Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Same actress as Worf's Mate, Lady Q, and the bad Andorian Woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

egon_beeblebrox posted:

No that was his brother and nephew.

Agh. Now he's going to be bummed out next time he watches Family. :smith:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

remusclaw posted:

It's unfortunate how Data regressed in the movies. Then again, the TNG movies were all pretty off on characterization, didn't Troi lose her accent?

I think she lost the accent somewhere during the show's run.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Gammatron 64 posted:

Okay, so I wrote up a Star Trek episode guide for myself and others, cutting down ones that aren't needed. So I'm leaving good episodes, ones needed for continuity, or ones that are just noteworthy or imfamous like Spock's Brain or Threshhold.

I'm less familiar with VOY and ENT, so I shamelessly stole them from guides on reddit and cut out the ones that weren't deemed required or at all good.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1E-94j3l56UtoTVtc8sRW5vlqsXciDfcFlfvfJVsAW80/edit

Because I don't want to watch every episode of Voyager, I'm using this to determine which to watch. Life is too short to watch every episode of Voyager. You know who told me I should watch all of Voyager? Aatrek did. He raped children.

So I'm almost done with Voyager, and God, this show is a slog. Even a lot of the episodes they consider "good" just loving blow. I'm like 3/4 through Workforce and I'm not even gonna finish this one because I just don't freaking care. Maybe I should just watch Neelix get the gently caress off the boat, then watch Endgame and call it a day. Then watch Enterprise.

I'm going to be moving in with a new roommate who is interested in checked out Star Trek, so I plan on showing him some choice TOS episodes, TNG and eventually DS9. It'll be nice to watch some good Star Trek again.

I'm on a Voyager watchthrough right now. Here's a guide up to where I'm at.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Gammatron 64 posted:

Good poo poo. Unfortunately I'm almost done but when you finish, this'll be useful in the future.

Maybe I will. Anything to make this rewatch more entertaining.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Watching Threshold right now. Tom Paris is acting the hell out of his deathbed scene. It's been surprisingly entertaining.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Railing Kill posted:

Don't worry. "Threshold" doesn't hit its stride until the last five minutes.

Speaking of which, there's a couple of things that have been sticking in my mind about TOS' "The Changeling." One of them is that little setting detail that makes the premise "Threshold" so stupid. NOMAD forces them to go to warp 11 in the episode, and even though Scotty says, "That's not possible!" People in the old thread mentioned something in TOS that proved how goofy the "warp 10 barrier" was, and that must be it. You would think Starfleet would have recorded that poo poo and published it. I guess nobody told Voyager's crew about it. Eh.

The other things that's been really bugging me is what happens to Uhura. She gets mind-wiped by NOMAD to the point that she can talk and talk and stuff, but her mind is completely blank. They "re-educate" her with Starfleet super.... teaching? Which is all well and good but what the gently caress her memories are all gone. The poor woman is like a brand new person! I can't tell if the scene with her learning and her lapsing into Swahili is supposed to make me feel better, or if it's just goofy. Because I guess that if she still knows Swahili, maybe she didn't get totally mind-wiped. I dunno. I just found all of it really disturbing and Voyager-esque when they blow it all off at the end of the episode, and it's never mentioned again.

It's all really inconsistent. I just assumed they change the scaling every once in awhile and anything that's past what they call "Warp 10" is probably some decimal place of 9.999

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Gaz-L posted:

Nope. 3. Edison's last captain's log says 2 other survivors

The girl and the torturer, right?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

After The War posted:

Getting Brent Spiner to do different voices is pretty much the driving force behind TNG.

Ya varmint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrLvtoKZfxY

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Baka-nin posted:

*My personal favourite Archer moment is in the Vulcan monastery episode. The Andorians beat him to a pulp not once but twice, and he still sides with them over the Vulcans at the end of the episode.

Solid episode. Have to watch it now that you've mentioned it.

Such a great cold open.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

PenguinKnight posted:

not having the borg, I reckon. they seem pretty important to the series as a whole, so maybe they can't figure out what to do afterwards :shrug:

The fallout of the Federation acquiring Transwarp tech ahead of the other Superpowers.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Or even a show back in the Delta Quadrant, showing how Voyager totally hosed up their lives and the legends around them somehow.

I've been binge watching it lately and it's amazing how every couple episodes it's brought up that Voyager is a warmongerer or destabilizer or something of the like.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
She probably got wind of it and blew a gasket. Apparently Kate Mulgrew was pretty lovely about Jeri Ryan during production. You're the first woman Captain. You're the star of the show. Production brings in a bodacious babe in a skin tight suit and gives her half decent stories where the rest of the show is pretty UGH.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Aug 15, 2016

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

WickedHate posted:

I don't like the concept of wearing heels and don't understand the appeal of seeing others in heels.

It makes your legs and rear end look good.

Still no reason for them to be in Star Trek.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Baka-nin posted:

I forget was the 37's before or after Neelix hosted a tv show and booked a juggler, but apparently the Voyager production team didn't, so we just got Neelix looking to his left going "wow" for 30 seconds.

First rule of television is "Tell, don't show."

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

FilthyImp posted:

And then Neelix is a uniformed ensign just fucks it all up.

There was a line where they accused Voyager of rampaging through the quadrant and assimilating people into their war machine.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

MikeJF posted:

That's why I always say they should do a nice, serialised setting with nations and politics and such, but just do it in a new area of space that our hero ship is exploring for the first time and getting tangled up in. Same universe, fresh setting.

They can throw in hints about what's going on back home as fanservice.

Or relatively close by, but on the other side of a superpower.

The Romulans deal with the Klingons on one side and the Federation right next to them on another side. What's the Romulan empire doing with species we don't even have access to on the far side of their space?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Cojawfee posted:

The fact that they use telepathic and empathic aliens in an official capacity is such bullshit. They could just pretend you're lying and no one would know.

"I didn't do that thing you're accusing me of."
"He's lying, captain, I can sense it."
"Well that proves it, shoot him out the airlock."

EvilTaytoMan posted:

They actually addressed this... in Babylon 5.

They addressed it in TNG. In "The Drumhead" an investigator is using a telepath and using his word alone to harass some young crewman. When Picard gives them poo poo about it, the investigator notes that Picard uses Troi's abilities when he needs it and he admits that he really shouldn't and he needs to re-evaluate his own procedures.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Cojawfee posted:

Why were the Kazon around for so long? They were so primitive, how could their reach be that far?

They stole all their tech and resources from the race that enslaved them.

e. crap. I must have had this tab open for the past 45 minutes.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

With a new warbird which pulled from the same design concepts as the Klingon bird of prey, which started out as a Romulan design anyway. It's like poetry, it rhymes :v:

Is the in-universe explanation for the similarities in Romulans and Klingon ships that one stole the tech from the other?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Pakled posted:

DS9 probably portrays Vulcans more negatively than ENT does. The only Vulcans I remember having any significant roles in DS9 were the serial killer with the transporting bullets and the rear end in a top hat Vulcan baseball team.

Don't forget the Maquis Vulcan who had to be schooled on logic by Quark.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Watching the first DS9 episode with Odo's people.

Odo: Changelings?
Female Changeling: It's a name given to us by the Solids. They meant it as an insult, but in defiance we took it and made it our own.
Girlfriend: OH! So it's their N-Word.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
https://twitter.com/sky_conway/status/770296923936784384

Must be hard for an actor to eat these days.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Cojawfee posted:

LOL at Terry Farrell leaving DS9 to be on Becker because she was done with Star Trek and then now she's on the fake Star Trek.

I watched Becker and she was written out of that before it was over as well.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

skasion posted:

Nana Visitor was loving Avery Brooks

I don't think that's true. I've not seen that before and Avery Brooks has been married for 40 years at this point.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Rhyno posted:

They had an affair.

Citation needed.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The_Doctor posted:

I never realised that TAS didn't use the real TOS theme. It's like some copyright-dodging version of the theme.

TNG doesn't use the TOS theme either. Like the TAS theme it just shares elements of it with unique changes that reflect its personality.

Those jerks not playing the same crap for 50 years.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
https://twitter.com/BryanFuller/status/771872524619489280

Ok.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Beats TMP.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

WickedHate posted:

The holodeck/suite is a lie. It's actually powered by enslaved Q's and literally transports people to newly created world that fits their specifications.

and that's why Voyager can keep the holodecks going but not the replicators.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Sanctuary Districts aren't until the 2020s. Between now and then we'll also be calling this "The Net".

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
There was that one in the crashed Jem'hedar ship as well. Just watched it yesterday.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

um, actually, i beleive you'll find changelings are intended to be demigods, as established in this memory gamma entr

Oh my god that's a thing.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

I got 2 and a half minutes in and had to check my progress through the video because I thought I surely must almost be done.

8 more minutes of this?!

Voyager's terribleness never ceases to amaze me.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 16, 2016

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Rhyno posted:

Well with nothing left to watch I decided to give Enterprise a go but the pilot is just terrible so I don't think I'm gonna do this.

If you haven't seen Enterprise before, skip ahead to the Andorian Incident. If you like it, go back and work your way through it all.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Stargate's anti-religious philosophy was thick. Whether it was mind controlling snakes or ACTUAL ascended gods, the moral of the plots was always "You don't need gods telling you what to do. Stop putting your faith in them."

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Pakled posted:

The Star Trek endorsed candidate is currently enjoying a comfortable lead in the polls, so really, we're moving in the right direction. :toot:

I like how that article brings up Conservatives who like Star Trek. How do they possibly wrap their heads around everything in the show being the absolute opposite of what they value?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Asmodai_00 posted:

Into Darkness was a garbage movie but honestly not nearly as bad as I thought it was

and than you remember it's the writer's 9/11 Truther beliefs and it all gets that bad again.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I think Jadzia is fine. If she seems weak, it's only because the rest of the cast is so strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Pakled posted:

Profit and Lace is skippable, the others aren't. :colbert:

You're not getting more Deep Space Nine and Profit and Lace is beautiful.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 10, 2016