Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Well there's another "Hidden until people stop uploading stolen mods to Bethesda.theft and users stop endorsing mod theft." I think that's the most annoying thing about this dumb drama.

Kaincypher posted:

any news on some of the total overhauls that I love so much? Been waiting since practically the release to re-play with a different (better) rule-set, perks, and gear.

They take time. Lots of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I've been trying this mod called "We Are The Minutemen", which does a few things to the Minutemen faction:

1) Adds some more templates to the minutemen that you find in random encounters. Some will have heavier armor/better weapons. It seems tied to the number/size of your settlements too.

2) Lets you "Craft" minutemen at the citadel so you can deploy them at settlements as guards.

3) Gives them uniforms, instead of the dirty patchy outfit they have nice blue military style (civil war, I think?) uniforms.

4) Implements a cooldown timer on minutemen quests. You can only do 1 at a time, and the game won't immediately assign you another one as you turn them in.

I'm pretty satisfied with it so far. It toned things down so it's not so crazy, without completely disabling it like many of the other mods do.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/6443/

And there's a lite version if you don't want all of the stuff!

I made a replacer for the WATM Minutemen bandana too to match with HD Bandanas. (along with some missing from the original mod and an Old World flag variant.) I quite like that mod for bandanas.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Capn Beeb posted:

Dang :( What about porting Skyrim stuff? Any easier?

Getting any models into Fallout 4 seems like a giant pain in the rear end.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Console people commenting on Fallout 4 PC mods have gotten so loving annoying that Skibadaa has put a gigantic notice in huge font on the top of all his mods.

quote:

CONCERNING CONSOLES:

There are certain technical challenges that would need to be addressed for my guns to work on consoles. As stated in the description: my nif's are sloppy, about 10-15% of PC users encounter random ctd's when the game tries to load my weapons, regardless of how powerful their rig is. This on its own doesn't bode well for console hardware. Also, due to the nature of installing mods on consoles it is impossible for console users to create merged patches for levelled lists. This means that my files as is would not work alongside any other weapon mod on console that also has levelled integration (and tbh any mod worth its salt should have LL integration). This is fixble, but only via the use of a quest script to add the weapons to the levelled lists automatically. Currently I dont know how to do jack s*** in papyrus, and until I do I cant write such a script, and until I can write that script I wont be porting my guns to consoles. If you are an enterprising papyrus scripter who wants to throw me a bone with regards to this issue then drop me a line, my inbox is open.

I feel sorry for this poor bastard. Though if anyone knows scripting and wants to help the guy out, here's the call.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Deified Data posted:

This isn't meant to sound catty, but I actually want to know: does Bethesda actually benefit from having a system in place in which mod authors can petition to have pirated mods removed? Why should they care?

Because there are many mod authors who are violently angry at them over it and being very loud about it. The ol "Hoard of angry customers" thing.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FlyinPingu posted:

as long as there are nexus users to endlessly fellate them they'll never stop modding. Even the modders who take their mods down in protest against big mean ol' bethesda will throw them back up when they start to miss having praise heaped upon them by mindless internet strangers

Not many actually do this. I mean, I don't suppose you've ever had to deal with mod users? loving no amount of praise is worth that bullshit if it's why you do it. It's why a lot of modders just lose their poo poo. For every bit of praise, there's like a thousand assholes demanding you cater to them or delivering the world's most useless "bug reports" or criticism that amounts to "I don't like it."

NOT a lot of people just stop to comment "Hey, I like it." They comment if they also have something else to say, like a request or a bug. That poo poo'll drive you to drink if you actually care about comments.

vvvv :smith::respek::smith:

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 12, 2016

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
A BUILD-YOUR-OWN VAULT DLC WHERE YOU CAN DO EXPERIMENTS?!

So, I'm all over this.

http://kotaku.com/new-fallout-4-dlc-will-let-you-build-a-vault-1781858430

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 13, 2016

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SeanBeansShako posted:

I can't help but keep picturing that poor fuckers FEV ridden corpse in Fallout 3 and all the other people suffering in their own private hells. I guess a lot of people who play Fallout ignore the deeper lore to shoot tall green mans in face with nuke gun?

They are going to be super shocked if they play the earlier games and find out the truth.

Also, I feel really really bad for the dude doing Maxwells World now.

"Hey Smoothskin, I'm bored and know stuff about Vault Tech. Come play Vault with me."

Do I have to be ignoring the lore to be happy at the idea of being able to shove the Longs into a mad science experiment underground?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sorus posted:

Yeah. I wanted so much for there to be a way to help Jun out. gently caress Travis and the radio, allow me to help Jun piece himself together. And then let me take him out into the wasteland to murder his nightmares.

Yeah, that's fair. Though maybe one of the experiments involves anti-depressants.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Krowley posted:

Yeah, that's kinda what I was looking for

Though looking over that list of 30-something additional mods it requires, I think I'll wait for a Lite version or something

That isn't going to happen. The mods it requires are all the weapons it adds. By making an ESP where you have to get all the original mods just to use it, they skirt around the "STEALING MY MODS" thing.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Seashell Salesman posted:

Did they also "fix" all of the characters faces by making them look completely different for no reason at all?

quote:

Like many other Fallout players, I have always found both the Minutemen and Railroad Factions in Fallout 4 to seem far too small and have too little resources to take on factions like The Institute or The Brotherhood of Steel. The Enclave Reborn Mod, which can be found here (http://www.moddb.com/mods/enclave-reborn-minman-total-overhaul/downloads) solved the Minutemen issue for me marvelously. I got tired of waiting for someone else to create a faction overhaul mod for The Railroad, so I made one myself! This is my first mod ever, but it is tested and working. This mod makes Desdomona, Glory, and some of the Railroad agents in the game spawn in full suits of X-01 Power Armor. As well as making Desdomona and Glory spawn with Gatling Lasers, and all X-01 Armored Railroad agents now spawn with Plasma weapons.

Doesn't look like it.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I wouldn't mind adding it to them, but having a uniform for your secret group that is trying not to be spotted strikes me as... not productive.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SirDan3k posted:

Yeah but how long until they start putting in half-assed copy protection to keep their precious mods pure , that little tantrum has convinced me not to bother with them.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15538/

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
In less annoying news, a modular Sanctuary-style build set!

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15773/

Looks like you can rebuild Sanctuary without the workarounds from other mods, like the one that just "Repairs" the walls.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15925/

Faction overhaul = add the best power armor to loving everyone

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/16044/

Were you sad you could only make one faction at a time full of unkillable people and X-01 armor? BE SAD NO MORE, now you can do it to all of them! It requires multiple ESPs for some reason and it tells you to disable the Minutemen one if you don't side with them for some reason. Also Danse and Deacon are now killable by the player for no reason that they can figure out.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Who is DDProductions83 and are his mods funny haha or funny off-meds? Eg. http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15842/

Little of column a, little of column b. I use a few of his that do little utilitarian things.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

pmchem posted:

Arthmoor comes off as such a douche. He says "Only Bethesda can ultimately fix this, so IMO, people should start directing bug reports to them." Well, yeah, if he cared about the long term health of the game he would have been encouraging people to report every issue to the Bethesda feedback page and not just his private bug tracker. Always. But he totally disparaged it when I asked if he was reporting all the issues he "fixes" (he doesn't), and only when his unofficial patch is triggering an engine oddity does he ask people to contact bethsoft. Vanilla is unaffected.

It just makes it look like what he cares about most is his little fiefdom. And the dramatic thread title. I wonder if he would've been hired by Bethsoft years ago if not for seeming like he'd be a nightmare to work with.

Actually, I... did see him report stuff? And say that he reported stuff? I doubt he reports every single thing his mod "fixes" (many of which are super inconsequential anyway, like capitalization errors), but the last time this came up, he was specifically directing people to how to report bugs and he had just reported a bug. I think it was the cell reset bug?

I mean, far be it from me to defend Arthmoor, but this particular instance is kinda weird.

Azhais posted:

What does it even fix? I've got hundreds of hours in this game and I installed it for my last couple runs and can't say i noticed any changes. Every bug I hit previously that I was hoping it fixed still happened. Doesn't seem like a great loss, especially since his patch includes all sorts of "I just didn't like this" type changes iirc

http://afkmods.iguanadons.net/Unofficial%20Fallout%204%20Patch%20Version%20History.html

There are actually some things that I ran into and were fixed by the patch.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FlyinPingu posted:

has any modder ever actually gotten a job via their mods? I would think that to be hired one would need, y'know, qualifications beyond "I changed this thing in your videogame"

like seriously why on earth would they ever consider hiring Arthmoor?

It's happened in Crusader Kings 2.

pmchem posted:

"As far as I can remember, there's never been a proper official channel to submit bug report" -- Arthmoor, after I pointed out and asked him if he used the bethesda.net submit feedback page. If he's changed his ways on this, I'd be happy and curious to read the post where he's instructing people in detail.

Were any high impact that you immediately remember without reading the changelog link? Honest question; the one that seemed most important was save bloat but that's officially fixed now.

Definitely, because I've recruited Doc Anderson/Rylee/Ron Staples and I kept getting pissed off when they vanished from my settlements. I magically got molerat disease even though Codsworth was the one who got bitten. I had Anne Hargraves/Sheffield/Rylee/Vault-Tec Rep always making me ask to hire them every time I tried to talk to them and that was annoying the poo poo out of me. I broke Phyllis Daily. I couldn't get to Bobbi's terminal. The Bobby/Tina quest bugged out on me and I couldn't end it.

Only thing I looked up for that list was the names. And most of the problems I had WERE settlement-related, so it is kinda annoying to have this bug.

(Bear with me on finding where he backtracked, his forum is a pain in the rear end to navigate)

EDIT: Never mind, found it:

http://afkmods.iguanadons.net/index.php?/topic/3750-wipz-tes5edit/page-58#entry160229

He was apparently in some kind of private Bethesda forum for the DLC betas and expressed specific intent to report a bug to them. :shrug:

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 10, 2016

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Smol posted:

Why does everyone pretend like that bug is some conspiracy by Bethesda against modders? Report the bug to them and it'll get fixed, eventually. Or if not, someone in the community will reverse engineer the binaries and fix it that way.

Who the hell even cares if some no-name settlers change their appearance?

In this case? Because Arthmoor is a known paranoid lunatic. He went on some crazy thing about how goons were mod terrorists one time that was pretty hilarious. Sent it to Bethesda, if I'm not mistaken. His forum sig is something like "RIP United States of America - July 1776 - November 2012."

So the answer is "He is not a well man."

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mosnar posted:

Playing with it now in my current run (level 80+). So far I've met up with some "organized" raiders in a new location and after collecting one of their own, they send me off to rip off chem dealers in Diamond City and Goodneighbor . Interestingly, it seems the ability to disguise oneself from FONV/FO3 are in play .. we'll see how well that works.

Separately, I stumbled across a karaoke bar. Nothing much happening there yet, must be part of another quest I haven't gotten to/progressed yet.

Couple of new vendors so far, and a unique shotgun I haven't played with yet.

Subtitles are on the amateur side, but I'm using the Full Dialogue mod so who knows. VA pretty drat good.

Is the VA Interesting NPCs good or actually good and consistent?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

That doesn't mean you don't test it, though. This is like people who say "oh if the attacker has x asset then it's game over anyway so I don't have to do any security due diligence at all!"

Even the players and the unofficial patch people didn't catch this bug until now, and it turns out isolated cases of it have been popping up for over a month. This bug SOUNDS really big, and it is really big, but it's pretty wily.

Some bugs are just like that.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cirosan posted:

Thanks. I've got no problem losing to a good mod, but losing to a guy that literally said "pew pew" into his microphone and replaced all gunshot sound effects with it... well, it stings. Not to mention all the winners that were outright stolen - Unofficial Patch team had their work submitted into the contest by somebody who had nothing to do with their project, and the zero oversight regarding contest rules looks like the thief may well make off with some prize or other. Heard another winner just stole art assets from GameBanana. It's almost farcical.

I think it's about time I left FO4 modding behind, myself. I've made no secret of the fact that I don't think FO4 is a good game, and this is about the last straw. Got some good notoriety out of FDI, but at the end of the day I'm just working to improve a game I couldn't care less about for the benefit of a community that's toxic on its best days. Apologies for the salt, and apologies for dragging drama into the modding thread.

To at least end on something positive, I was working on a way to get non-English FDI onto consoles. Might still go through with it, but I need a long break from the FO4 scene either way.

Eh, gently caress popularity contests, it's tits all the way down anyway. Everyone with a brain knows FDI's miles more important than that crap.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
He makes some good things, but he is not the most stable fellow.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Did you think giving X-01 armor to all the factions wasn't enough? LOOK NO FARTHER, THE RAIDERS GET IT TOO!

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/16402/

When everyone has X-01 armor, nobody has X-01 armor.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

E-Tank posted:

To be completely honest: the balance in Baldurs Gate was crap. You basically had to sit and re-roll until you had a good enough score or the game would literally be impossible. Whats that? Wanna be a hardcore DND nerd and take the first rolls you get? Alright. You play a mage with 6 con and have 2 starting hp. Well, a slight breeze'll kill you, but surely with some tactical thinking and a bit of luck, you can make it! You get through the starting area. It's a close call, but you make it. A cutscene happens. And you end up injured in said cutscene.

the spell used to hit you isn't cosmetic only. It's mechanically the actual spell, and you aren't set in an invulnerable cutscene state. Said spell always does at least 2 hp worth of damage. You can DIE in the cutscene because you have too little health. :v:

I remember making a girl fighter who won the loving lottery. 18/00 str, 18 dex, 18 con, 10 int, 10 wis, 18 chr. She was basically unkillable beyond insta-death spells or lightning bolts (which in narrow hallways were death incarnate)

Named her Gerea and she cut a bloody swathe through the sword coast. :allears:

BG-2- modding. That is very different! You start at "end of BG1" level.

And the problem I had with BG2 modders was the loving assholes assuming everyone wanted the most enormous insane challenge possible. Why not make all my mod fights harder than literally any other fight in the game? That won't be a problem for anyone.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Filed bug against a mod on Nexus, attached some papyrus logging that the mod owner asked for. He takes one look at the log, totally ignores repro steps and declares that it was pilot error and closes my bug as by design. Now I responded explaining how I found a workaround to his issue and how his hypothesis is impossible, no response. Don't think i want any more of this guy's code running on my gaming machine...

I loving hate that poo poo. You have a bug, dude, chill the gently caress out. It happens! Let someone help you find and fix it!

It doesn't have a cowboy hat though. Just three specific hats.

Also it's a little buggy. They merged it, but it broke a bunch of formIDs, namely the ones that keep you from decapitating Jezebel. Here's my fixed copy: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=64973790384447980392

I've sent the fix to the guy, so hopefully it'll be up properly soon.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 15, 2016

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Basic Chunnel posted:

So there's no way to use FO4edit with MO, is there. Wish I'd known that, I liked running into stuff from the Mojave Imports mod but sometime after the first few levels I stopped running into a number of items on the list (Nuka Cola variants and various weird drugs and food from NV/FOT are in, Sunset Sasparilla is out)

Er? No, it works fine, You just run FO4Edit through MO.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/16482/ A very simple "make Covenant pieces work better" mod. I dropped Homemaker because of too much stuff, but this looks like a good substitute to make Covenant more workable.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Anyone else find that Crossbows of the Commonwealth leveled list integration puts crossbows on way too many raiders? Every area I find with pre-placed dead raiders every single one of them has a crossbow. I like having crossbows in the mix but this is starting to annoy me.

Looking at the leveled lists, I'm not sure why they'd be more common than anything else. Maybe it's a low level thing? They start showing up at level 5, and the only other options at that level are pipe guns and double barrel shotguns. They're also in lists for "long" guns specifically. for raiders. I bet you could thin them out by either removing the edit to the normal raider weapons list or from the raider "long" guns.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/8990/

And there is a bow mod.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I took a look through the bug tracker and lots of people reported the same issue. The owner responded and said he thinks it's a bug in fo4edit where all the chances in the LL are displayed as zero, but the vanilla chances are actually like "768", so it looks like they all match but his LL integration might be broken because he literally set the chance to "0". I'll try again when fo4edit can decode that field properly.

Oh, that seems important. It's been reported to the FO4edit guys, right?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I'm not sure. They know they aren't decoding everything though, from their FO4Edit page on Nexus:

That seems like maybe a thing someone should report. That's a big and weird problem if it breaks leveled lists that hard.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Just a heads-up to anyone else who might be suffering from the bug where all settlements are stuck permanently at 50% happiness, no new recruits ever show up for any settlements, and your stores never produce any profit: after spending awhile deactivating settlement-y mods one at a time and sleeping for 24 hours to see what happened, I discovered the unofficial patch was surprisingly the culprit. All the happiness meters started moving in one direction or another and I got an immediate flood of new recruits at all my settlements the second I disabled it.

Youuuu might wanna report that one, too. That sounds like a problem.

vvvv Yeah, but they seemed to think they removed the fixes that also caused this problem in the last version. If it's still messing things up, that should probably be pointed out.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 18, 2016

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Agreed. It might be that people are using private (newer) builds of FO4Edit than the one on the Nexus. My one definitely shows "0" for everything and it's the same rev as the one on the Nexus page. It would be easy enough to just clone and build FO4Edit from https://github.com/TES5Edit/TES5Edit but it's Saturday and I wanna play games not watch build system spew.

I loaded it up in the creation kit and it is identical to the other similar lists. I don't see any differences that would lead to this.

All I can imagine is that -older- versions of Fo4Edit showed a different number because they were flawed. Perhaps you can just resave it in a current version and it would sort things out? It's hard to test changes like this, because you can never quite know when a leveled list has updated without waiting.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 18, 2016

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Azhais posted:

Not exactly self building looking at it. Just a static hidden settlement that gets uncovered bit by bit as settlers arrive. Kinda like Major League.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDZ_lSJjgvk

I really don't know why anyone would expect actual self-building here. It's as close as anyone's ever going to get.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Azhais posted:

You could probably set up something like little prefabs, grid off the settlements for various tasks, and have the system just pick a random prefab that addresses a given shortfall and dumps it into the respective zone. So you'd get the same structures now and again, but a little randomness playthrough to playthrough

That's like a step from magic as far as coding is concerned though. You basically have to hand-place things and disable them and trigger them to reenable to simulate what you want.

Luisfe posted:

Is there any mod that allows for multiple companions the same time?
If not, I guess that the "ahve dog + a compnion" mod will have to be enough.

Nexus is down right now, but there is this: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11829/

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Want kids to look different? This person did too!

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/16289/

I balked at this one initially since it makes their hair look super... uh, child beauty pageant. But they seem to have just uploaded one that uses more vanilla hairstyles, so it's worth a shot. The pictures are still the old styles though.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FlyinPingu posted:

they said they replaced the textures, is that why all those kids look disgustingly glossy

blech

I didn't notice that somehow. Maybe I've stared too long into the Nexus abyss. (or maybe all the kids looking identical just bugged me too much, especially in places like classrooms where it's super obvious)

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Welp. I've been hoping for a fix to the Rebel Armor's gearless version to fix a bug in the scarf. I take a look on the Nexus and lo and behold, it's gone. Seems like he had a horrible flood of people harassing him because of stuff that happened when they used copies of the mod uploaded on Bethesda's site by someone else and he couldn't stand it anymore.

Honestly, do people really have to be dickholes? This is why we can't have nice things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LumberingTroll posted:

So, I havent had time to look at this since April, did the settlement keyword stuff get sorted? for a while there we needed keyword manager mods, but then it looked like bethesda increased the keyword limit so it wasn't needed anymore, what was the outcome and common practice now?

People still use them for compatibility with other settlement mods.