Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

McCloud posted:

- the schools; should the national government take back control from the municipalities?

My Swedish skills are pretty bad, if some goon would like to write even a small effortpost about what the Hell is going on with school in Sweden, it'd be appreciated :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

kalstrams posted:

being a physics student

:( I'm so, so sorry

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

Who are the humans?

Those are clearly lizard people :colbert:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

BigglesSWE posted:

Oh for sure, I know for a fact that there are some of those at Drottninggatan right outside Riksdagen. But I think those would have to be lowered by security personell. I'm just imagining the logistical nightmare to have to lower and rise those anytime a delivery truck arrives to 7/11.

Not that this too couldn't be somehow controlled for, but the car used in this attack was (reportedly) a beer delivery truck.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

As an added note here from an observer since you ain't directing that at me:

Putin is guided largely by pan-slavinist fantasies of guys like Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn and Aleksandr Dugin. They want a slavic state composed of Russia, Ukraine and Belarus.

Pardon my ignorance, but is this the GULAG archipelago author, or someone else?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

The very one. He was also a nationalist opinionmaker, nostalgic for the Tsarist era etc. Russian integration with Ukraine and Belarus were a key part of his ideas.

Huh, thanks for the info! I've only read the archipelago, but I've been ignorant about the man's "political" ideas. I just remember the archipelago focusing on misery and hating the Soviets, maybe I should read it again.

vvvv :( Sorry!

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 28, 2022

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Swedes are the epitome of white people, in all the worst ways, and this is just the cultural aftermath.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Randarkman posted:

What the gently caress is even going on here?

*points at sign* What do you think, friend?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

What is a molotov workshop? The whole idea of the molotov cocktail is that it is an inexpensive and easy to use (so to speak) weapon that could, at the time, be useful against the Soviets. Of course the weapon since then has become known as the go-to of anyone wanting to inflict damage.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SplitSoul posted:

At the beginning of the invasion they held workshops in Kyiv where ordinary people were taught how to mix them. Unfortunately, Russian armor has improved somewhat since the Winter War and artillery has a bit more range.

It really is a shame that people try to defend their nation, isn't it?

My objection was that you made it seem like "mixing a molotov" is some obscure skill, when, again, the entire point of the weapon is that it does not require expertise or experience to make and use one.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SplitSoul posted:

It's a shame they encouraged ordinary citizens to actively get themselves vaporized by Russian soldiers for literally no material gain, yes, I agree. It's bad enough that many conscripts are sent off with barely any training. Molotovs are perhaps handy for street protesting if you manage to avoid immolating yourself, incredibly much less so against modern armor, hate to break it to you.

Those ordinary citizens would get raped and shot all the same, though. That is the point.

You are correct that there is no "material gain" in getting raped.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SplitSoul posted:

I'm not denying rapes or civilian casualties occur, premeditated and otherwise. Putin should not have invaded Ukraine and war crimes should be punished. I fail to see how molotov cocktails are an effective prevention strategy in either case.

Sadly they do not have nuclear armaments. But setting your would-be rapist on fire seems, on the face of it, having a deterrent effect. I am not Swedish, of course, so I do not have the same deep understanding of foreign policy as You do.

Also, hang on, "otherwise"? Russian boys did an oopsie and did not mean to?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SplitSoul posted:

Neither am I, thankfully.

Civilian casualties, comma, premeditated and otherwise. The "and" rather than "or" denotes that I believe Russian armed forces are guilty of both.

As theRat points out, I am being uncharitable. I just do not see what difference it makes whether premeditation involved in murdering people, in an act of invasion and aggression, really makes a difference. Okay, you get the guys to the Hague, but right now, it is people being shot for Vova's war of aggression.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SplitSoul posted:

Premeditation and intent are both important factors in determining whether something is a war crime or not. I am trying to make abundantly clear that I do not consider Ukrainian civilian casualties entirely inadvertent and, in fact, a multitude of cases strongly indicate otherwise. Obviously you cannot rape someone by accident, even if recent legislation in Denmark and Sweden introduced the term "negligent rape", it's not relevant in a war where Russian troops shouldn't be present in the first place.

The purpose of an army fighting a defensive war is to protect the lives of those who cannot fight. Ordinary citizens with molotov cocktails qualify for that term. Zelensky seems to have realized that rather quickly, which is why the strategy was abandoned within the first few weeks.

May I ask you to state out what you think Ukrainians should have done? And, furthermore, what Sweden and Finland should do with regards to NATO? You point out we (as in Finland) can't fight Stalin off with Molotovs, which is fair enough, but what should be done then? Vova is clearly an unhinged dictator.

Not even going to touch entirely inadverted!

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 29, 2022

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SplitSoul posted:

I think Zelensky should have followed through on his election platform and Finns (and Swedes) at a minimum should've been asked first before their governments abandoned neutrality.

I do not know how aware you are of how Finnish neutrality, and the coupling thereof related to Sweden's worked, in good and ill!, but speaking very roughly, Finland had an understanding with Soviet Russia, that took some sauna talks to manage, but in general the idea was that they wanted some integration with our military systems, and we opposed, due to American influence during the Cold War, and also because we tried very hard not to be a satellite state.

Be that as it may, Finland's neutrality was always predicated on a reliable Soviet state. This all fell out the window when Vova decided it was open season on unarmed civilians.

The fundamental shift in the security landscape engendered there was, in my opinion, a sufficient signal for us (Finland) to seek a nuclear backing. Not that we would want to use it!, but as a signal to Vova that he can't just gently caress around in his back yard willy-nilly and expect no response.

SplitSoul posted:

Uh, thanks. I guess? You realize that all wars incur civilian casualties? And what I am saying is, Russian armed forces don't seem overly concerned when it happens, and there is strong proof they will do it deliberately? Which is another reason Putin shouldn't have invaded Ukraine.

It seems we do not disagree on this point, just the response. Which is fair enough.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SplitSoul posted:

Alright, I hope the nuclear umbrella works out well for you.

I sincerely hope it is not necessary. But I still say the security landscape for Finland and Sweden changed radically this fall, and I am glad our elected leaders took steps to address that.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I would add that during the Cold War, for reasons of their own, the Soviets considered Finnish and Swedish neutrality politically expedient. Even Stalin, who was a lunatic who nearly started World War three, quite earnestly commented to Finnish diplomats in the late 40s that "a country should have a strong steel industry". After Stalin, Hrutshev viewed Finland positively due to being pals with Kekkonen, basically. The Brezhnev era was more difficult since the Soviet nation was in a bit of a shambles by that point, but even then Finland managed to retain military independence (i.e. not agreeing to joint Soviet war exercises and the like). And Sweden also actually helped, by threatening the Soviets on several occasions that unless they backed down from pressuring Finland, Sweden would make its own conclusions, which is diplomacy talk for telling someone to gently caress right off.

The difference now is that modern-day Russia is an unreliable and therefore dangerous actor. If we cannot predict what they will do, then it seems like the only recourse left to a small nation like Finland or Sweden is to ally themselves with someone capable of projecting enough force to act as a deterrent. Now, we all know the history of especially Finland allying with other nations in the past, but if the European security situation is deteriorating as we can see, what choice is there? There is only so much cheese we can sell smuggle into Russia to keep Vova pacified.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

i think you're misunderstanding my point here: i'm not saying anything about whether russia's gripe is 'reasonable', i'm saying that it was pretty clearly communicated in advance of the invasion and that military action per se was not something which came entirely out of the blue

basically i do not buy your narrative here, it depends on eliding far too much historical context.

e. as noted earlier, i also do not think the "putin is literally crazy and acting at random" stance is an especially useful one for the pro-NATO position, since it means that deterrence is useless and it just makes armageddon more likely
I'm not sure that is what was argued, though. It is a separate matter to state that Russia is behaving irrationally, as an agent in foreign policy, and just saying Vova is lol nutso look at this youtube video. Russia is not achieving their stated goals, in bringing the great masses back to Mother Russia, since they are manifestly generating hostility towards them.

You have a point in that few people expected Russia to act on their stated intentions, but given that shock treatment, is it a surprise that surrounding nations acted the way they did?

And furthermore to the point, if we take Russia's stated aims at face value, does it not still make sense for nations like Finland and Sweden to seek other alliances? If someone says their foreign policy is going to be offence, including an armed invasion, it's not necessarily a weird move to try and seek security assurances from elsewhere.

edit god loving damnit I keep making new pages without realizing, so I quoted you to be sure, sorry.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

russia's stated goals are the 'independence' of the so-called people's republics, demilitarisation and 'denazification' of ukraine. it is not clear at this point whether those will be achieved (or even specifically what they mean, e.g. does 'denazification' simply mean the liquidation of ultranationalist militias or full-on regime change? i suspect that they left that bit deliberately ambiguous), but it is absolutely not something which we can conclude is not going to happen given the present state of the war. this is (part of) what i meant way back when by the discourse around the invasion being heavily propagandised; it's very common in certain parts of the mainstream press to assert that russian objectives are X (which may or may not be true), which is not happening, and therefore russia is losing the war by this measure. i do not believe that this will have been worth it for russia and that the war will have been a tremendously costly crime, but they remain a much larger and much richer country than ukraine, with a more solid arms industry and evidently deeper stores of munitions, and these things really do matter in terms of winning wars.

Maybe we're starting to miss the forest for the trees here. I do not mean to insinuate Russia is some enigma wrapped in a mystery, shrouded in big question marks like Jim Carrey in Batman. As you say, they have stated goals, and while it seems to have taken the "global West" (pardon the term) somewhat by surprise that they actually acted on those stated goals, here we are. But as foreign policy, arguably Russia's behaviour has been a disaster for them. The economic sanctions may or may not be a long-term thing, but even this short-term break with the global supply chain has caused some rather unfortunate things for them. And diplomatically they've become a pariah state, for lack of a better term, because absolutely no one likes a neighbour who goes around starting wars of aggression.

Which is why we are here. Even if US/NATO troops won't be patrolling the Finnish-Russian border, the point of the exercise is that Finland and Sweden want to send a clear message to Russia that their expansionist behaviour is not acceptable.

We know that Russia expected this to have been a much briefer campaign, and there are those stories floating around about how Russian soldiers basically expected to be greeted as liberators. Obviously this did not happen, and even if Russia's economic might is sufficient to crush Ukraine, what will they have gained on the international stage? The comparisons to Hitler's Germany are tiresome, but that does seem to be the perception for a lot of folks.

Finland in particular tried very hard to lobby within the EU for a joint EU defense system, but this was and is a political non-starter since all the big players are already in NATO. And now that Russia is starting wars of aggression, even if they are not specifically aimed against Finland right at this time, joining NATO simply was the next step. We can all speculate whether the United States would be willing to start a global thermonuclear war for the sake of Finland or the Baltic nations, but if you've ever played Twilight Struggle, the idea is to make the other guy think twice about whether that could happen.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Big LBJ energy, hashtag girlboss?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It seems extremely on point and topical that the Ligur of Scandipol was made idiot king, and I applaud that decision. Just watching the swedes hash it out amongst themselves is magical :allears:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Beeswax posted:

Oh come on

I am normalizing for Svensk diskurs, of course.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

ulvir posted:

21,3 percent projected to vote for nazis. :staredog:

I'm curious what the reverse graph for SD looks like

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Rappaport posted:

I'm curious what the reverse graph for SD looks like

To answer my own question,

I guess none of this is very surprising, if we're going with the True Finn analogy.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Nuclear, you say?

Jack Trades posted:

Life's a bitch and then you die.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

fnox posted:

I mean I think having your two only actions as IK thus far be two probations aimed at yourself to be pretty compelling evidence that you don’t care much about the role.

I realize that being a general fuddy-duddy is part of the Scandinavian ethos, but IKs and mods probing themselves is a pretty common occurrence. And it usually goes over better than joke-probing other users :banjo:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Meese meese :eng99:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Put some butter in your coffee, see how she reacts

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Megamissen posted:

Ulf has a 'evil nazi officer' look to him when he smiles

Uncanny

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

teen witch posted:

Once again you gotta stop copping from the US

In a sense, yeah, but as you identified earlier, there is a certain inertia around admitting wrong-doing in Swedish society, and all that skull-measuring around Uppsala university hasn't really had a reckoning, but in the end, who cares who taught eugenics to whom?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

luminalflux posted:

I mean here in US and A i don't see a lot of half-bottles of spirits either, so idk if that would automatically be solved by privatization

It is very much the svensk experience to write a 4000-word essay on what one imagines choice would be like, and how that would improve the consumer experience. None of this needs to be couched in reality.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

fnox posted:

Idk if this is an absurd radical thought but I think if they do want to have a state monopoly they should remove it for beer. Just remove the weirdness behind folköl and have regular 5% beer in supermarkets, then keep systemet for everything else.

That is how you get total anarchy Finland, though

Admittedly Finland might have a different starting point

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Lenin posted:

they generally see the present war in terms of their own societies

I will hand-pick this, out of context, to touch on something that your post seemed to ignore. Obviously we do not live in the 1950's anymore, but the Finnish rationale for a lot of our UN votes back then and a little further out from that were based on the dual rationale of "don't upset the two global superpowers [but more importantly the CCCP] and try to maintain the logic that smaller independent states should have a right to self-determination and existence without outside tampering or outright violence". I've yelled at people over at the Finnpol thread about this too, it just happens to be a happy coincidence that we can frame helping the Ukrainian war effort as a moral cause, but that is sort of beside the major foreign policy point for a small, as-of-yet non-aligned nation such as Finland, that we would like smaller or larger (in the case of Ukraine) nation states bordering Russia to remain independent and free of political meddling by the bargain-bin Goebbelses they have running the show over at Putin's Russia. It doesn't necessarily have to deal with Russia's political system per se either, just that we can observe their actions over the past 20 years, with all the assassinations and such, and the open warfare happening now and before, and declare "none of that for us please", and that seems like a sufficient rationale, for me. Obviously the calculus is different for Norway, who are under Uncle Sam's protection racket already, and have a miniscule land border with Russia to begin with (and as per the Swedish defense doctrine, a two-week Finnish padding on the way of a bigger land border).

Obviously the "end state" of the war is unknowable, and it doesn't seem readily apparent that Putin will be defenestrated if the war just goes on long enough. And, again, from bordering Russia, it doesn't seem like an appetizing idea of the Russian Federation just disintegrating into small nation-states waging tribalistic war against each other and outsiders, potentially with weapons of mass destruction, either. Which probably is the desired end state by NATO. But Putin's Russia didn't really leave "Western nations" with any good options, here, either. We're at a discontinuity in Fukuyama's end of history, again, and have to make do with what our idiot leaders can think up now that they've been awakened from their slumber of awaiting good posts at the Commission.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Rust Martialis posted:

If the Ukrainian government wants a ceasefire, they can seek one. In the mean time, we should ensure they have the means to defend themselves against a frankly genocidal war of aggression.

Failure to support the people of Ukraine is in my view simply passively acquiescing to genocide.

In lighter terms, perhaps, a ceasefire in this situation would still be an unfortunate signal from the (selfish) point of view of small states near or bordering Russia, since it would implicitly endorse land-grabs (and murder, rape, genocide, all sorts of really bad things that no one should want!) by Russia, and it is in the interest of small states to discourage these kinds of developments. That bigger states are willing, more or less willingly :haw:, to help out, well, helps, but all the same, it does not behoove small states' foreign policy in general to push towards a cease-fire on what would at this stage be Putin's terms.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Sadly right now the usual reporting of "racist did a racism" coincides with Ulf doing something stupid with regards to NATO. And hence, :shrug:

Sweden should have finished their dr. Strangelove project, then they could at least somewhat justify their projected arrogance!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Politeness is part of the parcel, surely.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

There have been motions for a nuclear-weapons free "pohjola", but sadly at the time Norway and Denmark felt compelled to be faithful to their allies.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Feliday Melody posted:

I want to shop at Lidl, but after a decade with självscanning. I can't bear the old system.

If this means what I assume it does, my local Lidl has self-checkouts :iit:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Feliday Melody posted:

That would be great if mine did.

Write them an angry feedback on facebook!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

McCloud posted:

The last 3 pages remind me of that sealion comic

This is incredibly unswedish of you, and I must applaud :golfclap: