Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

pillsburysoldier posted:

I just noticed that Oregon OC/QB Coach Scott Frost is now the head coach at Central Florida. I was gonna put up George O'Leary

I still have it in my head that Mark Helfrich of Oregon is a bad head coach and is messing up what Chip Kelly built, so that's something I'm looking forward to. If Baylor doesn't finalize a staff before the season and Helfrich underwhelms, that might be an interesting notion - the same goes for Auburn and Gus Malzahn.

Oregon's been too close to serious penalties in the last few years in Football and MBB, I don't really think they're excited about picking up a coach that created a toxic culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Ross Angeles posted:

gently caress Dana Altman

This is the most emotion I've seen anyone post about an Oregon coach since Chip Kelly left.

Sorry we stole a recruit from you.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

What happens to your contract as a coach if the team immediately gets death sentenced?

Hopefully a year's worth of salary while you and all the other coaches just happen to help students out in the weight room.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Maybe I've been talking to too many insane Oregon fans, but I think that you have to change Mark Helfrich's status to Undecided or possibly Warming Up. This does sound insane after the whole 2014 campaign, but here's what happened last season/this offseason:
• Demoted Defensive Coordinator and hired a splashly DC in Brady Hoke
• First single-digit win season since the beginning of Chip Kelly's tenure
• Gave up 31 point lead in last game played

I feel that if Oregon loses to Washington, Oregon State, or just has 4 regular season losses there will at least be a lot of talk about replacement, and that doesn't sound like "Solid".

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

djdanno13 posted:

Helfrich and strong?

For Helfrich, I honestly have no idea who would or could come in to fix things. Does Oregon continue its in-house and hire back Scott Frost from UCF, or do they hire some young-ish new coach we've never heard about.

Please please please though don't make Brady Hoke interim coach.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Does Uncle Phil make it rain nike money to bring back Kelly?

Chip Kelly I've kind of always felt like he prefers the NFL: Doesn't have to do recruiting, no elbow-rubbing boosters, and one game can actually be the actual, real super bowl instead of calling every game the super bowl.

So I don't think daddy's coming back.

Could Bryan Harsin be Nike Money'd from BSU to UO?

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

If LSU doesn't want Orgeron then UO would love him. Orgeron for Oregon.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

God the interim coach situation for Oregon is dire if Helfrich is canned mid-season. Interim Coach Brady Hoke is a nightmare, the LB coach who was demoted from DC last year (Pellum) would be just as bad. On offense, OC Matt Lubick is relatively unknown since OC was Scott Frost's position until he took the UCF job. It would be cool to recognize RB coach Gary Campbell's contribution to the program over the many years.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

So, I have some thoughts about the hiring of Ed Orgeron as actual LSU head coach.

First, I forbid everyone from talking about teams from Oregon for as long as Ed's in charge, because it's a pain in the rear end to scan through threads when that happens.

Second, I don't think he was the best possible hire available this year. I also, however, don't think there was another hire that would have kept most of the coaching staff intact, or would have raised LSU into contention for National Championships. That's right, I don't think there was a coach available that could beat Saban. There, I said it. That makes Orgeron a reasonably priced holding pattern if he doesn't work out as LSU's long term solution. Every other significant coaching choice would have been too expensive for not enough results. Tom Herman is going to get a lot of money, and I don't think he'd have done well at LSU. Jimbo Fisher would have required pallets of cash, and it's no sure thing that he could solve the Saban rubric, and he probably would have dismissed the entire coaching staff in favor of his own people.

So.. we're stuck with Ed Orgeron now, and I think it's a logical hire, even if it is a marriage of convenience. I don't think he'll have a long career at LSU, but I would welcome the opportunity to be pleasantly surprised.

This all could have been solved if Ed Orgeron went to coach for Oregon. Oregongeron, Or Orgerongon. Or something.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Dana Holgerson is a strange candidate to consider but that sounds hilariously interesting.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

This is some karmic-rear end retribution for me laughing at all the terrible names being floated for other coaching searches, that now I have to sweat Schiano or Kiffin being the HC at Oregon.

Or.....the search fails so remarkably Hoke is elevated.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Ungratek posted:

Does anyone want bronco cause please take him

Can he be our DC?

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

So two ex-USF head coaches, one ex-FIU coach. So just need to hire George O'Leary and Schnellenberger to complete the Group of 5 Florida ex-coaches.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

With any luck Hoke will try to convert Tennessee to a different style of defense making them look terrible for the whole season.

Not that I have any experience with any of that.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Pakled posted:

Hell, they were number one for a couple weeks in 2014. One of only five schools to be ranked #1 at any point in the last 4 seasons.

So: Bama, Clemson, Miss State, Ole Miss, Florida State?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah Ole Miss was wrong (at least assuming we're talking the AP poll, I'm too lazy to look up others).

#1 teams until someone else took over for the last four years:

Week 1: Alabama
Week 15: Florida State
Final : Florida State

Week 1: Florida State
Week 8: Mississippi State
Week 13: Florida State
Week 15: Alabama
Final: Ohio State

Week 1: Ohio State
Week 10: Clemson
Final: Alabama

Week 1: Alabama
Final: Clemson

So Miss State is the only team in the past 4 years to be ranked #1 in the AP and NOT win a BCS Title Game? That's a good trivia question.

• Locked thread