Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Zephro posted:

They're a good first-choice playthrough, I think. Just remember to rush Mount Gunbad.

I'm not even sure how good this idea is. If you take both settlements Zhufbar looks rather shaky against the vamps. In my game I had to confederate them just a few turns later because it looked unlikely that they would hold out long against the VC. Also marching a big stack north early tends to invite a raiding visit from Ironhide that can seriously damage your growth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

So does reaching the chapter goals speed up the chaos invasion? That could be a downside of Marienburg academy.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Build walls everywhere. Play sieges manually. After the initial rush you usually will face one stack at a time. Because they vastly overestimate their chances and will get murdered by your garrisons at the same rate as they ship over.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Does anyone know if Vassals lose the base funding? Because I'm finishing up a Dwarve (hard) campaign and I've been having significantly less fun than in my empire one. I don't think I want to build such a sprawling empire again if I can help it. I'll never understand people using the conquer anywhere mod.

I had to confederate Zhufur because the VCs were eating them for lunch and Karak Kadrin because I wanted to unlock Ungrim. The Orcs can move through mountains so can appear anywhere sort of forcing me to keep expanding at a rapid pace. Now I'm running six to seven full stacks up and down the map trying to finally put an end to the Greenskins and VCs while Chaos makes a detour and razes the one settlement I built no walls in. And that one goblin has now so many levels that I have no real hope of ever killing it. I'm also kicking myself for skimping on public order buildings. I thought since I have walls everywhere I could just have one stack leisurely walking the length of my empire and putting down all the rebel stacks. Didn't understand how grudges work. And chaos corruption is also more of an issue.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Wallet posted:

Base funding from being AI? I don't think so. I agree with you, though, I really don't want to have more than five or six provinces if I can help it, but it's impossible in the base-game to vassalize anyone via diplomacy as far as I can tell.

No I meant the same you also get. I think its 2500 on hard.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

peer posted:

You seem to be using words like "need" and "have to be" when what you actually mean is "it would be cool if". We're not gonna get three full factions at once as DLC.

I suppose that's what the expansions are for?

What I'm not particularly eager for is official support for minor factions as a possible campaign, start mostly because I'd like CA to focus on making the major factions more eventfull. I would appreciate some extra units to make them distinct though. Possible with a merc DLC.
What I'm more interested in would be more campaign features. As it stands we still have a paint the map game with one quest battle unlocked after the first province, then a few others that unlock items but are very weakly integrated in the campaign, a sort of quest to unlock the second LL and then a chaos invasion in two stages.

What I'd like added here are a few more events on the campaign level that demand your attention. I'm thinking for example of something like the dug too deep event for the dwarves. Except instead of just getting a temporary debuff on one province you get a permanent one that only goes away once you fight a quest battle. Another one would be some call to help from some Empire faction that gives affinity bonus on completion. You could also add some time limit to some of those. That's also where I would go to give the player access to some of the minor units if they don't want to implement a merc system for them. Complete a quest, get a unit of bear cavalry. I refuse to accept the possibility that bear cavalry isn't a thing.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Don't see how that works. If you have two defensive allies then the only thing they can force you to do is break one of them.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Maybe just add a flat +1 turn? As is you don't use it in early game because you can just walk back and don't have the money. And you definitely don't use it in late game because I don't see any opportunities you can just have a wounded halfstack sit around at your border/ in enemy territory for six turns. Unless you have won already anyway.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Tehan posted:

Is there a good way to do early sieges without artillery or elites as the Empire? It always seems to boil down to throwing swordsmen at swordsmen at hoping. Short of hoping for a light wizard from the first scripted battle I don't know how better to play it.

I found that just sending the swords up ladders and having crossbows standing below actually works reasonable well? (hard campaign)

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I don't get it. You can produce all units in Reikland. You just need a second province for warrior priests.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

You still can make everything.if you move your main shrine of Sigmar somewhere else (Middenland is best).

Except cavalry and Warriorpriests in Middenland the local recruiting bonuses are so minor that they are not worth the inconvenience involved in getting them.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jun 18, 2016

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Sekenr posted:

Questions to chaos players:
Is it possible to recruit the bird guy? He seems pretty cool
Are sorcerer heroes even worth it as part of an army compared to exalted heroes? If yes, what kind.

Aren't sorcerers the unit with the block army skill?

What lore does the chicken use? I never watched him going to work.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

So are nerfed Demigryphs still murder machines?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Fangz posted:

EDIT: I don't know why people are getting all those Harsh traits for lords. Checked through my roster on my lategame Empire campaign and literally none of my lords have it.

I think executing captives does this.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Wait that might be it. I never saw unjust on my lords in my empire campaign, but everyone got it in the dwarf one. In the latter I mostly ignored public order since the tunneling orcs forced me to build walls everywhere anyway and if the rebels can't take settlements they are just xp pinatas. Negative public order snowballs.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I think most of the problem with the dwarfs is that the game offers shiny prices for expansion north (Gunbad, Ungrim) while your main enemy is to the south. In the end you have a million fronts and a terrible logistic situation with the mountains splitting your realm.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Frankly I'd prefer auto resolve to be disabled by default except for one sided massacres. Sure it's more tedious but but the strategic layer alone is a pretty sucky game and auto resolve leads to me clicking to victory when I really should just stop and do something else.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Verranicus posted:

Yes, let's disable a feature because you can't resist clicking the button.

I'm glad you agree.
But seriously there is a problem when often the optimal strategy is to not play the game.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Have you tried ending the turn? Fixed something like it for me.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

fnordcircle posted:

Or at the very least making it a player-only option. I mean it'd be really cool if the AI could handle it so that the races who normally get their poo poo pushed in by WoC/Varg/Skaeling spam have more of a fighting chance, but for now a mod that just gave that option to the player would be rad.

Just limit it to minor settlements in provinces where they own the capital. Can't see a lot going wrong with this.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I'm a bit concerned that you can use the RoR in multiplayer. Doesn't that risk introducing a pay to win element?

Overall I'm exited for the possibility. I hope recruiting them in the campaign isn't simply locked by Lord XP like they imply in the text. I'd like the unlock condition to be owning or getting a trade deal with the owner of the province they are from mostly.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

What's the thing she is riding? A wyrm? I thought the only imperial dragon was in the zoo?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

If you buy everything new you'll easily pay 2 - 3 times that much.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

As long as the unit as a whole has the enemy in its firing arc and the soldier in question has direct line of sight to the target, they can shoot. They abstracted a lot of mechanics for TWW, and I can dig it.

I miss drawing up battle lines and firing by rank......

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Anything new and exciting about the new knights chapter? Are they really going to do all of them?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lassitude posted:

The good news is skaven stuff is almost certainly not going to randomly explode and kill your units in this game. Random death stuff is only good for tabletop.

Disagree. It is one thing to not have your single wizard explode and quite something else to not have your large pack of rats take some losses by random explosion. What would even be the point of having them?

I'd say there is no real problem with having ranged combat be essentially a damage race against yourself. Just give them a very high base replenishment rate.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

So how do you actually play Chaos on the tactical map? I guess drawing a line of Chosen and attack moving across the map works. Doesn't feel all that satisfying though.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Someone explain general auras to me.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Captain Beans posted:

Any characters (lords or heroes) with the 'Encourage' ability will give a boost to leadership to all friendly units within their aura.

So default it really is just the ld buff?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Gay Horney posted:

40k wouldn't really work in this engine.

Yeah. Add to that that CA seems rather conservative in its design philosophy. Every game is an iteration of the last, very few big jumps. I really don't expect them to try something completely new. And why would you even want them to?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

ZearothK posted:

On the other hand, they did make Alien: Isolation, so they have talent for more than iterative development through Total War games.

I stand corrected and now support CA doing new things.

Lunethex posted:

I also hope the diplomacy with the Skaven is people giving them Warpstone and being like "I loving hate you but I also loving hate the Dwarfs so I'll give you this if you go and wreck their poo poo now :frogout:" and use them as a way to attack your enemies before you do.

Also taking Skavenblight should be owned by the Council and taking it should trigger realm divide.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 28, 2016

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

folytopo posted:

My friend got the game and tried chaos and found it pretty bland. What is the problem with them? Infantry blobs not fun?

You know how the answer to every question about how to play correctly is "use ambush stance"? They don't have it.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Bah, all this Bretonia talk makes me want to start up a campaign but I don't want to play without the DLC and the sunk-cost fallacy is how my brain works. Any chance that of a sale around Brettonia's release so I can trick myself into thinking not buying them at release was worth it?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

All the stuff is added to the game, you just can't play it yourself without DLC. So like a Empire Campaign, you still fight beastmen and elves.

John Charity Spring posted:

Bretonnia is going to be added for free at the end of the month, no extra cost if you own the game.

I know, I know but weirdly the Bretonia talk doesn't make me want to play Bretonia specifically.

By the way: Has there been any indication that CA want to make another pass over the initial factions? in terms of major mechanic changes?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

He starts with two vampires. That's hardly crippled.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Is there any named Wissenland dude? Everyone is talking about Boris as an alternative start but an empire faction that doubles down on artillery might also be fun.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Fangz posted:

Also -10% construction cost is pretty great actually. Walk your guy across the border for that big purchase of buildings and save 1500 gold? Yes please. Especially if you stack them with other building discounts. Combine the architecture tech, castellan engineer, a prime mover wizard, and boom, you're getting all your buildings at 40% off. More if you have some good retinue. Suddenly you are building up your provinces at *double the rate* you'd be doing otherwise. If you don't see how this is a big loving deal then, erm...

I don't quite trust that math. A Lord that can just wander about from one town to the next is a Lord that is not really needed. At the point you save 1500 Gold per turn from 10% building costs an additional Lord might cost that amount in additional upkeep.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

There is just no case for taking Chaos over Beastmen. Chaos feels just unfinished.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

albany academy posted:

quick question about invocation of nehek - how come i can use it on vlad like 3 times but then it starts saying "invalid target" ? dude didn't change allegiances. is there some sort of background mechanism to keep it from being spammed or is it a bug?

There is some upper limit for health regen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I'd vote for a diplo bonus with empire factions instead. It's super weird that being de jure ruler of all those human poo poo heads does nothing in the diplo screen.

• Locked thread