Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

C-Euro posted:

Needs Turn 1 Hedron Crab :colbert:

What's your list? I spent the first 2 1/2 games at FNM wishing I was playing Mill instead. I also found out that one of my wife's former colleagues plays Magic and is trying to get into Modern by building that deck.

Deck: Dimir Mill

//Lands
2 Watery Grave
1 Flooded Strand
3 Swamp
1 Verdant Catacombs
2 Darkslick Shores
1 Sunken Hollow
1 Shelldock Isle
1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds
3 Island
4 Polluted Delta
4 Ghost Quarter

//Mill
4 Glimpse the Unthinkable
4 Hedron Crab
2 Manic Scribe
3 Mesmeric Orb
3 Mind Funeral
4 Archive Trap
3 Fraying Sanity

//Other
2 Snapcaster Mage
3 Fatal Push
3 Surgical Extraction
4 Visions of Beyond
2 Crypt Incursion

//Sideboard
2 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
2 Dispel
2 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Crypt Incursion
1 Lost Legacy
2 Set Adrift
1 Surgical Extraction
2 Yahenni's Expertise
2 Thoughtseize

Display deck statistics

I would probably cut the Dispels for some more removal (Dismember/Hero's Downfall) because Mill folds to most PWs pretty hard. Maybe even the Ashioks as well (I was originally playing those instead of Sanity but Sanity is too good.) Maybe with that much Sanity cut a land, go up another Orb? Two Orbs and a Sanity can very quickly game over.

I beat GW Humans and Skred, lost to Affinity (unless I'm playing Recall, an almost impossible matchup) Abzan, UR Breach (I almost won the 2nd game with two Sanitys out, was able to mill 40 cards after the first trigger to remove them but just not enough) and Eldazi Tron (Game 2 had a Chalice on 3 that turned off almost of my stuff, Game 3 had a Turn 1 Chalice on 1 so I couldn't Extract the pieces.) Modern is not moving in a Mill happy direction with a Gideon emblem being impossible to beat Game 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Scribe had been nothing more than bolt fodder every time it showed up. Cutting them for more removal could be an idea.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ideas for other decks? You could do very bad Rack decks or very bad UB control. Opt, Mana Leak, Whispers of the Muse, Dissipate, Terror, Smother, Funeral Charm, winning with Mahamoti Djinn and Bribery.

edit: if you're allowing old frame promos then this deck can have Bob. The more I think about it the more I want to try on X-Mage.

Deck: UB Control in Modern (using pre-Modern cards)

//Lands
2 Faerie Conclave
6 Island
4 Polluted Delta
6 Swamp
4 Underground River

//Spells
4 Bribery
2 Dissipate
4 Mana Leak
4 Opt
4 Smother
3 Terror
2 Whispers of the Muse

//Creatures
2 Mahamoti Djinn
4 Merfolk Looter
2 Nekrataal
4 Phyrexian Rager
3 Shadowmage Infiltrator

//Sideboard
4 Cruel Edict
3 Infest
3 Duress
4 Tormod's Crypt
1 Time Warp

Display deck statistics

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 30, 2017

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

there's an old-frame dark confidant?

Judge promo.

https://magiccards.info/jr/en/61.html

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

OK thinking of these is kinda fun.

Deck: 8 Rack in Modern (Using Pre-Modern Cards)

//Lands
22 Swamp

//Spells
4 Blackmail
2 Cruel Edict
4 Funeral Charm
4 Megrim
4 Mutilate
1 Phyrexian Arena
3 Stupor
4 The Rack
2 Underworld Dreams

//Creatures
2 Mindslicer
4 Phyrexian Rager
4 Ravenous Rats

//Sideboard
4 Darkness
4 Rain of Tears
4 Duress
3 Vicious Hunger

Display deck statistics

Replace Bobs with Ragers if that's all right.

edit: why the gently caress is the rack 15 tix on magic online.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Star Man posted:

I may have completely forgotten about Ramunap Excavator and was thinking there was some kind of Ramunap Red deck in Modern now.

God I need to move to a place with a Modern scene.

8 Whack should be able to run 4 Ramunap Ruins.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Also me for no money

I call dibs on Tundras.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

C-Euro posted:

And whenever I start to think "I should slim down my collection" I see dumbass decks like this and think to myself "hmmm I only need to pick up these playsets and then I can run this!"

Magic: the Gathering: It's dumb as hell (and I love it)

I've played against Grixis Control alot. If you don't have the tar pits, don't bother. It really lives or dies on them.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

L0cke17 posted:

It (Blood Sun) has potential in modern to make the ravnica bouncelands just etb tapped sol lands. So perhaps some sort of primeval titan/amulet deck would benefit from this as well, with its hosing of fetches being incidental to its playability

Isn't a big part of that deck being able to bounce Tolaria West back to your hand?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Skyl3lazer posted:

Just as a note they'd just be 2 color sol lands, they'd enter untapped.

The best parts of the Amulet/Titanshift decks are about abusing abilities of lands. Getting a Blood Sun out just makes you a slower Tron deck.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

C-Euro posted:

Most or all of the UW decks at my store have moved to Jeskai and honestly I've had more trouble with my UWx matches since the shift. I lost to someone on it last FNM, and according to them having access to burn spells makes it way easier to close out games with Jeskai than straight UW. I've not piloted either deck though so I can't say for certain.

I've played with both UW and the new Secure the Wastes Jeskai build. Search for Azcanta may be the big reason these decks are coming back (even though UW was back before Search came out running Gideons.) It is not a proactive play, but it makes your late game so much better. Gearhulk can also block everything in the format besides Titans and Shadows if that is needed, and is a better clock than Snapcaster.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ashen Rider. Which is in my sideboard for the same reason.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BrianBoitano posted:

I'm newly back to mtg, could you see if I understand that deck right?

Try to flip Jace and get big fatties in your graveyard along with living end. Jace's second ability lets you flash back Living End for free.

There's another 2cc way to get grisly into play which nets you lots of cards, which might let you combo out?

There's also a Kiki Jiki 2 card infinite attackers combo on turn 5 (4 with spirit guide).

Anything else?

It is every viable combo deck modern has ever had shoved together in 1 deck.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Turns beats Lantern and Tron very well.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

j8910 posted:

What's the most fun modern deck?

mill, no, swans

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheKingofSprings posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/dutchopenseries first medium size tournament with the new cards is going on for anyone who wants to take a look

Watching Turns vs. RW Control and these people play like they've never seen the game before

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Relic/Scourge was "cute" in Skred too until someone won a GP with it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

myDad posted:

help what have I done

How often have you gotten to Hymn on T2?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

EvilBeard posted:

I would be playing Lands, but Union Contract negotiations got scheduled for this week and last week.

Get your union to strike in solidarity with magic judges, bing bang boom kill several birds with one stone

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Soul Glo posted:

might be fake, do the rip test

It might be real, do the rip test

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mezzanon posted:

Are you interested in an artist signed mox jet?

I'll give you 4 promo treasure hunts

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

by me

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I've had Bogles more or less built since 2015, although I haven't played it in forever. It was my first real modern deck (not counting mill, of course.)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I'm just going to put this out there. My buddy is cashing out if anyone knows any whales here looking.

Yeah, one buyer sounds like a plan

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Spirit of the Lab seems like a good card to have out with burning inquiry.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Tim Raines IRL posted:

gently caress me for not buying volcanics

I was thinking about getting a Bayou yesterday, but instead I bought everything else I needed for in turbo depths instead.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

If I am playing in an unknown meta PPTQ next week, should I play Jund or Mardu?

Jund Pros:
I have a Tarmogoyf dice
BBE is a fun card to cast
My Bobs are French
One Tireless Tracker draws lots of cards
Feeling good knowing my deck is probably more expensive than any opponent

Jund cons;
Probably can't beat Tron
Not knowing what combo of Push/Bolt/Decay/Bore/Pulse can be tricky and cost me
Need to borrow the last Verdant Catacombs from a friend

Mardu pros:
Getting to play with the best draw three in Modern
Spirit token game is on point
As is Elementals and Goblin tokens for Rabblemasters in the SB
Blood Moon free winniness
Probably better in an unknown meta

Mardu cons:
Probably can't beat Tron
Lingering Souls are a horrible 3DKA/1MM2017 split
My snow-covered Plains is not as cool as the other snow basics
No manlands

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Don't tell me Jund is bad don't tell me

I'm going to go to Hong Kong next week and win

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Lawnie posted:

It’s not great, bob.

Good thing I've sadly moved away from Bob and into the Tracker build. SB is more for control (which I expect to be out in force.)

Deck: Jund

//Lands
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
1 Blood Crypt
3 Bloodstained Mire
2 Overgrown Tomb
2 Raging Ravine
1 Snow-Covered Forest
1 Snow-Covered Mountain
2 Snow-Covered Swamp
1 Stomping Ground
1 Treetop Village
1 Twilight Mire
4 Verdant Catacombs
1 Wooded Foothills

//Spells
2 Abrupt Decay
2 Collective Brutality
1 Dreadbore
2 Fatal Push
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Kolaghan's Command
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Liliana of the Veil
1 Liliana, the Last Hope
1 Maelstrom Pulse
2 Thoughtseize

//Creatures
3 Bloodbraid Elf
2 Scavenging Ooze
4 Tarmogoyf
3 Tireless Tracker

//Sideboard
1 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
1 Anger of the Gods
1 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
1 Languish
3 Fulminator Mage
1 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Nissa, Vital Force
1 Pithing Needle
2 Obstinate Baloth
1 Nihil Spellbomb

Display deck statistics

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Bob can be a great card in Jund's bad matchups
I loved Bob against Tron because it was a card draw machine. If control can't kill him he wins you the game. But Humans, Burn, or Hollow One, he has cost me many games.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Fingers McLongDong posted:

So I'm thinking spirits is actually the better tribe in the current modern metagame. Convince me I'm wrong. UW is moving up to be the new top dog in the format and spirits is better against it than humans. Need to get me some drogskol captains before it's a $10 uncommon with only 1 printing.

As a Jund player, I am more afraid of a good humans pilot than a Spirits player. I always felt like Humans has a better chance to go wide and a better long game. Drogskol Captains are bad but hopefully they don't have the double company hits and you should be ok.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Network42 posted:

This is literally 8whack from mtggoldfish budget magic.

Yeah I remember walking ar on day 2 and seeing a board of bushwacker, burning tree and a goblin grenade in hand and Wondering what the hell happened. I wrote up my thoughts on the GP at MTG salvation. I went 4-4 in the main event but 4-1 in the PTQ Sunday. I went 1-1 against spirits and 1-1 against humans. It was the first time I lost to Spirits in paper. It is true that Jund can't block poo poo against them, and if they draw enough hexproof dudes and quellers, they tempo you out. It's a hard matchup but winnable if it lines up for you. Trophy would make it much better.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I played one match against a mardu deck where I landed t1 blood moon game one and then won a grindy game 2 off of garruk/jace, then played against mono U fish and got obliterated in a match where he stumbled on land drops g2 and I had him dead to board when he passed turn t3 (and still might have lost if he'd just had the nuts again as he did in g1/3). I think I needs anger of the gods or blasphemous act + negate for that matchup to be winnable.

How are you getting turn 1 Blood Moons?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

AlternateNu posted:

2 SSGs? SSG + ritual? There are a few ways.

I ask because they aren't in that list. Turn 2 makes sense though.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ilmucche posted:

Out of curiosity I read one of the articles about timmies and johnnies etc and it said that call of the herd was a good card. A 3/3 for 4 with flashback doesn't seem that great, espeically compared to call of the conclave or advent of the wurm. Am I just looking at it through a modern lens and it was great in legacy?

Good enough to be rare in MM2017!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Yes... ha ha ha...Yes!!!

Those wacky ball lightning company decks seem so fun but I ain't spending money on Groundbreakers.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Creeping Chill may be strictly better than Siege Rhino

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ilmucche posted:

I learned that rest in peace makes voice of resurgence not "die". Guess it makes for easy sideboard when out: 4 voice; in: 2 rest in peace, 2 scavenging ooze

It also can screw up Arcbound Ravager/Worker triggers.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I cut the Bobs and have never looked back, but if I was playing straight GB I would play Bobs and Tracker because I love drawing cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ShaneB posted:

Yeah what's your Jund deck looking like? I'd rather be more aggressive than grindy.

I thought I posted my GP HK post here but I guess only on MTGSalvation. Obviously this is all before Trophy. I would replace the Decays and Dreasbore with 3 of that. I have played Modern only once since then, and I didn't play this. I still need to buy Trophies.

GoutPatrol posted:

So I'm back home from GP Hong Kong. I went 4-4 in the main event. With no byes, I started 3-0, then lost 4 in a row. 3 of those matches in a row to topdecked Arcbound Ravagers (2 of those 3 for exact damage through pumping Balista,) which is a bad feeling. The biggest decks there were BY FAR UW/Jeskai control, followed by Bant Spirits and Humans, then Affinity and its multiple versions. Very little in the way of GY decks like Hollow One or Bridgevine. I did change my SB a little for the event compared to what I said...

Sideboard
1 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
1 Anger of the Gods
1 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
1 Languish
3 Fulminator Mage
1 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Nissa, Vital Force
1 Choke
1 Shatterstorm
2 Nihil Spellbomb
2 Surgical Extraction

Lands
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
1 Blood Crypt
3 Bloodstained Mire
2 Overgrown Tomb
2 Raging Ravine
1 Snow-Covered Forest
1 Snow-Covered Mountain
2 Snow-Covered Swamp
1 Stomping Ground
1 Treetop Village
1 Twilight Mire
4 Verdant Catacombs
1 Wooded Foothills

Spells
2 Abrupt Decay
2 Collective Brutality
1 Dreadbore
2 Fatal Push
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Kolaghan's Command
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Liliana of the Veil
1 Liliana, the Last Hope
1 Maelstrom Pulse
2 Thoughtseize

Creatures
4 Bloodbraid Elf
2 Scavenging Ooze
4 Tarmogoyf
3 Tireless Tracker

My records for the GP matchups...
1 Bant Spirits (2-0) 1-0
2 Burn (2-0)
3 Affinity (2-0)
4 Jeskai Control (1-2) 3-1 (This one was even more heartbreaking than the affinity matches. I could feel the game slipping away game 3 when they were empty-handed with 6 mana up, I have only K-Command in my hand. I try to draw step discard/return BBE, and they got a Cryptic to counter. I drew a land next turn and they flipped an Azcanta to seal the deal)
5 Harden Scales Affinity (1-2) 3-2 (also a hard one. I won game 1, and had Shatterstorm in my hand with only 1 red mana game 2 for 3 turns.)
6 Harden Scales Affinity (1-2) 3-3
7 Affinity (1-2) 3-4
8 Affinity (2-1) 4-4

After Saturday, I switched a Spellbomb with an Ancient Grudge for the PTQ. Of course, I never faced any Affinity, which is exactly what does happen when you make that switch. It was only 5 rounds for the PTQ, but I went 4-1 for 22nd place out of 175. Everyone in the top 8 of that started 4-0 and IDed. Matches there...

1 Bant Spirits (1-2) 0-1
2 Burn (2-0) 1-1
3 Humans (2-1) 2-1
4 Burn (2-0) 3-1
5 UR Wizards (2-0) 4-1

Looking at the Jund list that T8 the main event, you may be talking about Grim Flayer, but I would be looking at the sideboard for why they made it. Maybe the Chandra as well. Walking around the top tables on Sunday, there was only 1 Jund player, so it must have been him. Deglamer and CoBru were excellent additions because Welding Jar was everywhere, and bringing in ways to get around Artifact regen and Selfless Spirit was the way to go.

Overall, I still agree with my take that Bob is not where you want to be right now against the field. You need a creature that can attack profitably, and Flayer or Tracker fit the bill while still giving you card selection/advantage. I never lost a match against burn this weekend and I attribute that all to this decision to cut Bobs and maindeck Brutality - its like I've already sideboarded against them.