Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Mylan posted:

I feel like BotW2 is going to have to involve time travel or a dark world situation; how else can you reuse the map but have it different enough to justify a new game?

The BOTW2 announcement trailer referenced Twilight Princess so heavily I'd be shocked if we don't see some derivative of the Twilight Realm return. It may as well have been a TP sequel announcement afaic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

It’s kind of ridiculous how much thirst there is for Link is BOTW, especially considering he’s 17

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

Actually he's 117, making him the creepy one

poo poo u rite :hmmyes:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Never played the first Hyrule Warriors, but I fuckin loved the storyline in BotW so I’m abso-fuckin-lutely getting this one!

Also I’m guessing this means BOTW2 ain’t coming till like 2022 and this is just to tide us over lmao

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Gonna be interesting to see if/how they incorporate the recalled memories into the story

i.e. in botw Calamity Ganon appears as the gang is coming down Mount Lanayru, maybe that climb of Lanayru is in the new story

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

I think there were already monsters at that point, it just built to a crescendo when he appeared. I would imagine we get a few stages before that event, probably one or two for each champion as they “learn what it takes” to be a champion. Then all hell breaks lose and they’re forced to go their separate ways as they look to get to their divine beasts. Also, don’t be surprised see Nintendo retcon the small stuff if it makes for a better narrative.

Yeah, the one memory where Link has just slain a fuckload of monsters is before Ganon appears, so I think you're right - a bit of pretense to get familiar with the games, then Ganon appears maybe like halfway through the story or something and as you said you play the parts of the Champions getting to their beasts and Link and Zelda doing Link and Zelda stuff

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I thought they failed before that could happen which is part of why they lost in the first place?

The new game's trailer shows Vah Rudania moving under its own power with blue lights, signaling that it hasn't been taken over by Ganon yet, so I suspect we'll be seeing some amount of the Champions piloting their machines

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

RickRogers posted:

Are there white birch trees in the picture? If so, I seem to remember that being the last one I got, somewhere in Hyrule field around a lake?

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's definitely in a wooded area in Hyrule Field and more specifically by a river, SE-ish of Hyrule Castle. It's also tied with the 13th bonus recalled memory you get for unlocking the main twelve for my favorite memory.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

So It Goes posted:

If there’s one thing I learned from the announcement (cool enough looking game) it’s that people enjoy the BotW story waaaaay more than I do.

I'm absolutely getting this game mostly for the story, I think it'll be really cool to see BotW's recalled memories get fleshed out

I guess I could just skip the game and wait for all the cutscenes to be on YouTube, but where's the fun in that???

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

DorianGravy posted:

I like the story in BotW a lot, but I hope that BotW2 gives us a happier journey.

Hell no, go darker like they did with Twilight Princess

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Cattail Prophet posted:

drat, I never noticed before that Commander is holding both a shot and his beer at the same time.

Looks like he’s about to drop the shot into the beer...a ChuChu Bomb???

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

thrilla in vanilla posted:

I can’t wait for breath of the wild 2. It’s gonna whip rear end

:hmmyes::hmmyes::hmmyes:

The bar for them to clear is absurdly high, but given how high they set it in the first place I have a feeling they’ll clear it easily

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

canyoneer posted:

I first read that not as "games from the Western hemisphere" but as the Western genre, which includes uhh, Red Dead Redemption series and ????

Apparently the BOTW sequel is being pretty heavily influenced by Red Dead 2, soooo

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/06/zelda_breath_of_the_wild_sequel_inspired_by_red_dead_redemption_2_says_aonuma

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

A recipe book would be neat, compiling both the recipes you’ve discovered yourself and also ones you find in people’s diaries, receive by completing simple tasks or paying a merchant, etc

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I wish more games had demos tbh, like all of them that cost over like :10bux:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I was still hesitating until today since I’ve never played any of the Warriors games, but poo poo, I’m sold. Pre-ordered and hyped!

Lil’ Sheikah BB-8 :3:

The Maroon Hawk fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 26, 2020

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

jisforjosh posted:

Wasn't it greater than 1:1 at launch?

Yeah, about a month after launch BotW had a 102% attach rate

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2017/04/15/wait-how-did-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-for-switch-outsell-the-switch-itself/#482915922111

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

FooF posted:

It's kind of hard for me to believe that only about 30% of all Switch owners have BotW but I can understand why Mario Kart and Animal Crossings have higher sales.

Off-topic but fuckin' LOL that AC:NH probably only sold as well as it did 'cuz of the 'Rona

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Cattail Prophet posted:

I imagine this is almost entirely a subset of "people who own a Wii U."

Good point, my friend has a Wii U and Switch but bought BOTW for Wii U before she got her Switch

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

God damnit I really want to see the story and characters but musou games are literally the most boring poo poo on earth for me :(

I’m sure all the cutscenes will be on YouTube shortly after release :shrug: I’m mainly in it for the story too, but just watching the scenes on YouTube would feel empty to me lol plus I’ve never played a musou game so I wanna give it a shot

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I would break my pledge to never have children and have several babies just so I could sell them in exchange for Switch ports of WW and TP

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

There have been rumors about this since the Wii U era, and I very much doubt it'll happen. They'd have to re-work the entire game for a new control scheme. Ditto Metroid Prime 3. They baked that Wiimote stuff into those games and they're not the kind of company that throws a lot of resources at remaking things. Particularly ones people didn't like as much as the stuff of which they can just do emulated ports.

If the Joycons could act as tiny Wiimotes, as people keep saying, we'd have a re-release of Wii Sports by now.

They ported Mario Galaxy over pretty decently, I think the Joy-Cons actually work pretty well as tiny Wiimotes 🤷‍♂️

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

https://i.imgur.com/bBsr92N.mp4
My dumb death of the day. Sometimes life comes at you fastTM

:lol:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk4uGUrM868&t=38s

Goddamn that Rito Village music is so good when their Wind Waker theme kicks in, I think it's my favorite in the game. I know more ambient music makes sense for the game overall, but pretty much all my favorite moments are when they actually do stuff with the older, more traditional themes.

The music for Dragon Roost Island is probably my favorite track in the entire franchise (and WW’s soundtrack as a whole for that matter) so I was stoked that they found a way to bring it back

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

No Untold Chronicles trailer today?

Guess Nintendo’s finally going under, for real this time guys

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

lunar detritus posted:

I'm loving the age of calamity demo even if I'm not sure how I feel about the game seemingly being an alternate timeline.

Yeah I’m not too sure about this either. I bought the game specifically to see the Calamity, not to somehow avoid it.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

The last story mode level of Age of Calamity should just be an endurance level with an infinite tsunami of guardians until they kill all the other main characters, and when you finally lose all your health as Link he is rescued at the last second by Zelda's magic and stuck in the shrine of resurrection.

I legit think (and hope) it’ll be something like this, followed by Zelda going to deal Ganon in Hyrule Castle as the closing shot

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I’d imagine we will at least get barebones ports of OoT, MM, and WW a la Mario 3D All-Stars now that Nintendo has in-house emulators to do so, I read somewhere that someone already cracked the Wii emulator and got Twilight Princess running on it fairly well

HD remakes of all would be preferred though, now that Nintendo’s not in so much of a rush to get it out the door like with SM3dAS

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

I haven’t really had to itch to playthrough Link’s Awakening again although I’ll probably buy it on sale but I would stupidly pay full price for Windwaker on Switch in a heartbeat

:same: if it’s the HD version. I already have the original but poo poo, I’d pay full price to get a better version on a better console

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

YggiDee posted:

Those are some mighty tempting spoiler bars up there.

Tell me about it lol

Better stay away from this thread next time I start drinking

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

romanowski posted:

naively went to resetera to look up spoilers and instead I was greeted with people writing hundreds of words explaining how nintendo lying to us is what led to trump

:trumppop:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Got a call from my game store, they got my copy of AoC a day early and I can swing by whenever to get it :woop:

...too bad I’m working until well after they close :eng99:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

AoC owns bones, holy poo poo

Also I can’t help but feel like the cutscene in Korok forest where Link gets the Master Sword and we see Zelda look at her own empty hand just reinforces my belief that Nintendo is building us up to playable Zelda, either in BOTW2 or, hell, they may even make it a trilogy and give us playable Zelda in BOTW3

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Kassad posted:

No enemies, the whole game is running around BotW's Hyrule with the overall objective of rebuilding Hyrule Castle and the town (and other abandoned towns along the way). Like Tarrey Town but more in depth with different materials being needed instead of just wood. Also give the people living in settlements their own routine over X days and maybe they have problems you need to solve so they move to the town or build something or start producing some materials you need.

Or maybe do have enemies but "combat" is just siccing Link on them.

This would seriously be a loving kick rear end spin-off, someone get their uncle that works at Nintendo on the line

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Yeah I think Frat Boy Link is my favorite short clip so far

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I don't like BotW much and it's known but BotW Zelda is probably my favorite up there with Tetra

It feels weird to have Link just Be There but more it went on the more I was like yeah I'm fine with her taking the lead completely. I'm not sure how they could ever make link anywhere near as interesting moving forward if they refuse to have him talk. More interested in the others (though I still like the gags with him)

Gotta say I agree, BotW Zelda is my favorite Zelda, even if her story arc is just one existential meltdown after another

Her "burgeoning scholar" side is loving adorable and I am here for it

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Augus posted:

I also found Zelda's english voice to be a lot more tolerable in Age of Calamity. Her delivery is a lot less soft and overly-breathy

They had to do something to make up for how comically clumsy Impa's voice acting and dialogue turned out :v: (I'm seriously convinced the English localizers just fed her early-game lines through Google Translate)

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

Today I learned that BOTW only lets you use 100 stamps. I’d been stamping all the rare monsters on my map and ran out, lol. Had to delete all the guardian stamps I stuck in and around Hyrule castle.

Understandable, it’s easy to forget that there are guardians around Hyrule Castle

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

Gotcha. I must have misremembered the original, because I just took a look at the wiki and it seems like most of the characters only have color scheme swaps outside of the main crew. Would you recommend going with the original Definitive Edition or Age of Calamity? I played the story mode of the original Wii U release but not much past that.

If you enjoyed the gameplay of the original and the setting/style of BOTW, you’ll have a blast with Age of Calamity

There’s also a demo of you want to try it to make sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I'm glad I didn't find any spoilers for BOTW beforehand (and I didn't even get it until 2019), I had no idea what the gently caress a Hinox/Lynel/Talus/etc was until I randomly stumbled upon them and found out the hard way that I was woefully underprepared to handle any of them

Killing my first Lynel after what felt like 100+ deaths was honestly a more satisfying feeling than beating the entire goddamn game