Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

Matalas was born in New Jersey in 1975. I guess he wasn't content with M'Talas Prime as a self-insert...

I was wondering where the gently caress New Jersey came from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
In HD, when they're shooting the big bug in Remmick's burned-out chest cavity, you can see blood dripping from his bones

Arivia posted:

they were apparently debating bringing them back for the latest season of picard but swerved for other stuff

They gave a bogus reason of "the bugs kill their hosts and we didn't want to commit to that" but that's bullshit because we saw Admiral Quinn alive and well at the end of the episode.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 29, 2023

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I don’t think that was a conscious decision, I think that was basically just “poo poo, we’re up against the deadline, let’s just do what we already know how to do”

Doing The Naked Now was a desperation move because they were already behind schedule and needed something to shoot.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
The thing that strikes me as weird about the wormhole aliens is that while the Prophets are all utterly up their own asses about ~linear beings~ and uttering lines so full of ominous portent even the main characters struggle to comprehend them... the Pah Wraiths (who also came from the wormhole, right?) just seem like any other people, except consumed with a weird blood feud against the Prophets.

Like, shouldn't the Pah Wraiths also be ~non-linear beings~?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Generations has some of the TNG cast’s best acting and I keep waiting for a general reevaluation of the movie to happen because of it.

It’s TNG’s Final Frontier; messy execution, definitive character moments.

It's absolutely the most TNG of the TNG movies.

zoux posted:

I think it was a huge mistake to give him emotions, once you give him his ultimate goal, the character loses its distinctiveness and becomes much less interesting.

Giving him emotions doesn't mean the quest ends; it's not going to make him instantly understand every cultural behavior and reference, and he'll still need help identifying and coping with all the new feelings and sensations suddenly dumped on him.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Eighties ZomCom posted:

This would suggest that there's also a Planet England out there somewhere :brexit:

oh so that’s what happened to Turkana IV

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tighclops posted:

It's been a while but weren't there conference table scenes in First Contact and Nemesis at least

there was indeed a Nemesis conference room scene:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Khanstant posted:

Picard proved continuity, consistent characters, good plots, sensible writing are all totally optional considerations. No reason we can't get Michelle Yeoh to play a new character completely unrelated to the 2 aborted disasters of a role she was originally given. No reason to make section 31 a thing when they could just make Michelle a different person. Ffs if I have to pretend Jack is related to Picard I can ignore that a new character looks exactly like an old one.

Or hell, Paris already did that poo poo and it was fine

There's absolutely no way she doesn't play Georgiou after the incredibly overwrought "to know [her] is to love [her] is to know [her]"-style eulogy they filmed in Discovery where every main character gets up and tearfully recounts how the murderous tyrant was actually the best person they'd ever met

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Der Kyhe posted:

But yeah no, we get that "Starfleet academy show" that has been the lazy option since Roddenberry

Honestly I'm fine with "Starfleet Academy", I'm just deeply opposed to it being "Kirk and Spock at Starfleet Academy"

They want to put it in the 32nd century? Okay cool

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nessus posted:

This actually would be pretty interesting and I think you could rig it well, especially if the planet joined the Federation under somewhat weird circumstances and the ship that is hosting/is detailed to support the diplomatic mission can do some runabout-style near-space exploration business. For some reason I'm imagining an adjacent nebula and the big season 2 finale twist is that they've successfully bought off Niven and thrown Pournelle in a vapor lock, and it's now The Mote in God's Eye, but with Starfleet.

Pournelle's dead, so no need to worry about him any more anyway.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Khanstant posted:

Bringing people back to life is wrong, period, full stop.

It's okay to have that position but it's one that Trek has generally disagreed with.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Strom Cuzewon posted:

SfS has some fun stuff at the start with all the heist stuff, it's the middle that reall sags. But tbh that film could be 90% hot garbage and I'd still love it just for the ending scene on Vulcan.

"why would you do this?"
"because the needs of the one, outweigh the needs of the many"
:unsmith:

also had wicked jacket game:

(I love the ST3 Starfleet bomber jacket)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I'm gonna buck here and say Spock should be played by the non-Muppet actor.

Sam the Eagle's gotta be Sarek.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

zoux posted:

If you were in the big chair would you go with the classic and professional "Engage", or something insouciant like "Hit it"

“Let’s kick this pig!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

CainFortea posted:

The system didn't use the replicator material because the replicator material isn't anything to do with the teleporter system.

The transporter tech started a second Annular Confinement Beam because the original was loosing cohesion, since Nervala IV is covered in that weird energetic cloud cover. Once it was through the cloud, the tech just turned off the 2nd beam.

however things had lined up just right so that the 2nd beam bounced back instead of just dissapating, and another riker was rematerialized. It's where the 2nd material comes from that is never really covered, but it could be the atmospheric distortion field itself might have supplied it.

So as far as everyone on the potemkin knew, the riker that showed up was the only one cause that's where the matter stream ended up.

I’m ever more convinced that the best explanation for second Riker is “Geordi and Data misinterpreted the sensor data, Tom Riker is from a parallel (but not mirror) dimension”

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

zoux posted:

e: that reminds me, in TWOK, when Spock is tracking USS Reliant, he never uses the direct article in describing maneuvers, it's never "the" reliant it's always just "Reliant". I'm trying to think if this was done anywhere else.

It wasn't consistent but I'm certain TMP had a few uses of Enterprise sans article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
In retrospect the bigger betrayal of BSG by far was when they decided to start hitting the reset button in the third season.