Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Leonard Nimoy: Melllvar, you have to respect your actors. When I directed Star Trek IV, I got a magnificent performance out of Bill because I respected him so much.

William Shatner: And when I directed Star Trek V, I got a magnificent performance out of me, because I respected me so much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Pakled posted:

Are you saying that Kirk-fu isn't the ultimate evolution of martial arts?

Maybe in the 23rd century it was, but I think we all know what the ultimate evolution is NOW.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I could absolutely buy that Barclay just breezed through tests and exams, and it's the real world where he has trouble. That happens in real life.

What's less apparent is how he ever got promoted.

He's old enough that he was probably an Ensign for like 10 years before making Lt.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Still more work than DS9 s7 would have been.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
E: double post

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 11, 2017

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Except that they used a variation of this trick to hide a bunch of telepaths while traveling through some anti-telepaths race's region of space.

Yeah but that was only for a few hours at a time.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

TheBigAristotle posted:

I like that episode. I bought Picard as Galen off Amazon for like 6 bucks to put on my desk at work. He came with the artifact scanner and the Stone of Gol :3:

Yeah Gambit is cool. I dunno why some people don't like it.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

WickedHate posted:

TECHNICALLY Vic's program was on 24/7. Heh, I hope someone got probated for that blunder.

TECHNICALLY it was 26/7

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

FuturePastNow posted:

Enterprise actually has a sequel to that episode that's even better. And probably one of the best episodes of Enterprise.

IIRC it's actually a prequel to that episode - but a sequel to "The Tholian Web."

Pwnstar posted:

When it came up he said it was a "long story." I'm choosing to believe he somehow really knocked her up through mad science because that's funnier.

I always assumed there was an adoption or surrogacy involved, and he pretended to be disappointed to learn that he was sterile. Or maybe being a scuzzball with super-advanced medical knowledge, he convinced his wife that it was HER fault.

Eh, maybe not; I think that may be my favorite Voyager episode, don't want to taint its memory.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
His tastes evolved later, of course.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I suppose I always pictured teriyaki or KC style BBQ sauce.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

That replicator is functioning exactly as intended, though.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

I can teach you
How to hunt for targh

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Yes they did, and also appeared on TNG. But they were created in order to have a "rebel faction" to cause "tension" on the next series.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

FuturePastNow posted:

Someone earlier in this thread, i think, called Patrick Stewart an English redneck.

He likes fast cars, hot women, and fight scenes. When he and Spiner got more creative control over their characters, we got Insurrection and Nemesis.

I mean he's from the English North, which is like the American South. Everyone has a weird accent and no class.

e: but they are much nicer

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Geordi does use the expression "beaucoup trouble" at one point, which made me think he was from Louisiana.

But of course Sisko is the one canonically fron Louisiana, so :shrug:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Payndz posted:

Because it's funnier. (And if the B/W filter was just over people's eyes, we the audience should still have seen them in colour. Unless the computer thought of that and put a filter over the TV camera too. But then the Doctor wouldn't have been in colour when he first came in, and aaabueblnwgffgwjwk)

The holodeck probably has some device that can literally desaturate the light inside it.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

CPColin posted:

It's an anti-time anomaly, so it should have been visible the first time they went to the Deveron System in the future. Also, Data says three inverse tachyon beams are all converging and they appear to have been fired from the same ship, but Pasteur fired one of them.

More to the point, the anti-time anomaly shouldn't have appeared later on, even if they did do something to create it.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Best Picard monologue = "The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth, etc."

It had a huge impact on my ethical development anyway.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
TBQH there is nothing more honorable than taking a small ship, crewed by a band of warriors bonded by their loyalty to their commander, up against all odds fighting the most fearsome foe the Empire has ever known. If I were a Klingon general, I would do everything I could to hold on to that command.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

I still want a space opera where everyone's wearing old sailing ship uniforms:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes, maybe?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Patrick Stewart is a British redneck.

Well he is from the North of England, which is like the American South in that the people act friendlier and have a different accent.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Knormal posted:

I'm more curious about how Sherwood Forrest is somehow in Joshua Tree, where there isn't a real tree for hundreds of miles.

It is probably not really to scale.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

TNG is older now than TOS was when TNG first came out.

This has been true since 2008 though.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Death Zebra posted:

The other thing I find strange is when he later explains that he was going to throw the fight against the last Jem'hadar in By Inferno's Light because he was growing weary of battle but isn't constant battle the Klingon afterlife?

That's why Martok didn't commit suicide after being captured, for sure.

I don't think Worf was going to throw the fight, though, he was just really beat up (though not in spirit, thanks to his Klingon mind-meld with Martok) and was going to lose.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

FlamingLiberal posted:

Still ridiculous that they decide to launch their test weapon on the actual target instead of, you know, something closer and one that won't give away their plans. Even worse, we find out later that they were already doing tests of the weapon on moons.

You can't seriously be blaming them for blowing up Florida the first chance they got.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Family Video still exists where I live (NC) and usually shares a building with Marco's Pizza.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
If I were a costume designer I would LIVE to piss off cosplayers.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Starfleet is actually supposed to be a combination of the NOAA, the USPHS, NASA, and the USCG. They wear uniforms and have ranks and various weapons but aren't focused on warfighting as their primary mission.

I mean, you KNOW what their mission is, they state it during the credits every episode and in several films.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

McNally posted:

She's a space therapist. I've known plenty of do-gooder types who are drawn to the military because they want to help people and people in the military really need help.

And the rank makes sense because medical types make rank faster and easier as an incentive for them to stay in.

What's completely ridiculous is the idea that a medical officer (Troi or Crusher) could get command certification by taking a weekend course.

Actually, no, I take that back. That's stupid enough to be a real thing.

Agreed, anyone willing to kill Geordi deserves a command-level rank.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
It's not a sunset, it's just a sun.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

BrandonGK posted:

Certacean Ops.

Nah, they didn't introduce that until after they realized the dire need for it in Star Trek IV

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Angry Salami posted:

I always thought it was a shame they had her being dead be a last-minute twist. I think you could get a cool story out of the crew finding out halfway through she was already dead, and debating whether to tell her. As it is, it feels tacked-on.

Brilliant idea. Maybe someone from the Discover writers' room is trolling this thread for ideas and will be able to use this one in the event the show makes it past season 1.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Angry Salami posted:

If the fungus drive doesn't end up throwing someone back in time, it ain't proper Star Trek!

It seems like that already happened, if Stamets' reflection at the end is any indication...

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah it's weird how much trek trivia shows up in discovery while the core curriculum isn't covered.

:drat:

No but seriously, my wife and I liked the last one a lot. There's some serious science geeking-out (including an F-bomb!!!!), a tough moral question (they eventually come around to the right answer) , and some decent action. Plus, Rainn Wilson as Mudd was solid - I hope by his next appearance he's shaved the beard and rocks that massive 'stache.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Barclay: "Commande,r has anything strange ever happened to you during transport?"
Geordi: *Thinks about the time he was trapped on another plane of existence for days where someone tried to kill him and he watched his own funeral* "No, not really"

That hadn't happened yet, though...

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Yeah it did. Two seasons previously I think, memory alpha notes it too

Whoops, ain't I the rear end in a top hat.

I flipped the seasons of those episodes. Great shame :eng99:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
It's really an homage, not a parody. And in some ways it's basically just a more self-aware remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
The computer's run enough of Riker's holodeck programs by that part of the series that it knows exactly what Riker means when he asks for a metal table.