Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Switch supports 1080p docked, Zelda just chooses to render at 900p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I'm ok with a bold-horrible framerate. Bold-italic-horrible though? That's where I get off the train

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Snuffman posted:

Since all the reviews I'm seeing seem to focus on the Switch, I haven't seen this answered for the WiiU.

Is there anything on the tablet screen when playing? Map? Inventory? I really liked managing my inventory on the tablet in Windwaker and Twilight HD.

Still image of a Nintendo Switch

acksplode
May 17, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Also. I can't believe this game doesn't let you use fires to wait out a storm.
You can, you just have to find shelter from the rain first. A protruding bit of rock somewhere is usually enough to let you start a fire.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Still seeing dropped frames running around Korok Forest in TV mode but it's definitely better.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

If you didn't immediately take on that Lynel and go through half your food and weapons doing it, you a bitch

acksplode
May 17, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Is the reward for doing the forest trials actually cool? If not I think I'm just gonna move on.

Doing all the forest trials gets you some truffles. And then the Korok who gives them to you laughs at you for expecting something more

acksplode
May 17, 2004

BotW has given me Video Games Depression. I thought I had a backlog of awesome games to get back to after beating Ganon, but now it all looks like mush. I'm trying to play Nier: Automata and it's not holding my attention. Other games feel so constrained and contrived now, like playing something from an older console generation.

fennesz posted:

Has Nintendo commented on making amiibo items available as DLC? Not only are some of the amiibos disgustingly expensive, but I really don't need kitchy plastic bullshit in my house.

Buy a cheap NFC tag on Amazon and spoof that poo poo.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Shield damage from Guardian lasers definitely changes based on whether you're blocking or reflecting. I can reflect a bunch of lasers with a Knight's Shield, but it'll disappear if it eats just one shot. Maybe parrying melee attacks works the same way?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Spergatory posted:

You're talking about parrying. Parrying always does zero damage to the shield. I'm just talking about what happens when you stand there holding block. The Ancient Shield automatically reflects Guardian lasers regardless of whether or not you parry. The only thing that changes is whether or not the shield is damaged in process.

Harrow posted:

It does, but the Ancient Shield reflects Guardian lasers as if you parried them even if you're just regular blocking. It's possible that somehow counts as parrying the laser specifically for that shield?

Yeah the impression I'm getting is that the Ancient Shield has auto-parry for the Guardian you've locked onto. So it makes sense that if you're taking a bunch of lasers from different Guardians at once, only one will get the parry, the rest will be blocked, and your shield will take a lot of damage.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

lovely Wizard posted:

True. I mean CEMU seems to be at a point where the game isn't a hot mess anymore now, but using speedhacks on an emulator is probably the issue rather than the emulator itself.

There's no telling what quirks in a game this open, dynamic, and physics-driven might be due to bugs in the emulator. Dude was complaining about animals disappearing quickly, a bug that I've not heard of anyone experiencing on the intended hardware. If you're emulating, maybe put a disclaimer at the top of your list of complaints. You are not using a consumer product anymore, you are messing around with an unfinished reverse engineering project.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

HERAK posted:

Technically not. That is an accurate translation and best reflects the content in it's original language. The difference is between a translation and interpretation. A translator will translate directly and almost literally from one language to an other. An interpreter will take the meaning and intent from one language and make you understood in the other language. It's up to the player to recognise this and understand the cultural and linguistic viewpoint of the authors.
Nah, that's why they call it localization and not translation. Nintendo didn't just run this poo poo through Google Translate. If "10,000 years" was supposed to mean something other than a roughly 10k years span of time, that should've been localized to an equivalent English idiom. It's not my fault for not being educated on idiomatic Japanese.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The Lobster posted:

So, did you wake up BECAUSE the world was going to poo poo, or did your waking up CAUSE the world to go to poo poo?

It's BECAUSE. Zelda wakes you up and I think it's the King who explains that she's getting weaker and has been forced to pull you out of the oven.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Was anyone else surprised at the end when Zelda was still alive? I was expecting to find her spirit holding back Ganon at Hyrule Castle, kinda like the other Champions, and I think that might've made for a better ending. More melancholic and bittersweet, it would've been more touching and fit better with the rest of the game. And it would've added an emotional importance in going back and finding all your memories of her. Man I'm bumming myself out just writing this. Nintendo hire me

acksplode fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 5, 2017

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I took a really long time with Vah Ruta (elephant) because I got stuck on stopping the smaller water wheel with a terminal inside it, and I refused to look up the answer since I felt like I was missing something obvious. I'm embarrassed at how long it took me to figure it out, but yeah I would've felt really stupid had I googled it.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Reinanigans posted:

Wondering if anyone had thoughts on this.

I had the same observation -- it's definitely conspicuous that the triforce isn't mentioned at all when it's a mcguffin for like half the series. I just take it as a hint that this Zelda is so far into the future that even core parts of the legend are starting to fade from collective memory. It also serves as meta commentary on how this Zelda presents a strong break with series tradition.

I've watched a couple speedruns where people don't get a horse before they fight Ganon, and it looks like the game just spawns a random one for you.

I was also disappointed that the Master Sword wasn't more important for taking down Ganon. Hell, the Divine Beasts just chop his health in half, big whoop. IMO Ganon should have been way more difficult and required a fundamentally more tricky strategy to defeat if you didn't spend dozens of hours assembling your ~squad~.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

grilldos posted:

Or we can continue to just enjoy the vague themes and imagery and sleep soundly at night.

Talking about them is a safe and fun way to enjoy them!

andipossess posted:

I assume that it's far enough into the future, and that the Triforce has been passed down through the royal bloodline long enough, that the family only knows about it as the "Sealing Power". I think they mention that Zelda's grandmother had the magic, and I think maybe her mother did, too, though that kind of confuses me as to how that bloodline is being passed down. It's also not really clear if the power Zelda was actually trying to awaken is at all related to the Hylia power from Skyward Sword.

On another note, I really hope Nintendo eventually clears up the "Triforce-wielding monarchy" bit of the timeline. It'd be interesting to know how that works, like how it's passed down and what-not.

I thought the game was pretty clear about Zelda's power. People repeatedly reference Zelda having the "blood of the Goddess Hylia", which is a clear reference to the bit of lore established by Skyward Sword. When Impa tells the tale of what went down 10,000 years ago, she includes that bit in the legend. Zelda's mom had the sealing power as well as her grandma. In fact her mom was supposed to begin training her at age 7, but she died before she could start. That bit is from the King's journal in his hidden office in the Hyrule Castle library.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 11, 2017

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Maybe if you jerks took a moment to research Goron history before charging into their part of the world and loving with their stuff, you might realize how central bombs are to their society. Do any of you even realize that bombs are appropriated Goron culture?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Reinanigans posted:

Where do I see the percentage of how much of the game I've completed once I beat it? I have all the shrines, side quests, and shrine quests done.

Destroy Ganon, and then you'll have a save right outside his door in Hyrule Castle with a star on it. Load that and bring up your map and the completion percentage will be in the lower left hand corner.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The only completion % that matters is the one in your heart.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Real talk the maraca dance owns and I never skip it.

New equipment slots are nice, but I'm finding these korok seeds so I can see the maraca dance once more.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Trying my Master Sword against a Guardian for the first time and cutting off a leg by accident and watching the Guardian reel back as the music shifted tone from ominous to triumphant was a cool moment.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

It's interesting how little the Great Plateau changed. Looks like they designed that area as their trial "open world" before doing the rest.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah looks like Kakariko got moved west at some point.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The Jack Chop Guy posted:

50 bucks says they wanted to embrace the Switch's partial role as a portable console so the dungeon experience was broken up into bite size puzzles as shrines that you could hypothetically do on the go, with only 4 proper "dungeons" as the beasts

$100 says they made that design decision before the Switch was a twinkle in Kimishimi's eye.

Some people say BotW doesn't have any dungeons, but my perspective is that it has one gigantic sprawling Kyoto-sized dungeon.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

MokBa posted:

Can we talk about freeing Naydra for a second? That's one of my absolute favorite set pieces in the game, and I finally figured out why. The first time I did it, I climbed up the regular path all the way to the top, just ascending the mountain for the sack of itself. It was still very early in my playthrough; I hadn't even defeated any Divine Beasts. (I was also quite stoned and it was late that night, giving the whole thing a very dreamlike quality.)

I was playing BotW in bed and decided on a lark to see what's atop Lanayru before I passed out. Ended up freeing Naydra half-asleep with one eye shut. When I picked the game back up the following day I wasn't totally sure if it had happened, it felt so strange and magical. Perfect.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's in the Twilight Princess timeline, as indicated by Zelda's ceremonial speech with Link and the champions.

Yet it has Windwaker Koroks and other stuff from other timelines. The timelines collapsed and BotW is after all of them

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Thyrork posted:

The simple bliss this game's first four or so hours has given me is incredible, and I've not even left the bloody mesa.

Feel like playing OoT all over again. :unsmith:

That feeling is gonna stick for dozens of hours. I envy you :)

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I was really hoping hard mode would amount to BotW: Master Quest with stuff moved around. No way I'm replaying it just for spongier enemies.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

El Burbo posted:

I guess it's my fault for expecting some sweeping game changing stuff for hard mode but I'm quite disappointed it's as lame as my lowest expectations (give enemies more health)

It's Nintendo's fault for not explaining what Hard Mode was at the outset, since you can do it in a single breath. Tell me you're dropping a new Hard Mode but be cagey about what it entails for months and I'm going to expect more than an HP boost for enemies.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Runcible Cat posted:

Pfui. Link keeps coming back for more.

Link is stuck in a vicious cycle of armor precarity and dependence. He keeps coming back because he has no alternatives.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Mezzanine posted:

As promised, have some more codes!

Used S7BP39SCCNEYWZ3EVEFJ7G1 👍

acksplode
May 17, 2004

weird Asian candy posted:

We need climbing horses, imho

Here have mine

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Repeat it 3-4 times?!? That must have taken fives of minutes!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Augus posted:

the fact they programmed a failsafe for dropping the master sword is pretty awesome

This and the Blood Moon triggering whenever memory is low are really drat smart. It's impossible to make a game this big and emergent free of bugs, so they made the game recover gracefully from bugs, and work that recovery into the narrative so that you aren't completely pulled out of the game when it happens. This is the quality and attention to detail that's characteristic of Nintendo and that made me excited to see them take a swing at this genre.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

EnvyJ posted:

What?? please explain

People have observed that you can provoke a Blood Moon more quickly by killing enemies and destroying stuff -- causing effects that the game has to keep in memory. A Blood Moon resets the world's state, and people have seen it trigger more frequently than it ought to, and during the day. So it looks like it's a recovery mechanism that frees up memory and resets the world to a known "safe" state.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Wait, so you are never in the botw world post-Gannon defeat? It's always working off a pre-Gannon save but with a star because the game knows you already beat Gannon?

That's correct.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The odd thing is first time I cam across those ruins, one of the sections outside the temple looked like it was a duplicate of the castle courtyard where you meet Zelda in OOT. I was half expecting to be able to figure out the location of the maze and castle entrance from that, although it didn't match the instant I walked outside that one room :smith:

I thought the same exact thing when I found that spot right at the start of the game. They obviously took some liberties when translating the area to BotW but it's a nice touch that even some of the additions are subtle callbacks.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Kassad posted:

I don't know, the BotW map is still similar overall to the OoT one if you assume the Great Plateau is one of those inaccessible mountains in the southwest of the OoT map, between Gerudo Canyon and Lake Hylia.

The problem there is that the Great Plateau has several strong indications that it's the Hyrule Castle + Castle Town from OoT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I stayed away from the castle until the very end because it felt more like a hero's journey that way. Frodo wasn't sneaking in and out of Mordor stealing poo poo