Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

AgentF posted:

A bit late but basically a number of years ago Labor made some rumblings about reforms and then the below happened and then Labor backed off.

And a reminder about what the specific change suggested was. Currently the press has a statutory exemption from the prohibition on deceptive and misleading conduct in the trade practices act. the government proposed to remove that. The press fought the government for the ability to deliberately lie to people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

So what's the point of a DD other than to kick out the party dumb enough to call one if it will almost always lead to even more :siren: SENATE CHAOS :siren:?

The written point in the constitution, or the political point in 2016?

If they actually cared about the legislation being blocked, then a DD and the joint sitting means numbers in the reps can overcome the deficit in the senate and get it though. you need to win in the reps to pull it off though.

In 2016. Malcolm is bad at politics.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

What, is this, like, loving backwards day or some poo poo?

Its the ALP. They are bitter about a progressive party pushing progressive policy to progressives. This is the greatest evil apparently.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Ket posted:

What the gently caress is an "investor visa"?

when people buy a visa for cold hard cash.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

norp posted:

It also sounds like they want the government to resume land at next to nothing to form the corridor.

How long is a flight from Syd/Melb anyway?

if you include check in time, and the travel from Melbourne to Tullamarine, probably about 3 hours. If there was a stop out in western Sydney for this thing, would it make Badgerys creek unneeded?

If they include all the big stops on the route; Canberra, Wagga etc. then it is possible, and they actually have a lot of cross party support from the rumours I have heard.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Tokamak posted:

Sure, but I was thinking from the perspective of someone buying property in these new regional towns. A two hour express service seems attractive, but those people won't be getting an express service. It will be faster than a car, but I don't think it will be a commutable distance for people living at the centre stations. You might only be making those property returns in areas that are one or two stops away from the city (where you will be seeing the shortest commute times). The details are pretty thin so we can't really say how exactly they will be making their money.

2 hours is the end to end goal. Golburn to Sydney., Shepprton / Albury to Melboune, Wagga to Canberra would all be under an hour for the commute. That is better than outer suburbs now. add some regular branch line services from what we can call the "new main line" and you have even more local towns serviced.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

open24hours posted:

I don't know if we should really be looking at it as a solution for commuters. Even if you can do it in an hour or less is it really ideal to have people traveling hundreds of kilometres to go to work every day? Surely it would be better, cheaper, to invest in the economies of Goulburn and Wagga?

There is a chicken and the egg problem there. not enough need / demand for development, so none happens, so their is not enough need. HSR is one way of breaking that cycle.

From the politics of it, it helps land developers, construction companies, unions etc. It has friends across the spectrum. The problem is sticker shock. With this plan they are claiming they have removed that. I don't believe them, but once it is started there will be too much inertia to stop it and the public purse will pick up the tab. If we get some economic modelling to show the growth and tax base increases are more than the financing cost, it will be hard to kill. And you can make economic modelling show whatever you want by fudging the assumptions.

I would prefer it just get made a national priority and publicly fund it Brisbane to Melbourne (then on to Adelaide). Make all suppliers be required to be Australian and you could give enough work to encourage the modernisation and upgrading of a lot of manufacturing capacity.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Frogmanv2 posted:

NBN would be a cheaper and better way.

NBN is a great enabler, but I don't see it providing enough impetus to move away from the centralisation into Melbourne and Sydney that we have seen for the last decades. East Coast HSR could be that impetus. Ideally we would have both. Also if we are developing greenfield and brownfield regional towns, then there is an opportunity to build for density with mixed use zoning and other ideas for more efficiency.

The country needs long term vision about what things will look like in 50 years, with a plan on how to get there. This crowd is about the only game I have seen doing that.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

starkebn posted:

this is a loving pipe dream. 5 super expensive, technologically futuristic trains per direction, per loving hour (20 future trains running with 100% uptime, so you'd need more like 50 or more) from Sydney to Melbourne in this country? That also doesn't count all the other inter station trains.

I can't remember where I saw it, but there was a commentary article recently about the loving train line how studies are being funded year after year and it's all bullshit make-work. High speed rail makes no sense when you're talking about building it in a place that would service a population of about 10 million.

The marginal cost per train is not a lot once the track is there, and having a train every 10 minutes makes it convenient so people use it. The trains are not some strange future technology, they are on tracks running on those sorts of schedules right now around the world.

If the population projections hold, we need to do something about the sprawl in the major capital cities. We need more capacity to deal with it, and with the timelines involved we need to start soon.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

But "The personal information you provide in the Census is not shared with any other government departments or agencies including the police, Australian Taxation Office or Centrelink.

The ABS is legally bound to protect the privacy of all Australians and will not release your information in a way that will identify any individual or household. "

Surely the second that they claim you've lied, any court is going to tell them to gently caress off because they've clearly been doing things they shouldn't with census data.

Not if they do the matching with data centerlink / ATO give them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

open24hours posted:

I don't know if it's fair to blame income inequality on free trade. It increased at the same time as tariffs were reduced, but seems more likely that cuts to welfare and other government services were responsible for it.

The reduction in trade barriers, the undermining of social services and the erosion of labour bargaining power all stem from the same core neo-liberal ideas. The increase in income inequality is a goal of the system, not a side effect.

• Locked thread