Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Azhais posted:

People who put their tp that direction clearly don't own cats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Zelmel posted:

I doubt they do care, and they certainly shouldn't, as the whole half-baked console mod thing is probably going to collapse just like the paid mod thing did for skyrim.

How do you figure that?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

I really wish there was a 'Vault Meat related content' block option...

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Smol posted:

Why does everyone pretend like that bug is some conspiracy by Bethesda against modders? Report the bug to them and it'll get fixed, eventually. Or if not, someone in the community will reverse engineer the binaries and fix it that way.

Who the hell even cares if some no-name settlers change their appearance?

Because people really buy into the fantasy that Bethesda is a weird gestalt entity out to intentionally screw players and itself out of things for mysterious reasons.

see: "Bethesda wanted New Vegas to fail!/Bethesda was mad that people liked New Vegas better than Fallout 3!"

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Ive seen it mentioned a few times, but is there really poo poo in the UOF4 patch that he changes purely out of his own preference?

He removed some of the FemFallout's adlibbed lines because they didn't have subtitles.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Seashell Salesman posted:

In general if you own an extensibility point it's your responsibility to test that consumers won't unexpectedly break the base product just by doing normal extension stuff (running scripts, adding assets, etc. in this case).

Counterpoint: Use mods at your own risk.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Azhais posted:

Enjoy the sanity while it lasts. We all know it's only a matter of time before the "get pegged by Marcy" mod shows up on LL

Oh, my sweet summer child

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Everyone in my room spent the first 30 seconds after I pulled this up just saying 'No' over and over.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Raygereio posted:

If you're really going for the old "Bethesda sabotaged New Vegas"-thing.

My favorite extension of this conspiracy theory is that Zenimax was looking to acquire Obsidian and were gaming Metacritic in order to tank them enough that they could buy them out on the cheap.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Is it really fair to call it a conspiracy theory after the Human Head/Prey 2 poo poo that went down?

Yes.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Smol posted:

If I were to do a small personal mod that nerfed the vision part of the stealth perks a bit (I have 3 points in stealth and it's getting pretty ridiculous how blind the enemies are now), what variable would I have to edit?

See this bugs me because with maxed out stealth I can't seem to sneak up on a blind, dead brick.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

The mod to trivialize lockpicking is called fallout4.esm.

That wasn't really as clever as it sounded in your head, friend.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Midnight Voyager posted:

It's not necessarily hosed up. They got one of the super frilly hair mods and converted them for kids. Also they look a bit shiny with the included texture replacement. And I kinda hate the hairdos in the first place

They refitted them from Commonwealth Cuts, so... ApachiiSky hair.

Stranger Things looks good

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Bilal posted:

No, the only reason that Fallout 3 or New Vegas needed weapon degradation was to prevent the player from sequence breaking the game by getting a hold of a late game weapon early on. For example, the minigun dropped from the quest in Novac is at almost zero condition to prevent you from getting a minigun that early in the game.

In Fallout 4 the heavy weapons are worthless and you upgrade weapon damage via crafting, so there's absolutely no reason to implement degradation and no way to make it fun.

You can stumble upon plasma weaponry on Bright follower corpses not too far from Goodsprings and, as mentioned, you can make almost a dozen repair kits on the spot at Novac a few feet from the event (which respawns every few days, so you can collect and repair that way as well)

Also that isn't what sequence breaking is at all.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Seems perfectly normal to me, nothing unusual in the slightest.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

clone on the phone posted:

Like others said, if you don't have the hardware to appreciate it then you can't appreciate it. Yeah, I'm sure nexus will have a middle ground mod at some point too for those that aren't able to run the official one. One screenshot isn't enough to base an informed opinion around though.

Anyone got any good melee weapon mods? They seem to be in short supply.

It's not like we have a plethora of screenshots to work off of and it isn't our fault the ones that Bethesda gave us as promotional/hype material aren't really showing a worthwhile improvement.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Backhand posted:

My first experience with Nick Valentine involved three things in rapid succession: Recognizing the same VA Bethesda has used for every goddamn character in every goddamn game for the past several years who doesn't even try to change his voice, having him replace my drunken drug-infused Irish Power-Fisted brawler with a decrepit robot carrying a pea shooter, and then having him bitch at me for stealing a desk fan.

Nick got the boot pretty quickly thereafter.

As for the talk about New Vegas, yeah, the marketing was pretty awful. I didn't even hear about it until it was already out, and then even, it looked awful in promo vids and such. I remember very clearly thinking "This is against ALL of my better judgement..." as I bought it, hoping against hope that it might redeem the mess that was Fallout 3 despite the shoddy premise, engine, graphics, and environment. Fortunately, I was one million percent wrong and NV wound up being one of my favorite games of all time. I definitely felt like I was taking a pretty big chance when I bought it, though.

Stephen Russell has actually only done 3 Bethesda RPG titles, voicing a few characters I was surprised to learn were him (Most Named and Generic Handy's/Gutsy's, Harold) and perhaps most famously for providing the signature voice of Thief protagonist Garrett (not including the latest Thief game because why bother when your game sucks).

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

turn off the TV posted:

Behold, after hours of figuring out what the gently caress is going on with Fallout 4's animation system, I've achieved my greatest creation.

A slightly smaller cricket.

However, beyond being slightly smaller, this cricket is also non hostile, flees on sight, and best of all, makes loud cricket noises that can be heard from pretty far away. This is cool because I can spawn them like radstags and wild dogs, so they'll show up pretty much everywhere. That way you can have ambient bug and cricket sounds that aren't just being pumped into your speakers as stereo sounds. I'm going to eventually give them a new skin, probably green, so that they look more distinct. Maybe make them even smaller.

I'm also planning on adding cats, rats, ants, rabbits and chickens to these spawns, just to add a little more diversity to the Commonwealth.

But crickets come primarily in browns and blacks?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Problem with this New Vegas project is that it doesn't really appeal to the people who like New Vegas. They consider FO4 rotten to the core in the same way Morrowind fans consider Skyrim an awful base for Skywind no matter how much it is modded. If it releases, it'll be a nice landmass to play around in but it doesn't really have a future.

After OpenMW/OpenCS hits 1.0 its only a matter of time until OpenNV becomes a thing and that's where the true potential is. That being said, I hope this project goes somewhere because like Skywind, it'll give OpenNV modders assets to work with.

I mean, both projects appeal to me just fine, especially if they get the quests and poo poo working?

Not entirely sure the basis for this assertion.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Gobblecoque posted:

I do agree with him that Fallout 4 does do the shooting dudes thing better. Guns in F3/NV always kinda felt more like magic staves that cast bullet rather than guns.

Yeah, Fallout 4 is an across the board improvement in the 'shooting bullets at mans' department

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Midnight Voyager posted:

But it totally happens all the time.

In unrelated news.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/24343/

Hey, this power armor is a train.

Power Armor as a vehicle was the best drat idea ever and Power Armor mods are dumb and good.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Also, yes, the old gauss rifles looked stupid as hell and the 'old style' versions modders made for FO3 and FNV all looked even dumber.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

:krad:

This made me wonder how many weapons have actually been imported from New Vegas so far, so I decided to make a list. As of now, we've got:

GUNS:

9mm Pistol
.45 Auto Pistol/A Light Shining in the Darkness
That Gun
Hunting Revolver/Ranger Sequoia (Shoutout though to this mod, which is a very nice Ranger Sequoia retex of the .44 Magnum)
12.7mm Pistol
Single Shotgun/Caravan Shotgun
Lever-Action Shotgun
Hunting Shotgun
Riot Shotgun
9mm SMG
10mm SMG
Varmint Rifle
Battle RIfle/This Machine
Sniper Rifle/Gobi Campaign Rifle
Anti-Material Rifle
Automatic Rifle
The Bozar
Assault Carbine/Service Rifle/All American

ENERGY WEAPONS

Laser RCW
Incinerator
Plasma Caster

EXPLOSIVES

Flare Gun
Grenade Launcher/Holorifle
Grenade Rifle
25mm APW

THROWN

Holy Frag Grenade

MELEE

Bowie Knife
Bumper Sword
Chainsaw
Cleaver
Fire Axe
Katana
Nuka Breaker

UNARMED

Nothing because modders are jerks. Give me my ballistic fist you assholes! :argh:

I love how all the screenshots in the Hunting Shotgun mod are third person because the first person looks like rear end, held out far from the player.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Pwnstar posted:

Ok here's a Google Doc so you guys can go apeshit with silly names: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Q2QyiyICNl8LB4HXWOnQZnTV9rF-UW5lrCHmdrYX_YM/edit

To start I just put in the categories of enemies I assumed would run out of dudes very quickly, feel free to add more names for any enemy type you want.

Doing the Lord's work, friends

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

This is the dumbest thing I've ever seen and I want 20 of them.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Terrorforge posted:

Mod Organizer is your friend. Not your best friend, maybe, but unlike NMM it at least keeps track of the things you give it responsibility for rather than randomly getting drunk, forgetting where half of it is and puking on the other half.

You say that, but sometime last year my MO installs decided they no longer wanted to work with Skyrim properly, and then straight up ignore installed mods for FO4.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

Not a single innovation from the base Fallout 4 game had its origin outside of Skyrim and New Vegas mods. Except maybe fuel-driven power armor and vertibird rides, and only then because the old engine likely made attempts too difficult.

When your modding community is as long-lived and prolific as Bethesda's, avoiding 'copying mods' eventually becomes impossible.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

staberind posted:

no, because it looks like poo poo and you need your eyes tested ffs.

yes, i am a mebmer of the usmc, i see you are impressed with the little shelf on my shoulders. it is where we display our loving minature trees and i have completly forgotten what they are called thus making this whole exercise pointless.

its like sopmeone in beth said "ohshit, we have an hour to model and texture some cool aquatic armor but not have it look like csa".

bonsai, gently caress off.

aside from that, even if you have like, the worst and most poo poo taste imaginable, actually making a little mod to do just that is p. easy. i could make one and make a little tutorial,

source your quotes.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Gonkish posted:

Morgan's suit is one of the most low-effort things on there, and that's saying a lot. It's just a straight port from Prey, just enough to make it wearable in FO4. You can't even modify it at an armor bench, it has absolutely no purpose in-game. It's essentially you paying (or not, in this case) for the privilege of wearing an ad in a single player game.

Even for free, that suit is a waste of hard drive space.

It looks cool, and Fashion Is Everything

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Glazius posted:

If you deliberately ignore Dogmeat, when you get to the point where you need him to track something Valentine says he's calling an old associate and then dogwhistles.

Dogmeat: crime-solving adventure dog, and also somehow the Norm of the post-apocalypse. Everybody knows Dogmeat!

Nick and Dogmeat having an adventure/detective history is one of the single greatest off-hand story bits in any Bethesda game.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

What's the go-to HD texture poo poo these days? Anything good for armors? Muddy gloves on the pipboy screen are a drag

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Back Hack posted:

New Hellboy Trailer

Everything about this just feels off, like they're in the ballpark, like it almost feels like a Hellboy movie...but something is missing.

E: I know I keep saying this, but why is Ben British? Why!?

It's the incredibly offensive lack of Perlman

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Clever Spambot posted:

I know its probably played out to poo poo on fallout 76 at this point but i like how the modded fallout 4 version of the ranger outfit looks way better than the official 76 one that was added recently.

its like... too clean or something, i cant quite put my finger on why it feels off

edit: also the eyes shouldnt be red because that was a modification by the ncr who dont exist yet but its just a silly bonus armor so i cant complain too much about it not being canon

It looks off to me because the image of the armor model is imposed over a background, it clearly wasn't taken in game, so they have two completely different lighting environments

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Seems about par for the course as far as 'realism' mods go from people who have no idea how easy or hard it is to actually perform the tasks they want to alter

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

To be fair the skillsets for modding and the skillsets for making your own ammunition and desalinating your own water are just a little bit different.

To be fair, you can google this basic poo poo so there isn't a good excuse for it

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Well, if the point of discussing it was to get the modder to change it, we wouldn't be doing it on the games section of comedy forums something awful where the mod maker does not look for feedback or discussion.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

isndl posted:

Was thinking less getting the modder to change it and more trying to tweak it to your tastes by piling more mods on top of it.

If that can't fix it we're all screwed

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Azhais posted:

Horizon's cooking is what irritated me. I don't remember the rest being a huge annoyance but the usual survival game trope of needing to kill like 8 cows to get enough meat to make a burger is dumb as poo poo

Do you also need to unlock the recipe for 'cook meat on fire' like some other games?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

It depends on what your specific problem is

Like, as a good example, needing so many animals because apparently doing a bad job of cutting up meat makes it invalid for use in hamburger which, honestly, is the most absurd thing I've read today honestly.

isndl posted:

...invalidating half the changes Horizon makes in which case why are you playing Horizon?

Because you like the other half of the changes? Who cares why you choose to install a mod then change bits and pieces of it to your liking, since that's literally what we're doing with the base game already?

"Why bother buying and installing Fallout 4 if you're just going to completely overhaul half or more of the systems and invalidate the gameplay loop"

Sounds kinda silly, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Never trust modders to create good stories.

Incredible contribution

Anyway, I just did a run through of Children of Ug-Qualtoth and, while not so story-heavy, it has a pretty good atmosphere and does some decent horror stuff with its weird dungeon crawl