Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bunleigh posted:

Does Paul Ryan have any actual political skills at all? He comes off as basically a high school libertarian who never outgrew his childish ideas on how the world works. He managed to maneuver himself into the exact same lovely spot Boehner spent 5 miserable years in, without securing any kind of leverage for himself at all. Now he seems to have done the same with Trump. He held out for a random amount of time and then endorsed the guy with seemingly nothing to show for it. Hell of a player, that Paul Ryan.

I'm starting to get the idea that whenever Republicans herald an up and coming politician it's like saying a kid is the best player in region where it turns out the region sucks and he's been dunking on four foot losers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think its safe to say that the reason there isn't some big denouncement of violent protests tonight is because its clearly a handful of idiots throwing a couple of punches and committing small acts of vandalism. Bad, criminal behavior but safely within the confines of "in a big enough group some people will be assholes".

There weren't exactly riots. And the reason it doesn't have the same impact as a Trump supporter slugging someone is because those incidents are usually accompanied with audio of Trump saying something like "I'll pay the legal bills" or "in the good old days he wouldn't walk out" while these sort of incidents usually come with Trump's opponents condemning violence.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Hahahahahahahaha

Hasn't he been getting called out for that for almost a year now? I love that he just now figured to "explain" it. There's no way that won't make the press dogpile on him that much harder.

He gave the "I was imitating him groveling" bs excuse back when it first happened too. It just went away because the Republicans didn't give a poo poo and were too convinced that they could kill Trump by saying he wasn't conservative enough or liked imminent domain. Now its Hillary and the Dems so they're going to push it and constructed an ad that really works on people, so he's going to have to start answering that question again.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Samurai Sanders posted:

If you had automatic weapons in a crowded nightclub you'd have to be really unlucky to only manage to kill 20 people, I think.

Also I hate that America has taken away the feelings I should be experiencing about something like this.

Yeah, it sucks that I just realized this morning that I'm desensitized.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Radish posted:

gently caress Chuck Todd. The Kreider comic coulnd't be more accurate.

Also as much as people are getting desesitized to these I think more and more people are losing patience with the "we are praying for the victims" poo poo. It's obviously code for "let's not ask any uncomfortable questions or actually do anything.

The video is down in that link but I'm not convinced Todd said what that article suggested he said. The quote they have is “Do you think we can ever have a conversation where we have the terrorism conversation and the gun conversation, where it can have this without without trying to politicize one version of events over the other?”

That sounds to me like he's asking Sanders if there will come a time when the issue can be addressed without it coming back to "right vs left" politics, when people will be able to just agree on the problem. But I could be wrong as I haven't found the video.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

meristem posted:

I'm curious about the logistics. How did he get into the club carrying that AR15 (or whatever that was)? Is that, uh, legal in Florida and/or was there no security at the entrance?

In fairness, if you get all the way up to the door of a night club carrying a massive gun that shoots a zillion bullets I think you're already home free. Like, even if the security was armed they still have to react before you start unloading bullets into them and a crowded sardine can.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

FourLeaf posted:

Pretty sure the Trump one was about him denying that he made fun of the disabled reporter

e: well wait, no, that one's still there

Trump deleted a typo version of that disabled reporter one. The Dan Patrick one was a bible quote "Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows." He claimed it was just a coincidence and anyone who says otherwise is "irresponsible" (as opposed to the guy who "accidentally" tweeted a quote that sounded a lot like victim blaming after news had already broke of a terrible tragedy).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That's true. I just dread the incoming shitstorm that is inevitably going to drown out the news about the actual attack itself.

The problem is its been shown time and time again that if you finally give in and give these guys what they want they just demand something else. And they won't give you credit for giving them it, they'll just use your delay as another attack. If Obama came out and said "radical islamic terrorism" then Republicans would just talk about how weak he is to take so long and then give in all while claiming this means he agrees with every islamaphobic idea they have.

You know, besides the fact that there's actual reasons Obama doesn't say "islamic terrorism" like not wanting to paint a broad brush across billions of people who loosely share a religion, not wanting to cause diplomatic headaches with muslim countries, or in this case the fact that no evidence has come out that the guy actually had any ties to a terrorist group besides invoking their name.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Epic High Five posted:

Also I've got my doubts as to how much this helps Trump given that:

1) San Bernadino didn't help him
2) Hillary's nickname in a lot of circles is Killary

I think though if it DOESN'T help him, it becomes a lot more likely that the GOP risks a fracture and ousts him from the nomination

Haven't there been a bunch of "who do you feel safe with protecting our country?" polls that went against Trump? It seems like an inherent assumption we make that just because Trump talks tough on terrorism that people actually buy what he's selling. Besides of course the percentage of the percentage he's long had.

As someone else said it helps him because it takes the media's attention off his many problems and puts it on something he can yell about. But honestly I think its a toss up that Trump even gets through this news cycle without saying another potentially damaging crazy thing like "we should kill/jail his family" or "I guess we need to investigate/ban all Muslim American citizens since he wasn't an immigrant" or go back to his bizarre "we need to kick ISIS off the internet" thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Glumslinger posted:

More people died in a terrorist attacks under Republican administrations.

Always funny how everyone forgets about that 9/11 thing that happened

That was an outlier that clearly shouldn't count.

He kept us safe.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bloody Pancreas posted:

I've always wondered what these gun sellers (gun stores or otherwise) feel about knowing that they sold a gun to a terrorist. Like isn't there at least a modicum of self-doubt in at least some of them? Like if the seller scanned this dude's card and found that he openly supported ISIS he wouldn't have sold it to him. I'm really struggling to comprehend this part right now without going into "haha gun sellers are all NRA nutjobs no one cares" hyperbole.

There has to be some kind of deal you make with your self if you're in that business. Like, even if the overwhelming majority of guns you sell are for hunters and home protection you have to understand just 1 out of 100, maybe 1 out of 1000, of the guns you personally sell will be used to murder someone. Or some kid will pick it up because their parents were careless assholes. Or some paranoid loon will kill their kid when they come home late or some stranger who knocks on the door after dark.

I assume that if you're someone who will be bothered by that then you either get out of the business and go sell something less dangerous or you make some kind of deluded self rationalization you need to survive. And otherwise you just don't think about it and don't care because you're just not the kind of person who gives a poo poo.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

stinkles1112 posted:

When was the last time a Hillary or Bernie campaign trail speech got broadcast uninterrupted on all three main cable news channels start-to-almost-finish? Serious question. They're just playing straight into Big Don's tiny hands, every day.

The presumptive Republican nominee delivering a prepared speech about the largest mass shooting in US history and addressing his controversial campaign promises is probably safely "newsworthy." The constant rally speeches is another subject, obviously, but Hillary would get the same coverage if she called the media up and gave them a full day's prepping. Mostly Trump just gets a lot of media attention because he's a massive media whore who sets it up. But like the time to box him out passed a long time ago and now he's just one of the most important people in this country.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

stinkles1112 posted:

Ugh..you're totally right and gently caress I guess it just hasn't sunk in fully yet that he's legitimized now

Its understandable. Its a scary new world.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Good. From what I gather from his speech I personally doubt that his poll numbers are going to change in either direction.

Only changes would come if people were somehow convinced by that speech that Trump would be better. But it was a lot of the same incomprehensible stuff with a fair amount of lies and a healthy helping of islamophobia and just a splash of conspiracy theory. No actual policy or ideas. I'm not convinced that will win over anyone who isn't already won over by it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was feeling better yesterday until I saw CNN airing that poo poo.

We're a sick loving society.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oxxidation posted:

My dad's a bow hunter and one thing you learn as a bow hunter is that deer are too loving stupid to know when they're dead. "Oh I have a sharp object embedded in the meat of my brain, now would be a grand time to run five hundred yards and bleed out in some impossibly small crevice far from any prying eyes."

Honestly, that just makes me sympathize with the deer. You go, Bambi. You may be almost dead but maybe you can still ruin that fucker's day and make him work for this. Maybe he'll have a heart attack and you'll be even. And while I hope your father lives a long and wonderful life I sympathize with that deer's desire for revenge.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 14, 2016

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fans posted:

If there was a club where people regularly carried guns who the gently caress would go to it?

Drunk people with guns, yeah that sounds like it'll all work out.

Yeah, this fantasy scenario just ends with like 3 shootings in a month and the club shutting down.

Those places actually exist in terrible neighborhoods. They're scary.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh, I live near plenty of woods. I know deer are stupid assholes who seem to actively seek out moving cars and make all the worse possible choices.

But I can't help but laugh at the mental image of a hunter shooting a deer, pumping his fist, and then watching it run off past the horizon.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, he's on Trump's team. Clearly he just wants to follow through on Trump's policy of waging war on the killer's wife and child.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wait, why was Christie screaming about Muslims on WFAN? That's a sports station. Did he just blurt into it while complaining about the Jets or something?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

CitizenKain posted:

You can't walk into a school with a cigarette and kill 20 children either.

And there's a whole bunch of laws about what you can drink, where, and what you're allowed to do while drinking.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

It would be interesting to see the response to proposing minors be banned from using/being supplied with guns.

Who am I kidding the response would be the same as every other proposed restriction

I still kind of can't wrap my mind around the fact that that's not already the case.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zoux posted:

You want to strip parents of their rights to arm their children?

Yes?

I really, really do.

Why in the world haven't we already been doing that along with like every other loving thing that poses even a minor danger to kids or that kids can't be expected to use responsibly?

I keep waiting to find out I'm being punked.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zoux posted:

The NRA.

It doesn't make any loving sense and I feel like I'm crazy.

(I know you agree. I just can't loving wrap my head around it.)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lid posted:

Of all the papers to pull why start with a Murdoch paper

I'm pretty sure the poster is confusing the Wall Street Journal with the Washington Post. Trump pulled the credentials of the Post yesterday.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Goatman Sacks posted:

Is it too early/am I being to hopeful or are the wheels really coming off the Trump Train finally? It's like the media finally woke up after he called them all in on a Saturday to call them all pieces of poo poo

Its a long road but its a really bad sign for Trump that he can't seem to gain his footing and almost every other Republican still openly resists coming to his defense. Its hard to see this all coming together for the Convention in a month and its bad if the narrative coming out of that is how many Republicans aren't there because they refuse to stand with Trump and how divided the party is.

Like, Hillary has to worry about Bernie getting on board, and signs seem to be pointing to him doing it. Trump needs to worry about almost everyone getting on board and right now half of them are pretending they don't know who Donald Trump is.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Ban gun sales to the no fly list, get the NRA to lobby for eliminating the list, score one for liberals. :smug:

Edit: Is it possible Trump won't be able to find somebody willing to be his VP candidate?

The idea that Trump won't be able to find a VP seem weirdly dumb to me. There's already plenty of candidates on his team like Chris Christie, Ben Carson, Mike Huckabee, Jeff Sessions, Sarah Palin, Scott Brown, and Newt Gingrich. Newt and Christie very much seem to be angling for it publicly.

The issue is there's no GOOD candidates who will actually help Trump unite the party or reach out to a demographic he's weak on, because they're all running away from him because he's so toxic to those very groups Trump is having trouble with. So he'll just end up doubling down with whoever it is and it won't help him move forward. The most one of these candidates can do is give an air of experience in government but half of them don't even do that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I fully expect to eventually hear the phrase "it was an American club."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Teddybear posted:

Does... Does he not know what gay is?

I suspect there's at least a few Congressmen and Senators who sincerely don't know that "LGBT" is a "gay thing."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Meat Recital posted:

Sanders isn't wrong, but it seems like a really odd time to start banging that drum.

I like a lot of Bernie's policies and all but he doesn't strike me as a terrible skilled politician.

Like, isn't this the stuff you should be negotiating privately with Hillary? Make a deal for some policy commitments, a speaker slot at the Convention, and a favorable replacement for DWS or something? No?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zoux posted:

He thought he'd have a lot more leverage at this point.

But that ship sailed last week when he was personally on hand to watch the entire party line up behind Hillary and he publicly announced he'd work with her to beat Trump, no? So what the hell, Bernie? What's the plan?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zoux posted:

I mean, right now he has the entire Democratic establishment pushing him to bring his people into the fold, and his people have been utterly poisoned against HRC, so this is going to be a trickier landing than most. I'm fine with giving him all the latitude he needs. People think that the address he's going to give to his supporters on Thursday is when he'll do it.

Also:
https://twitter.com/CBSDFW/status/742835254994608128

Yeah, no, I'm fine with Bernie easing into endorsing Hillary and doing his best to make it feel natural to his supporters and not get an ugly scene. I'm not one of the people who was mad at him for not dropping out already. I also assume he'll do it on Thursday but I'm even fine if he drags it out a bit as long as he stops running against Hillary since the primary is over and doesn't try and pull a coup at the Convention.

Just, you're talking to Hillary in like an hour or something. Why take a public shot at DWS/the DNC now?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eh, I'm not mad. You folks are probably right. I don't even like DWS and I doubt it really does anything to hurt Hillary/help Trump. It just seemed like odd timing is all.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Who on earth is saying Hillary is literally going to lose because Sanders' is an entitled babyman?

We're laughing at him, we're not tearing our hair out and wailing in horror, man.

Yeah, I seemed to be the most vocal critic and I just kind of thought it was weird and I'm kind of killing time before I leave work.

For what its worth I think Hillary is a favorite on paper against a seemingly week opponent but nothing is certain, she has her flaws, and there's a lot of wildcards so I still care when and if something happens to hurt her or help Trump. But I don't really think this is that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Chuck Todd is interview Wisconsin Senator Ron Johnson and he's pretty much confirming that this whole "ok, we'll do something about gun control" thing is a smoke screen. He repeatedly says "we'll talk and see what we need" but every time Todd brings up something specific like gun shows, private sellers, more ATF workers, etc. Johnson just shoots it down and says "no, we don't need that."

They're just holding a media fillibuster waiting for the next story to make this go away.

Then for kicks he asked Johnson about Trump's comments and if he was comfortable running with him and Johnson's responded (twice) with "hope springs eternal."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ColdPie posted:

OK you win, no guns for hunting either. Use crossbows.

Can't we just pass a law that shames hunters into "hunting like real men"?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hollismason posted:

Wait, we are suppose to register for the draft? I thought that was like just automatic thing.

I'm pretty sure you just get automatically ticked when you go to the DMV.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I don't actually remember registering but I got student loans and voted and have a license and been called for jury duty so I just assume that if it hasn't come up yet it won't. I'm getting kind of old. They had to be a box on one of those forms I checked.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ColdPie posted:

Realtalk the most frustrating thing about gun crazies is that they're right. The 2nd amendment pretty explicitly guarantees every citizen the right to their own mass-murder-suicide. I think a serious proposal to repeal and possibly replace the 2nd amendment would get a lot of public support, but not enough. Maybe up to 50% of the popular vote if the campaign was well managed. But that's still not enough. So the murders continue.

What's the political party for "I think its really stupid that we base all our laws and our entire system off of stuff a bunch of guys came up with 240 years ago and pretend nothing has substantially changed and they didn't get anything wrong like not letting anyone who wasn't white, male, and a land owner have any rights"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Goons, I know that we were all worried about the future of the GOP, but you can relax:

This made my skin crawl a little.

• Locked thread