Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The game is balanced for normal unit sizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Conot posted:

Thats only really true for magic, AFAIK. All other units get a boost to relevant stats (unit size/unit health) as unit sizes change. So the game still remains "balanced" at Ultra as it is at Normal, other then in regards to magic, as previously noted.

Magic is an important part of the game, but it also effects environmental things like needing more/less units to defend walls, and cavalry charges get are far more dangerous when you can't field deep enough ranks.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Radious is pure garbage

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Wallet posted:

Yeah, I don't think this is actually happening in this game.

Oh ffs CA. Been denying myself cannons for no good tactical reason.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I've never had morale issues with dwarves that weren't caused by massive amounts of death, which longbeards wouldn't have really helped with.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
There's no way the calculation is as complex as they say.

And if it is they've wasted a lot of time making something complicated that spits out simple results.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Less settlements and bigger zones of control would go a long way to making the campaign map feel less like chasing someone around a table in a small room., and more like armies on the march.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Rome 2 had a bunch of cooldowns to press on every single unit and it was just great.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Wallet posted:

That's an option, assuming that you've already dealt with any cavalry or whatever that might annihilate them. Most of the maps dwarfs fight on have hills or mountains you can set up on so that they can shoot over your line much better, though.

Even then, shooting into the front of units isn't often the best idea. Flanking almost always gets better results.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Wallet posted:

Depends. Dwarfs have awful mobility, so if you're in a safe enough position to try and flank with your ranged units you've almost certainly won the battle anyway.

The AI tends to attack both flanks evenly, so I focus on breaking one and then enveloping the front lines from that side.

I wouldn't say the battle is won by that point, especially if the orcs still have boar chariots moving about.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
No reason for Athel Loren to be a big contested map really. It's a secure home province/region for the wood elves, even if it is pretty weird.

The big question is how they plan on having them interact with the main map.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kitchner posted:

I suspect the first DLC will be Brettonia, Beastmen, and Wood Elf campaigns.

Really? Be careful out on that limb there, Nostradamus.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jack2142 posted:

I would really love to see Total War flesh out Estalia, Tilea and Border Princes and Kislev since they don't really have too much fluff for them, but gently caress it Warhammer Fantasy doesn't exist anymore so they can pretty much go crazy.

They don't have much fluff because they're boring and extremely similar to other human factions in a land of crazy nonsense. Complete waste of time to develop them beyond a palette swap when there are still interesting factions to add.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Bear cavalry have never been an official warhammer fantasy unit. I think a hero had a bear mount, maybe. But never whole units.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Archonex posted:

It's a fan made one to fill out the army roster going off of the fluff. But that's because Games Workshop has issues and basically dumped what little support they had for the other human nations years ago.

Hell, if you guys want to talk about poo poo that's probably never getting in then look at Cathay. A place that was basically "dark fantasy China" and had a huge rivalry with all sorts of other one-off nations in its area and had an entirely different relationship with Chaos due to how it manifested there. Which was totally a plot point that was never picked up on because holy gently caress GW is stupid at adding depth to their settings.

That stuff was dropped because it was all horribly racist nonsense, and the only people who liked it ended up much happier buying into historical games.

Dropping Fantasy Italy/Spain/Russia/China/loving "Nippon" is a good thing.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Wafflecopper posted:

That doesn't mean CA couldn't put it in anyway. I mean, they do want their DLC to sell and I can't think of a better way to sell (theoretical) Kislev DLC than giving them bear cavalry.

Yeah, they could do a lot of work trying to flesh out a faction that has only minor cosmetic differences from an established faction that is already in the game. Bears... fur coats... ice magic... uh...

Or they could focus on the dozen distinct and popular factions that aren't in the game yet.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Archonex posted:

As opposed to "fantasy europe/HRE", "fantasy russia", and "fantasy Italy"? The latter of which has an in setting perception of being treacherous bastards?

Like, uh, dude. I hate to break it to you but Games Workshop doesn't have much of a habit of not doing things because they might offend someone. :stare:

If you want to pretend that GW stopped developing them because they're evil or something that's up to you. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
All the human nations were and are garbage apart from the over-the-top Arthurian legends faction and at a push the general purpose humans faction. I'm glad they're dead and GW spent time and money developing outlandish creature factions with distinct abilities and playstyles.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Wafflecopper posted:

I didn't say they were going to add Kislev soon or at all, nor was I suggesting they should do so. That's why I used the word "theoretical". Nice strawmanning though.

I didn't say you did. No need to be so defensive. We're both examining "theories".

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

terrorist ambulance posted:

I'd really hoped that this bullshit fluff chat about stuff that isn't and may never be in the game was over now that the game was released but it turns out warhammer grogs' capacity for arguing about whether bear cavalry was ever a "real thing" in the "canon" was never ending

See also: I have some real important opinions about "sigmarines" which has the following to do about this total war fantasy game:

You're mad because a thread about a game that uses an established IP includes discussion of said IP?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Reik posted:

How hard would it be to create a mod that didn't allow armies to enter forced march the same turn they attack and made it so armies in forced march do not deny the area around them for enemy army movement?

Harder than the common anti-forced march mods, which simply set the bonus it grants to 0%.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Chomp8645 posted:

Not even once have I seen a single argument about it on this board. It's always just people agreeing.

I will argue that it's good because the game was bad and GW are saving people lots of money.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Tying recruitment to buildings isn't fun and causes a lot of problems for player and ai alike.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

It's the best selling game in the TW series, and the general opinion in this thread is that it's by far the best single player.

Not by far.

Not at all.

Maybe in a year or two.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Deified Data posted:

I like the feeling of missing out on certain building chains/techs/units/LL builds on any given playthroughs because it means that if I really like a faction I can just start another campaign for an almost entirely different experience. I like the progression of starting with chaff and slowly upgrading your armies. That feeling of progress is the entire reason I play campaigns like TW:W's.

That almost entirely different experience of playing 70% of a campaign with the same limited selection of units.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Corrode posted:

I feel kinda bad for them because one thing they've always done well is investing really heavily in plastic molds and the like and they've led the industry in it. Then along comes 3D printing and it turns out that poo poo is no big deal any more.

Is 3d printing really as cost-effective as nerds online all seem to believe?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Mass manufacturing is always going to be cheaper and/or higher quality.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Are you seriously telling me that they still haven't released Wood Elves?

Sure glad I haven't spent any more money on this dying old game.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
About loving time.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Megasabin posted:

This game is so much more interesting than any of the previous entries I'm not sure how they can ever go back now. That's not even a knock against their previous games, it's just they did such a fantastic job with the Warhammer license. Also they have enough content to keep this going for years.

Disagree.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Warhammer feels half baked and boring to me.

I put 10x as many hours into Rome 2.

Returning to historicals won't feel like a step back, Warhammer hasn't done anything remarkable.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Double Bill posted:

I'd call having 6 completely distinct and unique factions with no overlap in units, buildings or visuals pretty remarkable

The post I was responding to:

Megasabin posted:

This game is so much more interesting than any of the previous entries I'm not sure how they can ever go back now. That's not even a knock against their previous games, it's just they did such a fantastic job with the Warhammer license. Also they have enough content to keep this going for years.

There's nothing stopping them creating the same amount of variety in a non-Warhammer setting. They have pushed the formula forward with this game, but it's not a complete paradigm shift by any stretch of the imagination.

Moving on from Warhammer won't be a big stumbling block.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Double Bill posted:

The replayability value of TW: Warhammer is insane compared to other TWs since every faction is a unique experience in almost every gameplay aspect.

My personal experience of this has been the opposite. As I said, I've spent 10x as long playing minor variations of pikes & cavalry charge Greek-ish factions with different starting positions in Rome 2.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Hernia The Hunter posted:

Sounds like you don't like new things. I couldn't play Rome 2 at all because it just turned into infantry blobs.

If any one of the factions' playstyles had clicked with me maybe I would have enjoyed this game more to date. Hopefully Welves scratch that itch (weak line troops so probably not).

Or maybe the lack of different starting positions would have then be even more disappointing? Making 4/5/6 completely different experiences is not always better than a couple dozen slightly different ones.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Guns are for cowards.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I don't pay $20 for pizza.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I would have bought this dlc immediately if they were using the old look eternal guard.

The High Elf-style design sucks by comparison.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

dtkozl posted:

Kinda wish they released with 3 LL, specifically Ariel. Would have been a nice place to put in a woman LL.

Any non-monstrous LL would've been nice.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Gonkish posted:

If the Waywatchers don't constantly deride everyone as "lumberfoots" I will riot. After I murder them all.

I don't know this meme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mordja posted:

Malazan: Total War.

There is no possible way to balance that.

• Locked thread