Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

Should I play UR Breach or GW Ramunap/KotR Company at FNM tonight? I know GW better than UR and I think it's a better deck right now, but I've been meaning to get some reps in with UR and might just need to take some lumps tonight to get some experience. Help me make important life decisions goons.

Which deck do you like playing? gives you the most sexual gratification?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

ShadeofBlue posted:

I'd definitely try out one or two. I don't know if it replaces Ancestral Vision necessarily, though, I feel like those fill different roles.

Yeah I feel that way too, thing is though, Search feels really... dirdle-y compared to just Ancestral, especially since some of your best cards are creatures.

Like for me it's more of a control oriented card than a tempo plan one, but I can definitely see playing it if I want to play more of the control shell version of faeries.

What are you guys' sideboards? I have 9 cards dedicated to aggro lol.

1x Collective Brutality
2x Countersquall
2x Damnation
1x Disdainful Stroke
1x Engineered Explosives
2x Gifted Aetherborn
1x Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
2x Liliana, the Last Hope
1x Mistbind Clique
1x Nihil Spellbomb
1x Relic of Progenitus

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 10, 2018

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Sampatrick posted:

Ehhh, I don't know if replace is the right word, but I feel more comfortable playing a couple Search for Azcanta over the set of AV. It's an additional form of card advantage that synergizes quite well with passing the turn and needing to spend your mana on something. I also think AV is quite dirdle-y given that you don't get any return on investment for four turns after casting it; that's much worse than Search, which can do something pretty quickly. This is what I'm going to test for the Azcanta shell. It probably can't ever beat Burn but I think it will be stronger against the rest of the field.

I think I'd feel more comfortable if I run more Snapcasters/Delve creatures with the Azcanta, I'm only running 2 Snapcasters and no real graveyard stuff, maybe I should add 1 Tasigur in the main, not sure yet though. This is my list.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

My bad it was colorless, It That Betrays.

:parrot: Two in a row! Just control magic'd a 9/7 Predatory Ooze with Rancor and Hardened Scales x2 on it. The old dog can still bite haha. Sorry, I'll stop making posts like this, I am sure they are annoying. Nobody cares to read about random MTGO games.

No please go on, these are pretty :allears: and awesome to hear old nostalgia cards kicking rear end still. Although my memories of control magic was getting my scaled wurm taken away then having him beat my rear end :(

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Pontius Pilate posted:

Anyone messing around with mardu pyromancer in this brave new modern world? All the hype got taken out of its sails almost immediately thanks to the unbans and I’m curious what a list looks like these days.

Check out the latest SCG tourney, there's a 4 color pyro deck that's sweet as hell.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

TheKingofSprings posted:

The Jund and other grindy deck matchup

Also good vs death's shadow.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

TheKingofSprings posted:

If Cathartic Reunion didn’t get printed I think they would’ve found a place in Dredge.

Yeah that's how I ended up a playset of Burning Inquiries. I was testing them along with Conflagrate. The Conflag was much better :v:

Have you guys seen the silly Bridge/Vengevine deck from MTGGoldfish? It's insanely fast and I'm thinking about running it for fun with 4 Leyline of the Void in the main. Kind of like what Bogles do with the 4 Leyline of Sanctity in the main.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/much-abrew-bridgevine-modern

It's pretty silly with 10 2/2 zambos on turn 2.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

I played legacy again. I lost to 6 Deathrites and 5 Delvers in 2 games. Again. With the deck that's supposed to beat those things.

Time to quit for another 3 months or until they ban Deathrite and Probe.

You're still playing that Red D&T right?

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I cashed out of MTGO. Playing Xmage with the poors now.

More like the smarts!

On a modern note, I'm doing pretty well with UB Faeries with Jace. Went 3-1 yesterday in LGS weekly modern, only lost to my friend's affinity deck. Managed to beat out BW Tokens, BW Superfriends and a long as gently caress match vs Jund. I managed to end up 3rd place because 2 people drew :v:

I recently swapped out the 3 Secluded Glens in my deck for 2 Field of Ruin and 1 more Swamp for those pesky Blood Moons. Since I wouldn't actually be able to cast my SB cards vs most red decks if I don't have 2 black sources. I also removed a CoBru and Mistbind Clique from the SB for 2 Spellskites for bogles. drat bogles boggles the mind.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

Engineered Explosives on 1 feels really good against Bogles. I got to do it twice in one game against them last week thanks to E Witness! Most Faeries worth playing are 2+ CMC, right?

Yeah but you top at 2 4cmc ones. The main back bone of the deck are your Spellstutters and Bitterblossoms. Vendillion is there to basically add more beats and also some pseudo-hand disruption, and Mistbind is there for some nice 4/4 time walking and also to save yourself from your own Bitterblossom.

With inclusion of Jace though, the deck runs a lot of 4 drops now. So I'm always go 25 lands, but I'm rarely casting Jace on t4, usually holding Cryptic, Mistbind or Snappy shenanigans.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Skyl3lazer posted:

I won a bye for eternal weekend :)

:O Nice!

What are you planning to play?

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

:pusheen:

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

AkumaHokoru posted:

i was moving into norin sisters. i would change 1 norin to a squee maybe 2 and 2

What is the current list for that deck? I want to build a fun semi-casual one for a multiplayer type environment vs my casual friends.

Hey Steve, this is mine.

Not as bling as yours but it's still pretty and it's mine :D

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

I'm trying to find Japanese foil Moms and Karakases for a reasonable price right now. It's not easy.

I don't know why I'm putting so much effort money into an unplayable deck in a format I've quit for the foreseeable future, but here we are.

I thought about getting Judge Ports because I'm pretty sure I'll never get Japanese foil Ports. I still might. Kinda wish I hadn't sold the one I had in my cube.

I think my last purchases are going to foil Caverns when they reprint them next and whatever's left in the sideboard. I thought about getting the original foil moms, but I like the new art and they were significantly cheaper as well. I got 2 invocation Containment Priests just to mess with people there :v:

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

I thought about getting them but ugh that frame and font and everything else about them too.

I bet they cost less than Japanese Containment Priests, at least. Not that anyone in the world has them for sale anyway.

Yeah, I got them just to make people miserable honestly, I'm not a fan of the frame nor the font, but I feel like my opponent's dissatisfaction with them will boaster my spirits. This is also why I run 9 different plains.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

EvilBeard posted:

Your mismatched basics have me tilted.

Bam, my record is already 1-0

EvilBeard posted:

It's ok, I'll just ghost quarter the ones I don't like.

Good thing I run a ton of basic lands.... different art basic lands :smuggo:

Edit: What are ya'll playing for Legacy this weekend?

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 5, 2018

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Yeah that's just air trapped in when you double sleeve, i usually press down on my cards a bit with my hand or a heavy book. Also yeah the copper color is one of the originals. They're not matted and are super slick, but they have a tendency to attract dust and black crud as you use them. They're still durable as hell though.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

yo who is all in Seattle? my wife, for SOME REASON, would rather hang out with her friends instead of watch me play Magic: the Gathering for 10 hours

:sever:

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

AkumaHokoru posted:

not as bling as mine my rear end mine is modern sisters. automatically less bling also my list is the super budget list. the list uses some red shocks norin the wary gets bolts in the sideboard some boros charms and some other nasty red things (purphoros, some blood moon maybe in exchange for squadron hawk leonin pridemate and Rangers)

every card in norinsisters/soulsisters enables the main engine you can get away with less than 4 norin. there's plenty of sisters decks that try to have a mid/late plan squee works in any of those.

I was talking about Steven's D&T deck a few pages back haha. His deck is pretty bling, it has foreign foils in original art :o

Wow purphoros, that didn't even pop into my mind, sounds pretty good.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Borachon posted:

Discard Faeries

This is the list I'm running that I 3-0 and 4-0 2 of my store's weekly modern tournies

Deck: Jace is a Faerie

//Main
2 Creeping Tar Pit
4 Darkslick Shores
2 Field of Ruin
4 Island
4 Mutavault
4 Polluted Delta
1 Sunken Ruins
2 Swamp
2 Watery Grave

//Creatures
2 Mistbind Clique
2 Snapcaster Mage
4 Spellstutter Sprite
2 Vendilion Clique

//Enchantments
4 Bitterblossom

//Planeswalkers
3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

//Instants
3 Cryptic Command
4 Fatal Push
1 Go for the Throat
1 Mana Leak
1 Remand

//Sorceries
4 Ancestral Vision
2 Collective Brutality
2 Thoughtseize

//Sideboard
1 Collective Brutality
2 Countersquall
2 Damnation
1 Disdainful Stroke
1 Engineered Explosives
2 Gifted Aetherborn
1 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
2 Liliana, the Last Hope
1 Mistbind Clique
1 Nihil Spellbomb
1 Relic of Progenitus

Display deck statistics

I currently took out Relic and 1 Damnation to try 2 Ceremonious Rejection because the Tron match up is always terrible and the Affinity match up could better.
This week I went 2-1 vs Humans, 2-0 vs BW Planeswalkers (the guy managed to get Liliana, the Last Hope emblem out, but 3x Cryptic Command and 3x Bitterblossoms are pretty good :v:), and 2-0 vs Jund, Ancestral Visions vs Jund feels so good vs Jund lol.

Also this is from the 5 packs that I won :smaug:

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Star Man posted:

lol you open prize packs

Gotta get my pack gambling some how! *scratches self nervously*

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Yup, but I do think cryptonerds are accelerating it. One finance-themed discord I sometimes lurk for no good reason has a dedicated crypto channel.

Great way to launder/convert money from butts coins.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Tim Raines IRL posted:

If I'd held on to my butts I could be playing vintage with no mortgage. Sadly, I needed a new alternator for my car when I was broke and working for a nonprofit, such is life.

Never regret selling your butts coins. You got really value from it, which is saying a lot considering the state of affairs now.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Counterpoint; the old art is great and the artist is like a sweet old grandma.

Also dat mud border :discourse:

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

CompeAnansi posted:

I just bought into Gx tron and then remembered afterwards that they are printing that sideboard hate card in the next set. Hopefully it doesn't change much. :downsgun:

Just bring more Nature's Claims and laugh all the way to the T3 Karn bank

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

They very much do not care about this.

On the other hand, if Legacy events do drop in attendance significantly, they'll drop the format like a hot potato.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Hmmm looks legit, but to double check, please send it to me. I am a very good grader and verifier of cards. Just send it to my PO BOX and...

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

it's for turning your kitchen finks into a stormbreath dragon after you take out all of the white cards and put in cool red cards like blood moon and stone rain

Amen brother.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

myDad posted:

Some esper pile got an early JvP emblem down (when you cast a spell mill target player 5) against lands. It was neck-and-neck, and when the lands player finally turns the corner they’ve got 13 cards left in the library, ending their turn strip mining esper’s last land and plopping down a Dark Depths. The esper player rips a Gitaxian Probe and Mental Missteps their own Probe twice for the mill win!

Magic as Dr. Richard Garfield intended.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Better yet R8 or a GTR

My faeries deck is the longest deck that I kept sleeved and updated, it's been that way since Lorwyn standard. The other two decks that aren't as long but have been there since I started playing modern are my Dredge deck and D&T.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

Jace_the_Mind_Sculptor.txt

Hey! He's won me a few games.... Other times he's a 4cmc gain 3 life, and Brainstorm.

Edit: Are we still waiting on someone to break Jace in modern or is everyone accepting that he's ok unless they print some kind of insane enabler for him. Or allow FOW in modern. Like right now, Teferi looks a lot better than Jace.

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 24, 2018

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Efro is wrong and talking out of his rear end again, got it.

Yeah that's what I figured the reason was, when most of the top decks won't let you live to turn 4 or just don't care about the Jace when they kill you.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Mezzanon posted:

Playing bogles in a (serial numbers filed off) GPT tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Goon speed and good luck#

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

little munchkin posted:

anyone in here play mardu pyromancer? i'm in the process of picking it up.

Got any tips and tricks that might not be obvious to a new pilot? Also how do you beat tron?

Faithless Looting is one of the best cards in your deck. Don't be afraid to cast/flash back that for your turn if nothing else is happening on their side.

Have a good clock and uhhh pray you draw your SB cards in game 2.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Super fun though, I've been loving having 1 Hazoret in the main. She's so good vs a lot of decks

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

Double-post to say that my LGS added Legacy night to its rotation of Friday events a while back, but I just learned that it is :siren:full proxy:siren: Legacy and now I feel obligated to put something together. If money is no object, which Legacy deck strikes the best balance between "doesn't take a ton of practice to learn" and "leads to fun and interesting games"?

Belcher :getin:

Comedy option: High Tide

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

the time of UB Death's Shadow is at hand

:getin:

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Skyl3lazer posted:

They're set to show betas in the previews.

Also updated the image I was missing the most important sideboard card

:discourse:

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
For all my modern faerie brethren, what lists are you guys running?

This was my list that I took my LGS weekly modern event a few times. I'm planning to add like 2 archmage charm and force of negation in there, while cutting the 2 CMC creature removal, and 1 Jace and maybe the Mana Leak, still need to work it out. Probably swapping the 2 Counter squall to Force of Negation as well in the SB

https://deckstats.net/decks/21329/922075-jace-is-a-faerie/en

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Sampatrick posted:

https://deckstats.net/decks/3043/916798-ubg-faeries/en

mana is garbo, cards are great. there's probably a potentially better version that cuts mistbind and cryptic for opts and maxes out on infiltrators but i would rather die than cut cryptic from faeries.

wotc forgot to put the faerie typeline on all the new faeries idk why they keep doing that.

Oh man if Ingenious Infiltrator was a faerie ninja, that would so loving good >_<