Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So I just fnished the game. I didn't... miss a scene that established Delta was there the whole time, right? The first time I saw any mention of him being there was when I chose him in the Mexican standoff. Then I had to tell Eric who Zero actually was and that showed him for real.

Overall I enjoyed the game but feel like stuff with Delta was pretty unnecessary. There's no reason to say Carlos/Sean/Diana chose bad decisions because someone was literally controlling them, we have an infinite number of worlds and surely they would have done it on their own in some of them. Delta could've just been some guy in Dcom that wasn't present until they started pointing fingers and it would've made more sense then everyone conveniently not mentioning him.

Also I'm annoyed that Akane was never called out on the poo poo she pulled a year ago. When Delta is talking about all the other timelines and how it was for his ultimate plan, he could've perfectly justified it by saying she did the exact same thing. In general she just seemed a little too oblivious to the stuff going on. Would she really expect to reason with someone calling themselves Zero after she played the same role?

edit: Also at one point Zero left a recording saying he was killed by Carlos in that timeline, but when did that happen?

Momomo fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

exploding mummy posted:

The major difference is that Akane in the second Nonary game actually set it up so that it could be beaten without anyone dying. That it failed to happen...is more of an indictment on Ace/Nine/Captain guy then Akane or Zero.

She knew everything that was going to happen though and didn't even bother trying to stop it. Her plan hinged on multiple timelines even. While maybe not exactly the same as Delta, Akane definitely has blood on her hands.

Also I don't recall an explanation for how Mira was able to kill D team in that one timeline (with her sheet still on for... some reason). Did her knockout drugs just conveniently wear off sooner or something?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

exploding mummy posted:

This is explicitly laid out during the reveal cutscene.

He said he didn't give her the memory drugs, not that he didn't knock her out. Sure you can take that as an implication that he did neither, but absence of information is a huge thing in this game.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

exploding mummy posted:

He exempted her from the usual drug injections. There's no additional qualification if it was just the memory drugs.

I'm pretty sure he explicitly says she wasn't given the memory drug, which means he didn't actually say she was never put to sleep. From the sound of it though it seems like we're supposed to ust assume she wasn't though.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The parts I found most ridiculous were the ones where the characters somehow figured those anagrams out in their head.

Also the way they said the time. Nobody says it's "Zero zero zero three".

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I mean when he said that he basically seemed to mean that he had multiple motives that were then explained.

Yeah, it was pretty much his way of saying "Shut up and give me a second to explain".

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

can someone explain why Delta just randomly shows up in that one timeline, apropos of nothing

did i miss a set-up or does he just have really good dramatic timing

What are you talking about, Delta was totally there the whole time. He's just camera shy.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Admittedly I like the showman interpretation more since the whole thing is ridiculous otherwise.

Does the name Q have any significance, by the way?

edit: I just realized Q = Kyu = 9. They pulled this same drat thing again.

Momomo fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 5, 2016

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

That's why I prefer believing he can only mind hack if he's in close proximity to the person. For Carlos and Diana being assholes, there are an infinite number of timeliness, which means there has to be ones where they do it.

Also if she was being controlled, it makes that one ending where Diana chose to stay way weaker.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

One thing that kind of annoys me with the whole camera thing is, Sigma was the viewpoint character of VLR, but they used a camera switching effect whenever you made choices, and that meant absolutely nothing. I don't really know if I like the game of picking and choosing what design elements are actually meant to mean anything.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Clarste posted:

That was Sigma's robot eye.

That just makes him never noticing his evil scientist eye even more ridiculous then.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Mira breaking out of jail to tell her past self not to kill people could also be part of his plan. Really, you could probably pin the entire series happening at all on her.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Broseph Brostar posted:

It's Mira who is wearing the Free the Soul cloak for no particular reason. You can see her black nails whrn she's walking out the X door.

E: that reminds me, the X door is actually the 10 door

Was it a Free the Soul cloak? I thought it was just the sheet they use for people in the pods.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

So here's a question, how did Delta know who his parents were to begin with? The only way he knows stuff from other timelines is if he meets someone else who does, and he doesn't meet Sigma and Diana until he's over a hundred.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The only problem with that is there'll be two Alices and two Clovers if they were to be sent to a happy ending timeline. While not exactly an issue, it's gotta be awkward.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Thinking about it, there were two Carloses for ten months before the game even started. How in the world did he manage that? Did he have to find a new job and a new home? Did he go through the entire process of being a firefighter again? That sounds like a rough ten months.

Edit: and how did he get out of the bunker and

Momomo fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 6, 2016

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

He jumped back 10 months. The X-Door was just a regular door.

I really doubt that thing was in a place Carlos could just waltz out of.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Terper posted:

Hold on

*accesses the morphogenetic field*

Mhm... yeah, mhm...

Cake Attack is correct.

Technically there has to be one universe where this is true, I suppose.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dragongem posted:

Finished the game. Mostly loved it, and I'm glad this is the last one. I feel like another in the same storyline would've stretched things too thin. Before i put my random thoughts, random question that's bugging me:

Why did Diana unleash Radical-6 in the VLR ending? She knows exactly what she's doing, and she doesn't bother to go "HEY THESE GUYS GOT A CRAZY DIESASE MIGHT WANNA QUARANTINE THESE FOLKS" or you know anything but "well I guess I killed humanity". I don't think she gets MIND HACKED, either. Did she get radical-6 in the timeframe of going up the elevator?

Also mind hacking is funny and all I have is visions of Delta acting like Mentok the Mindtaker... but with MIND HACKING!

I assume she thinks in the rush to get them medical treatment they won't quarantine Phi, which means she's going to infect everyone else.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

SHIFTing in general seems different from how it was in the other two games. In 999 it didn't even seem like Junpei had the ability at all, it was his link with Akane (who could do it herself) that gave him knowledge he shouldn't know. In VLR it felt more like it was the Sigma of each timeline gaining the knowledge of other Sigmas (so instead of Rich M or Poor M, it was Rich M + Poor M) until they dropped that ridiculous 45 year plan on him.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

orenronen posted:

Finished last night. I played the Japanese version (that is, Japanese text + voices, on a Vita cartridge bought in Japan). Some notes about translation:

- Every piece of in-universe text is left in English, including the anagrams and the various notes passed between the teams through Gab (VLR also had English anagrams in the Japanese version). The dialogue has the voice actors first attempting to pronounce them in English (to often hilarious result), and then spend another line translating them to Japanese for the benefit of language-challenged players.

This is very strange since I assumed the anagrams made more sense in Japanese to figure out in your head. These games are silly.

Junpei's line about having a phrase back in Japan struck me as something he really should've said in Japanese. Did he say essentially the same thing in the Japanese version?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

It is kind of weird to me in retrospect how little it mattered to Junpei he was just a year removed from 999's events where Akane=Zero was kind of a big deal. ZTD was far more of a sequel to VLR than 999 but it still it was strange how much it seemed to distance itself from it.

Yeah, I'm kind of annoyed that neither he nor Delta called her out on that. It seemed like Junpei was super close a few times, but he never quite got there. Maybe he figured Carlos would be way less willing to help if he knew or something.

For that matter, Sigma is in the same boat, though D Team's arc isn't really about that.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

NRVNQSR posted:

I'm sure Phi rightly blames Akane for VLR, not Sigma.

From my understanding that was a combined effort with Sigma doing most of the grunt work. He totally deserves blame for that.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Tenmyouji has an hour-long biker analogy for you to explain why the other timelines matter even if there's still one where they don't die.

As far as Mira goes, there are extra files you can read that tell you where she ends up.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

That's because 999 didn't go to crazy town quite as much as the other two, but VLR is pretty much in the same boat as ZTD. That's why I can't really get too annoyed at the failings of this game, since it was pretty much business as usual.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

They probably realized having so many plot threads would end up weighing the game down and just decided to ignore them, and I think it was probably for the better. Stuff like Delta actually being Brother was kind of hard to swallow all things considered and sorta felt like it was only because they had to wrap things up with him.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Arrrthritis posted:

Plus Alice & Clover get owned in ZTD because it turns out Junpei and Seven took out FTS' base of operations by themselves.

Not really. They're going after Brother and all the Left clones, which is not something Junpei stopped. Them destroying their base did absolutely nothing.

Also Alice was the best?? She might not have been very relevant to the overall plot but that's like the least important part of these games.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

So what the hell happens to 22 year old Sigma's mind? If I recall, the plan was that he'd return to his body after they managed to stop Radical 6 from spreading, but they also talked about Kyle and such there so obviously that was thrown out the window. Does young Sigma just not get a happy ending?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

That room took me a lot longer since I didn't realize the second chapter of the book unlocked and spent a while trying all the cards on the table. Then I just figured out what 2 and 3 were and went from there.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Clarste posted:

Unlike the other random events, you're not rolling the dice or spinning the revolver chamber yourself, you're just calling out heads or tails. So you can't change the outcome, you just change which one you're betting on.

This is actually not the case. When I was confused about where to go next, I tried that scene again and picked blue and got it right, despite my first time being red.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The 6 million dead timeline was presumably necessary because of Sigma, because otherwise he wouldn't have been in a position to get together with Diana.

It has got to be really awkward for Delta to make a plan with half your goal being to get your parents laid.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

You could say the same about VLR's ending though, so I don't really mind this game's ending anymore than that one's. It wasn't a great sendoff for the series, but eh.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

And by "I don't have to explain everything" you mean "I will now explain everything" right? There's nothing about his motives that we do not know by the end of the game, all he was saying is that he has more than one reason for doing it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I feel like this game didn't have the highest highs or the lowest lows either of the other two games had. Sure the animations are stiff, but VLR's models were pretty atrocious and their animations were also pretty bad. The way I see it is, the presentation is pretty much the same as VLR, we just happen to be able to see where each character is standing in relation to each other, even if it still looks pretty awkward.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Akane: Ok, first let's arm this reactor to blow up.
Carlos: Alright, now what?
Akane: Huh?

That whole sequence was the best and I love C-team's time jumping adventures.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Vengarr posted:

I thought they were trying to complicate her a bit with ALIEN HAND SYNDROME... But nah, it was just Delta mindhacking her into murdering him because reasons?

I definitely prefer to believe it was just her faking it to get out of the whole thing. Zero's explanation at the end wouldn't make sense any other way.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Vengarr posted:

It makes sense if you think he was doing it to screw with Diana, who can SHIFT. Or the player, because that's how Zero rolls.

I mean, Carlos says the exact same thing in his button push/bad vote scenes. "It felt like someone took control of my hand!"

And while it makes zero sense for Delta to mindcontrol someone into killing him, he does that explicitly with Eric's shotgun after the Force Quit boxes are open. Maybe Delta was just kind of suicidal.

To try and guilt her for something that wasn't actually her doing is just lame though. We have infinite universes, which means there are ones where Diana and Carlos both pressed the buttons, so we really didn't need MIND HACK to explain it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

SIgma didn't have ZTD memories in VLR when making the nonary game, he based it off what he already had to go through in the game itself. ZTD comes after all of that in Sigma's timeline.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Didn't he though? I thought he mentioned Light, unless I'm just thinking of Aoi. I mean, Lotus got a mention so I really doubt they neglected him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Krinkle posted:

I finally remembered my loving question from three weeks ago. I posted it in the no spoilers thread, deleted it, and forgot what it was when I came over and found this thread.

In the timeline where diane presses the button to kill those people, and then refuses to escape, she was obviously mind hacked, so why did delta pre-record himself taunting his poor old mother that she's a murderess after he's dead. It's just rude. He knows he made her do it and that she doesn't know why she did it. Why call her a faker w/r/t multiple personalities.

I really prefer to think he never mind hacked her and this was all her doing.

• Locked thread