Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Korranus posted:

<obligatory Tom HermanChad Morris to Baylor rumor>

Need another former Texas HS Head Coach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Korranus posted:

FIU apparently fired their head coach. That'll fix their program

Do they still have the same AD who fired Mario Cristobal? Because lol at anyone wanting to work for that guy.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
https://twitter.com/jfey5/status/780145781852426241

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
Who're the hot coaching names outside of Herman, Fleck, and Kiffin? Maybe LSU poaches one of the 50 former head coaches on the Alabama staff.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Real Name Grover posted:

Someone was floating him for the Fresno gig along with Tedford.

Heard that rumor from Podcast aint played nobody. He was only brought up due to him being an alum of the school and it having advantages over other MWC schools. I think he will probably hold out for something bigger like Kirby Smart.

MourningView posted:

Hawaii is not good but they're way better than I thought they'd be. The rando they hired seems like he might be ok

Hasnt this always been the case with Hawaii? June Jones did well at the school due to how good the Run and Shoot worked there and the juco players he was able to pull in. (Hawaii should re-hire June Jones)

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
Well he did try to get the job when it came open last year.

June Jones confirms he will apply for UH football head coaching job

Looks like he's coaching High School football in Hawaii now since he didnt get the College job.

Ex-Hawaii football coach June Jones accepts job as Kapolei offensive coordinator

VIDEO: All systems go with June Jones at Kapolei

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Benne posted:

Isn't FIU actually in a pretty good spot to be a solid mid-major program? They're in a recruiting hotbed and could feasibly attract some decent talent that the A-list Florida schools don't have room for. That's basically the same blueprint UCF and USF rode to hot stretches for a few years.

Don't know if Butch Davis of all people is the right hire, but the circumstances are ripe for them to be a 6-7-win bowl team every year. Feels like the only real question is if the brass cares enough to aspire to UCF/USF level.

Yeah this could be a good job if he's able to recruit without getting sanctions. Mario Cristobal was able to get 4 guys who were drafted into the NFL to go there, but I'm not sure if they where highly sought after players.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Oregon reaching out to Lincoln Riley :/

Air loving Raid. Are the Oregon boosters envious of what Mike Leach is doing at Washington State or something? Also, Oregon really needs to find someone who can recruit the speed that they used to be able to get at all of their offensive positions. That's one thing that's been missing from Oregon for the past few years now which scared other teams to death and made their spread attack hard to defend.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

TheGreyGhost posted:

Good hire in terms of keeping explosion on the offense, but no idea how this is going to fix that tire fire of a defense one bit. His defensive staff is going to be the real question, and hopefully they don't continue stupid crap like "let's run the 4-3 over in the Pac-12 in 2016".

It's probably a lot easier for them to find 4-3 talent than 3-4 talent. I dont think Oregon will be a great team when it comes to defense unless they have a hell of a recruiter there due to lack of in state talent, and having to compete with multiple teams for the d-line talent coming out of California.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

DJExile posted:

Josh Newberg of 24/7 is saying Strong is in Tampa today, but an offer hasn't been made yet. On top of that he's adding that Taggert has reached out to Strong, asking him to come to Oregon as DC.

EDIT

Both of these outcomes would be awesome. I'd love to see the players Strong would be able to recruit out there.

MourningView posted:

Taggart was running the Harbaugh/Stanford power running offense when he was at WKU so this isn't totally true, but yeah I'd think they'd want to stick with something closer to what Petrino and Brohm did since that took them to an even higher level. Just hire Brian Brohm, he was always the best Brohm anyway.

Also, Taggart also tried to run that same style of offense at USF and almost got himself fired within his first two years there. It's going to be interesting on what type of offense he will deploy out there. I know he had to tailor his offense around his QB due to him being more of an athlete then being a true QB.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

MourningView posted:

He said in his introductory press conference he wants to run a hurry up spread. I assume being willing to do so is part of what got him the job. Might be some growing pains though because Hubert isn't a great runner in the typical Oregon QB mold.

I dont think they've recruited a Moble/Athletic QB since Mariota. What the gently caress happened to their recruiting? As long as Taggart goes after the smaller fast guys from LA like Chip did in the past then I think Oregon will be ok.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Silly Burrito posted:

Les needs to go to ESPN anyway.

What's the grass quality like?

pillsburysoldier posted:

Thise players end up more often at Lousiville

Man, all these great recruiters in Florida is going to hurt schools like Iowa St. and a bunch of MAC schools who are able to get a few 3 Star recruits out of Florida. Also USF vs UCF and FAU vs FIA might be must watch games just for the coaching matchups.

Too bad Strong probably wont be at the school when they play Texas.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

MourningView posted:

Fiesta and that team was only like 8-5. The Big East was just trash. It's like wanting to hire Zook because he bumbled into a Rose Bowl.

e: that's a little unfair. Edsall was a totally fine head coach there and they could do worse, his BSC team just wasn't all that impressive or different from most of his other teams

Zook would probably do well at UConn if he can still recruit and some of his former assistants like Mike Locksley join him. That Illinois team that went to the Rose Bowl was super talented but poorly coached. If he can pull that poo poo off in the Big Ten then he can build a poorly coached winner in the AAC.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Thermos H Christ posted:

Then Meachem leaves his gig as the co-OC with playcalling duties at TCU, to take over the offense at... Kansas? That's just... what? Does he have some personal reason that he needs to live in Kansas or something?

Playcalling duty was being given to Sonny Cumbie for next season. It makes sense that he would leave to be a playcaller somewhere else.

Also, it looks like TCU may hire Arizona St Offensive Line Coach Chris Thomsen to the same position. You may remember him from being the interm coach at Texas Tech when Tommy Tuberville bolted.

Wiccan Wasteland fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
https://twitter.com/JClarkHFB/status/820736097814716417

:vince:

https://twitter.com/SunDevilSource/status/820326254465335296

• Locked thread