Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

That Old Tree posted:

Received my Do: Fate of the Flying Temple last night. It came in a UPS package inside a USPS box. :911:

I'm assuming it was shipped by Alliance? This is how they sent me some Fate bookmarks when I ordered them from Evil Hat's website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

Are they doing dungeon terrain in Bonesium?

8one6
May 20, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy funded and I have to say it looks pretty cool, a self-contained box that has everything shaved down to essentials with lots of stuff already done for you while being tweakable. I've never played GURPS but I've heard the true problem, where it got the rep for being overly convoluted, is in choosing what to bring in. The system just dumps a bunch of poo poo in your lap and says "Have fun!" Once you sort that out, and leave out some of the more ill-advised subsystems (like Vehicles) it's pretty fast, right?

GURPS is a great game once it gets going, but yeah, compared to D&D there's a poo poo ton of heavy lifting involved in the setup, especially if you want to try to embrace the "you can run/play ANYTHING!!1!!1!" potential (don't do this starting out).
Also, char gen can get really fiddly, but once the game is rolling it's pretty intuitive if you understand the bell curve on 3d6.*

The Dungeon Fantasy boxed set looks like it'll be a decent entry product for those who want to murderhobo and try out GURPS.

*Fun story, my first GURPS game I eyeballed a lot of the numbers before I really understood how things worked in GURPS (starting RPGs with d20 broke my brain) so the players in my Ghostbusters: LA game couldn't land a shot on the ghost of a troll wrecking an RV show.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Scion is a great concept for a game but my group and I hated the actual system. We decided any* supers system would be better than running it in Storyteller.

If I suggested it to the group today we'd probably look at something like Fate or Part Time Gods.

*We quickly amended that when the guy in our group who loves HERO suggested that. This was also before we were exposed to more indie/narrative style games.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I know this is a bit more niche than most of the stuff in the thread but Fat Dragon Games, who have been selling PDFs to print card stock tabletop terrain is running a kickstarter for 3d village terrain. It's their second KS for something like this, the first was for dungeons and caverns sets and are on drivethru.

I got to see the pieces printed out at Gen Con and they look great.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That's a good one but it can't handle all of the templates from the KS. You need the $600 version to be able to print everything.

With an 8x8x7 build area it should handle everything in the Fat Dragon ks. The Maker select he linked to is not the Printrbot play they talk about in the FAQ. That's this one.

Edit:

Helical Nightmares posted:

Never pay for Warhammer again?

That's part of how I justified buying a 3d printer myself.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Cat Face Joe posted:

plz someone tell me wtf a heartbreaker is

Fantasy heartbraker is usually shorthand for someone's homebrew not!D&D that they want to publish.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Have they actually gotten to that quality level?

The terrain he had at Gen Con looked pretty good and he had printed it at 200 micron (. 2 mm layer height) resolution. Here's an example of print quality at 200, 100, and 50 micron resolution.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

The great thing about all these licensed games is that they don't have to be that good because I'm sure a large percentage of the backers are just getting them for the minis.

I'll admit my first thought about a Terminator board game was "Ohh, Terminator minis. I wonder if they'll be tabletop scale?"

8one6
May 20, 2012

inklesspen posted:

That was me. I've actually done a fair amount of work on it before life intervened (switched jobs twice, moved cross oceans twice, started gender transition) and TBH what I have right now is the sketches of a setting and I have to figure out what sort of gameplay would be fun in that setting.

The elevator pitch, though: Zheng He's final treasure fleet went east instead of west and discovered what our timeline calls Vancouver Island. A few decades later, the emperor sends a younger son off to oversee Chinese activity in the region. Fast forward four hundred years and a Chinese nation whose emperor split from the late Ming dynasty rules the Pacific Northwest, in a not-untroubled coexistence with the native peoples. Noteworthy foreign powers include Mexico, Texas, Deseret Utah, and the distant United States (whose influence is felt mainly through people who leave it for whatever reason and settle in Chinese-controlled territory. There's racial turmoil (China has race prejudice that doesn't line up with American/Texan race prejudice), religious turmoil (native beliefs, Confucianism, Buddhism, Chinese Islam, Mormonism), and just to spice things up a little more, massive deposits of silver have been discovered in areas of Northern California claimed but only loosely controlled by the Chinese.

Now that I'm living in the Pacific Northwest, I'm going to try to find time to resume work on it.

I look forward to the Kickstarter.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Siivola posted:

I've heard the Doom boardgame is actually good fun, c/d?

It's the best iteration of Decent they've released so far. My friends and I enjoy it and it does a fair job of presenting the feel of the current DOOM game.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Covok posted:

With the plethora of FRPG out on the market at the moment, what would it take for you to trust a kickstarter of a new one? This isn't so much a discussion of a real KS, but a hypothetical one. Don't know if thread appropriate.

For me the RPG would at least have to be at the rough draft stage with the rules complete or nearly complete. Basically if the KS is for art/editing/public awareness/playtesting/etc.

This is going to make me sound like a dick, but most of the RPG kickstarters I've backed the authors have other full time jobs. I'm by no means suggesting that they quit those (because that path likely leads to financial ruin) but if you're working on your fantasy game in your spare time then you can wait until your finished with the game before you ask for money for it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

clockworkjoe posted:

Transhuman sci-fi horror RPG, Eclipse Phase is running a Kickstarter to launch a second edition: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/507486226/eclipse-phase-second-edition/description

I wrote some setting material for EP2 and have worked on the last 3 books. This edition aims to streamline the mechanics so it's easier to learn and run.

I wish Posthuman Studios the best of luck with this one. Eclipse Phase is my favorite game I've never gotten to play.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

In the realm of kickstarters that aren't by terrible people, Fragged Empire: Expanded has just over 48 hours left and has hit most of its stretch goals. US$22 gets you the core PDF and two of the expansions, $34 gets you the core and all three:
  • Soulsbourne, complete with respawning after TKPs, in an infinite gothic city
  • A fanstasy world with settlement management, that takes place centuries after Fragged Empire
  • Pirates v. Cthuuhlu

And backed. I was looking for an excuse to pick up all the core Fragged Empire PDFs anyway, now I get fantasy and pirates to go with it!

8one6
May 20, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Someone over on RPGNet actually raised a good point about this beyond the inherent silliness: what happens if/when you find this so-called "missing number"? Does it lead to enlightenment? Will it open up new math-based magic? Who knows, because its just a pointless goal with no stakes or downside for failure.

I don't remember who said it, but IS really is "Monte read Neil Gaiman's Sandman for the first time: the RPG".

My favorite description of Invisible Sun is when someone called it Bad Gaiman: The RPG

Kwyndig posted:

It's always 5e these loving days.

Unless it's Fate Accelerated.

Or loving Powered by the Apocalypse.

8one6
May 20, 2012

If you backed the latest hardcover volume of Atomic Robo It's almost ready!
Soom they'll be printed, shipped, and then sit in customs for two months because it's a big crate marked "Atomic" on the side.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

There definitely is. Plenty of RPG KSes will share a draft of the rules with $1 backers, and plenty of people don't back unless the draft is available.

After the last couple of years I've found myself in that camp. I think it's only fair to expect at least a rough draft of a game if you've gotten to the "ask for money" stage. I'm not expecting people to quit their real jobs to work on elfgames, but if you're going to be working on a game in your spare time around your real obligations I think you should do it before you ask strangers to pitch in their :10bux:

8one6
May 20, 2012

Falstaff posted:

He raised in excess of 60 grand. That would have been a massive success for any trad RPG kickstarter, if not for the absolutely ridiculous goal he set for the project.

I'm honestly not sure if it was greed or if he just had stars in his eyes.

Knowing the way Kickstarter works, had he set $50k, it would have likely ended up somewhere past the $60k he raised from the 'it funded' momentum.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Zalabar posted:

Anyone have experiance with 3d printed terrain? This kickstarter looks good, and mentions some sanding for the pieces.

Wait, so he's not selling the printer files, he's selling the models and using the KS to but a poo poo ton of 3d printers?

That's weird.

Anyway, depending on what resolution he prints at and how much you care about the texture of the model some light sanding is the easiest way to smooth out the models. Assuming you don't want to fill a rice cooker with acetone.

EDIT: Youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sblh0bBHoQ

8one6 fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Nov 7, 2017

8one6
May 20, 2012

FMguru posted:

Coming soon to Kickstarter...

(via The Onion)

You know, I'd probably play the hell out of something like that.

8one6
May 20, 2012

This feels like someone really liked the Mothership Zeta DLC.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Oh, oh Gareth no.
Just... no man.

8one6
May 20, 2012

jivjov posted:

Haven't seen this posted in here...Queen Games is doing a Kickstarter for a new edition of Alhambra; The Designers' Edition

Long story short, there's something like 9 or 10 expansion modules exclusive to this campaign, they're doing an art redesign on the game, and there's a "Mega Box" edition that's going to include every single old expansion, all the new expansions, some tile towers, oh; and all the tiles are slightly larger than a normal edition of Alhambra.

This kills me because Alhambra is one of my favorite board games but gently caress supporting Kickstarter exclusive bullshit.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Tanhauser technically (since in that setting WW1 didn't end.) The setting book isn't out yet but it'll be one of FFG's Genesys lines. Right now it has a basic write up in the core rulebook and and some boardgames.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Titty-minis are loving embarrassing, but not as embarrassing as trying to justify playing with titty-minis at the table or trying to justify your titty-mini fetish (on or off a dead comedy forum.)

8one6
May 20, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

I've backed this to see what the dogfighting rules are like. It's annoying that Fate continues to be the best choice to run a Star Wars game. :argh:

Also, lol:

Even ignoring the Fate game part just seeing that pic tells me this is an Evil Hat game because I'm not sure this artist does work for anyone else.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Z-man also doesn't bother to keep their games in print.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

That 3D printed Mall kickstarter I talked about backing earlier is in its last few hours. Unfortunately the guy running it, while good at producing the actual product seems to not be so good at promoting it.

I hope this ends up on drivethru at some point because it looks neat but I'm tapped out at the moment.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I heard a couple of years ago that Malaysia was a better mfg/printing source because it's nearly as cheap as China and you don't have to deal with China's govt. Is that not actually the case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

Fantasy Grounds is running a kickstarter for a new version built in Unity.