Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
can't get a game as killer and everyone is the inivisibell

God I hope this uses steamworks instead of darksouls

Ok, had first game as killer and got two of those drat runners.

Edit: has anyone gotten the daily reward yet? cause I totally sacced two dudes and didn;t get it yet

Grognan fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jun 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Trapping hook escape routes is wonderful.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Man, I can't get away as survivor. Seems like I'm the only one going for generators.

edit: yeah, pro survivor meta is to hide in murder basement and run out when you're the only one alive

Grognan fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 17, 2016

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone won as a survivor yet? Where the gently caress is the hatch on levels?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The amount of fuckers that just suicide when they get hooked is amazing.

Edit: When someone shows up to help they will blow up the gen and then run to the basement because of their shame.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 17, 2016

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Nebiros posted:

A touch late, but I snagged Sloppy Butcher and it's kind of nice too. It makes the blood splotches more common if you've already maimed someone. Makes dark as hell map a bit easier when they're weaving through the ruins and I lose track of which way the scratches were going, but the blood's easy.

I haven't gotten much use out of the Hillbilly's chainsaw yet as an actual weapon outside of rushing panicked players down, but it is a surprisingly effective way of making people break cover and run off if I think they're near by and start revving it repeatedly. I really hope that's a way to get bonus points.

Is there a Steam group for this yet for when they supposedly throw in non-lovely group making?

dunno, I mostly see shitlords trying to synchdrop to win effortlessly.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I completed my first hunter complete win match, man they have to be dumb out there. No one rescued or repaired gens worth a drat.

Edit: the killer will go around obvious traps. Lockers will not save you, because he can hear you breathing.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
lol nope, not gonna be killer if you are all rank 10 synchdropping

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Paradigmata posted:

Won yesterday the most lucky game as survivor I had so far.

Fast forward I was the last survivor alive, got grabbed and hooked. Since the game was over I didnt wanted to waste time and just kill myself faster by trying to get off the hook. The thing is, this was the first time ever I actually got of that drat hook and for whatever reason that ghost thingy monster run away couple seconds earlier. I managed to escape him once before I found a box which had a medpack in it, so I managed to patch myself up in a corner of a map right before he arrived and he couldnt hear me, another chase later that I got away, I found the hatch and GG. Survival chance probably under 2%. Most hilarious experience so far.

just did much the same, I dunno about no hatch though. I had to repair two more gens before the door would open. Where TF are the hatches.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

H2SO4 posted:

Man, this game is very unfun when you're the killer and there's a group of dickheads that just cheese windows and hang out on mumble/etc.

pretty much this

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

RubberBands Hurt posted:

Will the key work any time, or still only after 2 generators?

Also, in regards to the flashlight, the Wraith (I think) is generally more affected by it, and the Hillbilly less. But I think you have to hold it on their face for a bit to stun them either way.

Yeah, I don't have a good feel for stunning the killer yet.

Protip for runners, don't be running. poo poo is way easier to see and leaves a trail. If you can break LOS then just stop running and crouch. Most killers are counting on you to panic. I keep running if there are other teammates in the area repairing gens. Crouching is OP.

I am liking trapper though, no loving bells and you can set things up to your advantage.

How do you just kill survivors as the slasher? There's a daily ritual I still have because once they are dying, I cannot hurt them further without hooking. And then I managed to do it anyways hitting a wounded survivor trying to vault a pallet.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, is there a trainer out there to gently caress with netcode? Second game tonight where being survivor was literally like playing planetside one. Glitching every second shifting meters in every direction.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Bup posted:

Yes, that's a thing. I do understand why everyone does nothing but cry when they play this game. There's so many bugs, so much bm, so much bullshit. Killer is basically impossible to win against non-retards. LIke I said, I will catch you if you try to window-cheese me, but I'm doing it at the cost of all the generators. Against good players I usually have to be satisfied with the designated bait.

The official strategy is to give up after a few seconds and find somebody else but they're all going to do it so that strategy is really just to give up in general. I pick the one I hate the most and chase him till I get him, then I camp his hook. Hook-camping exists because it's the only way to guarantee at least one kill against semi-non-retarded survivors. Of course there's very few semi-non-retarded survivors, so I still usually win with at least three.

lol I get lots of games where I get 500 blood points because the killer knows where everyone is.

Edit: everyone else in this game had all ultra rare perks

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Stop running when you are trying to be stealthy, doubly so if you get caught and trail the killer into someone else trying to actually to fix a gen.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Does the flashlight actually do anything?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

H2SO4 posted:

Yep. It completely blinds the killer for 2-3 seconds, but you have to be dead on with it. If the killer's holding someone it'll force them to get dropped as well.

Dead on his head or just him? Because aiming the drat thing is a bad idea.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
12 chain stuns with pallets, gently caress that noise

H2SO4 posted:

This is 100% what I'm seeing people try and do, even if they don't get the stun they'll still stand there for a second and try to hit you.

Whenever someone wants to play games, I run away for a bit, then come back and break all the pallets they've dropped. Worked well so far since it forces them to at least scout out something else.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If they actually MMed all high ranks against each other it'd fix leet lords right up

just had a killer game where once I loaded in I couldn't move for five minutes.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jun 19, 2016

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Does bleed do anything besides leave a trail?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Goddamn, sabotage as a skill might need to be looked at. First game where they snookered all the hooks. I still got them all though. They got most of the hooks and still had five generators left. They kept loving up skill checks.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Two of them came in with tool boxes, they might have gotten lucky with drops but they nailed all the hooks when only one person had the skill. They might have done it because I was doing a drat good job of keeping them from the generators.

Hey they should make it that if you gently caress up a hook sabotage without kit, it grabs you.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 20, 2016

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

polka posted:

Does the chainsaw auto aim if a survivor is in touching range?

fuuuuck no

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Bup posted:

I have that, got it on a sale, but I only played it a couple minutes. It's got a long and weird devcycle and the game that it turned out to be isn't much like what I expected it to be. Maybe I need to play it some more to see how it goes but, sort of like this, I was expecting tense stealth excitement and got left 4 dead with sharks.

add me on steam, it was going the way of nosgoth though. (if you want to play it, most people would play diver coordinated groups)

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Oh I agree that you should lose rank if you contribute absolutely nothing. But if the killer can gain rank by just sacrificing one guy then I don't see why repairing one generator and then escaping shouldn't at least keep you at the rank you are currently at

Yeah, you can lose rank sacrificing three people. I only got 6000 points that game.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Ironically I have found it easier to add ranks as killer because asking for consistent teamwork is a mistake.

Edit: holy poo poo, an addon that boosts the trappers traps to dying

H2SO4 posted:

I had a match where I brought in a flashlight because why not. Found a chest, dropped my flashlight to receive... a flashlight.

So I curse the entity and decide to go full-tilt bonkers and go to the basement to check that chest. Drop my flashlight, search the chest...

Another. loving. Flashlight.

If you were allowed to self-hook I'd have done it.

You know you don't have to drop to search, the chest item stays there.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 21, 2016

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Roland Jones posted:

Got this game last night after having been recommended it and watching a few videos on it, been playing it a bit today. It's pretty fun, though I'm not good at it yet despite reading the thread and stuff for advice (though I'm getting better; I've had some pretty good escapes, in contrast to my first game where I was hiding, killer ran up, and I panicked and ran... Right into him, whereupon he turned around because he actually didn't see me and was running past prior to my idiocy). Have only played as survivor thus far, haven't tried a killer yet.

Killer is great for understanding how they see things. Also why you start to understand running is bad unless you can seriously sidetrack the fucker.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Deer stalker is useful when survivors are literally all rushing to unhook people. Just keep slashing at them and put them down, deer stalker is so you can find them all afterwards to made it permanent.

Also running into rank smurfs where they are lvl 1 rank 20 and they all have heal and sabotage.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Roland Jones posted:

Well, I just had an interesting survivor game, on this topic. Survivor on the field, and killer was the hillbilly. Early on he managed to see me, but I twisted and turned through the trees as much as possible then serpentined and doubled back through the cornfield and lost him, because he was trying to overutilize his chainsaw.

Later, he got the last survivor who wasn't me, and I happened to be close enough to see him put him on the hook as I was looking for an area I thought the hatch might be since we hadn't opened the exits. I tried to hide, but it turned out he saw me. My attempt to flee resulted in me finding a worse hiding spot than I thought and he knocked me down.... And then didn't pick me up, instead just following me around as I crawled. I stopped for a moment in some grass, hoping he'd dumbly lose sight of me, but he didn't. So I went back to crawling, and... I found the hatch. And despite being right on top of me, he didn't stop me. Agonizing and Backdoor escape achievements in one go.

I don't know if the killer knew the hatch was there and was being nice, didn't know about the hatch at all and was just screwing with me, or hosed up and failed to stop me getting out via the hatch (he swung while I jumped down into it but since I was downed already it did nothing). Still, I'm glad it happened.

I think he was being nice, the last survivor disappearing as soon as the third survivor is sacrificed is pretty much standard. People memorize the hatch locations.

Edit: Why would a survivor ever want to brighten the moon or lessen the mist with offerings?

Grognan fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 21, 2016

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Roland Jones posted:

Alright. I need to memorize hatch locations myself; I've only seen it a couple times prior to this (outside of videos I watched) and this is the first time I got out through it, hence the achievement. Practical knowledge and ability is one of my weaker areas in this; I know some of the important ideas but depending on the situation can't always put them into practice.

They are usually somewhere around the murder basement basically.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Bup posted:

Speaking of which, why does the hatch open when the gates are open? Why does the guy cheesing me around the long cabin get to escape for free because the hatch is right next to a window he's been juking in and out of forever?

And in the same line of questioning, because it's relevant, why is there a perk that specifically fucks the trapper over?

Its a generator thing. They have to get a minimum for the hatch to spawn. last person alive has the hatch unlocked. ergo, if they got more than 2-3 gens the hatch will be there and unlocked for the last person alive.

'cause trapper was in beta and they had a chance to mull over his poo poo. Traps are fuckin' nice when survivors blunder into them

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I've never seen a game that punishes altruism as hard as this one. Almost all killers camp their hooks anymore so trying to get a guy off is just a mess. -Especially- if he has the "heartbeat stops when standing still" perk.

I guess that's why my teammates never even try to save me, despite the fact that I've been distracting the killer for them for ages :smith:

expect at least a hit on you and you had better have had an escape plan. unhooking is such a lure that I mostly expect to come back in five seconds and get another down/hit.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

UberJew posted:

1) Look up. Generators have lamp poles that are tall enough to be seen above most cover/walls/cornfields. They'll blink occasionally. There are also set pieces that are guaranteed to have generators (the combines littered in the cornfield, the half-built foundation in the estate, inside the ironworks) or have a solid chance to have a generator (the shack will have a generator in it sometimes)

2) The safest way is to bring a toolbox (preferably with an add-on for sabotage efficiency and/or charges, so you can get more than 1) and sabotage hooks for 1k + skill checks points per. You can also play Jake if you want a playstyle where you ghost around the map and don't encounter the killer much but still want to make your 10k for pips, by using Saboteur. That said messing with the killer gets you a ridiculous amount of points; stunning him with a pallet and getting away will get you 1100 points or so in ten seconds if you can manage not to die. Also, don't forget to disarm the Trapper's traps when you can; not only are you saving yourself or a teammate from stumbling into them that gets you a small chunk of Boldness points as well.

Tips for killers. The lights blink like the cylinders move. If one is being worked on, it will blink more/faster.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Wow something just wiped all my rank and levels.

Edit: probably steam servers being down.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 22, 2016

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
the "heal faster than he can hit" build is starting to be irritating.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If you are killer and are getting any survivors that aren't lvl20+ jakes with tool boxes I salute you.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Indecisive posted:

Some good games tonight with the low levels, had one where I barely pulled it out vs a very scary chainsawman in the junkyard, getting the last generator right as the 3rd pubbie got sacrificed and limping out the exit just a few meters ahead of the killer. Another one I spent most of the match taking down a ton of hooks, to the point several times people got out of the killers grasp as he couldn't get them to the basement. He ended up getting me, a hero pubbie rescued me once but it was a map with very little cover and I ended up getting caught again, spectated the last pubbie and she was running around quite visibly panicking, hiding behind random objects with the killer nowhere in sight, then sprinting to something else, then she stumbled across the escape hatch and appeared unsure what it even was, but finally jumped in about one second before the killer ran up. After the match I see she didn't even have a perk yet, good job newbie.

I'm starting to fear the chainsawman the most tbh, if someone is good at him it is so hard to run from him and sometimes you just get surprise charged out of nowhere and have to run for your life. Trapper at least you can always hear coming and see the traps (mostly, they can be drat hard to notice in tall grass, and good luck if its on the other side of a ledge you want to jump over), and the wraith at least gives you a second or two notice while he comes out of stealth.. but the instant downs and insane speed are scary as gently caress.

I found some addons that make traps down people :getin:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Trapper's traps might not be the most effective thing in the world, especially when put under windows and pull-down things, but man is it satisfying to get someone in one. That snap is a beautiful sound.

I like seeding one or two randomly between generators in tall grass. They usually end up paying off.

UberJew posted:

I played for three hours tonight and ended at exactly rank 3 with 3 pips like i was when i started

life if rough when you don't alt+f4 to victory

trapper players are getting better faster than me and i fear if i don't get rank 1 this week i never will

There is no MM, you are not playing against other trappers. Just gimmicks from bad design.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Starting to get groups of rank 1 fuckers synchdropping.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Quote from forums mod (I assume works for the devs?) on my thread about people putting traps directly at the feet of the hooks, and suggesting they expand the "no hook" area so that you don't immediately land on the trap when you fall, which would encourage smart trapping rather than just sitting it right in front of the hook every single time.

So basically that cheap, boring trick is Working As Intended. I don't really know what kind of game the devs are trying to make, honestly. There's all these mechanics around helping your fellow survivors out, and yet they intentionally leave in dumb stuff like that which is anti-competitive.

Eh, unless the unhook supercedes the disarm I see no problem.

Ok, so you can disarm them under the hook. How the hell is killer supposed to end someone if they unhook and heal faster than you can hit them?

Grognan fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Wraith's first change would be to alter it so he doesn't get points from decloaking off a hooked guy, it seems every match I have against him sounds like Note Dame ringing out 120000 o'clock as he grinds up points.

Oh, that's why they do it. I should really try to get some wraith levels if they track that well.

• Locked thread