Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MikeJF posted:

The ready room is bottom of the pic and the conference room is the top, we never saw the back area to the left.

executive shitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CainFortea posted:

This is a thing in World of Warcraft. There's a portal that mages can make that teleports whoever clicks on it to the city of Dalaran. But Dalaran got up and flew to other places so there's just a crater left.

This has been happening for well over a decade now and people will still click on mage portals without checking the destination and then start falling.

The other part of this is that mages have slowfall so they don’t die when they take that portal, and for half the player base (Alliance) it’s a useful teleport to a part of the world that’s otherwise hard to access quickly.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MikeJF posted:

To be fair my PC has been piecemeal upgraded for decades without ever having a complete replacement moment.

the computer of mikejf

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Counterpoint, split threads are dumb unless you want a show specific one talking episodes week to week. This is all part of the franchise now. Having some conversation about the evolution of the 24th and 25th century Star Trek universe is actually something new and fun to discuss and beats the hell out of the 150th iteration of "EXPERIENCE BIJ" or that old cracking chestnut "You actually die when you are transported."

i'm okay with experience bij but then again i'm an iphone user so i just have things that work and i enjoy them and they stay that way for years, instead of switching endlessly between the hot new android things and getting frustrated when none of them is without infinitesimal error

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

jeeves posted:

What's up with the Nova class-- I feel like it being so tiny is conducive to so many nerds online having fantasies about it?

It's the ship that I see the most like fan man floor / deck plans of.

... not like I scour the internet for fan made deck plans of Trek starships every so often...

It's the replacement for the Galaxy as a primary exploration ship, and it's got some issues with the official blueprints from a quick look at the memory alpha page. so that means there's lore nerds who want to make a fixed version, and people who have one in STO/fanfiction/tabletop RPGs also making their own copies. it kind of just hit perfectly to be the ship everyone wants to make their own version of.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tighclops posted:

Wait what, I thought it was the replacement for the Oberth

from M-A: "According to Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual, the Nova-class is the successor of the Galaxy-class starship as the next primary explorer ship of Starfleet. Four different concept designs were presented on pages 177 and 178. The direction the actual Nova-class eventually followed was the down-sized ship with less internal volume that allowed each ship to be refitted for specific mission types and an angular-curvilinear shape designed to allow an enhanced utilization of warp energy."

(other sources may disagree)

ah yep, a couple paragraphs later: "According to the Star Trek: Starship Spotter, the Nova-class became the replacement to the Oberth-class as a research and science ship. The ship was equipped with only two cargo management units and two shuttlecraft. The phaser arrays were classified as type X, the same as the Galaxy and Intrepid-class phasers. The ship had a mass of 110,000 metric tons."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

EDIT: Of course it would be boring TV to just show the crew bussing around the diplomatic core when nothing interesting happens. Captain makes the contact, diplomatic core starts the talks, the ship just sits idle on the orbit while negotiations happen and everyone goes home when the subspace call number is selected.

This setup with added jeopardy or dilemma is like 1/10th of all TNG episodes though.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
if odo sucked himself off would that be an odoboros

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Yeah no, that sucks.

I don't know why if they were going to do a Federation echo of DS9 they didn't play with the fact that a saucer and the rings have similar shapes and do a saucer-stack that resembles DS9 in profile, something like (2 minute kitbash):

There’s a comment from Probert on the linked page that explains it: he didn’t actually get to design that version of DS9 but was instead hired to model what the writers put down as a description in the novel. So he was saddled with the central structure connecting to the pylons, the big park window, that kind of stuff, and tried to make it not suck.

It’s the kind of design that would have been tossed out if someone actually did studies and prototyped models, but it probably sounded great in written word.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Did they ever address the implications of that TNG episode where they discover that warp drive is destroying the universe? I can’t remember anything about it in DS9 and only one or two throwaway lines in TNG.

Yeah avoiding that is why Voyager has those nacelles that move to go into warp.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

Klingon teleporter kills you on purpose every time, so that you can die as a warrior many times over

The Klingon transporter takes exactly one minute and ten seconds longer than any other species. That extra time is built in for a side trip to the Black Mountain, during which Kahless gives you personally a judgment on how honorable you are.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Timby posted:

Voyager.

Although I just started Voyager last night and Paris goes "it's the Voyager!" when seeing the reflection in Parallax. Speaking of, this is definitely my favourite Star Trek and it's soooooooooo good already.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
No I'm serious this is my favourite Trek and I'm so glad to be back with my favourites. I missed them all, even Neelix.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Well Paris says he's hungry and he's a demon and he eats children, so he wins.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The end of S1 - the Kobol’s Last Gleaming two-parter - is when the God stuff starts coming to the forefront for Roslin, with the prophecy of Earth and the first sight of the opera house.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Khanstant posted:

I tried watching BSG recently and just gave up, I only saw parts of it when it was relatively new and didn't get through enough to critique it besides I just didn't enjoy watching it, characters all so murky off the bat there's really nobody I'm invested in and if the show is gonna be stressing tension all the time I need someone to get behind to want to see it through for them.

You started with the miniseries right? Just checking, because that’s where all the character intros are.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Doctor Who will change it's rules, but it's usually something they make a Deal out of because they care about the past and past stories. If nothing else TNG/DS9/Voy are more episodic generally than the average nuWho season.

Time travel often feels very chaotic to viewers, I think. A lot of people complained about Moffat's clockwork plots (one of the new Doctor Who writers/showrunners) feeling like no rules applied, although they were internally consistent, just opaque and incredibly woven into themselves.

People also have the same opinions about a lot of Star Trek time travel episodes unless it's really, really clear.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Basically thousands of Star Trek episodes are happening every day all across Starfleet. We only ever see the ones that happen to the Enterprise or Voyager.

excuse me what about when they shrunk the Defiant

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

They shrunk a runabout and it flew around inside the Defiant :eng101:

oh i didn't know that i've never actually seen the episode. BUT STILL, NOT VOYAGER OR AN ENTERPRISE.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

If I can be honest, I had checked out on Discovery the second I learned "Secret human Spock Sister" was a thing. I didn't want to invest in a show where that was an important character point, even if in the end it eventually became irrelevant. I just didn't have faith in the decision making if that was a choice that was made from day 1.

my mom asked yesterday why i wasn't watching the new star trek series and i explained how they'd added yet another sibling of spock's and she got it

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

jeeves posted:

Remember that first scene on Disco episode 1 when where they were lost in a storm and summoned their ship by drawing a logo of ... Star Trek in the sand?

Even though that logo was of the Enterprise and only the Enterprise at the time?

Yikes.

No I don’t but if it’s on YouTube I’d love to see this goofy loving thing

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

This isn’t a video and also it doesn’t seem to be a problem going by that article link Jeeves added. It’s a Starfleet insignia, cool.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, the whole 'the arrowhead is only the Enterprise' thing was dropped so early in the franchise that I don't think it's even a valid nitpick.

the article jeeves linked has a letter from Bob Justman saying it wasn't true in the production during 1967 (so season 2), so yeah, not a thing at all

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
okay so the infamous "there's coffee in that nebula" line is 5 episodes in and is literally the punchline to an opener about janeway trying to connect with her crew and be more than a captain to them and having to deal with neelix's "coffee" replacement. in context it makes a lot more sense than it's made a mockery of.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Wee Bairns posted:

The 70's and 80's tech manuals and fanzines had a bunch of different created patches for every drat ship in the fleet, under the erroneous idea every one needed it's own, before canon overrode their ideas.

okay but what's the patch for the uss saddam hussein

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Wee Bairns posted:

This actually made me curious, and while beta canon doesn't seem to have his full name as a ship, there appears to be a USS Saddam in the original Starfleet Command game.
I'm not even attempting a badge, lol.

So yeah, it's from like omega-canon. If you're not aware there's a group of chuds with an actual license (that they got from a book publisher) - an incredibly lenient perpetual contract back in like the 1970s specifically for making games (mostly their starship wargame Star Fleet Battles), and they've added a trazillion extra war-based ships to every faction (they only have rights to use TOS and TAS content, not even the TOS movies). They added a bunch of Starfleet ships named after famous human generals and commanders, and around the time of the first Gulf War (so when Saddam was considered an ally of the US) one of them was infamously named the USS Saddam Hussein.

Starfleet Command is based on that weirdo license, so that's why the USS Saddam is included in it.

None of the Star Fleet Battles stuff is at all worth looking into. Read every single scrap of licensed fiction, look at every comic, play every other game before you touch that stuff. It's a historical oddity and it's only good for gawking at.

e: unrelated but to circle back we shouldn't be making fun of janeway for saying there's coffee in that nebula. we SHOULD be making fun of the episode's b-plot being Chakotay helping her find her loving spirit animal. I SWEAR TO GOD I AM GOING TO poo poo ON "JAMAKE HIGHWATER"'S GRAVE YOU GRAY WOLF CHARLATAN BASTARD

Arivia fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 26, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
right now that i'm watching voyager i get to listen to the delta flyers too, hell yeah

it would be neat if there were similar podcasts for the other series (I guess shuttlepod one or whatever it is counts for enterprise, but I mean more TNG/DS9)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

V-Men posted:

Yeah I definitely enjoy the perspective of people from the show vs the opinions of hardcore Trekkies. For the latter, that's what this thread is for.

yeah i have a lot more sympathy, i guess? realizing that these are people just trying to make good tv and not live up to like 30 years (at the time) of increasingly crushing expectations about what a star trek should be

it doesn't excuse everything but it sure makes stuff make a lot more sense going "oh yeah there were people trying to do this and this and this" along the way

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

zoux posted:

I like the sentiment here, so I'm not calling Sean out, but I wanted to ask our non-genderconforming friends if you see gender issues as presented in the Trill are analogous to the issues that transgender people have to deal with. I think in terms of acceptance it is, Koloth, Kor, and Kang don't care (woke Klingons!) and Sisko is enthusiastic about meeting Jadzia, gender is never an issue besides him calling Dax "old man" playfully. It's never an issue that Lenara Kahn was within a woman's body instead of a man's, I don't know if it's even alluded to.

Basically I just wanna know if transgender star trek fans feel repped by Dax? It's a completely fictional set up that dodges a lot of the problems that transgender folks face because they don't live in a society that unconditionally accepts that gender isn't set, so does that get in the way?

To respond to this, no I don’t think Dax is a GREAT example of a trans character. However, the whole “oh uh last time I knew this person I had a different name/body/gender” thing is a legit social problem for a lot of trans folks, and Dax was a pretty big inspiration for many nerdy trans girls, so it makes sense to “claim” her as trans. Basically don’t put Dax on a list of Good Trans Characters In Media but if a trans person goes for it it makes sense. I don’t think Sean is being performative or wrong there.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
it's fun listening to the delta flyers. garrett wang was the designated sweaty main cast member so they had to build absorbent pads into his undershirt lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arivia posted:

right now that i'm watching voyager i get to listen to the delta flyers too, hell yeah

it would be neat if there were similar podcasts for the other series (I guess shuttlepod one or whatever it is counts for enterprise, but I mean more TNG/DS9)

update: there is one! the 7th rule is cirroc lofton and aron eisenberg (rip) doing ds9 and it looks like they continued into doing tng with guest spots from people involved in those episodes. still going with lofton and eisenberg's widow.