Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Another Sikh shot dead, this time the owner of a gas station in Newark. No robbery, no signs of struggle, just the owner shot behind the counter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

naw this is the week right before finals at UCLA

maybe the dude's targeting someone who got an internship or job over him?

There were a bunch of protests at UCLA yesterday because Milo was invited to give a speech about the evils of feminism and the event ended up ending early because of a bomb threat. Maybe the #BetaUprising is back again.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

NBC LA says the LAPD found a suicide note and a handgun near the victims so...

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Obama has finally figured out Republicans will reflexively oppose everything he says, 7 years and 6 months into his presidency, proposes increasing social security.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Director of the Georgia ACLU quit because she thinks trans rights are "competing" with women's rights.

quote:

In a statement she accused the ACLU of being “a special interest organization that promotes not all, but certain progressive rights. In that way, it is a special interest organization not unlike the conservative right, which creates a hierarchy of rights based on who is funding the organization’s lobbying activities.”

Dillard Smith argues that transgender rights have “intersectionality with other competing rights, particularly the implications for women’s rights.”

“I have shared my personal experience of having taken my elementary school age daughters into a women’s restroom when shortly after three transgender young adults over six feet with deep voices entered,” she writes. “My children were visibly frightened, concerned about their safety and left asking lots of questions for which I, like many parents, was ill-prepared to answer.”

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The UCLA shooter had a hit list in his home including the professor he shot and woman in Minnesota. The LAPD said she was found dead today. :(

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Somebody in one of the teacher threads in SAL a while back said that all the faculty in their college had to go to a workshop on de-escalating angry students because the administration was concerned about shootings. I'm so glad I'm not in college now.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

KomradeX posted:

But wasn't his name not even on that list of potentials that got leaked?

Wasn't that list ripped from some blogger's rear end?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

So a Blue Angels plane crashed in Tennessee today and an Air Force Thunderbirds plane crashed after doing a flyover for the Air Force Academy's graduation.

What does Obama Hillary know and why did he allow terrorists to kill our pilots?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

http://wfla.com/2016/06/02/indiana-teen-goes-on-purge-allegedly-killed-three-people-in-four-days/

quote:

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – An Indianapolis teenager is charged with 17 counts, including murder and armed robbery. Prosecutors said he bragged about killing three people to friends and picked his victims at random.

Jonathan Cruz, 19, will make his first court appearance Thursday afternoon. The crime spree allegedly happened over a time span of four days between May 12th to May 15th on the north and east side of Indianapolis.

Cruz is first accused of killing two men on May 12. Court documents link Cruz to the murder of Billy Boyd, who was found dead on a sidewalk, shot in the head twice. From there, Cruz is believed to have murdered Jay Higgenbotham, who had been shot multiple times. Days later, prosecutors believe he murdered Jose Ruiz.

He is also accused of committing an armed robbery May 14. A victim said he was robbed of cash and two cell phones by two men. Those men have been identified as Cruz and 18-year-old Steven Clark.

Cruz told one person he had been “purging” in reference to a movie.

“For those of you familiar with the movie ‘The Purge’ the premise of that movie was for one night each year the government would allow citizens to commit any crime without fear of prosecution,” said Terry Curry, Marion County Prosecutor.

A criminal gang enhancement has also been filed, which could result in a doubling of Cruz’s sentence, if convicted.

“Just when you think you cannot experience anything more inexplicable and shocking as we frequently do, you’re then confronted with circumstances that almost leave you at a loss for words,” said Curry.

“We couldn’t really pin point why this was occurring,” said Chief Troy Riggs, IMPD. “We were very concerned we may have additional victims.”

But investigators said someone came forward with valuable information. This person said Cruz tried to show her a video of a shooting on his phone.

Not only that, investigators also collected evidence from social media, photos, videos, and text messages. Like his alleged messages that read, “I purge every night.” and “I should go kill your step dad, but I’m most likely already going to be on the news.”

People are hosed up.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

FairGame posted:

It's been years since I took Spanish (and god, I wish I'd paid more attention instead of switching to learn totally useless Japanese), but shouldn't that either be "la problema" or "el problemo"?

We used to run into poo poo like that all the time where we wanted to have a Spanish language outreach but nobody on staff could do a good job translating and it'd just end up embarrassing and Google Translate-ish. (Thankfully now we have this problem more than solved)

:ese: It's el problema because it's a Greek loanword which was neuter with an -a ending in Latin.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

VikingofRock posted:

For people who think voting should be mandatory: what do you think the penalty should be for not voting?

:commissar:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

They probably legitimately don't want a sudden rush of harassment from the crazier wing of Bernie supporters.

That's not stopping it.

https://twitter.com/amychozick/status/740228091210006528

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I feel as though the jacket thing may not be about the jacket.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Caught on video: a white hospital volunteer attacking a black family in North Carolina. Not caught on video, the volunteer saying:

quote:

Get your black kids out of here. Do you even have a job? Do you know what a job is, friend of the family? This is what Donald Trump’s talking about, people like you.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Necc0 posted:

a lot of them seem to be pointing back to a zerohedge (lol) article that's bernie-math as gently caress

Normally a candidate's got a 50/50 chance of winning California. But Bernie's a political freak and he's not normal, so Hillary's got a 25% at best at beating him. See the three way, in the general, you got a 33 1/3% chance of winning, but Bernie's got a 66 2/3% chance of winning, because Trump KNOWS he can't beat Bernie and he's not even gonna try.

So Clinton takes her 33 1/3% chance minus Bernie's 25% chance and she's got an 8 1/3% chance of winning the general. So you take Bernie's 75% chance, if they were to go one-on-one, and add his 66 2/3% chance, Bernie should have 141 2/3% in the polls.

The numbers don't lie and they spell disaster for Hillary in California.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Somebody blew up a Target women's bathroom in Chicago with a water bottle bomb.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/alivitali/status/740966526644289540

The thousand-year Trumpenreich appears to be failing to get off the ground.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

On Terra Firma posted:

I mean they can just can't eat it right? There aren't any rules about picking up a bag of bacon looking at it and going "...okay and?" right?

No, only the strictest interpretations say you can never handle pork ever period. Even in super fundamentalist countries it's considered perfectly acceptable for stores to stock pork and sell it to non-Muslims! And of course there's exceptions for being forced to consume pork, which isn't a sin.

The way I've heard it explained is that these people who leave pork around because MUSLIMS CAN'T TOUCH IT OR THEY GO TO HELL think that Muslims are as fundamentalist as they are and that Allah works by the same rules as they believe God does.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I remember reading once that some guy asked their imam about it and the imam just said "Wash your hands and you're good."

In fact, this site seems to indicate that touching a dog is worse than touching pig stuff.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the mainstream belief is just "wash your hands before the next time you pray" which you'd do anyway because ew, raw bacon. You can ask a thousand imams and you'll get a thousand different answers.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I don't think you were supposed to take Lee Atwater that literally...

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

greatn posted:

That death number isn't going to stay at twenty is it? 😭

It's at 50.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

greatn posted:

The post above just said 50 casualties, that means death or injury.

The Orlando mayor is giving a press conference right now, 50 dead and 53 injured.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Sure is! Enjoy the endless politicizing over the largest shooting in American history being at a gay nightclub during Pride week.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/ashtonpittman/status/741997239636086784

welp

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The Lieutenant Governor of Texas has weighed in!

https://twitter.com/DanPatrick/status/741963306294902785

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

It Begins

https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/742002264114597888

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/BreakingNews/status/742041568069193728

welp

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

:psyduck: Why didn't his loving company FIRE HIM!

The FBI investigated him and figured out he was full of poo poo.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/AymanM/status/742736556239290368

:wtc: this story gets weirder and weirder.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Oh and the Russian government's hacking teams have been spying on the DNC's email and chat system for months and also stole... opposition research on Donald Trump. Isn't that interesting with how much Putin "loves" Trump and how close his campaign manager guy is to the Russians.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Thaddius the Large posted:

Why bother? Isn't Putin the varsity squad, and Trump's the towel boy for JV?

The theory is Trump's an unknown factor in politics and they want to learn as much as they can about him.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I like this new and improved Democratic Party that's actually going after Trump. I also like this new and improved Obama who's calling out congressional Republicans. Glad!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

zoux posted:

Is Disney pretty good on gay issues (you know for a multi national faceless corporate machine)? I know they had unofficial "Gay Days" in the park for years and years even before public opinion changed, but as far as their policies?

They don't discriminate against LGBT as far as I know, just Soviet premiers and filthy hippies. Gay Days isn't organized by Disney but their policy has been to treat it like any other day.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I fully expect to eventually hear the phrase "it was an American club."

Not quite.

https://twitter.com/dnewhauser/status/742809565763362817

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Rick Scott: "The Second Amendment didn't kill anybody."

Where's :ironicat: slowly growing and barfing :ironicat:s everywhere

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

Can I get a video for context on this? I gotta know if he was a streaker, did he show up naked, or if he pulled a Ric Flair and got so excited during his speech he had to strip.

He was a VP candidate. He went up to give a speech and instead yanked all his clothes off and started dancing. He explained he just won a bet and withdrew his nomination.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

I'm all in for burning Atlanta again.

Hell yeah burn the 4th largest majority black city in the country gently caress the south

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

It's official now:

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/743132727902412800

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

"Aircraft carriers probably cost a million bucks." --The Republican presidential candidate, June 15 2016

• Locked thread