Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Baka-nin posted:

In the UK trek would show once a week (Tuesday I believe) on BBC 2 after the simpsons, after that the shows were premièred on cable and when it was finished Trek shows were used to fill out Sky One's schedule after its attempts at original programming fell through and it was just left with the simpsons. You could watch something like four to eight episodes of TNG (in random order which made two parters a real pain) a day, and about the same for Voyager. DS9 was shown once a day at six o'clock in the morning, I discovered that while waiting for a taxi to the airport.

It got better in the mid 2000's though, around about the time DVD sales for tv shows became really big, Sky added DS9 back into the mix.

I miss the 90's, back when BBC2 would have their established cult TV slot and you'd get TNG on Wednesdays, DS9 on Thursdays, TOS on Fridays and Voyager on Sunday. Interspersed with the likes of Sliders, Quantum Leap, Space Precinct and numerous ITC shows like Tha Champions and Randall and Hopkirk...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Tsaedje posted:

The whole episode was. For context, at the time, the leader of the IRA wasn't allowed to use his own voice on TV and had to be overdubbed by a creepier one.

It was originally banned on BBC2 (and I don't think it was ever broadcast, however someone I knew claimed to see it on one of the last repeat runs), however Sky did show it, albeit with the 'unified in 2024' line removed.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

On the subject of video games, was DS9: Harbinger a slow buggy piece of crap, or was it just my mid-90s computer not being able to handle it?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

How has it taken me over 15 years to realize Kira got braids when she had her hair redone for Season 7?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Pakled posted:

First time viewing it on a non-SD TV, perhaps? :v:

It was that obvious? :)

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Didn't they start filming DS9 before they had cast Terry Farrell as Dax?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

After The War posted:

Patrick Stewart said that, on first catching Red Dwarf, it was close enough to TNG that he was already reaching for the phone to call his lawyer when he realized how funny it was.

Wasn't that also because he was watching Red Dwarf's 'Thanks for the Memory', which he found was really similar to TNG's 'Clues'?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I doubt it will be available anywhere in Canada. A guy I work with his dad is doing CGI for it and according to him there are zero plans to make it available anywhere here.

It's like they want people to pirate it.

Space said ages ago that they would be broadcasting it and have been hosting the geolocked promo material.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Trip report: DS9 Season 1, episode 12 "Battle Lines"

Galileo Seven meets A Taste of Armageddon. Not bad, somewhat interesting moral quandary for Bashir, although cut short as they just "welp" out of there. I also didn't remember Opaka staying behind this early in the show's run, I think this only like her second appearance. For some reason I thought she was in the show a lot more. I vaguely recall they do see her again later as she hinted at the end.

I wish I could have seen the conversation where Sisko comes back and has to explain to the Bajorans how he took their spiritual leader on her first trip through this new wormhole and managed to get her killed however was able to bring everyone else back alive.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

The DS9 book only goes through season four.

He also did an X-Files book.

It's still odd seeing that DS9 cover, since the UK edition had Deep Space Nine itself on the cover rather than the Defiant!

The sad thing is that they stopped because Paramount were cracking down on unofficial Star Trek material in the late 90's, and the publisher of the Nitpicker Guides panicked and decided to stop them. The thing is that of all the unofficial material that was coming out, the Nitpicker Guides would probably have been one of the few publications safe from the crackdown since they would be considered parody - most of the other stuff was episode guides and things.

A messageboard was set up to continue the nitpicking (and is still going nearly 20 years later!), but it's very clear that it was set up in the late 90's and has never been updated!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I contributed to the letter-writing campaigns for seasons 4 and (what would have been) 5, so I’m willing to accept blame for 25% of Enterprise.

In fairness, I was young and stupid.

But did you pay money to Save Enterprise?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Tsaedje posted:

It's the same as deciding to make Michael part of Sarek and Spock's family. The plot works just as well, if not better, if it's a different Vulcan who adopted her, but it's got to be a callback, and now Spock's got a human sister he never thought to mention.

It's a shame Enterprise is so disliked, as T'Pol would have been a perfect alternate foster parent for Michael - she already has more sympathy towards humans and it would have given you a tie in to the past.

Of course, trying to get Jolene Blalock back on anything Trek related might be difficult though...

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

galenanorth posted:

"The Swarm" is also good, but the conclusion with The Doctor having lost his memory and this confusingly never being referenced again makes the ending a little anticlimactic.

It is very briefly mentioned at the beginning of Future’s End, part 2, but the first chunk of season 3 is a bit of a mess continuity wise with episodes 1,2,5 and 7 being made as part of Season 2 and the others being made at the beginning of Season 3. Of the first 7 episodes, The Swarm was the last of the 7 to be made, so subsequent episodes which should have referenced it were already long completed.

Of course at the same time that would mean episodes having long term consequences, and we know how much Voyager loves them...

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m struggling to remember the holodeck episodes from Seasons 6/7

You're extremely fortunate to have forgotten not one but two scintillating episodes set in Fair Haven.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

So it's just Red Dwarf? The computer AI provides Geordi (who is all alone on his ship) a hologram of his dead crewmate so that he doesn't go crazy.

All we need is for a hyper evolved Spot to join him...

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

I wonder how much better Neelix would have been had they not gone with the bizarre "aliens = emotional / Starfleet = always stoic and emotionless" attitude the actors were forced to follow, and so he didn't seem so over the top?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Astroman posted:

I think BF does some Star Trek but it's like licensed fiction with new characters. Which is too bad, because so many of the actors are still alive and would be willing--just look at how many did fan films.

Wasn't it some German licensed fiction which Big Finish adapted?

I've got to think with the new resurgence in Trek (or whatever's causing them to commission several new series) the chances of BF getting permission to do 'proper' Trek is minimal. Even though there's not a chance CBS would ever do something like them...

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Timby posted:

So she approached Rick Berman and asked if she could do a part-time role in the seventh season, just 13 episodes. She pointed out, justifiably so, that DS9 had so many ancillary characters that it's not like anyone would miss Jadzia if she were gone for an episode or two.

Berman essentially said, "gently caress that noise, you're doing all 26 or you're not doing the show at all." Farrell had had enough of Berman's sexual harassment and had no desire to appear in 26 episodes, so she let her contract run out.

What’s sillier is that Cirroc Lofton, despite being a credited star of the show probably was in less than 50% of each season and was in fewer episodes than some recurring cast members. They could have easily accommodated Farrell’s request!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Disaster is how my kid learned where babies come from

Disaster was the episode which made me a Star Trek fan. Don’t know whether to thank it or not...

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

jeeves posted:

What I don't get is their loving love for Discovery. I think it may be because the podcasters both work in tv/film production so the technical of the series look great and are top notch. It is just seriously some of the worst writing around, way worse than the last season of Game of Thrones, and that was some serious poo poo.

For me it's their complete unequivocal love for every single second of Discovery and complete refusal to say anything negative about it - including the comics which from their descriptions sound like complete and total fanwank. Didn't think The Trouble with Edward was a laugh-a-minute comedy masterpiece? Then you must be a 'Not my Star Trek' hater.

I'm sure a bit of negativity wouldn't destroy any special relationship they've established so far...

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

piratepilates posted:

I could be wrong but I think the hirogen are only main plotlines in like 4 or 5 episodes.

As well as an episode in Season 7 where despite jumping ahead 30,000 light years, Voyager bumps into them and no-one seems to either care, or ask how the Hirogen also travelled so far.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Cross-Section posted:

So the first issue of the Picard show prequel comic came out today, and, okay, huh:

So the Hobus Supernova is far more of a climate change-y analogy than it was in the JJ films; something everyone seems to know about long in advance but the Romulans are dragging their feet in getting assistance. Picard's an Admiral no longer in command of the Enterprise but on one of the ugly ships from STO, leading a task force fast-built by Geordi at Utopia Planetia to evacuate colonies in the "blast zone". Anyway they go to one of these colonies but whoops turns out the Romulans there are using a less-evolved race of sentients for manual labor, and they don't want them evacuated (nor does Picard have the space for them). Jean Luc ain't happy.

Is the artwork inside any better than that horrendous Photoshop nightmare they decided to put out as a cover?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

ruddiger posted:

Looks like someone made Sisko and Kira jerseys, but I was hoping to get a Rom one (he wore number 13).

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/09/12/anovos-announces-star-trek-ds9-baseball-jersey-pre-orders/

For real authenticity you need a Kira and a Nerys shirt, since they hosed up and had her wearing shirts with both names!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Snow Cone Capone posted:

They're blu-rays so I dunno if I have that option :(

The TOS blurays do that rare decent thing of giving you the choice of watching the original effects or the remastered effects.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I would watch a John Cho Sulu spinoff set aboard the Kelvinverse Excelsior.

Put Kelvinverse Tuvok in it too, go hog wild

I’d love to see this just for the Team Takei meltdown. God knows that George himself is awesome, but his social media presence has become the most painful thing to watch...

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

People give Quark too much poo poo for that incident imo. He just wanted to sell a piece of stolen art. No way he could have known this was a strike team going after Jadzia.

Isn't the Quark issue from 'Invasive Procedures', where Quark lets a group of terrorists including Klingon Tuvok onto the station so they can steal Dax from Jazdia to give to a Trill who wasn't good enough to be joined?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

To be honest, if they used money from CBS All Access to fund the restoration of DS9/Voyager and then released them one episode a week as CBSAA exclusives, they would probably recoup the costs from new subscribers.
Then when they’ve completed them, you can put them out on bluray and/or sell them to Netflix.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Angry Salami posted:

I don't know, I think they did a good job of always keeping the transporter as something the crew weren't really comfortable with, and always treating it as an experimental device that was only used in emergencies.

It was like that for the first few seasons, however they slowly started using it more up to the point where in one episode near the end Travis lamented that they weren't using the shuttlepods as much as they were more comfortable with using the transporter all the time.

It's still a shame that we didn't get the Enterprise which was originally planned, where they were going to spend most of season 1 on Earth building up to the launch of Enterprise, however UPN insisted that they go out into space straight away.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

From what I remember, the episode was a misguided attempt to wrap up Trek as a whole (it was called a Valentine to the fans), rather than just Enterprise, and so bringing in portly Riker and British Troi was their way of bringing the series together. Of course it ended up looking more like a gently caress you to the Enterprise cast and fans by making them second fiddle in their own finale, plus they make a big deal about Archers amazing speech which becomes a cornerstone of the founding of the Federation only to decide it’s not worth showing and walk away.

I don’t have an issue with the Enterprise parts of the finale - to be honest the idea of jumping into the future and having the crew on their way to decommission Enterprise when they have to help Shran isn’t a bad one - it’s shoehorning in Riker and Troi which spoils it.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

The faces at the window are a wonderful eerie moment but everything else about that episode is terrible. The plot makes no sense at all -- I'd actually put it right down there with Spock's Brain and The Alternative Factor. And the pacing drags very badly, to the point that there are actual scenes of people reading long strings of numbers to each other. (Really.) And you're supposed to pay attention to the all those long numbers because believe it or not they're actually a plot point. The writer apparently wanted to do an overpopulation show but I have no idea what the actual message about it is supposed to be.

Isn't that the one where the aliens of the week thought Kirk would fall in love with the woman who was on the empty Enterprise and abandon everything to be with her? Sounds like a plan someone didn't think through...

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

zoux posted:

And also you don't know a single thing about the crew yet because it's literally the first post-pilot episode so maybe this is just how they act. Also it's infected the robot somehow.

That episode pisses me off

Plus it moved Wesley Crusher from 'annoying child' to 'why the gently caress hasn't he been locked in his room for the rest of forever' after he caused the whole ship in distress dilemma and instead gets rewarded and praised at the end.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Longbaugh01 posted:

You know, James Cromwell is probably up there on the guest/supporting list. Oblivious leader in a TNG episode, the full mask alien just mentioned in the DS9 episode with the Klingulans, and of course the second Zephram Cochran.

Plus playing a Gamma Quadrant alien who helps Quark disarm a torpedo in DS9

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Longbaugh01 posted:

How can I be this many episodes deep and still no one on the show has explained why the ship has articulated warp nacelles and has to move them to go to warp? (Unless I missed some dialogue.)

You didn’t miss anything - the nacelles tilt to allow Voyager to travel past the warp speed limit from TNG but it was never explained on screen, only in behind the scenes documentation.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Honestly it would've been better if it cut off at BABYLON FIVE rather than going into the cheesy 90s heads looking at camera.

i can't help but think they should have figured out what the cast were going to do when turning to the camera - some are looking solemn, some grinning like idiots, some turning around and others already facing the camera.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Wasn't Wang suspended for turning up high and so didn't appear in a few a few episodes of season 3?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Wasn't a lot of the Native American nonsense brought on by that sham 'expert' they hired due to them having Chakotay as a character?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

IIRC they acknowledged afterwards that killing Li was a mistake - at the time they weren’t sure what to do with him after the opening trilogy.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Plus give us more bloopers and an entire reel of Bashir intentionally loving up his robot lines

I'm all after the first take of Avery Brooks playing Joran which they allegedly had to reshoot as his performance was considered too scary!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

They were supposed to be sensors, which would tie in with Voyager being a science vessel. Unfortunately, much like the tilting nacelles, this was another thing explained in supporting media, but never on the show itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Zurui posted:

IIRC this was commonly accepted canon until TNG. Some fan sources had TOS in the 25th or 26th century.

Dialogue in The Squire of Gothos implies that TOS is set 900 years after the 18th century!