Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

That Italian Guy posted:

In surprising news, 6: Siege has received more than 150% of what they were asking for in voluntary contributions.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1162110258/6-siege-the-board-game/posts/3806053

And backers are going to receive less than 50% of what they pledged for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

That Italian Guy posted:

Mmm Dead Cells is made by Scorpion Masque, so it may be interesting.

More importantly it's designed by Antoine Bauza (7 Wonders, Tokaido).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

interrodactyl posted:

Monster Hunter World Iceborne launched: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/monster-hunter-world-iceborne-board-game

In completely unrelated news, Steamforged laid off 1/3rd of their staff: https://www.dicebreaker.com/categories/board-game/news/steamforged-games-redundancies-hit-20-board-game-workers

I have to imagine that Elden Ring massively underperforming their expectations hit them hard. They also still have 6 kickstarters that are unfulfilled:

- Elden Ring: The Board Game
- Rivet Wars: Reloaded
- Euthia Resurrected
- Epic Encounters: Local Legends
- RuneScape Kingdoms: Shadow of Elvarg
- Resident Evil™: The Board Game

I thought Resident Evil had delivered? Someone brought it to my game group this week.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Azubah posted:

Apparently someone decided to just pay for all the shipping for cthulu wars. What other games have they not shipped and are hoping someone will bail them out?

There's some speculation that Petersen Games has been bought out by Catalyst Game Labs. Catalyst recently announced that they were creating a boardgame division, and they will be selling Cthulhu Wars at Gencon.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Yep. Sandy announced it with the latest KS updates and on the Discord: going forward Petersen Games is solely a design studio and will have no hand in manufacturing. As he put it: he has had a 44 year career in game design with any number of massive successes from Call of Cthulhu to Age of Empires, but he lacks a similar legacy of successfully run businesses.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

But Catalyst? They don't know how to successfully run a business any more than Petersen does.

If he made good business decisions we wouldn't be here in the first place.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Azubah posted:

Fairly sure those books are why Final Fantasy is called Final Fantasy too.

Final Fantasy got its name because it was going to be the last game Square made before folding. Then it became a monster hit and the company was saved.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

xK1 posted:

Sakaguchi has actually denied that, he said they just wanted something that abbreviated to FF and were originally going to name it Fighting Fantasy. They only changed it when they found out about the books. The "it was going to be the final game" theory was made up after the fact, all they wanted was a word that started with F.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201505/24079276.html

Well, don't blame me, I've been deceived by industry journalists.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CODChimera posted:

that is a good point. i'm trying to think of any answer to your question and all the well received ones seem to have or be having reprints

the only ones I can think of is maybe some of the early CMON games? HATE maybe? idk if its great though

HATE is widely regarded as the worst CMON minis game, as I recall.

I'm looking at my Kickstarters and trying to find one that never went to retail, but I'm failing. Either they had a retail pledge level or the project profit was used to cover production of additional stock for retail sale. Even tiny publishers like Capital Gains Studio, who only have a few hundred backers for games costing less than £25, still have a webstore.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The Eyes Have It posted:

An American firearms-focused auction site has a fantastic solution to sniping

Well, it would.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

fr0id posted:

I agree this is a “close thread forever” moment.

I mean, it's over seven years old. It might even be time for another one.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Impermanent posted:

i feel like there's so many of these kind of rpg-in-a-box-with-tactical-combat games out there that I no longer have any idea what is good. i'm still playing frosthaven. is there any place that does a good rundown of these kinds of games?

Hoplomachus Victorum isn't strictly an RPG, although it does have a basic plot. The focus is almost entirely on resource management and acquisition as you path around the world map trying to get strong enough to win the boss battle. It's also fairly epic - no *haven, but each of the four Acts in a campaign will take 90-120 minutes - and it's purely a solo game.

If you just want the tactical combats, though, you can get Hoplomachus Remastered instead. It's exactly the same mechanics, just tweaked for single hour-long competitive or cooperative scenarios and up to four players.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Final Girl Series 3 has launched and is funded already. Feature Film themes this time are Terminator 2, Hellraiser, Stranger Things (inevitably), Saw and Tremors. Some big shake-ups to the mechanics: some FFs have uniquely different maps, the Terminator-based FF lets you recruit the Killer as an ally against an even worse Killer if you want, and there's an optional Tears system that makes the game a bit easier by letting you cash in negative results for bonuses.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 19, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CODChimera posted:

gently caress, I don't have any of this game and i'm not even sure I want a fully solo game but I love the whole style and a bunch of the films they're copying

Happily it's a modular game so you can dip the toe without going balls deep on it. Core Box and one feature will set you back $40, and you can buy them at retail now if you want to try before committing to a pledge.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Infinitum posted:

I'd honestly be curious if there are any Goons who have gone all-in on one of these multi-box campaigns cause they thought there was a good game hiding under the 20 shelves of Kallax space you have to give up for them.

Do you include Cthulhu Wars in that? Because there's a very good game there behind all the bling.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Father Wendigo posted:

Does anyone know what the status of the Planet Apocalypse reprint Kickstarter is? I'm asking as someone non-backer who's morbidly curious.

Kinda hosed but not completely hosed. Petersen burned their operating capital on staff wages during the pandemic thinking it would only be a few months, and the only outstanding project that is likely to complete is the last Cthulhu Wars campaign. There is apparently a deal with Catalyst to buy up all the IPs and make good, but neither side will talk about it as negotiations are still ongoing and there's no chance that every project will be completed. However, Catalyst's chief interest is in Cthulhu Wars and Planet Apocalypse as those are established IPs and they're ready to go straight into production, so there's a higher chance that PA2 will be fulfilled than any other.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Vidmaster posted:

Those MFs had better deliver on hyperspace after I went all in on it!

Hyperspace is furthest along and is most likely to fulfil after CW and PA2 if anything does, but good luck.

Meanwhile, Final Girl Series 3 has a bit over 16 hours to go and Van Ryder just announced that if they hit $2m the North Pole Nightmare movie (Final Girl: Mrs Claus, killer: Krampus) will be given to all eligible backers for shipping costs only and hopefully delivered by Christmas. It doesn't seem likely even with a "last 48 surge" as they're only around $1.65m, but it's already been discounted down to $5 +shipping.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I want to back explicitly queer games, but Oof at that cost. :ohdear:

It's a lot cheaper if you can live without fondling the women. :eng101:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

Midhalla tried to play the artificially low goal game and came up short.

20k goal. 100k raised. Canceled because that doesn't begin to cover manufacturing - which makes you wonder where the 20k goal came from.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eikejmeyer/midhalla/posts/3900084

Coming back to this one: Fyrnwest had a stand at Spiel this year where they showed off everything that backers were going to get. Namely, a big flashy advertisement, an empty table and nobody around to answer any questions.

Cynicism aside, although there was no way Merz Verlag were going to refund a stand booking that close to the fair, someone at least had to attend to put the banner advert up on the stand. So I strongly suspect they're going to try again at some point.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

That Italian Guy posted:

There should be definitely be a stretch goal "if we get enough money I will hire an artist for the project", but of course we are talking small projects (like sub $5k or the like) where there could feasibly not be enough money to cover that expense unless there is - which is a way crowdfunding allows you to provide additional benefits based on the level of funding. That was the basic idea behind stretch goals originally :v:

There's a difference between setting a stretch goal for an addition to your project and setting one for something which is fundamental to it. The art and graphic design of a game is fundamental and should be part of the initial goal. You would not pledge to a project if they said "we're funded at $10k, and if we get to $20k we'll include the board". You should not pledge to a project that says "at $20k we'll hire a real artist instead of stealing someone else's livelihood with AI".

Anyway, in projects that don't involve AI in any meaningful way: Giochix are doing Wave 6 of their sleeves to deliver in January. I will personally attest to the exceptional quality and durability of the 120-micron Perfects and will be picking up some more in sizes I either don't have or ran out of. At €14 for half a kilo they're worth a punt.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zark the Damned posted:

Looks like the only info so far is this leak from their private Discord.

It's a very strange situation. Catalyst absolutely were selling CW product for a while and now nobody knows why or what they were getting out of it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zark the Damned posted:

Possibly they were selling the CW stuff on a trial basis and it did nowhere near as well as they were promised? Haven't really followed the partnership.

Put a gun to my head, I'd say that Catalyst were the mystery angel investor who paid for the CW shipping and they did it in exchange for the right to resell all the existing stock and keep the proceeds. PG would have been trying to negotiate a longer term arrangement where Catalyst would take over the manufacture and carry on as the sale outlet going forward, but Catalyst declined because they were only doing it to make a quick buck towards their own shortfalls. Apparently Planet Apocalypse was also on the table as the other complete product, but I'm guessing the margins weren't there - also Catalyst would have to guarantee fulfillment on the Invasion faction minis for Cthulhu Wars backers, as those were baked into the PA2 project.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I must be out of the loop and missed who Rutibex is or where they were posting.

You missed nothing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Better let Morten Pedersen know they're using the term Automa for their AI opponent. I believe he holds the trademark.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

malkav11 posted:

CMON and Mythic have always felt like companies doing very similar things to me, so it makes sense to me as a new home for some of Mythic's outstanding projects...but I also wonder how long before CMON flames out in similar fashion...

I'm shocked that they haven't already. Even before the pandemic they were known to be robbing Peter to pay Paul on some of their projects. I'm guessing that the big Marvel license they got saved them?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

The excellently titled Horror on the Orient Express from Chaosium is rocketing along. Props to them for literally only having one tier, even if it is very expensive.

Got as far as "from the designers of Nemesis" and stopped. That was an extremely mediocre game with a traitor mechanic that somehow manages to be worse than Shadows Over Camelot.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Leraika posted:

the greatest sin horror on the orient express commits is that the suspects look a lot more fun and interesting than the playable characters

If you back the KS you get a free expansion that makes the suspects playable.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Petersen Games just informed their backers that a mystery package is coming which will have information on their new partners. So, there apparently are new partners and we'll know more in 8 weeks.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

pinky promise, for real real this time

Link came back on to the Discord to confirm that it's legit, and that he's been hired by the new company - not by PG. It may turn out to be a nothingburger, but this is not Sandy or Art making promises they can't keep.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Vidmaster posted:

Any thoughts on who the mysterious benefactor could be? The “his identity” part makes me wonder if it’s a person or a company.

Sandy refers to the benefactor as an individual man, but Link refers to it as a company that is now employing him. That suggests a company directed by a single head.

I can see it being Awaken Realms also, though. Sandy mentioned "new realms to conquer" and that's exactly the type of veiled reference he likes to slip in.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Magnetic North posted:

I concur. Cthulhu Wars is the type of game AR would enjoy getting their grubby little piss-stained AI-mangled hands on.

Well, we wrung a little more info out of Link.

1) It is not Awaken Realms, it's a new company.

2) It is not a rich celebrity gamer like Henry Cavill or Vin Diesel.

3) The benefactor has appeared on MythBusters, but may not be credited.

3a) It's probably not Barack Obama.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

malkav11 posted:

Me, I'll probably pass, never been that impressed with CMON. But playthroughs have an outside chance of getting my attention.

The easy trick for telling if a CMON game is bad is to look at how many minis are needed to play the game. The less there are, the better the game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zark the Damned posted:

Welp, Petersen Games just nuked their community Discord, deleted all the Kickstarter info on it, and turned it over to some guy who's using it for playtesting future projects. Real lovely way to handle it.

Well, as pointed out it's not "some guy", it's Link Petersen. And prior to the nuking Link showed us a video of CW and Startropolis in the warehouse and he was answering questions. He's now saying that he's been instructed by his new employer to shut the gently caress up about everything except playtesting his games. This is consistent with the collapsed Catalyst deal, where PG would have become solely a design studio and had no involvement with production and fulfilment.

While it could have been handled better, I strongly suspect the KS and Official Q&A channels got removed abruptly because Link will be both fired and sued if he didn't act immediately. Arthur already pissed away PG's own good will - the new company won't want the process repeating with them.

E: and in case it wasn't obvious, telling people why it was done would fall under the category of "things he's not allowed to talk about".

Jedit fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 3, 2024

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ominous Jazz posted:

who is arthur

Arthur Petersen, the brother who was the public face of PG (and its only employee apart from Sandy after the layoffs).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ominous Jazz posted:

What'd he do to piss away good will?

Too much to go into detail, but he broke a lot of promises and they weren't all ones that weren't in his power to keep. Nobody was willing to trust him by the time he finally went completely silent, which I suspect coincided with the takeover and him being shitcanned.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

So Catalyst were going to take over then that changed? Who backed out of the deal? Or was it mutual?

I don't know and nobody will say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Father Wendigo posted:

Still no reveal of the mysterious benefactor?

No, but there's a newcomer who just got admin on the Discord who is not the benefactor. (As in, their handle is literally Not The Benefactor.)