Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Pwnstar posted:

I'm up to Season 3 of TNG and Data keeps telling people that he doesn't have feelings or emotions but he totally does. Is this supposed to be a dramatic irony thing or just conflicting writing?

It's the latter but pretend it's the former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Railing Kill posted:

Hey gang, this episode of ENT is--

:yikes:

Haha. Said it better than I could.

Anyway, this episode of ENT, "Fusion," seems to be the obligatory "female character gets raped but not really" episode. I'm not all the way through it yet, but here was my thinking:

5:00: "These Vulcans eat meat and poo poo. Maybe they're Romulan?"
6:00: "That one guy is kind of creeping on T'Pol. This might be a mind rape episode."
10:00: "That guy is definitely a creeper. Probably going to be a mind rape in this goddamn episode."
15:00: "Yeah, this guy is a creepin' weirdo. Might just be regular old rape. Don't you loving do this, Enterprise."
20:00: *Mind rape dream sequence* "gently caress you, Enterprise."

I don't think I'm oversensitive about unpleasant topics in TV. Plot is conflict, and I wouldn't mind a plot about rape if it a) were handled with the proper weight and consequence, and b) we're done to death. Unfortunately, there are more major female characters who are raped in one way or another in Trek than aren't. That's hosed up. It's at best lazy, and at worst callous.

Here's a list of major female characters in Trek. Let's see which ones are raped, in one way or another, to my knowledge (which is by no means comprehensive and my memory isn't perfect):

Nurse Chapel: yup
Dr. Crusher: :ghost:
Ezri Dax: nope!
Jadzia Dax: nope?
Guinan: nope!
Capt. Janeway: nope!
Kes: :pedo:, although I don't think they intended this to be as creepy as it was
Maj. Kira: yup
Leeta: nope!
Keiko O'Brien: nope!
Dr. Pulaski: nope!
Yeoman Rand: yup
Ens. Hoshi: ???
Seven of Nine: yup
Lt. Torres: yup (goddamn space elves)
T'Pol: yup
Deanna Troi: yup
Lt. Uhura: yup
Lt. Yar: yup...?

Ten either get raped, get mind-raped, or a rape is attempted or plotted on them. Eight do not. Not good odds for being a girl-type person in the gleaming, optimistic future of Star Trucks.

:(

Or, should I say, :sad:

National average is just shy of 20%. What is it about Space in the utopian future that causes so much rape?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
There's definitely an Enterprise episode about it. I liked that twist.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Hello, lesser Star Trek Thread!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Dark One posted:

They're very much in the pro-Roddenberry camp and Ken has been expressing increasing discomfort with the character-based storytelling of many of the episodes that were written after Gene's death. It's a big aggravating.

I think they're respectful of Gene but not shy about his faults in storytelling. They're financed by Rod Roddenberry and I always keep that in mind but I don't think that stops them from criticizing Gene.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm still not a huge fan of having Kira resign from Starfleet and devoting herself to religion.
That character was always the skeptic of the show when it came to Bajorans.

Religion was a big part of Kira's character. She was more skeptical of people using the religion for personal advantage.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Also some of the stuff they did with Sisko was a bit problematic with him leaving his family for a period

Avery Brooks not wanting the absence to last very long because it doesn't look good for a black father to abandon his wife and kids... meant nothing to the STO folks so he's still MIA 40 years later. Seriously, gently caress that game.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Duckbag posted:

You can peg this "revelation" as basically the exact moment the writers stopped giving a gently caress about the mirror universe.

You have to be a real Scrooge to get upset about something as inconsequential and fun as that.

Really? That's where you draw the line?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I think the phrase she used was that she stopped counting at 300

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Imaginary Friend

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Nebakenezzer posted:

Has anybody suggested that if you combine DS9 with Voyager's ratings it equals out to roughly TNG ratings?

At only several times TNG's budget! :pseudo:

Zesty fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 30, 2016

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

MrJacobs posted:

So that it gets blown up on the first volley? I mean you have to have something to not die instantly in a deep space ship.

You solve it by not having weapons that are 100% chance to kill without shields like they are in TNG+... you know, as if it's the past when that kind of thing hasn't been invented yet.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Because people watch it and the advertising makes back significant enough return on their investment in the rights.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
My body is ready.

Also shown, Humble Astronomy Book bundle.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Baronjutter posted:

I want to read a book about asteroids and Gene's cum fantasies.

gently caress yeah, man. :c00l:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

FuturePastNow posted:

They realized that Vulcan sideboob was the way to grab the audience

That's just Riker adding needless T&A to his self-help holodeck program. He's a lot like awful modders of today.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Kazinsal posted:

The worst part about Neelix is that Ethan Phillips is a really cool and friendly dude who deserved a much less lovely role, and he tried to make the most of it.

Neelix got much more tolerable after Kes left the show. He even had a decent episode before that (Jetrel).

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
God drat. They had a hell of a lot more guests than I thought.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

That sounds like a load of poo poo.

"It was a creative decision. She just HAPPENED to leave the Diner at the end of the season. So we used that as an excuse to write her out of the show to "inject new life". What were we to do with her just leaving the diner at the end of the season? We couldn't have written anything other than that and it most certainly did not have anything to do with her rallying the cast together for better pay."

Zesty fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 12, 2017

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm sure I'd heard about it before at some point, but the bit where Jeri Ryan recalls being asked if she'd like to be on Nemesis was funny. I'm morbidly curious to see the alternate-universe version where she enthusiastically agrees, because while I don't think it would have necessarily made the movie any better, I can't see how it could have made the movie any worse.

(I specify "enthusiastically" because the way she tells it, Rick Berman was ordered to put her in the movie, she declined, he came back with "okay... but maybe just a brief cameo at the wedding?" :wtc:)

That sounds like they wanted any screentime with her so they could stick it in the trailer.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The_Doctor posted:

The Star Trek Starships collection just came out with the Enterprise-J and hoo boy that's some insane design. It's basically a flat disc and oh so spindly, and I love it.

You can't just not post it after that! We gotta see it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I was watching The Inner Light last night. The actress that plays Picard's wife in his mind also played the alien who administered O'Brien's 20 year mind prison. It occurred to me that that might have been an intentional casting choice for that theme.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Bring back Crystal Kanar

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Big Mean Jerk posted:

just repeat to yourself "It's just a show, I should really just relax"

New thread title and lock it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The holodeck doesn't make sense no matter what. Why is it multiple stories tall if it's just using treadmills and trick perspectives? How big should they be so you can have the desired amount of people with an arm's distance between them? How much does it shuffle people around so they can properly interact with each other? How does all of this work with sound and smell being distant or not? Does every holoprogram smell like an empty featureless room?

The holodeck was portrayed the way it does so the average viewer wouldn't notice those things.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

WampaLord posted:

I feel like you need another column for "Actively Avoid" because a "No" on Essential doesn't adequately prepare one for the horribleness of episodes like Cost of Living or Profit and Lace.

"Eh, it says non-essential, but let me watch this one anywa-" :stare:

WampaLord posted:

Profit and Lace is worth skipping.

WampaLord posted:

This is good advice, though you can at least tell them to skip the obvious stinkers like Shades of Grey or Profit and Lace.

Actually, Profit and Lace is good and worth watching.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
People like to poo poo on Profit and Lace and then use it as a jumping off point to tell others to skip all Ferengi-centric episodes. The line must be drawn here!

Zesty fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 17, 2017

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
First Contact was the best TNG movie, but all TNG movies are bad.

First Contact is held back by the Borg Queen. Everything about that is awful. It would have been TNG's Wrath of Khan type of fan adoration if it was the Enterprise-D getting assimilated by the Borg and Picard was unwilling to blow it up when everyone tells him it doesn't loving matter and the right thing to do. Then instead of everything working out, actually blow up the damned ship.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 21, 2017

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
We are drunk.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

MisterBibs posted:

I imagine one of the issues with setting Discovery post-DS9 is that, as we've discussed off and on a lot of times, DS9 is the black sheep of the family with your broad potential audience. The last thing you'd want to do is base a new series, when you're trying to revive a tv franchise that the audience for needs expanding, anywhere close to the series that they don't remember and/or the one they didn't watch because it was expressly Not Your Daddy's Trek.

DS9 got more viewers than Voyager.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Cojawfee posted:

Ok, so is it ever funny?

I really wanted it to be. Followed in on my RSS feed for a while... but no, it's not funny after this first time you see it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Baronjutter posted:

Works for the shows too.

Classic Trek: bad
Animated series: awesome
TNG: Bland
DS9: Best
Voyager: Trash
Enterprise: ok, maybe.

Discovery will be 100% trash

You're stretching. It doesn't work at all.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I thought we already knew what they were doing.

Kirk and Daddy Thor time travel team up.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

gardenald posted:

Man I notice this every time I watch Duet but the rando racist Bajoran who kills Aamin Maritza is played by suuuuch a terrible actor

Wasn't he drunk in every scene?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Gonz posted:

Y'know, the Eugenics Wars took place between 1992 and 1996, and resulted in the death of over 30,000,000 people, but Voyager seems to ignore this every time an episode takes place in that decade.

The Eugenics Wars apparently never happened in Voyager's timeline. Either that, or the writers played fast and loose with canon dates.

Not to defend Voyager, but who loving cares?

Totally fine with them retconning the Eugenics wars to have taken place sometime between present day and Star Trek. That way they can make comparisons to present day without their hands being tied by a throwaway line in TOS.

The same goes for loving viewscreens in Enterprise. Christ, Goons.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm a big fan of The Voyager. The way it just transforms when it's going to warp was such a brilliant idea by an obviously handsome executive.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Brawnfire posted:

Actually it's pretty crazy how much of an impact that tiny touch has. It makes the ship feel more like a ship, and also more human. Do any other Star Trek vessels have that feature?

Yeah. They all have it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

dont even fink about it posted:

It's on everything, including audiobook. Audiobook is a bit hard to follow and lengthy.

I've heard bad things about the audiobook.

It makes a great ebook on my phone. Easy to pick up and put down whenever for any length of reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Flesh Croissant posted:

I'm gonna make this my avatar but am too stunted by autialcoism (autistic alcoholism) to think of a clever tag to put under it. Could you smartbrain goons help me out with a great tagline?

Thanks!

Were you looking for a Troi loves chocolate joke?