Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

berzerkmonkey posted:

So here's an interesting one: 3D Bases.

First off, not bases. Second, I thought "Yeah they look kind of nice, but who the hell wants to lug around 24 heavy plastic 1'x1' tiles to the game store?"

Then I scrolled down and watched the stress test video - the tiles are some sort of hybrid plastic/rubber that you can twist the hell out of and it returns to the original shape with little to no deformation (as far as I could see, anyway.)

They're pretty pricey for the ruins tiles (a 4'x4' table would hit the $320 USD mark,) but it's a pretty neat concept.

I always wish you could get these with grids.

They do look great for straight war gaming though. Wonder how the flexibility goes with paint?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

If they're broadly compatible with any of the Dwarven Forge sets, but at a bonesium fraction of the price, these things are going to catch fire.

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/69716-secret-weapon-tablescapes-dungeons-mines/

Has preproduction samples next to DF stuff

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

I thought this would be hitting it out of the park but I am surprised at how lukewarm interest has been.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

There's not really much to do except back at $75 and wait for the better stuff to open up might be the thing?

Can't even buy the sweet minecarts yet.

Yeah good point it is weirdly structured. A comment from reaper suggests the full mine cart will be two add ons as well!.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Merauder posted:

While it's great that Codex is "early", I wouldn't go around praising Sirlin & how he's somehow figured out the magic formula for completing/shipping a project early that no one else can solve. I have a very strong feeling he's just good at planning and doesn't accurately represent the expectations he actually has for things to be complete; IE, he knows he needs 6 months, and quotes 9 for delivery. Either poo poo goes wrong and he's given himself a buffer to still be early/on time, or things go smoothly and he comes out unrealistically ahead of schedule like this. Either way he wins.

He explicitly says that he does this in the Codex update, and that the reason that Codex is shipping 3 months early is he hasn't used any of his 3 months of slack.

quote:

It seems like a really obvious thing, but it's just not something many campaign heads seem to do. Maybe it's a fear of over-quoting the delivery time and scaring people away with too long of a wait? Obviously there's a line somewhere in which that concern is valid; if someone says "Back today, and we'll deliver in 24 months!", your backer count is likely to suffer as a direct result, but tacking on an extra 2-3 months based on your production+shipping+fulfillment schedule seems like a no-brainer. The mental perception of "This new Project X is going to take approximately 3 months longer than comparable Project Y took" vs "Project X is delivering approximately 3 months later than originally quoted" is the difference between the reactions of "That's fine, whatever it takes to make the product good" and "WHAT THE gently caress WHERE IS MY GAME, I CAN'T BELIEVE WE WERE LIED TO, I'D LIKE A REFUND IMMEDIATELY AND AM NEVER GOING TO BACK ANOTHER ONE OF YOUR PROJECTS FOR HOW UNPROFESSIONAL THIS IS".

I suspect realistic contingency planning is a good idea yeah, and it's an even better idea to be upfront about it. "I'm quoting a delivery date of X, I have slack built into that schedule, if everything goes to plan I will ship earlier, but Chinese contractors and drop shippers are reliably unreliably so I am building some fat into it."

Given kickstarters are being used repeatedly by the same people/companies I suspect the more conservative way is the best way. If he scared a few backers away in his first kickstarter, he'll get them back with interest in later ones because he can point to a track record of on time or better shipping in the future.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Swagger Dagger posted:

It's kind of baffling that they didn't think people would want PDFs of the updated/revised material that's making up the box set.

I think after the Ogre kickstarter they've made it a core goal to never ever lose money on shipping again.

Why don't they just charge actuals for shipping in the pledge manager? I never understand people who don't do this.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Swagger Dagger posted:

I'm not an expert on shipping costs or anything but given that this is supposed to ship in may of next year, there's a large risk of shipping costs increasing between now and then, especially internationally.

Yeah, true. I guess most of the wash-ups I've seen have been people significantly underestimating the cost of international shipping and not saying 'royal mail jacked up all international shipping costs between the kickstarter closing.'

As an armchair critic though, who knows.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Anyone with experience of using 3D tiles (like dwarven forge) able to give advice on how much 'table coverage' you need to be usable?

I'm trying to finalise the pledge manager for the secret weapon kickstarter. Inputs:

Core sets have 1.8 square feet of pieces (~1.5 for a DF set from KS 1 with all stretch goals, though DF has more 'set dressing')
I run mostly 4E with some OSR and other games

Kinda wondering how many core sets to get? Feels like 3 to 5 is the right answer. Crudely calculating (assuming 25% of the map is empty space) 4 sets would cover a 3 x 3 play area with some pieces left over, which almost feels like overkill.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Yeah Drive thru doing the forfillment is a plus for me and the rest of my gaming group.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

What do people think of the actual game behind the Mythic Battles: Pantheon kickstarter? I'm kinda thinking about backing on the strength of the people saying that Conan is good, but I could just wait for the next bones kickstarter.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Crackbone posted:

There's multiple videos of it being played you can watch and decide for yourself. It looks like it has some interesting mechanics with the way damage works and the deckbuilder-inspired activation stuff.

Yeah, the deckbuilder inspired activation is good. I like the dice mechanic for reducing the swinginess. The concerning mechanic to me is the potential slippery slope of damage reducing your other statistics. Because getting wounded degrades your offense and defence, and it's a small scale skirmish game, does that unduly emphasize alpha strikes and limit comebacks?

The worrying element to me is that the demo game on the kickstarter is resolved by disregarding the objectives and trying to punch the other guys to death as hard as possible which would suggest the slippery slope thing may be an issue and detracts significantly from the tactical part of the game. The beasts of war let's play is a bit more interesting (win by objectives) but it's a strange and tactically unsound game so difficult to tell.

But overall hard to tell and I've never played the game it's based on so curious on other people's opinion.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 16, 2016

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Last 20 hours for Mythic Battles Pantheon, brought to you by Mythic Games and Monolith Board Games.

The base $100 game is a pretty good value in terms of miniatures alone at this point. Obviously most or all of the women in the game are scantily clad (but so are the men (but uhhh, no, it's not the same)) because of course they are, but there's some really drat good sculpts and almost all of the minis are photos of actual production models, not just concept art, so you can see exactly what you're getting.

The game is well playtested, too, which is one of Monolith's strengths.

I hate the fact that they have battle heels. Argh.

I've backed though but not for any addons which I guess makes me complicit.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Consumer grade 3D printers are not as close good as injection moulded plastic.

Plus if you're buying a competitively priced product (Perry historicals for example) you'll never recoup the fixed overheads - and that is at a lower level of quality.

The only time when 3D printing might be cost effective is if you're making knockoffs of a premium pricepoint product and even then there will be a quality loss . If you are unconcerned about copyright the Chinese will generally sell you something with a small quality loss for cheaper

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Doodmons posted:

Huh, genuinely didn't know that, all you ever hear about 3D printers is how amazing the end results are. That's entirely fair, in that case. So I'm not a big miniatures gamer but I was just having a conversation with one of my friends today who's just got into Dropfleet Commander. £120 got him more plastic spaceships than he could ever use in one sitting, he gets to paint them and by all accounts the sculpt quality is exceptional and on top of all that apparently the game itself is one of the best he's ever played and one he can see himself playing for years. £120 is quite a lot of money but that sounds like he's getting a really good deal out of it. Is £1000 worth spending on that same deal? Maybe. Like, if you know you're definitely going to be playing this for years and not going to get bored of it then it's probably worth it. Otherwise hell no.

One of the thing to remember with miniatures is you can often take your collection and play a different game. The more 'niche' the miniatures the more expensive and less reusable they tend to be. Dropfleet commander doesn't have a ton of other games around, but Warhammer fantasy has defections to KoW when age of sigmar turned up as they are very similar games. Historical are cheaper again due to competition and have the advantage of TONS of games being around. If you decide bolt action is terrible you can rebase some of your guys and go play CoC or whatever. For 120 GBP you're getting a company of historical minis plus tanks and artillery so that's a pretty flexible force that can play a bunch of games.

quote:

I don't have opinions on whether Kingdom Death is a pile of poo poo or not - I'm not a miniatures gamer - but spending that much money on something sight unseen on a Kickstarter? gently caress me.

Maybe I'm just a loving miser but that seems flat-out bugnuts insane. I get salty when I buy video games if I'm going to get less than £1 an hour's worth of entertainment out of them.

I feel like KD in particular is terrible (aside from the titty miniatures which are also terrible) because it's a bad game. Long, repetitive and with tons of randomness? gently caress no. And if you're just buying it for the miniatures I hope you play a lot of RPGs - there are some cool minis in the box (see above), but what are you going to DO with them?

And I don't like buying 'premium' minis for D&D becaue you dont get to use them very often

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 11, 2017

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

LordAba posted:

Well it looks like there might be some competition:
https://www.level99games.com/seventh-cross

The details are light right now but seriously.... Level99 making a dark dungeon crawl. LEVEL loving 99. Imagine KD:Monster made by someone with a talent for game design.
It probably won't have minis, which means it won't be 200+ dollars.

Man, I'm fine with 200 dollars for a great game with cool minis I can use with D&D (though my growing pile of painted reaper bones is filling that out), but cheaper is good too as well.

That looks pretty cool. I'm all in on the gloomhaven hype train ATM, but if this is GMless I'm in. I like the different setting and legacy elements.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Cassa posted:

What legacy stuff? I'm not seeing much on the Seventh Cross page about that.

It's how I read this:

quote:

Unravel the vast conspiracy at the heart of Seventh Cross's main story, as you fight your way through a multi-episode plot where each decision may have far-reaching consequences and change the game's ending.

I may be projecting though - I guess you could do this other ways, but that implies your decisions in each scene changes future scenarios

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

I love their worker placement game so I could definitely see being into this. I also just preordered Gloomhaven... Why can't I be excited about any games that I can play right now?

Bust out the gloomhaven print and play.. guess that's only one adventure. We've played it a couple of times to try and work out what characters we want to play when the real thing lands in my mailbox.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

malkav11 posted:

That's not legacy, that's just a branching campaign. They're cool, but they're more common and have been around for longer. Legacy games involve hidden unlocks and, at least classically, permanent modifications to game components (including destruction) so that your game literally doesn't play the same at the end of a campaign as when you started. If Seventh Cross is doing that I didn't see any sign of it. (Also it doesn't feel like how Level 99 has historically operated but there's a first time for everything.

Yeah true, I feel like 'legacy' is a poorly defined concept generally. I mean consider a branching campaign that 'unlocks' different things based on the decisions you make. Is that legacy or not? Anyway it seems really exciting, Gloomhaven has shown me that you can do totally awesome card driven combat in an dungeon crawler so I'm keen to see what these guys do.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

The thing about Legacy games is that they make changes which permanently affect the game forevermore, period. Tearing up one-use components, applying stickers to things, writing on the board itself, etc. Imperial Assault, for example, has a branching campaign with variable outcomes and unlocks, but it's not a Legacy-style game because at the end of the day you can clean slate reset everything back to 0 and start over fresh, but you can't do that with Risk Legacy because you've already set the capital of the world on the board, everyone's chosen their special abilities and thrown the others in the trash, and Australia has been renamed the Republic of gently caress You Steve.

I guess the easiest way to define Legacy mechanics would be "destructive changes."

Yeah your defintion is fair enough - and to be honest, that would be something I'd really love in a dungeon crawler. I'm just winding up pandemic legacy and other than the quarterbacking, I god drat love it. Gloomhaven dips its toe into the pool of legacy elements (unlockables, some cosmetic permanent board changes, the only thing that seems very 'legacy' is you can spend huge sums of gold to permanently change some powers), but I feel like there is a lot of potential there gloomhaven isn't using, and I'm not concerned about replayability on these big dungeon crawlers - if they are GMless.

I'm probably not going to get to 60% of gloomhaven's 90+ scenarios so very happy for it to be one and done (it's taken us a year to play pandemic legacy, but say we play two scenarios a fortnight that means exhausting the content would take two years once you factor in holidays etc), but if the game requires an overlord or whatever the ability to replay it matters a lot more.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Agrias120 posted:

Gloomhaven arrived on my doorstop today and it's huge and amazing. A smaller subset of my group just started playing Risk Legacy, so I think Gloomhaven will sneak in right after we're done with that.

It's hard to understate how enraged I am that the Australian copies are STILL sitting with the distributor a week later. I know it doesn't actually matter but at the same time I am all aboard the hype train.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Radio Free Walrus posted:

Mainly the map w/ stickers was my big concern. With the character sheets something like lamination + marker would probably be sufficient, but I've had terrible experiences with adhesives recently - I became half adheisve when we were trying to do some ceiling painting.

I can post some up in the morning. I have to figure out which miniatures are actually 'spoiler', since you unlock some during play. I know the the necrothulu looking picture is unlocked later, but that's the only one I know for sure.

If the character is unlocked during play, the big box for that character is sealed with a red sticker.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Beffer posted:

I got a delivery note from Aetherworks yesterday and I hope to get it tomorrow. "Working from home" from 3!

I weep, I am so keen for this game. Group is organized and ready to go.

Would be good if people report back on storage and play times

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

ianvincible posted:

This is maybe only tangentially related to kickstarters, but I finally got my copy of Gloomhaven last week and I'm a little overwhelmed in terms of figuring out how to store everything. It's my first game of this order of magnitude; what do people tend to use to store all the little pieces? Right now I've got a lot of things in ziplock bags, but I'm not sure that's quite ideal. I'd also like to sleeve up the most commonly used decks, which I've never done for a boardgame before. Are there particular brands of sleeves for the mini-cards that people would recommend?

Plano boxes or fishing tackle boxes are the go too for storing the tokens.

For sleeves there are a zillion companies that make mini euro sleeves. I am using the FFG ones as they were cheapest in Australia. The one note of caution would be that Mayday has two grades of sleeves for mini euro. The cheap ones are... cheap in every way.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Vehementi posted:

He said in interview that Gloomhaven as addon will be $100 on KS and MSRP will go from $120 to $140. Still a hilarious steal. Founders will be $50

That pricing is leaving money on the table.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

JackMann posted:

Is Gloomhaven worth getting for just the minis? Not really a boardgaming dude.

No. 17 minis for $100 isn't great value.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Peas and Rice posted:

Is Gloomhaven that good? I'm almost convinced to back it just from the buzz here.

Yeah the core gameplay mechanic is really solid and forces a tough decision every turn.

Wrapped around it is a pretty decent campaign with a ton of content.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

You do have some choice in goals so you can just take slow goals if you want to.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Vehementi posted:

Gloomhaven has been awesome at all player counts, though I wouldn't play it solo, you're definitely losing out there. 5 is indeed officially supported, in that Isaac gave an official recommendation for a variant (+2 difficulty, I think?)

Yeah up monster level by two if you have to play with 5. He also said he doesn't recommend it.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

I think someone mentioned earlier in the thread that Ninja Division dropped/tanked the project and left Siembieda holding the bag, trusting that Siembieda's reputation would make it look like his fault? Which is pretty lovely, if true (and it seems plausible enough).

It kinda doesn't matter - anyone stupid enough to do business with Siembieda at this point is stupid enough to make a billion other bad decisions and thus getting involved with them is high risk.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

BinaryDoubts posted:

I couldn't find a Gloomhaven thread - was wondering what the goonsensus on it is. Everything I've read seems glowing, but I'm a little leery of something with that many fiddly bits. How's it actually play, and how would it work with different groups every session?

It's the best dungeon crawler ever. It has real, tough, tactical decisions every turn. The campaign layer is a bit of a thin veneer over it, but is solid. It is a pain in the arse to set up/tear down, my storage solution keeps growing. You need like, two tackle boxes, a small tackle box, a CD wallet and an accordian file to speed up setup/tear down which makes it difficult to transport.

I don't think it would work super well with a different group every session because there is a lot to each of the characters. you need to learn to play your dude. It would also damage the campaign layer a bit.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

bandaid.friend posted:

I'm looking at this game
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chaoticpattern/hand-of-fate-ordeals
A cooperative deckbuilder with neat art, and done by an Australian. The only kickstarter-exclusive thing so far is cosmetic, which is nice

I'm on the fence about this. It looks.. market row deckbuilder-y? However.. a coop deckbuild that is good looks cool?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

Same, I'm bracing for a burn but A) from what I remember Kingmaker was a solid adventure series

Were you GMing? I personally found it a cool concept but hard core garbage to actually run in practice, and with a whiplash and barely foreshadowed final boss.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

I was a player so I can't speak to the GM perspective. It was with my regular group and I don't remember if our dude running it took a hot knife to it to make it work a bit better like he had for past adventure paths so this could 100% be the mists of nostalgia making me think it was better than it was

My tip: Unless you were making spreadsheets for the kingdom management stuff a hot knife was involved. The fundamental problem with the entire AP is the pacing doesn't work with the game system, and the kingdom building minigame was extremely terrible, so they patched it, and now it's merely 'very bad.' As a result I'm pretty dubious about anyone porting it unless they are going to change the underlying system and everything else.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

Maybe replacing the system entirely with An Echo, Resounding or even Kingdom would work out better? An Echo would be easy enough to port since it's OSR

The entire AP would work better transported to over to An echo resounding for the kingdom management stuff to a degree that is physically painful.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Really thinking hard about backing that - AU postage has a bit of sting but it looks fun

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

I got the copy of massive darkness I rather foolishly backed. It sure comes with a lot of stuff in a giant box and the quality looks pretty reasonable on the sculpts, but not sure about the gameplay

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

I don't understand why more people don't go for the A side B side character cards where the A side is a woman and the B side a dude. Seems relatively cheap to do (get some alt art).

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

For me it's the fact that Gloomhaven was very much a clear step up in terms of quality from other dungeon crawler board games on offer, demonstrably so even prior to the Kickstarter finalizing. With Founders I'm not getting that same vibe. It looks competent, serviceable, but when I look at it I don't immediately think "ah, finally."

One of my friends is buying it (yay) so not on the horns of this dilemma, but I do tend to think that Forge Wars is a 'good, heavy euro' but it isn't genre defining like gloomhaven.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I felt that the Dark Souls board game was a massively point-missing design that utterly wasted its license. I'll be shocked if this isn't another cookie-cutter coop game that does the same.

It's really funny how they completely missed one of the legs of the darksouls stool. Exploration yo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I wish BGG would not allow reviews of unreleased games.... Seems that would be an easy fix.

Personally it should be like a month after ratings come out.

Or better yet ask people how many times they've played the game when they rate it and use that as a soft weighting factor in the back end.