Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

LethalGeek posted:

Ignoring the anime garbage it seems like a fine little game, lots of hate in here.

I mean, style and appearance does in fact mean a lot in a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

so am I the only one who thinks reviewing the runs and giving them a numerical score is kinda daft

this post gets a 2 out of 10

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I have played Catherine lots and gotten golds on nearly every story level on hard.

I can still hardly follow this at all :psyduck:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Catherine is the early favorite for run of the marathon imo

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaUqpnHvua8

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

This Link's Awakening run is awesome as heck

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i know this is a speedrun and all but i cannot support the runner gunning down mudokons with a possessed slig

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I wish I had the money to donate 5 bucks for every 'dude' said during this run

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

A Mecharichter run with Klaige and PJ on the couch is always a good time.

Also a small bit of swearing is fine, dude won't even get a slight talking to for going 'ohshit'.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Catherine was absolutely a highlight. It's an amazing game to watch even if you've never played, and if you have played it's an even crazier run.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Thursday Next posted:

No offense to anybody, but this event handles over a million dollars (WELL over a million if you include all of the money that passes through it like the hotel fees, tech, equipment, etc). If you can't handle reading, you shouldn't be an announcer. She wasn't as bad as the woman at the last AGDQ who literally read around a sixth-grade level, at least. That lady couldn't pronounce anything above a couple of syllables and it was just heartbreaking to hear.

Most of the announcers are fine. I wish they'd hold out for more than just "fine" however; the one announcer that was REALLY pushing the donation for Doom got, like, what? Fourteen thousand bucks for just that incentive alone? An announcer that's "fine" should be pushed till they're "very good" or better.

I get that GDQ is grassroots and there's a lot of people who don't want to lose that. I'm not suggesting y'all hire Casey Kasum or Don Pardo. But I'd love to see a higher bar for announcers next year, personally.

source your quotes

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Your Computer posted:

The game reaaaaally hasn't aged well for anyone without rose-tinted nostalgiagoggles unfortunately.

Nah Morrowind is awesome, I introduced the game to several friends who liked Oblivion and they all liked Morrowind and most even preferred it. It's a very awesome game.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh I absolutely agree, it just struck me as funny coming from someone that called the Golden Sun games great, when nostalgia is the only thing they have going for them now.

I really wanted to like Morrowind but the combat just felt dreadful.

Morrowind's combat is superior to that of Oblivion and Skyrim by virtue of you actually being able to kill things. Every fight in those games takes a loving eternity because Bethesda had no idea how to balance combat in which you never miss so every enemy is just a massive damage sponge and it is tedious as gently caress and there's nothing you can do about it at any point. In Morrowind you can hit most of the time even early on by building your class right or by just using destruction magic and most fights are over in seconds, and when you level up to like 20 or so most enemies are one or two shot kills.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

CommaToes posted:

I have started and quit Morrowind around 6 times because I enjoy the story and whatnot, but I could never hit anything in melee combat, so leaving the town kinda left me with nothing to do. Skyrim's combat actually worked and things die pretty fast in it. :shrug:

I've heard it is a great game, but the combat engine is complete trash and it renders it unplayable for me.

Start as a redguard, endurance as a preferred attribute, long blade as a major skill. There are also a shitton of other builds that work, like just choosing destruction as a major skill and using firebite to kill everything early (especially as magic is insanely op as you progress through the game) or going argonian and choosing spear as a major skill, etc. Just look at the bonuses your race gets and build accordingly, it's really not hard to build a character that can hit things.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

This is the best glitch exhibition aside from the failed first glitch

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

GeneX posted:

haven't watched since the klonoa run (and the jak and daxter trainwreck), did I miss anything good?

The entire Elder Scrolls block has been good, Bionic Commando ruled, Shatterhand ruled

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ah yes Two Worlds, the game that makes Elder Scrolls' programming look competent and good.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

It's a better game than any bethesda made game since morrowind

Low bar to clear but sure

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Macaluso posted:

Spikevegeta, please get a new hairstyle

get the gently caress out

Fiblah posted:

Spikevegeta is quickly wearing out his welcome, my god.

First few GDQ's he was alright, but I just find him unbearable these days.

you too

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

smell this posted:

when was the last time sig or narcissa were part of GDQ?

neither are even part of the speedrunning scene anymore so

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Bad Seafood posted:

I was doing some poking around and some people are saying the Ty runner got banned?

No. Prolly banned from actually running at a GDQ in the future for ignoring a donation incentive, but he didn't do anything to get outright banned from this or any future GDQ events. His run was nowhere near ban-worthy.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

NRVNQSR posted:

Assuming he actually followed through on his "$1 per kill" commitment I don't see how he can be accused of ignoring the incentive. Or was there another incentive apart from Pacifist that I didn't know about?

The thing is, it's not like he messed up and killed enemies, he blatantly went out of his way to do so and said as such while he did it. It was a 5,000 dollar incentive that he willingly, totally ignored. That is all the way not OK and something that should absolutely impact his being able to run again in future marathons.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Why? Like, why offer that donation incentive only to flaunt ignoring it entirely? Did he not think it would get met?

His excuse he gave later on was that he did not expect it to get met. Which again, if he wasn't going out of his way to kill enemies and proclaiming that he was ignoring the pacifism incentive, that'd be fair and understandable.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Aurora posted:

Cartridge tilt noooo :smith:

It's OK, it led to her getting WR :unsmith:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Elliotw2 posted:

Pff, he wishes, that's an Atari Lynx (1)

Is it really?

...why?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Rynyin posted:

One of the couch guys for SAWA left abruptly right after the run ended cause there was an Eevee nearby. Like almost rudely.

The attitude of that run from the runner and the couch dudes tells me him bailing like that was an act and not actually rude :ssh:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Azazell0 posted:

I've never been that into Kirby 'cept for the NES game, so I might take this chance to catch up. Unless there's a game that you guys know should be really entertaining to watch live?

IMO you should give the series a second look. I did a couple years back after only ever having owned Canvas Curse, and only having played Superstar as a rental back when the SNES was current, and I was kinda stunned by how much fun they are. It is a goddamn solid series of good-to-great games.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Random Stranger posted:

But I have to stay up and see Pepsiman.

you're goddamn fuckin right you do

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

protomagicalgirl is one of the breakout stars of this sgdq imho

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kanfy posted:

SML2 is at least obviously a Mario game with Mario enemies and physics and whatnot.

Heck, he even has his own zone in it!

nightmare fuel :ohdear:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

breaking: sethbling barred from making any mario maker levels in further gdq events

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

voltcatfish posted:

is there anything good actually left in the marathon at this point

Every run from here until the end of the marathon is a must-watch for me, so

MisterBibs posted:

This entire SGQ has been rather meh for me. I remember being super excited that I actually remembered that it statted on the day it started. Looked at the list, and I went from :haw: to :geno: the lower I went and the longer it'd be until things I'd actually care about seeing.

This is the best GDQ event in years, maybe ever, what the hell

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Erata posted:

I have no idea what to expect from a Pikmin run.

From the forest onwards, it is an insane amount of multitasking. Very fast-paced and difficult.

Back in the day, the 9 day challenge was the thing. This will be an 8 day run, which is nuts; the WR is 6 days which is some sort of black magic. Even 7 days is nearly impossible.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Digirat posted:

This run is awesome for me because I played pikmin and pikmin 2 a ridiculous number of times but I feel like she is really not explaining much for people who aren't already familiar with the game, which is too bad because none of these multitasking strategies are going to be apparent to them

The amount of things you are keeping track of in your head while playing this game is mind-bending. Even talking at all during a run of this game is crazy, especially with the added pressure of being at a GDQ event. It really can't be over-emphasized how unforgiving this is as a speedgame.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

This run is amazing just for Emily murdering Pikmin she decides she doesn't like :allears:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

That blowhog just trolled the hell out of that run :smith:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

s.i.r.e. posted:

Good god this Pikmin let's play is a comedy of errors, and it's the only late-night game I stayed up to watch. lol

It isn't even errors, its enemies being as trolly as possible.

9 days single segment is still fuckin craziness, especially at a marathon.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Azazell0 posted:

What exactly happened to make it go over the estimate? I've never played Pikmin, but from the comments I assume it was just bad luck with enemies?

Puffy blowhog went 'gently caress your poo poo' and absolutely demolished the run.

It then decided to give a parting shot by blowing the flowers off her Pikmin right before she left Distant Spring, too.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Zorglorfian posted:

Is Aladdin this time Genesis or SNES...

Please be SNES...

Sidebar: This game is weird......
But it looks fun. Nite all! Pikmin was fun.

I think it is the SNES version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I am going to buy Trauma Center: Second Opinion thanks to that run

• Locked thread