Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

TheFluff posted:

I've been to about a dozen of these and agree with the recommendations in all cases. Can contribute Björneborg (in Värmland, not in Finnish Österbotten).

Speaking of this though, quick poll: how many people of my own generation and younger (say, born after 1985?) actually know what a länsbokstav is, or even better actually know which letter(s) corresponds to which county? I know it because I have a knack for remembering obscure and pointless trivia and also because of all the officious historical texts I work with, but they're hardly in common use these days and I don't remember learning about them in school.

Younger, I know of them, since my dog tag has länskod W engraved on it, coincidentally the only länskod i remember by heart. Otherwise haven't encountered länsbokstäver much at all, nothing I was taught in school.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

skipThings posted:

and never know the sweet touch of the sun for a few months

Beats overcast days with mud and slush.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
If I remember correctly that’s also how the Maoist robbers of Blekingegadeligan got a hold of some of their weapons, from Swedish weapon depots.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Zudgemud posted:

I thought hunting boar was real lovely due to the boars mostly being active at night, easily scared and the meat potentially tasting foul due to pig testosterone. Or is this more of a rig traps and shoot the whole family at once/pest control?

My neighbor hunts boar at night and the meat tastes delicious!

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Katt posted:

Even for paganism. Dancing around a shrubbery penis is a bit on the nose don't you think :v:

That's a myth though. Of all the things that have pagan roots in midsummer, the midsummer pole is not one of them. They also looked less phallic in the early modern when midsummer poles were more recent (the midsummer pole in Sweden is a late middle age German influence).

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 15, 2018

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Länsförsäkringar is otverwise a decent alternative.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
The Hansa were active supporters of the Swedish break-up from the Kalmar Union, especially Lubeck.

By that time Swedens and Denmarks foreign policy interests had diverged. No longer di they share any common enemies. Friendly relations with the hansa was in Swedens best interest (salt imports from Luneburg was very crucial), and their prospective enemies were the Teutonic order and Novgorod to the east.

Denmark oth wanted to curb Hanseatic power over the baltic trade, expand their influence in northern Germany, and had no qualms with the teutons and novgorodians (even selling Estonia to the teutonic order a century earlier).

The Hansa benefitted from a weaker Denmark, and without the aid of hanseatic gold, ships, cannons and mercenaries, the outcome of Swedish secession would be very much in doubt.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
I wish we could allow two last names (one from each parent) for those who wish it because hyphenated last names are ugly af (IMO).

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
If anything, referring to the Stormaktstiden only strenghtens Swedens case as a Baltic nation.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Stumbled upon Aron Flams twitter and good God, few ultraliberals are as annoying as him. Mostly due to his arrogant rhetoric and what i interpret as a very inflated opinion of his own intellectual prowess and perceived underdog status in contrast to his supposedly indoctrinated sheeple opponents. If "gymnasial" was in a dictionary, his face would be on the entry.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 6, 2020

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Katt posted:

I like the Greek thing where in court the jury was like 500 randos that direct democracy voted on your guilt by majority vote. And jury placement was drawn from a hat so no one knew who was going where or when.

I wonder if that's better of worse than what we have now.

I think they also had a ton of important elected offices with pretty strict term limits. Except commanders of the military which strikes me as a pretty major oversight.

In fact reading military history. It seems that soldiers castes/enforces have been universally a bad idea. Because when poo poo hits the fan. Professional soldiers are loyal to their unit and the person who controls the military controls the country. It's better when soldiers are part timers who have real jobs and duties. And that goes double for cops.

Not an oversight, as replacing experienced commanders after only a few years can be a detriment to military performance. Experience matters alot especially in Classical greece where many soldiers are amateurs and Athens realised this early. Athenian strategoi were subject to revision of how they handled their duties and performance, and if put up to vote could result in their sacking, or worse, condemned to death. Like when an Athenian fleet scored a great victory but in the aftermath failed to perform a rescue operation due to a storm. 8 generals were put on trial and executed.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Bard is such a pseudointellectual piece of poo poo.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Dude has shifted over the years and he likes his pretentious labels. He was more libertarian in the past but nowadays is more some weird flavour of contrarian alt-right. He has been reflexively
contrarian most of his public life, alt-right stuff is more recent. Extremely arrogant and the kind of person who thinks very highly of his own intellect relative to others, annoyingly pretentious. Got famous as a musician and music producer and since been on TV, either for his dumb political takes or in music talent shows.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 13, 2020

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
There’s also the raccoon dog, from east Asia that the soviet introduced on purpose in a bunch of places for fur trapping/hunting, most introductions failed but it did well in the baltics where it now threatens local wildlife, and since spread to Finland and eastern/Central Europe. So far, incursions into northern Sweden have been limited with some success by directed hunting. Radio tagging castraded males is a good reverse honeypot to find them.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 8, 2020

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Moved to Sweden when I was six and apparently I was folkbokförd with my second name as tilltalsnamn. an oversight stemming from my first and second name being in the reverse of the most common order I’m guessing. For a long time I got used to listening for my second name during roll calls/blood donations etc until I wrote to Skatteverket to change it and got fixed immediately. So now I get called out by my first name but it’s a more difficult name to pronounce, having my second name was easier.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Yeah in my local ICA yesterday there was a line outside with employees guarding the entrances and acting as bouncers (friday afternoon). So in your case probably employees on standby if they go over the allowed limit of people, usually happens in peak days/hours.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Lol i thought he had the good sense to jump ship from Bulletin but apparently i misremembered. Or did he get hired after the high profile writers left?

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Yeah i remember Filippa Reinfeldt (whos government opened up for the general privatization of the stockholm county healthcare m.m) and that health care center that the county privatized for literally the price of the building and the material in it, less than a million kr, and got resold for a cool 20 million. And after resigning got a cool well-playing gig at the private health care provider Aleris.

Stuff that just makes my blood boil. And now he have Svinonius and her scandals, among them the limitless county budget for consultants for the construction of the new hospital NKS, while her husband was the lead of procurement for that. For that conflict of interest her response was that they simply dont talk about work at home. Stockholmers keep voting for these bloodsuckers though.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 6, 2021

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Wait what? First time i hear about this other meaning of sambo (im swedish).

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 9, 2021

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
There is also an obvious conflict of interest regarding the wolves and the reindeer herding rights of the Sami. If you would just look at a distribuition map of wolves in Sweden it looks odd. They all basically exist in middle Sweden, even though they are the descendants of migrated finnish and russian wolves. But there are basically no wolf pairs in Nothern Sweden, which covers more than half the country and stands between the Swedish and fennorussian wolves. Samis are typically granted skyddsjakt permissions as they threaten their reindeer herding. If they havent also been illegally shot any point wolves have crossed over.

Right or wrong, it is a rather odd situation for the wolf populations. All of Swedens wolves are in middle sweden, closest relatives otherwise exist in norway, finland and russia. But the vast expanse of boreal forest and mountains in the large stretch of the country between finland and swedish wolf-territories are essentially wolf-free.

Tricky situation with how things stand with the Sami especially with Swedens historical wrongdoings in mind. But i can imagine it can be a hard pill to swallow for e.g a rural Värmlänning having to tolerate wolves while insuring that vast tracts of suitable habitat are kept wolf-free.

And yeah, this issue takes culture war dimensions, while personally im more concerned with the state of Swedens forests when it comes to national nature conservation, which is another huge can of worms regarding economical stakeholders.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 2, 2021

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Seems also that "hyggesfritt" continous forestry is being discussed and implemented more in Finland but more opposed in Swedish forestry. And not as hot of a topic among the public as it should be imo.

And the largest forest owner in Sweden is state-owned Sveaskog, and they should be able to set a far better standard than they do.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 3, 2021

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Wait til you read flashback, where a level-headed minority argue and speculate about the nature of the accident but most seem to have watched to many Jason Bourne movies. On sweddit ridiculous conspiracist comments get downvoted at least (last I saw anyway).

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Oct 4, 2021

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Speaking of the earlier forestry talk, i can recommend the recent "Vetenskapens värld" special mini-series about the huge conflicts of interests regarding Swedish forestry and conservation. "Slaget om skogen" on SVT or SVTplay.

Pretty depressing though to be reminded of the scale of things, only seen the first episode so far.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 4, 2021

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

V. Illych L. posted:

honestly the value-progressive tendency to assume that the anglophone liberal common-sense of things is Correct sits very uneasily with me, mostly because it inevitably involves trying to solve a problem by turning it into a regulated market, if it has any prescribed solution other than personal virtue

drugs? market and it's fine
sex? market and it's fine
pollution? market and it's fine
poverty? increase their ability to participate in the market, it'll be fine

addicts cannot look at alcohol without instantly going on a bender, emotional sharing is always best except that you should cut toxic people out of your life and are not anyone's therapist, knowledge of a phenomenon is predicated on emotional and social status etc etc. i don't trust it. we should at least try to formulate our problems on our own terms instead of taking our ideas from the most ridiculously broken societies in our geopolitical sphere. there's a tremendous cultural arrogance especially among people with higher education and modern attitudes to things which is only sometimes borne out by any kind of evidence. i do not, as a matter of prejudice, like market solutions to things and will tend to be skeptical of approaches implicitly or explicitly seeing marketisation as a progressive force

I think this is evident with prostitution, where often the American progressive view clashes with Nordic model supportSuburexers among European left feminists. And aside from philosophical differences, make some assumptions about effects of legalisation which evidence often doesnt bear out (trafficking increasing for example with more demand of an inelastic supply).

Also regarding gateway drugs it can happen by accident. Have a friend who during the epidemic lost access to his local weed dealer and has to resort to buying from a domestic darknet market with Bitcoin. Anyway, the seller mixed up the order and sent my friend a few pills of Subutex instead which is a pretty major mixup.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 14, 2021

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Im amazed that kratom is still legal in Sweden. Technically illegal to consume, but legal to buy (and is sold openly online) as long as they state that it is not for consumption (usual cover is as an homemade soap ingredient).

Some EU countries have banned it wouldnt expect Sweden to lag behind, but maybe its not as widespread and visible?

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 21, 2021

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
yepp, even have some at home right now.

Just to be clear, im not in any way endorsing it, as it is as addictive as any lower strength opiate and same caution should be applied.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
You keep calling the town Bofors. It is Hofors.

Been there a few times because it is right between a town i used to live in and a town i used to visit. Nothing much to say other than it being a very typical "håla" in Bergslagen.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Yeah articles with people bemoaning electricity prices and you read the small print about bad isolation, heating with only direktverkande el and windows all over the place.

Like that DN article with a photo of a guy sitting in his heated “altan” with mostly windows facing the outside facade.

It is the 1000 dollar candle meme irl.

Not saying all examples are like that but some expect all the advantages of a house with none of the responsibilities and energy mitigations.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

TheFluff posted:

:siren: Russian drone pilot arrested! :siren:
I'll have to eat my hat, there is Russian involvement in drones over skyddsobjekt.

The location in question is Drottningholm, and the man who was arrested has been released already, although he's still a suspect and will probably be fined eventually. Almost certainly a tourist who didn't know you're not allowed to fly there. Or maybe he thought it would be funny to troll the silly Swedes. Still, goes to show that there are real drones sometimes.

Lol i used to fish where the photo for the article was taken. That is legal though.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Yeah it was hilarious, as superficially "woke" as an american editor could be. Utterly baffling, like has he looked up anything at all?

Wasnt it Telia who besides bribery supplied telecom services that was directly used for persecuting dissidents in some of the central asian dictatorships?

Media and general society seem to forget that fast, chinese spy controversies by tiktok or huawei even seems to hold a longer memoery here.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
One of the funnier moments is listening to the recording made of a dispute in Bulletins editorial office between mainly Tino and the journos. Tinos voice and rhetoric does him no favours. Heated discussion among the people on the board meeting but Tinos speech just doesnt command any authority or respect. He sounds like a angry petty little man while really trying to sound assertive.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Hadnt checked in on Malcolm Kyenue for a while now and man did he go off the deep end.

https://twitter.com/mrhenko123/status/1513434363043762185

Not a psychologist but cant help thinking that there is some jealous resentment he is projecting when constructing his sociological pet theory about the "Transferiatet". Since he has never belonged to the vaunted "productive classes" he appeals to.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Only had 1 visit from kids with handdrawn cards asking for candy. They probably hate me. Gave them a bag of skumägg, which i had bought previously in the mistaken assumption that they were coated chocolate eggs (e.g mandelägg). I hate that kind of skumgodis but hopefully the kids dont.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Most annoying common rhetoric surrounding the nato debate online and among acquaintances is a view of NATO as some kind of insurance rather than a commitment. Say what you will about Calmfors but he as an NATO-proponent is honest about that part

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

His Divine Shadow posted:

I turned on the radio and I learned everyone was talking about this supposed scandal now and it was a viral thing. I am feeling more defensive about this culturual trait of ours now. loving judgemental southerners.

The real reason this happens IMO is because the other kids where expected to go home and eat dinner, that's really it. If they where sleeping over or something it would be different. And dinner is a separate thing from snacks.

They discuss this in a local podcast even, literally named "äta hos kompisar":
https://arenan.yle.fi/audio/1-3071751

Exactly, depends also on what people imagine as "guests". Often it is your friend who lives close by that hangs out at your place and vice versa like every day of the week after school. Often with their own dinner times, otherwise you would end up just eating dinner at the friend you spent the most time at during most of the week. You usually check with the other kids parents before having them eat dinner at home.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Cardiac posted:

Vinegar and soap is a better solution.

thats a fruit fly thing, havent caught many moths with that. thankfully. i dont mind random moths, more sorry for any trapped indoors cause theres nothing for them here.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 9, 2022

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Cynic Jester posted:

Isn't wind power inefficient as a source of renewable energy anyhow, once you take into account the cost of maintenance and transportation of replacement parts? I'd much rather see any investment into green energy be spent on more hydro or developing tidal into a viable source of power.

Hydro can be dependeable but also really poo poo from an ecological standpoint. Rather have a nuclear plant next door than ruin the few large unexploited northern rivers we have left.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Owling Howl posted:

We could also stop eating meat and return most farmland to wild forest and stop living in houses and turn the suburbs into parks. There's lots of things we could do in Simcity.

Maybe not all of it, some cattle on naturbete and haymaking are good for keeping certain diverse open habitats going. One of the most biodiverse but declining landscapes in Scandinavia is stuff like meadows, pastures and other semi-natural grasslands, wetlands etc especially on marginal lands.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 9, 2022

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

His Divine Shadow posted:

So has anyone read the book Girig Sverige (Greedy Sweden)?

I get the impression it's a book with typical leftist critique of the post 1980s Sweden as it moves into neoliberal ultra hell mode. Which naturally seems like it'd be a good book. But I saw people I'd say I thought where right leaning or bourgoise also praising it as a book worth reading. I think I need to give it a read at any rate.

Didnt know about it, but i see that Andreas Cervenka wrote it. I liked his nationalekonomi articles and columns in the press, think he gives a more "balanced" and fairer shake when explaining macro-economic concepts to the wider public than most. Like, he doesnt dance around economics aims being inherently political and such (looking at you Lars Calmfors).

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

big scary monsters posted:

I think caribou are reindeer.

yeah, what people in north america call elk is what we know as "wapiti deer" (a large american cousin of our fallow and red deers), not reindeers.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 17, 2022