Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
There's a weird bit in a season 3 or 4 episode where Odo is complaining that Dax keeps sneaking into his quarters and moving the furniture around to gently caress with him. It's written to make him look like a neat-obsessed freak because she's only moving them by like an inch, but 1) it actually makes Dax look like a poo poo for repeatedly breaking into a supposed friend's private room and 2) when was Dax ever established to be a prankster? It's more something season 1 Jake and Nog would pull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I get the feeling that CBS wanted for Section 31 Trek, was what they got instead with the Pike show.

I really don't like the terran emperor and they're trying to make a fascist murdering gendocidal maniac into a likable person and give them their own quirky spinoff. Meanwhile Anson gets a single season to be the captain dude for 14 episodes and for some reason literally everyone falls in love with space dad

I this this got mentioned in the Disco thread, but turns out that people are kind of sick of grim, compromised-morality spiky-black-leather antiheroes and would prefer upbeat, Star-Trek-ideals-having regular heroes.

Plus, you know. Michelle Yeoh's no slouch, but Anson Mount's a dreamboat.

edit: coming in 2020, Star Trek: Dreamboat.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo, :lol: this old Voyager premiere trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXpO25EIErw

Chagatay. Tuwok. Tawrez, of the Marquis. Kez.

in...

Star Trek. Voyaga.

I've been calling my cat Chagatay all day.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

FuturePastNow posted:

it's good if you like playing with little spaceships and have no standards

Little?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Oh my gosh, the Cytherian is the least horrible, most likeable giant alien head to ever appear to the Enterprise crew (the Nth degree, where Barclay becomes a computer brain). I adore Kay Kuter.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Nah, changelings are probably 25% collected lint and crushed insect bits.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Marina Sirtis displays real acting chops in the episodes where she, Data and O'Brien get possessed by ghosts, the episode where she joins Worf & Alexander in a western holodeck adventure, and of course the Romulan one. It's a waste that 90% of her episodes involved Troi getting mindraped.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Goddamn, TNG: Rascals is a weird one. I know it's just a late stage wacky idea script, but it still bugs me that the crew's first response to the captain having the body of a child with explicitly mentioned the same mental faculties as before, is "relieve him of duty" and "get used to staying this way, go back to school maybe?" Crusher's insistence that Picard must step down because, maybe, he'll soon start acting like a kid too, is bull. It might've helped if lil' Jean-Luc had shown behavior to lead her to that conclusion first.

I was morbidly amused by O'Brien saying "there's a decrease in mass, I may have lost one of them" while transporting them in, not expressing much emotion for the fact that the one might be his wife.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Seemlar posted:

The Federation flagship unambiguously getting it's teeth kicked in by half a dozen idiot Ferengi in two dumpy Birds of Prey should be in the running for worst Worf pummeling in the entire series

Yeah, seems like years after, you'd still be able to shut Worf down by saying "remember that time Ferengi beamed onto the bridge and you missed your shot and then just lay on the floor for the rest of the day"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

Over the weekend I watched the episode Genesis and that is one of my favorite TNG episodes ever. Watching it again years later makes me appreciate it even more. My only complaint was that I wish it was longer so we could see what more of the crew transformed into.

I seem to recall that episode's kind of derided for its nonsensical plot. I love it. Worf's transformation coupled with Picard's growing nervousness turns it into an excellent horror story.

Maybe they should've made it a 2-parter so the ending didn't have to be so abrupt.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I can never get used to Picard's open velours jacket. He tends to wear it on the bridge and on official occasions and it never not looks like he's just casually letting his uniform jacket hang open to me.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The TNG two-parter Gambit is a real stinker full of disastrous hairdos, but holy moly :lol: at James Worthy's turn as a gigantic, stoned-looking Klingon.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

These are the voyages of the starship Leon Trotsky. Its continuing mission, to seize the means of production and free workers from the shackles of the bourgeois. To nationalize the wealth of all decadent tsarists. And to boldly go where Marxist thought directs!

*Russian male choir sings the TNG theme*

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Astroman posted:

I'm guessing the 'YAD has discovered the breaking news that "police say all pedos are Star Trek fans," an SA TVIV mod was a ST fan and a pedo, and with STP in the news Star Trek exists so they've come to shame us that we are all pedos.

It's worked, I'm totally reexamining all my life choices and am now exclusively a Star Wars fan. Goodbye TVIV. :rolleyes::

Calling it now: Spiner is back in a secret role. Countdown is decanonized and B4 has a major role as Picard's retarded manservant.:v:

Sir, query: "gently caress the Police?"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Sorry, ensign. I agree your recipe for tikka massala sounds delicious, but Commander Data has already filled the replicator databanks to capacity with 7,000 feline supplement recipes.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It's weird as hell that Generations and First Contact had Data doing emotions finally, and then Insurrection is all "what is playing beep boop" again.

That said, even though Data never got to grow gradually because story arcs aren't for syndication, Data's great. Y'all can go suck a Katarian egg.

tee dee pow

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
This may be a general 80s/90s TV issue, but I'm noticing in the 24th century, whenever someone gets knocked to the ground, everyone's in a hurry to get them back on their feet. Are future people like elephants, where they die if they lie down for too long?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
You can at least first check if they didn't break anything after some spacebeam launched them into the furniture, you dingus.

It's not about the helping them up, more the instant need to have them back on their feet.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Come on trying to kill O'Brien is only a $50 fine

I watched the episode where they take Odo back to the Founders cause he's sick, and they judge him and make him permasolid. There's this great moment where Garak asks about the survivors of the Obsidian Order/Tal Shiar attack on the Founders and the female changeling just exasperatedly throws in his face "they're dead. You're dead. Cardassia is dead." and fuuuck, Garak's face.

So he tries to hijack the weapon systems for a suicidal attack to wipe out the Founders, and Worf narrowly stops him.

And... afterwards... he gets six months in jail? For all of that?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Snow Cone Capone posted:

For all the improvements in DS9 as time went on, I kind of miss S1's "gleefully insane" Sisko

People make fun of "do you have any idea how incredible this is" but the man delivers that like he's playing piano keys.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Heh, in DS9: Apocalypse Rising, they have Jake leaning over a railing to watch people walk across the promenade, but he's so tall at this point he has to basically fold in half to do it.

It's also hilarious how Sisko keeps doing the Klingon voice even when there's no reason to, like after Martok exposes them.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
*yells* THIS is Arrigo sooty5!!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
They really needed to find an alternative for this era's Kirk than "I'm tired and bored, and old?" You just can't make these movies the same when there's not a TV show to build on and the cast isn't in their 50s/60s.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I almost wish you guys hadn't put the idea in my head. It makes so much sense. Sisko could be on the Defiant, has the prior history to work out with Picard, and is GREAT AT YELLING

Picard and Sisko could've gone back and forth, NOOO and YEEESSS, as they slowly smash and destroy every item in Picard's ready room.

In my dream FC, it's the Enterprise D instead of E, Sisko instead of Lily, and maybe a few additional DS9 guys that make sense to be there. O'Brien, Dax, maybe Odo.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Payndz posted:

09 did well at the little character-defining moments for Kirk and Spock (although the opening with Daddy Kirk sacrificing himself to save his newborn baby had way more emotional force than anything else in the entire movie), but everything around them was an utter clusterfuck of nonsense, stupidity and contrivance. It still pisses me off unreasonably even now.

Watching the deleted scenes made me realize why the movie left me confused when Winona Ryder got cast to play an old woman and where Nero hung out for 30 years. They really went at that edit with a meat cleaver.

Though I'm not sure if putting in the shot of children in Klingon costumes coming out of a small spaceship would've been advisable.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Harry just bursting out of his uniform because the producers refuse to give him a new one

*twists a clarinet into a pretzel* sup

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

And then one day, Jellico arrives on the ship. "Ah Livingston, my old nemesis."

Jellico: From hell's heart, I stab at thee

*fumbles around the aquarium's edges*

Jellico: How the gently caress do you open this thing

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I would love to read a Stitch in Time. Wish I could find a reasonably priced paperback, I don't really want to buy an e-reader for it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
btw, I don't suppose there's an audiobook of Stitch in Time, narrated by Robinson in character as Garak?

I assume no because otherwise it would be in every hotel nightstand drawer in the civilized world.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Powered Descent posted:

Assuming you're talking about a Kindle since that's where the ebook seems to be available. If you have any other device (iOS, Android, Windows, Mac), just install the Kindle app and boom, you have a Kindle.

:neckbeard:

I had no idea it was that simple. Thanks!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Isn't Shatner's Twitter and probably entire online persona actually his daughter or granddaughter?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

yaaay :shobon:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

marktheando posted:

Sub Rosa is terrible but it’s highly entertaining. The grave robbing scene alone means it can never be the worst episode.

That and Beverly climaxing

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Comrade Fakename posted:

Kind of amazing it was Kes who turned out to be a sex offender.

Hahaha

Senor Tron posted:

I'm always sad they got rid of Kes, because the idea of seeing her entire lifespan over the course of the show was great.

It would never have worked though, since the show wasn't allowed to have story arcs.

Sometimes I imagine the actors going up to Rick Berman: "I wanna leave the show."
Berman: "you can't leave. Nobody leaves." *gets a gun out of his desk drawer* "the viewers wouldn't understand."

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I always found that scene really interesting. Spock is pissed as gently caress at her, shown from the moment he bats the phaser out of her hand, he's just so disappointed in her. Then he again gives in to anger when he melds with her and forces his way in, but when it yields nothing, Spock sounds shaken and heartbroken, not just because of how she disappointed him, but because of the atrocity he just let himself commit because he lost control. I mean, there's a bit of "baby why you making me hit you" wrapped up in that and could've been handled better, but I like how it shows a flawed Spock.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

BioEnchanted posted:

I just watched the season 3 epsiode with the Shelliack. I loved Picard trolling them at the end by pulling the same poo poo they were pulling on him, letting the comm ring out for a full minute.

I loved episodes with powerful, mysterious and truly 'alien' aliens as a kid. It probably worked so well because the rarely did it, but I would've liked to see more of those.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Watching Mudd's Women and the special make-up and creature effects on actor Jim Goodwin are remarkable. I wonder what kind of alien he's supposed to be ?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Orv posted:

Roving Parisian gangs burn the Picard vineyards to the ground, forcing John Luc back into Starfleet. to shoot them from his vineyard buggy

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Orv posted:

That's just the first episode of course.

Oh oh and Brent Spiner should be The Voice of The Buggy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Roadie posted:

That ep is also great because it cements the respect the crew have for each other. When Beverly says "I think something is wrong with the universe", the senior staff immediately start hooking up the negative space wedgie scanners and the "are you sure" only happens after they've done that.

Spock: captain, our female officer thinks there might be cloaked aliens onboard the ship, planning a takeover.

Kirk: Bones, thoughts? Hysteria? Menopause?

Bones: you wanna slap her or shall I?

Kirk: both.