Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Panfilo posted:

Just had the Battle of Gonti Mingol, with the modded custom maps...

Are you just using the Grand Campaign Custom Maps mod, or is it some other map pack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

If anyone is interested, I've just updated Rebanner to add musicians to the game, which are mechanically just a different name for banners, but each of them provides automatically activating buffs when the assigned unit does certain things or is in certain situations. Here's a few examples:

I'd be interested to hear what people make of them.

Also, if anyone else who deals with modding stuff (Gejnor?) has any idea what determines the order in which abilities show up on items, I'd love to hear it. It seems completely inconsistent but it can't possibly be random.

Panfilo posted:

Pretty sure it's the grand campaign custom maps pack. There are a TON of different maps. All the capitals are unique, and only a few is each races small settlements gets repeated.

Thanks, I'll have to try that out.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Triskelli posted:

That's super cool, but is it possible to tinker with the files to add actual drums and horns for when the ability fires?

Maybe? I don't know much (anything) about audio modding, and CA uses some weird sound format. It's probably doable, but the sounds would have to somehow be converted to the format they're using and then added to the game first.

KPC_Mammon posted:

Oh poo poo, how did you modify accuracy with the elven horn-blower? I wanted to add that to a dwarf lord talent but couldn't find it anywhere.

There's a full list of the modifiable unit stats in the aptly named modifiable_unit_stats_tables table.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

KPC_Mammon posted:

Playing around with it, it looks like those only work for abilities, not traits. I'll have to make a map wide lord ability unlocked by a trait for it to work.

Which is doable! Thanks for the help!

If you're using PFM, you might want to take a look at Dave in the Assembly Kit just for checking tables. You won't see it in PFM because it's generated or something, but if you look in Dave there is a table with all of the bonus values you can assign directly to traits (accuracy isn't in there). You can also find a list of available values for any given column in a table by looking at it in Dave and clicking on Schema. Dave also has a search function that actually works properly unlike PFM's.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 19, 2017

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

KPC_Mammon posted:

Yeah, Dave is a pretty powerful tool. Nearly everything I did in my Dawi lord blue skill overhaul was self taught by right clicking and finding dependencies. It is a shame it makes terrible mod files that require a lot of cleanup to ensure compatibility with other mods.

Yeah, it loving blows for actually making mods. I make everything in PFM, but Dave is useful for looking poo poo up. I actually found out by accident the other day that some tables in Dave have comments in their headers on what values actually do, some of which are quite illuminating.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 20, 2017

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Onmi posted:

I don't know if the game is loopy or if I'm just poo poo (probably both) but it's weird seeing a "Yeah you'll crush this battle" prediction and then the actual fight I almost die.

Auto-resolve balance of forces is far from perfect, but it also depends on what difficulty you're playing on. Higher difficulties give significant bonuses to enemy units that aren't necessarily reflected by the balance of power thing.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I made another mod to fix the other thing that has always annoyed the poo poo out of me, which is that all of my heroes/generals end up with 8+ active abilities that give various buffs that I'm too lazy to deal with so I just end up feverishly clicking all of them whenever they get into combat. The mod makes all of the activate abilities granted by non-unique (legendary lord) items into passive abilities that are either constant or trigger conditionally (some with limited activations). Link, if anyone is interested:

Here are a few examples:

I'm aware that the Pendant of Slaanesh looks insanely powerful, but it also kills the poo poo out of the guy wearing it.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ammanas posted:

So how does something like the tormentor sword work? Vanilla you activate it and for x seconds enemies in radius are immobilized. Are enemies just auto-immobilized if they enter the units radius now?

There are two things going on there. There is an ability that is active only if the unit is engaged in melee and recharges only if the unit is engaged in melee which lasts for 12 seconds with a 20 second cooldown (it automatically actives any time it isn't on cooldown and the unit is engaged in melee). That ability gives the unit +18 melee attack and an imbuement (which is an effect that does something to any unit they hit in combat, like contact poison). The effect applied by the imbuement lasts 8 seconds, does damage over time, gives -12 melee attack, and prevents movement.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ammanas posted:

So you aren't able to control its activation beyond not engaging the unit in combat? Nah...interesting idea for some player-activated skills though. Tormentor sword is one of my favorite abilities.

:shrug: the point is not to have to worry about its activation. With the duration/cooldowns of the effects, the unit using it should be able to permanently lock down a single target if they stay on them. The Tormentor Sword ability is already quite powerful; if the effect was a constant AOE hex it would be obscene.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The point of an active ability is being able to use it when you choose to though, like maybe to turn a fight in your favor at a critical time. Having it just automatically go off defeats the purpose, for me at least.

Yeah, it's not for everyone, I just can't be arsed to click on them. There are enough active abilities between spells and skills for me.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Onmi posted:

So, how would one reclassify a Spell as an ability, like the Ring of Fireballs Fireball spell and Banishment that Volkmar gets. I mean, you can't overcast them, but I'd think that Gelt would like some spells that he can just cast for free with cooldowns.

EDIT: Actually, I've always heard Lore of Metal called the worst Lore, but I've never seen anyone say "Yeah use a Celestial Wizard" Isn't it the Worst Lore?

Spells and abilities are functionally the same thing already. I'm not sure precisely how the game decides which is which, but I'm guessing it's based on some combination of the presence/lack of a mana cost in unit_special_abilities, the presence/lack of an overcast variant specified in unit_abilities, and possibly the assignment of an ability to a particular lore in special_ability_groups_to_unit_abilities_junctions, though I'd guess the last one may have more to do with the little preview videos and poo poo in the spell browser. You could check for sure by searching for and comparing wh_main_spell_fire_fireball and wh_main_spell_bound_fireball in Dave.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Kaza42 posted:

Your passive Sword of Anti-Heroes applies a buff to nearby enemies. Pretty sure it's supposed to be applied to the user when enemies are nearby? Either way, I confirmed that the aura only buffs enemies. And it's not the same one as in your screenshot either

Sounds like you probably have another mod messing with it which is overwriting the table entries that apply the effects but not the ability itself, so it is taking the enemy targeting from my mod and the effects from whatever other mod you are using.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

dead comedy forums posted:

btw wallet, any other mod plans so far? using both of yours and loving it

Not really. Most other things that feel like they need modding in the base game are already addressed by existing mods. Happy you're enjoying them, though.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Onmi posted:

Be stronger than the AI, and bribe them every turn, which raises their love of you.

EDIT: So I'm taking another swing at the whole Lord of Thunder thing. I think I need something clarified

http://puu.sh/w3aqz/3c6600d83f.png

So this is the Character Skills Table, in short, I don't know how this in the abilities table
>wh_main_lord_abilities_ice_storm
Related to this in the Character Skills Table
>wh_main_skill_emp_lord_midden_marshal_ice_storm

In comparison, I have

wh_main_spell_bound_urannons_thunderbolt_upgraded
and I need to make it relate to
wh_main_skill_all_magic_heavens_05_urannons_thunderbolt

There is an intermediary. Skills grant effects, effects grant abilities, as far as I know. You'll need to create an effect and then have it enable the ability via effect_bonus_value_unit_ability_junctions.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

ZearothK posted:

The cult of Radious started when Rome 2 came out as a mess and Darth retired from Total War modding, so he made a good mod and since then everyone who second-guesses CA's decisions on principle (but somehow still buys their games) have been treating his mods as a necessary element of their game. Blame Total War Center.

His overhaul for Rome 2 was also garbage, though? There really isn't a good excuse for it.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Onmi posted:

Still not working, I don't know what's wrong now.

Once more, I have no idea what it is I'm missing.

Did you give the effect a description in the localization files? It will still give the ability, but it wont show up on the tool-tip without it.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Onmi posted:

Indeed. It's just not in Franz's skill list. I have "Enable Out of Date Mods" on, because it shows it as out of date, but I don't think that should change anything.

I mean the ones from local_en.pack>text>db.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Onmi posted:

Still nothing.

If you're not seeing the skill in game at all but the game is loading, then you're missing some component somewhere. I'd suggest searching for a similar skill from the base game in Dave and going from there, making sure you haven't missed anything. Alternatively, you could open up someone else's mod that adds new skills. You could also see if the spell/ability you added shows up correctly if you assign it to a skill that already exists. Skills aren't something I have messed with at all, so I can't really tell you more than that.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 29, 2017

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Panfilo posted:

Instant quest battles does still work with SFO but drink it and rebanner don't I believe.

They're compatible with literally every mod in existence.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Onmi posted:

So uh... Lord of Thunder is partially working. It's in the Nodes, it is an ability, it doesn't have an icon, its graphic is broken, and the ability, when you click and target an enemy, doesn't produce a lightning bolt. Also, it's locked-targeting, like a Fireball, rather than a bombardment.

But, good news, we're actually close to a full function SLA of Bolt of Urannos Overcast.

The targeting and poo poo should be easy enough to fix. For the ability icon you just need an image with the correct name in the correct place (it's in ui>battle ui>ability_icons).

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

madmac posted:

That doesn't match up with my experiences, but I loaded up an old save to test and yep, CA must have changed RoR behavior at some point because I know for a fact they used to have a cooldown.

My first ever experience using the Ironbreaker RoR was disbanding them after one turn and not getting them back for like 15 turns.

Now I wonder if they still have a cooldown after being destroyed but I don't have a good save to test that with.

They still do, sort of. RoRs use the mercenary system from one of the older games. They are added to a recruitment pool, but your ability to see/recruit units in the pool is limited by what units you should have access to and whether you have already hit the cap for them. Most of the pools (last I checked) can only hold one of any given RoR, so if you raise the cap (or remove it) you'll only be able to recruit one, after which you'll have to wait some number of turns to recruit another copy. Even if you already have recruited any given RoR, they will still regenerate in the pool, even though you can't see them, so if you recruit one, then delete it five turns (or however long they take to regen, I don't recall) later, a replacement will be immediately available. If you attempt to recruit one, boot it, and then recruit another on the same turn, you won't be able to. Unless they've changed it, which I don't think they have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Flakey posted:

Yay, fixed the launcher crashing on startup by replacing the Data folder in the TWW folder.

SFO seems pretty hot so far, good challenge compared to the vanilla game. Gejnor (or anyone else who uses it), is your Chaos Rising mod compatible with Steel Faith? I really like what it does and want to keep using it.

Ever since they fixed mod conflicts (sort of), any mods that the game will launch with in tandem are "compatible," they just might overwrite each other's changes (which can cause some wonky poo poo, granted).

• Locked thread