed to run sandbox wilderness adventure campaigns, because D&D sure as hell isn't.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's buzzword bingo but it specifically describes hexcrawls and not "just about any RPG." :shrug:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 22, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

do we, as a hobby, as an industry, and as a species, really need another generic fantasy setting at this point?

No.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tekopo posted:

I'm always really careful with RPG kickstarters because there isn't an equivalent of the "No Rules, No Pledge" rule, since the rules for an RPG are the entirety of the product.

There definitely is. Plenty of RPG KSes will share a draft of the rules with $1 backers, and plenty of people don't back unless the draft is available.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Megazver posted:

They're important to videogame Kickstarters. Tabletop RPGs, unless you already have the skills to make an amazing one, don't bother.

This.

It's way more important to have a good-looking, well-written and clear project page for RPGs, and a draft of the rules people can see before committing.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The fact that the dick lion and friends aren't in the TTS module doesn't make the game and its creators any less disgusting.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cat Face Joe posted:

im proud of the brave people willing to stand up for the rape and tiddy game that made fourteen million dolers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It looks neat, but I'm a little worried by this paragraph:

quote:

The Resistance is bolstered by an unlikely alliance of radical Leftists, right wing militias, Christian extremists, and wealthy entrepreneurs, whose grievances with the Regime overpower the seething contempt they have for each other. As linchpins of the Resistance, the Receivers must take great pains to prevent the alliance from fracturing. If they allow ideology to trump strategy, the factions will fall back on their worst tendencies, handing the Regime the political victories it needs to maintain a stranglehold on the people.