Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Triskelli posted:

Yeah, Skavenslaves should only be useful as extra bodies on the battlefield, I'm not sure if they should even be able to do damage. I do think whatever leadership penalty they give for routing should be much smaller than average.

I still think that being able to commissar them is a vital gameplay mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

Isn't a new fluff thing that they're the souls of mighty heroes forged into the armor suits?

Somehow the Thousand Sons manage to be cool as hell with that gimmick.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

ClassicFascist posted:

Those guys are the worst.

Pro post/username combo right here.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

Yeah, but they have actual backstory and pathos and poo poo. Them being condemned to being souls trapped in their armor is treated tragically and it works. The Sigmarines are all super buff dudes in golden armor regardless of their origin that respawn when they die and are looked at as heroes and the best dudes ever that can beat up anything. They're really loving dumb.

Yeah, the point I was making was more that they'd done it successfully before and still screwed it up.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

here's an intervention: don't

at least when you buy dlc for warhammer you only have to buy it one time, instead of having to buy a newer tank/bote in 6 months when they add better ones

That's literally the same model as having to buy the new hotness campaign DLC. Both the premium metal box and the campaign eventually get old.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

beastmen will never be replaced by beastmen 2.0: beastmen but better, tho. i mostly play multiplayer.

Premium tanks generally don't get replaced by that, if anything, there's a few metal boxes from partway through the games' lifespans that everyone acknowledges aren't going to get outdone.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Free company militia are so ridiculously good in the early game as Empire.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I dont know posted:

There is a separate inventory for dota 2 items compared to you're regular steam items (like cards). Make sure you're in the right inventory, if not there should be a tab towards the top that says DOTA.

Thanks, that helped. gently caress their useless lovely verifier app with no loving way around not having it other than eating a long-rear end hold though.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Sigmar's Sons also own because they're unbreakable.

The reiksguard with vanguard deployment are pretty boss too

Sigmar's Sons are always on one of my siege towers.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Tiler Kiwi posted:

eh, you can go too far with the cheating to where its just stupid and lazy, like with that one Warhammer Total War mod for Medieval 2 that just spawned AI stacks endlessly without any sort of consideration of anything. then again, most well regarded strategy games do stuff like that on some level; in things like Advance War, Fire Emblem, and the like, the AI is intentionally pretty fuckin dull but is given an overwhelming advantage. It lets players feel really clever to beat up a superior force lead by a dipshit. Civilization AI ends up like that on higher levels as well. Where TW and Civ break down is due to how limited these advantages are; once you get past the big hump of difficulty, the game becomes increasingly easier and forgiving, even on high difficulty.

Realm Divide was pretty good in solving that issue, but yet again players complained. Players also complain when the game is easy, tho. Players complain when their ability to grow bigger and stronger is limited in any way. Players also complain when they lose from their own fault, and then savescum, and complain about what happens when they savescum or if the game is made harder to compensate for savescumming. Players themselves are scum and then greatest enemy to any developer.

There's another approach that can be cool, which is the galactic civilizations 2 approach of designing the game from the outset to be playable by AI. The result is a more constrained game, but if you turn up the CPU time setting all the way the computer's drat good at it. Problem is that leads to a really constrained design and requires the designers and ai programmers be able to communicate or better yet be the same person.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Realm divide is the same as the chaos invasion in that it's a midgame spike in difficulty to keep things challenging for a player who can win any 1v1. What chaos does right that divide doesn't is a matter of foreshadowing and feel. Chaos is telegraphed by messages and a ramp in what it sends at you, realm divide is abrupt and changes the behavior of everyone around you in a way that you don't really see coming. Players really need to be spoonfed and hate change.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

RentACop posted:

Chaos invasion also effects everyone, whereas realm divide only ever hit the player even if there were larger and more powerful AI nations at the time.

Fall of the Samurais realm divide had everyone declare allegiance to one of the two sides, creating two big roughly equal alliances that fought until endgame. It was a lot more popular and you could also choose to go republican if you wanted that 'me against the world' feel

That's another really good point. Gamers in general really dislike gently caress you in particular mechanics even if they're blatantly ahead and need some sort of combined opposition.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Krazyface posted:

Didn't that basically happen with orks and nids in 40k?

The Kryptmann gambit is that, yeah, but it likely means super nids in the long run.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

fnordcircle posted:

Ah bummer, the tw forums mods sanitized a thread about the spear chukka not being out yet just as the moaning about political correctness was hitting its stride.

Didn't the racists notice that's already in the lord name pool?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

wiegieman posted:

Feedstock (plastic filament) is $10 or less per kilogram. If you're talking, like, metal sintering stock or something that's another story.

How is the quality? Is it good, good but only if you buy a real expensive machine for it, or not great?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Pendent posted:

Unless you buy a really expensive printer the miniature is going to look like absolute dogshit.

Now the other question is do you mean expensive on a personal scale or expensive on a sit it in the back of a franchise scale?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I thought I liked dwarves because of this. Then I realized they're this big a bunch of assholes to everyone.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Someone took the other.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

They really should do the high middle ages into the early modern, just because a tercio done in total war would be the coolest drat thing.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Periphery posted:

Total War: Warhammer 40,000

It should be Wargame: 40k if there's any justice in this world.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Randarkman posted:

Pike and shot tactics didn't really use mixed formations in the sense that you had pikemen in one rank and arquebusiers in another. Actually it functioned somewhat closer to the detachment system of the Empire in the tabletop game.

Depending on the formation/time, you could get that from a tercio where the arquebusiers are sheltering in the pike square.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

It's less stable, and it's a social construct from a context totally unlike anything that would make sense for wood elves.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Elves themselves are impractical.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

ditty bout my clitty posted:

I'm sorry that you feel obligated to point out everything that doesn't conform to your values completely. People like you are why Trump won.

Trigger warnings for you from here on out on all criticism, gotcha.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

ditty bout my clitty posted:

I love this self-righteous mix of hurt feelings and misplaced anger. You made trump win. You personally.

So when're your parents taking the padding off the doorknobs? You're the one ranting about suicide over people criticising an animation.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

theDOWmustflow posted:

Why would one pick Wildwood Rangers over Asrai Spears? They seem to fill the same niche but the former are way more expensive and lack the innate 20% physical resistance the latter have. Is that a bug?

I notice that my Rangers tend to get more kills but they're usually extremely well supported.

There was an effortpost a bit back that they do considerably better against heavy infantry.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Rygar201 posted:

They make big cheap SSDs now guys.

Games are pretty big too, and I don't think my 2 TB of SSD space is normal. I've filled up 1 TB pretty casually once I started paying less attention to which drive games went onto.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Aurubin posted:

Vermintide was on sale, and I decided to give it a go before I burned out on the RTS. All it did was make me want Skaven in the game more badly.

This is a really good decision fyi.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Danann posted:

It'll probably end in 5pt PDF guardsmen massacring Chaos Space Marines in a city block kind of deal though.

On the other hand I kinda want to see what a rhino rush would look like.

There was a bug with teukjeonsa in early RD where they had 10 wounds but five dudes, so they could do that or maybe give SMs AV1 and make them tough as hell. Plus militia suck for firepower, I'd be just as worried about space marines being the return of original fallschirmjaeger 90 and murdering everything they meet.

Rhino rush would be most like original VAB rushing back in EE probably.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Fangz posted:

I kinda like the idea of CA W40k game mainly because it'll be our only real chance of seeing Titans on the battlefield.

Wargame is already basically at epic scale though.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Fangz posted:

If it was Wargame most of what you see of a Titan would just be a rectangle with 'Titan' written on it.

Nahh, they're big enough you'd see them pretty well. You can see tanks okay and ships really well in stock Wargame (although the animations would probably be mediocre).

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

The most important thing to note, however, is that the Orks, once again lumped in with Chaos, rebelled against GW's intentions, and started attacking absolutely everybody in a "Green Kroosade" that caused a ridiculous amount of damage to anyone not playing Orks.

It's even funnier because Ork ships in BFG just aren't actually very good.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Rygar201 posted:

The stupid thing about that is that the Orks or Tyranids are way more likely to wipe out Chaos than the Imperium could ever hope.

40K's fixation on Chaos is ever dumber than Fantasy's IMO

That's not necessarily dumb. Sure the Orks or Nids could wipe out Chaos, but for some odd reason the Imperium is actually interested in not getting wiped out too. Chaos is tied to humanity and they're getting dragged along for the ride.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

There's a bizzare notion that somehow a game is a standardized quantity. Therefore, if you can add to a game, it must have been less than a full game.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Why is the site for that contest so resoundingly awful? I can't log in.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Davincie posted:

so warhammer won make war not love again and we won.... dawn of war dlc and alien soldier

I think the idea is that you're likely to have the dlc for the game you chose.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

genericnick posted:

You know how the answer to every question about how to play correctly is "use ambush stance"? They don't have it.

The movement mechanics are super frustrating in general because they're both punitive and designed so that the AI can almost always avoid it so they exist only to punish mistakes by players.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

4th Horseman posted:

Danger thread, danger. It's the old practicality vs fantasy argument rearing it's head again.

Got a link for that mod btw?

Honestly it'd be super cool if Lahmians were set up as debuff casters rather than a unit of sword infantry.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

AngryBooch posted:

You can't confederate major powers. Or did that change?

In my dwarf game I couldn't confederate Angrund.

I confederated Orion as Durthu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

wiegieman posted:

Isabella can buy Vlad for free on turn 2 and he still gets his +xp skill, and she gets their unique hero building in Drakenhof, so she's literally the best lord ever.

Is it better to start with her than with him?

• Locked thread