Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I'm watching the Twitch stream and it looks okay, certainly doesn't seem unplayable as far as frame rate goes. There are some drops, but nothing too bad overall and the NX version is probably going to run better anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

tsob posted:

The European cover art is annoying too, though mostly because Link is looking back over his shoulder in a rather cheesy way.
At least he's not trying to ride out of the shot like he is on the European OoT3D cover.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Basically the game uses a strict vsync mode, if it can maintain 30fps it will stick rigidly to it and pace the frames really cleanly, but if the game dips even one frame, the game will lock itself to 15 frames per second, because that way it still alternate even frames on the television's refresh rate (15FPS is 25% of 60hz). It's chuggy but it's consistent.
Huh, I guess that's why the game feels like it's running at 15 fps in Kakariko. I'm on Wii U, but I assume that version uses the same vsync implementation.

I had very few performance issues in the first 4-5 hours, but then I entered the village and felt like I was in Blighttown all of a sudden.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Harrow posted:

In the same video, when they has the portable version as the whole frame instead of half of the video, it looked fine. I have no idea what happened in that part to make the contrast go nuts like that.
They say in the video that you can't capture direct footage from the Switch in portable mode, so they filmed the screen for the side-by-side frame rate comparison. Every fullscreen shot of portable mode in the video was captured with the Switch's screenshot tool, so it obviously looks much better.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Selling monster parts is a good way to make a bunch of cash, because you end up with a couple hundred rupees' worth of moblin asses every time you finish exploring. Of course you can also use those to cook elixirs, but I haven't really bothered with that very much.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

Putting them into elixers like triples their value, also there is a vendor that gives special items for trading in monster parts so selling individual parts for ruppees is the worst thing you can do with them.
Well dammit, I read in this thread earlier that selling that poo poo is totally fine if you don't make a lot of elixirs. :saddowns: I guess I should start picking up all those small critters so I have something to make those elixirs from...

I don't think I've found that merchant, either. I know some monster bits are used for upgrading armor, but that's about it.

edit: obviously I'm not selling any of the rare drops, just the basic lizalfos tails and such that are easy to come by

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

If its the first Lyon you find in Zora, you're not supposed to fight him. Discretion is the better part of valor!
No, he is an abomination and needs to die. :black101:

I may have had to use all my best healing items, several weapons and a bunch of fairies, but that jerk went down.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I kept dodging and hitting him with flurry counters. That three swing combo of his is quite easy to avoid and the timing for the counter isn't super tight.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Fairies revive you with five hearts, I think.

Also, is this the first time Lynels show up in a 3D Zelda game? They were in the original LoZ and did pretty much what they do here (gently caress your poo poo up when you wander into the wrong place early on) and I think they were in LttP as well, but I don't remember ever fighting a centaur lion man in one of the 3D games.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

So here I am, doing the shrine next to Gerudo Town and wondering what the hell it is I'm missing. I clearly need four metal objects to direct the electricity all the way across the right side of the room, but there's only two barrels and one box and there is no way that'll be enough. So, I run around for several minutes like a headless chicken, trying out different stuff but nothing's helping...

...Hold on, wasn't that treasure chest made of metal?

:downsgun:

And that, I guess, is why the shrine's challenge is called "The Whole Picture". I feel like a complete idiot for forgetting about the chest.

edit: I wonder if I could've just thrown a sword on the floor at the right spot.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Feb 7, 2018

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Yep, I realized that right after I posted, and went back to try dropping my Gerudo scimitar next to the circuits.

Now I feel even more like an idiot.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I also liked the "Directing the Wind" one, where instead of messing around with the wind I just placed the ball next to the recess and knocked it in with one of the metal boxes while standing on the platform it activates.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 8, 2018

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Well then, I got the Master Sword, Hylian Shield and the ancient armor (except for the helm because it looks silly).

Guardians used to be terrifying, now I hunt them down for sport and those glorious ancient materials inside their robo-guts. RIP AND TEAR :unsmigghh:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Man, I'm really glad I went in mostly blind when I first played BotW on Wii U around launch. I got distracted by other stuff after finishing my first Divine Beast and didn't play the game again until I got a Switch this year, and while I'm still doing things blind for the most part I obviously know a lot more about the game than I did a year ago.

I remember heading to the Faron area really early on the Wii U, getting the idea that I probably shouldn't be here but gently caress it, I am here so let's see what I can find. Then, as I was exploring, Farosh suddenly emerged from the pond next to me and blasted lightning all over the place. :stonkhat: Obviously I know now that the dragons are pretty chill and mostly there for a couple of shrine quests and item farming, but at that point I had no idea there even were dragons in the game and I'm pretty sure I actually yelled "HOLY loving poo poo" at the TV.

That bit of exploring eventually ended when I got struck by lightning, because it was the first thunderstorm I had seen in the game and didn't realize I maybe shouldn't be carrying all this metal crap around in such weather.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I'm also at the point where I've beaten all the Divine Beasts, and while part of me wants to go fight Ganon already I think I'll keep exploring some more. Don't know if I'll bother to do every single shrine (I've done about 60 thus far) but there's still plenty of stuff out there I want to check out.

Plus, if I go fight Ganon right now, I just know my Hylian Shield will break during the fight (I've been loving up quite a few Guardian laser parries with it, so its durability must be pretty low by now) and we can't have that. I need to do more shieldsurfing and laser tanking, so that this thing breaks and I can buy a new one. Sure, I could probably just throw it away and buy a replacement and save some time that way, but where's the fun in that?

alf_pogs posted:

can you believe that with 140+ hours i only just did the three hinox sibling shrine
the what

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

To be fair, getting a replacement Hylian Shield requires completing a lengthy, seemingly unrelated sidequest, and knowing that doing said sidequest spawns an NPC that sells rare armor and the shield and that the shield won't appear in his inventory until you lose your original one.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Started doing the Trials of the Sword. I'm so used to being a murder god that when they took away all my stuff, I barely got through the beginner trials. :gonk:

I think I'll come back later for the next set of trials, this is too stressful to deal with in one go.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Sure, it's unrelated but to be honest I found it to be one of the most compelling and satisfying storylines of the entire game.
Yeah, absolutely. I really liked the quest and would've completed it even if I didn't know doing it would help me get a new (or repaired, whatever) Hylian Shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

You can shatter the cubes with Cryonis. If you use Stasis on one of the cubes, you can knock it back at him and leave him open to further attacks.
Wait, you can stasis those things?

I mean, I knew that my "spam arrows and occasionally whack him with a sword" strategy couldn't be the intended way to fight Waterblight Ganon because it was taking forever, but I never thought about using Stasis on his ice blocks. :eng99: (did at least use Cryonis, though)