Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I thought the weapon durability system might be a pain in the rear end, but after watching it I really really dig it

This comparison might seem out there, but I get strong Hotline Miami vibes from the whole thing. They have the right level of "disposability" while still being vital and useful, and I imagine it'll encourage players to be aggressive and opportunistic - which is also a recent trend in action games

I'm concerned with how they'll handle a permanent weapons. To go back to Hotline Miami, the 'dance of weapons' was a lot less vital when you had a Tony mask and your fists were a source of permanent OHKO. Perhaps the master sword is so rusted and damaged it'll continuously break and you need to use your special Sheikah iPhone to time-magic it back together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I hope you can kiss Ganon

i hope you can kiss the old man

Kiss that horse too

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Astro7x posted:

I don't know how I feel about all these new aspects to Zelda. Cooking food, crafting, wearing appropriate clothing for the climate you are in. Game will be amazing, but this new stuff just seems so odd to me.

Also, these fuckers are going to make me get Twilight Princess to get wold link aren't they?

There was one part of the stream where they were trying to pick up a skeleton arm with a full inventory. For about a full minute there was a brief period of inventory screen hell as they tried to discard a weapon to make room only to accidentally pick it back up and repeat. It was a mess, and I had a brief pang of panic where I thought, "man, are we sure we want a Zelda game where you need to juggle an inventory?"

They showed off enough cool poo poo that I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt that these systems will all click together, but yeah, it's an awful lot of new stuff at once to a series that has been fairly even keeled for the last decade and a half

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

According to this article it's possible to beat the game without actually finishing the story

http://www.polygon.com/e3/2016/6/15/11942652/legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-ending

That's pretty wild for a Zelda. I guess it implies that story content and "main thread" content are very different from each other. Hard to wrap my head around that unless the story is heavily tied to the shrines whereas the main thread ("Kill Ganon"?) is tied to the dungeons?

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm pretty impressed by the enemy AI so far, even for the filler types. Could make combat actually sort of fun!

This is more bad luck on the player's part, but look at this bokoblin completely own this dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMs2tLKK088&t=384s

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Yeah, the plateau is definitely the "tutorial area" but on the Treehouse stream Bill said that you can pick whatever side you want to jump off on, and because of the sheer size of everything you'll be pretty committed to that direction for at least the start of the game

I would hope for their sake that the systems they design are fairly area agnostic. I'm actually betting on some sort of central hub that acts as your home base that you can do your business in - cash in spirit orbs, buy or repair weapons, collect 100 butterflies, whatever

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Also judging by the way the accounts are acting this is the guy who tried/is/will dump the demo. Yeah, a seventeen year old. The impetus of youth and all that.

Edit: Also ALSO judging by this post there won't be any tears shed by the hacking community if he gets caught and there's any actual consequences for him.

I still don't even get why we are believing any of this. The kiosks are clearly under lock and key, there are Nintendo reps everywhere that watch you like a hawk, the "Home" button is probably disabled as it is for any demo kiosk

but maybe most damning of all is that the WiiU OS is terrible and copying a large file can take ages. he'd have to go at least half an hour without anyone noticing his kiosk is not on Zelda

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Nickoten posted:

I sure hope it does, because I think Zelda is a game that could really work well with plot being a discoverable commodity.

That's a really cool way to phrase that and I hope that's exactly how they implement the story

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

yeah i dunno how people are already decided on a thing like this, we know next to nothing about the nx's price or launch titles or inevitable controller gimmick

I would be really surprised if the NX version isn't superior in some objective manner - better resolution, better textures generally, better frame rate, something like that. I want to experience the "best" version of the game, and if they're identical in terms of feature or function then that leaves hardware power as the decider

I guess if it ends up being pure handheld or pure VR I may reconsider, but the WiiU is a sinking ship and tbh I'm pretty pumped at starting anew with a sweet Zelda

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

We'll see. This is the first article I've seen that's speculated he's talking about graphics - everything else i've heard has speculated he was answering in a "this isn't a Twilight Princess situation" sort of way

The game was looking pretty rough at spots in the demo in terms of some textures, incredibly bad pop-in, and visible chugging. I'd be shocked if there wasn't some benefit to the NX version, even if it's an indirect one like "yeah i guess we have more RAM now so maybe offload more poo poo there to minimize HDD reads"

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I want to know more about that colossal Stalfos wandering around.

probably my favorite thing about this new Zelda is how it looks to be a Greatest Hits of various motifs and designs over the years. The moment I saw it I immediately thought of Captain Keeta from Majora's Mask

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Gorgolflox posted:

Link not being able to punch is a travesty and I demand that Nintendo fix this right now.

Also add in boxing gloves.

maybe there's a Sheikah Slate upgrade that gives you a sock filled with rocks

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Pooperscooper posted:

I really wish Zelda would include a difficulty slider, since playing them from the original I feel like they can't keep pace anymore. Last few have been super easy and simple in terms of combat.

I agree, but even if they don't then the demo definitely implies they are ditching the old model of "just about everything does .5 - 1 heart of damage". Guardians do like 7 hearts from the get-go or something crazy like that, as did that stone golem thing

That's my ideal difficulty "curve" in a zelda - I can live with the trash giving me partial hearts worth of damage if the big, scary attacks actually feel big and scary

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I could stomach the existence of DLC in Zelda if it wasn't for the timing of the releases. 3+ months later for hard mode? Who is that for? In 3 months you either just finished a massive game that you have no intention of replaying immediately, or you're still plucking away at it

If they follow the "Witcher model" with story DLC than that could be real cool, but isn't it weird that an entirely new dungeon is coming out months after we all beat it? Is it post-game content? Will I have to start over?

Nintendo has a stellar track record for DLC so they've absolutely earned the benefit of the doubt, but story DLC in Zelda is just a bummer

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I don't understand how I am supposed to enjoy this DLC 3 months after release, I will have already beaten the game and thrown it in the trash by that point. Really missing the ball by not having this available at launch, like most people want. Good job Nintendo.

The only DLC you'll get in 3 months is Hard Mode, duder, and it'll (likely) require you to restart the game. It's funny because 3 months is at once both too soon and too far for that

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Is this thread doing that thing where the Entire Internet is having one reaction so it feels compelled to have the exact opposite one? It's really weird to see people not only defending it, but doing it so with arguments such as "no one is FORCING you to buy it"

dude, that's an argument that a literal toddler would feel embarrassed about bringing to the table. if that's all you got then maybe that says something

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Yeah, the handling of the announcement is definitely what sent me from mildly annoyed to being internet angry.

There's no mental model for any of this. I cannot think of a single dungeon in any previous Zelda game that I would have paid even $10 for, let alone $20, and I've never once heard of paying for a difficulty option, especially not a couple months after release

I'm willing to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt because MK8 DLC was fantastic, and maybe once I play the game it'll all make sense, but they didn't even try to justify it. I'm dropping $400 to play a game that's been delayed 2 years, and 2 weeks before I get it they're asking for more money without explaining what i'll get for it

Hopefully no matter how you feel about DLC you can agree that this is a bad look

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Kyton should open a stable just for monster mounts

god, this is so good and obvious and now i'm mad that it isn't already implemented

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I know the important news is the delay, but that tatted up, wild man-looking Link holding an extremely hosed Master Sword is sending my mind ablaze with possibilities

also, how weird is it that they're still afraid to share the title for (ostensibly?) spoilery reasons, yet they're unafraid to drop something like that amid old footage in a delay announcement?

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m asking in good faith and not as a troll: what are people expecting performance wise for this game? I feel like people are expecting a continuous over world that seamlessly blends into either a floating sky city or expansive underground open world areas without loading screens while maintaining AND improving upon the graphical fidelity of Breath of the Wild. Is this possible? To what degree? How much more horsepower can Nintendo wring out of 6-7 year old hardware?

(Asking as someone who is committed to preordering no hesitation)

The Switch has (unfortunately) bucked this tradition more than a few times, but in general performance and graphical look of games should actually go up - perhaps even dramatically - the longer a console goes on. Dev tools get more polished, optimization tricks become more well known, cleaner firmware, and so on.

But that hasn't really happened with the Switch. We also haven't had many same-generation sequels, so we also can't really compare things apples-to-apples

I think XB3 will tell us a lot. Monolith is famous for wringing every ounce of power from low-specced hardware, they've worked on BotW1 and 2, and the game is at least comparable in size and scope to BotW2. If XB3 is a framey disaster, then yeah, BotW2 is totally hosed. If it runs well, then I'd be super optimistic

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

The world is essentially paused while on the Great Plateau. I don't think it'll even rain

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Vookatos posted:

I've seen people say this and I feel like people misremember something. It's like 40 hours long if you know what you're doing, a bit longer than any Zelda aside from BotW. I think it's the pacing with Orochi being a third of the game that makes it feel so long.
And frankly, it's all good (Issun could maybe shut up sometimes, but the text scroll is super fast), so I don't mind

It's not just the length, it's all the false endings (both literal and implied), so you're repeatedly preparing to wrap things up and then whoops go fight Orochi again or whatever

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

god Groose was the best

I remember all these early fan series speculating connections to Ganondorf / Gerudo due to the hair color. Instead he's the biggest dork rival they've created and, not coincidentally, the best one

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

The Hobbit is one of the most important fantasy novels ever created. It's impossible to overstate its influence and impact as a work of art

It has also been updated almost to the point of a total rewrite no less than three times since its initial 1937 release. In the first release, the ring Bilbo finds is just a plain old magic ring, not the One Ring. Gollum is a pretty nice guy and he helps Bilbo out and they part ways as friends. Elves are silly tricksters or total assholes ala Shakespearean elves, high elves are called gnomes, there are anachronisms like clocks and matchsticks, and the coin purse Bilbo tries to steal off a troll yells out in alarm like something out of Harry Potter

You could dig your heels in and claim that the 1937 1st edition is the only one worth reading, and that preferring the later editions is on par with cultural vandalism. But it takes only the tiniest bit of context of Tolkien's history to understand the how's and why's of the situation, and any attempts to dismiss later editions or to consider them lesser pieces of art is absolutely absurd

and if The Hobbit is allowed patches and remakes and a big 2.0 update that ties it to its sequel, then so can games

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

New Zelda comes out this year

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

One thing that can be said about BotW - that can't be said by almost any other game, save for Elden Ring and a few others in the past - is that nearly all of its weaknesses are on purpose, by design

Its dungeons are lame precisely because it's not a game where dungeons are meant to be important. It's not that they prioritized them and failed in their creation, it's that they were a lower priority and treated accordingly. Similarly with other things like enemy variety

That surely sounds pedantic, but the reason BotW is so drat special is that they focused the lion's share of their design and development on the things that were most important for the kind of game it wanted to be. We can picture and theorize a BotW that has Zelda-style dungeons or more unique enemy encounters, but translating that to reality means they would have had to shift their priorities and cause the areas they mastered to suffer, be less perfect

It has plenty of faults, but these weaknesses are what enabled the designers create one of the best games of all times.

It'll be interesting to see what TOTK wants to be, because my gut tells me it'll be more Zelda-like but be lesser in terms of what BOTW accomplished, and in doing so will produce a classic gamer argument that will last for decades

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Gonna wildly speculate that we'll get a big, chunky new trailer that clarifies the important bits before January is done and then the big blowout bonanza in like, March

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Like BOTW before it, TOTK seems to drawing its references from a near equal blend of all the previous games. In BOTW this was mostly relegated to area names and easter eggs, so it'll be interesting to see if they're more explicit about it

I hope they are, I like that sort of world building

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Judge Tesla posted:

You can sum up BOTW's backstory as "One day Ganon appeared and destroyed Hyrule" that's it, things were near utopian until G-Day.

I'm fine with alt-history and time meddling, its not like this is a new concept for the franchise after all.

I think you might be mixing up the pre-backstory backstory (10,000 years ago, the tale told via the tapestry) and the more immediate backstory, which is far more interesting and ripe for expanding upon

in short, the kingdom knew that Ganon was returning, but they were completely unprepared. They no longer had any knowledge of the technology that once saved them (because they exiled the sheikah for fear of their power), and the queen died unexpectedly before she could pass down her teachings to Zelda, so in desperation they tried to mimic that exact steps that saved their ancestors by any means necessary

The result was unearthing ancient tech they had no idea how to control (and was turned against them) and Zelda's doomed pilgrimage

honestly the prequel should have 100% been about Zelda, BOTW laid so much interesting foundation there to explore: the sudden death of her mother, the awful relationship with her dad, how her own subjects viewed her as a failure, her strained relationship with Link, being devoted to technology over divine magic, etc.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

yeah, the most simple answer is that Zelda is once again in peril and out of the picture, and at best she'll maybe become a part of the game around the middle instead of the very end

But it's interesting that we've seen both directly-after-BOTW Link and wildman Link with long hair and more tribal looking clothes. They get nearly equal screen time in the trailers, yet with the latter they've gone out of their way to hide their face and other details, implying that there's a twist there. and there's the running motif of time travel, or at least time working backwards

so maybe there's some sort of perspective switching, or something else in that vein, and in that sort of game an involved Zelda feels more likely. she'd be the pivot that the other perspectives or Links or whatever revolve around

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Water Temple is uniquely frustrating because each individual problem feeds into the others, making them even worse. Having to open your inventory all the time wasn't just annoying, it made it actively harder to build and maintain a mental map of where you were going. So you'd get lost more often, and maybe you'd accidentally trigger the wrong water level or take the wrong turn, so you'd have to open your inventory more, getting even more lost, and so on

Also the whole "you can get permanently stuck if you use small keys wrong" rumor was one of the only other times beyond pokemon in which an online rumor made it to my school. it ultimately wasn't true, but it could definitely feel possible at times, and contributed to the idea that the temple was just plain broken and not hard in a game design way

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

both the European and Australian official Twitter accounts tweeted it. They tend to be a bit 'looser' with PR stuff than their American counterparts for whatever reason, so maybe you shouldn't read too much into it, but I'm choosing to believe

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

There are a few ways they could keep the overall design of BotW while also having item abilities. My preferred method would be for (many) puzzles to have intended and signposted solutions via specific items, but the game would never restrict you from solving them with your core toolset, even if it takes some innovative or hacky solutions

This is a very immersive sim-esque design philosophy (particularly recent examples like Prey 2 and Dishonored 2), and I think it'd work brilliantly with a BotW style Zelda game

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

No matter what they do in terms of slate powers or item abilities or whatever, it'd be neat to see the return of environmental items, like bomb flowers and bees and horse grass and deku nuts. Most of the time those items were redundant or temporary and meant to be replaced by a permanent dungeon item, but honestly they gave a lot of personality to areas and I miss them

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

Bring back the Ocarina of Time and let you travel back to various old Zelda games to get the MacGuffins, bring in the Zelda 2 dungeon

lol I'm actually surprised they haven't done something like this before. I guess it's commendable they've resisted doing something that would probably feel pretty hacky, but it also feels like such an obvious thing given all the time traveling and portal jumping we've accepted over the years

one of the coolest moments of my entire gamer career was going under the sea in WW. that wasn't actually OoT's castle, but it felt like it could be, and the idea of using in-world magic to travel back to the world of a previous game to get something important was so god drat epic and I've been chasing that feeling ever since

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Winifred Madgers posted:

I both loved and hated that. When it happened I thought it was going to do the light/dark world kind of thing, and when it turned out not to be, I was so disappointed. It's why I can never rank WW as highly as many people do.

yeah, I spent many hours forlornly staring out at the countryside from that one bridge thinking there MUST be more to it than just the castle

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

The next 2D Zelda will be Adventures of Link 2.

The Adventure of Link remake in the style of Samus Returns feels inevitable to me

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Jetamo posted:

If Tarrey Town isn't in Tears of the Kingdom I will be saddened. Do you know how much wood that place cost me?! :argh:

at the start of the game it's gone and everyone fears it was destroyed by the return of Ganondorf, but lo! It was merely raised up into the sky and now they need an additional 500 bundles of wood for a really tall ladder which will be built by Bolson and his husband, Greyson

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I still get a little misty eyed when I watch the Twilight Princess reveal because it transports me instantly back to being 15 years old and feeding off the energy from that crowd. I must have rewatched that thing no less than 50 times

Never thought it'd be topped, but then that BotW trailer absolutely melted by brain

Zelda trailers, man

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

definitely won't be cancelled. the one remaining benefit of preordering on Amazon is that they honor the lowest price no matter what it is or how long the product takes to come out. my oldest 'active' order on my account is from 2017 and it's Metroid Prime 4 with that 20% discount they used to offer for preorders

I placed a preorder on Amazon just to lock in the price because I figured they'd update it tomorrow. I'll probably cancel it and just do the voucher thing, with my wife and son playing the Switch now it's actually pretty annoying to swap out carts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

lunar detritus posted:

lol at everyone (me) hoping for more zelda, probably going to get buried underground in the first cutscene.

I'm surely reading too much into it, but there were a few clips in the trailer that implied Zelda having greater involvement. The whole "I don't think you can defeat him" and "Please, lend me your power" could both be read as her taking more of a leading role, sort of of a "courage is not enough to defeat him this time" type of story beat

Also interesting the deliberate camera work suggesting Link bails on fighting Ganondorf in order to prioritize saving Zelda

my current gamer theory is that Zelda is in Link's arm somehow, sort of a combination of Spirit Track's Zelda and Liquid Snake