Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

09 is 'fun' in a forgetable way. It didn't leave an impression and the only reason I still think about it is the Star Trek tag. It's peak JJ filmmaking, at his best he's forgettable and makes explosions for 2 hours. At his worst he's Into Darkness and Skywalker.

As a Beyond fan, I think like Lower Decks it manages to show that the people writing and making the film understand what Trek is and love it. It's not the best film, but it's consistently fun and it just feels like Star Trek to me in a way that the new stuff just doesn't. (Or hell the TNG movies didn't.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

My personal head-canon is that Starfleet is held together by an extensive black market of people programming and trading replicator recipes. Probably with incredibly long preambles "ohh I learnt this recipe on a trip to an Andorian spice-freighter, it was given to me by a yadda yadda yadda"

It's the real reason that they transfer crew around. Gotta swap recipies.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

We never saw who Sulu married in the prime timeline, we just know he had a kid, which is something gay people can still do through various means :ssh: (as evidenced by Demora also being present in the Kelvinverse).

Yeah I was gonna say I don't remember we ever had on screen confirmation of him having a wife. And even if he did...he could be bi? :gaysper:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tom Guycot posted:

You're not tricking me again paramount!

However I am excited to see Mike and Rich get even more depressed and drunk as they poo poo on it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

While good I don't think it would have been good at the time to prove Turnabout Intruder right. Although admittedly Mulgrew would've easily made an evil/crazy Janeway work.

I love Psycho Janeway, but it wouldn't work if it was canon. Unless they leaned all the way into it and she was successful in her conquest of the Beta quadrant after giving Shinzon the Scimitar.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

HD DAD posted:

Yeah, nothing really matters anymore. I’m fine with pretending TOS looked like the sleek Disco-prise. It’s a neat set and I like it better than the 60s version anyway.

I think it just matters if SNW is good or not. Like when it was first shown off I hated the Konnie's look and interior. And while I still hate the engineering brewery, I've come around on the bridge and now actually love the Konnie's design. If SNW is good the more advanced look will hopefully be background noise.

As long as they avoid the turbolift dimension.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

bull3964 posted:

They already went there on the Enterprise in a short trek.

gently caress

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The Baku suck, have a dumb philosophy and are selfishly hogging the life saving radiation. gently caress em. Picard followed the Federation council when it came to the space native americans, the only reason he isn't this time is because there's a milf who wants to baku him.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Yeah but also it's not right to let people just live anywhere and do whatever. Humans are a toxic and invasive species even on their own planet, let alone across the galaxy. The Federation isn't perfect but it's also not pure-human and is generally better than any other organization around, especially compared to real-world orgs. It'd be a different type of consideration for me if that was a planet with its own native species, but if it's just humans who decided to do a colony on that planet, gently caress em.

Especially with the numbers involved. It's like 600 people. 600 people vs a medical advance that could save millions if not billions. And they don't even have to die, just live somewhere else. It's like damming a river to power a city. Sure it sucks that people will be displaced, but it's worth it overall.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

It's never like they made their exploration ships purely exploration focused. The Constitution has enough fire power to be a warship....it just also has the best long range engines and sensors and room for science labs and all the things an exploratory ship would need. I think it's notable that the Federation idea of a warship is basically the firepower of one of their standard ships, just tiny.

This is also why I hate the Sovereign and think it was a regression in cruiser design. :argh:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Penitent posted:

It's the total lack of time and thought put into the NuTrek designs that I think stings most of all. The new show runners don't understand how to use iconic ship design as a vehicle to build fan engagement and excitement.

None of the ships designs in NuTrek will transcend the show to become iconic in our culture. The Discovery was already a ripped off Phase II design and after 2 seasons they give it a "Tron Future" remodel to further dilute the identity of the ship.

Watching the sheer amount of work that went into filming models for TNG, realizing how many film passes were needed just for one effects shot, really impressed on me how much the TNG show runners invested in making the audience care about the Enterprise D as a vehicle for the stories they wanted to tell.

I kinda like the Shenzou/Walker-class, it feels like a solid evolution on the NX style, like a NX Miranda esque ship. The only one of the discovery era ships I really like, but I felt it was solid and could've easily been the hero ship.

Easily the worst abominations Discovery has given us has to be all the 32c. stuff. It's all so much visual noise or ugly holes or just pure nonsense.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The Treaty of Algeron is one of the dumbest treaties every signed given what it stipulates of the Federation, but I love it because it's exactly the kind of treaty the Federation would have to sign to actually be as moral as they are shown.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

Personally I will always find the simple cylindrical nacelle of TOS to be the most charming.

Yeah, the round nacelles are great. I don't like the more modern angular ones. I also loved the updated Konnie ones, the spinning bussard collectors were a great touch.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

jeeves posted:

Disco S1 would have been 1000% better if they just set it nebulously in the future of DS9/Voy/whatever and just made those lovely Klingons into a new species.

Also do a find of any instance of "Spock" in season one and just delete the phrase and anything associated with.

Then just delete the entire series after S1.

Actually delete S1 too.

The aesthetic was always wrong but I think if they had a better main character it might've worked? Like with the plot as is, what if the big reveal after Lorca's a mirror universe denizen, was that he was trying to free his crew and wanted to return to the prime universe? And then position him as the main character. I think that'd be an interesting and compelling character arc, and way better than "Hey let's rescue the cannibal evil emperor who I must stress, is a cannibal."

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

HopperUK posted:

Hm yes what was really wrong with Disco was that a gruff-voiced white guy wasn't the main character.

...nah I know that's not what you mean, but I think Michael is nowhere near as bad as people say and the sheer dislike for her kinda baffles me. She's well-acted, she's fun, she has that Vulcan background making her a bit weird. I dunno, I suppose not every show is for everyone, that's fair.

I think she just works better as a supporting character. Like her and Georgiou at the start was great. It's just the show making her so central to the point she chokes out everyone else really makes me dislike her, even if words on the page she's not the worst. It's kind of like Seven and later Voyager, only in this case they have a better supporting cast and way more emphasis on the chosen character.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

They should at least let Simon Pegg write again.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

"Computer, load holodeck program "Starfleet Medical School". Simulate all staff members."

Yeah but that would get in the way of Janeway's victorian novel and the last ensign who tried that we're still finding pieces of them.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

V-Men posted:

There is the episode where he simulates a Cardassian war criminal to operate on B'lanna. Can't he just summon up a hologram of Dr. McCoy but in his prime?

Computer, we need the best doctor in Earth's history. Load up Dr. Doogie Howser

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

They should've just made him Gary Mitchel and done Where no Man Has Gone Before, it'd have fit in loving perfectly. Like I'm sure Orci and Kurtzman would've still found a way to utterly gently caress up the script, but at least they aren't starting from a spot of most people hating them for recasting Khan with the whitest dude.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Well it's not like he can leave his post, somebody gotta press that button. It's the "nacelles stay on" button

Ah so Voyager-J is what happens when they fire that guy?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

To jump back to an old conversation the Narada originally looked like a functional little mining ship.

Honestly I'm sad Nero basically got caught out of the movie because he absolutely could have been a good villain if they told his backstory. He was one the Senate as the representative of the mining guild, and he was one of the only people to believe Spock's claims about a supernova in another system being able to destroy Romulus. He and his crew go on to mine this element at great risk, they get shot up by a bunch of Remans, and only get a small amount of what they need. They travel with Spock to Vulcan....only for the Vulcan Science Academy to tell them to piss off, they voted and are happy to let Romulus die. Spock starts doing Spock poo poo and eventually he makes it...but Nero has already left. Nero's ship returns home to Romulus for a first hand seat at it's destruction.

At this point Nero is loving pissed. He destroys the Senates evacuation shuttle, the Senate who was happy to not do poo poo while he did all the work. He's pissed at the loving Vulcans who turned their back on their cousins when he was one of the few people willing to cooperate. He just snaps. He goes to the Vault and thanks to the Tal Shiar commander also losing his family, they outfit the Narada, as it's the only ship there, with all their researched Borg ship because gently caress it, let's get some revenge. Nero set course from Vulcan but he was intercepted by a fleet and that eventually lead to him getting sent back to the past.

Anyway the point is there actually was substance to Nero and he could've been great, if they actually put any of that poo poo in the loving movie. :argh:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

It makes Nero much more compelling, but it also makes his personal vendetta against Spock seem even more misplaced than it was in the movie.

Yeah though that could be changed via some structural stuff. Revealing that Spock did it towards the end of the narrative, or maybe that the ship was nearly unbeatable and the only way the fleet could be saved was Spock using the red matter so it'd crush him in the black hole (and obviously time travel cause movie). I don't think it's insurmountable.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Even if the writers don't always get it right, I love that they acknowledge that the universe is loving huge in details like that map.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I always took it that the Romulans are a smaller power and they know that if a war ever happens with the Federation the Federation would probably just drown them in resources so their ship design is just make something huge and intimidating that would show up and look imposing and hopefully not have to fire a single shot, just dazzling with the power of the Star Empire.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Khanstant posted:

whats up with the romulan empire anyway, why not join federation or invite the federation to join them? same thing applies to the americas, why not make one big america for all americans, wouldn't that be rad?

p.s. are the Remans still around, hope they pop up in Picard.

The Romulans not wanting to join the Federation makes sense, they fought a war to preserve their culture and accepted exile from Vulcan rather than conform, so them wanting to preserve their traditions from outside influence makes sense.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Marshal Radisic posted:

No, the Remans aren't even mentioned in PIC, let alone make an appearance. I think Michael Chabon mentioned on his Instagram that he thought they were a dumb concept from a bad movie, so he decided to quietly omit them.

A rare good call from the PIC team.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

A lot of Nero’s scenes ended up getting cut for time which is unfortunate

Or put in the tie in comic that did an infinitely better job of setting him up as a villain the film.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I mean I think in the comic Nero is quite a good villain, where he has this personal connection to Spock and WHY he feels betrayed is really well outlined and like he could've been near Khan levels. Instead in the movies he just some random dipshit who hates :spock: just because.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Fornax Disaster posted:

I wonder if they considered giving it three nacelles. :v:

The Lower Decks crew are good they will understand that three nacelles are the tools of evil.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tighclops posted:

Borgs can be de-Borged though, and made back into people.

Sometimes I wonder if that guy that Picard fragged in FC was on the crew during Best of Both Worlds. Like great, risk everything to save your captain from these swedish assholes and when you need saving your captain just mercy kills you instead, lmao

By the time of First Contact, Picard had been killed and replaced by his Mirror Universe counterpart, Larry.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

multijoe posted:

Killing the Borg is a galactic level trolley problem though, by killing them you're preventing an untold number of future genocides. If I were Picard I'd have pushed the button

Then there's the question of, if the proposed virus would've 'killed' the Borg or just wiped out the collective? Cause I mean if wiping out the collective is wrong, why go through all this effort to save people from the Borg and unborgify them? Clearly if there was a way to destroy the collective and to save the people who are drones, it would be good, would it not?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The Gorn analogy would be more applicable if the Gorn actually were guys in rubber suits and freeing them from the rubber suits lets them act like who they previously were. That's the thing with the Borg. Sure killing them is bad, but destroying the Collective and freeing the drones? Saving drones and de-Borging them is always portrayed as a heroic act. How is doing that on a large scale different than the small ones we've seen?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Hey, I still love the Romulans! I can't say I really like what the recent shows have done with them, but they are my favorite race in Trek. They have so much potential, even if it all boils down to them being sneaky and uniform. Which doesn't make sense for a race who is supposed to be highly emotional, which is why I want them to be examined in more detail.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Been rewatching Enterprise and I've surprised myself by enjoying it, but just got to Dear Doctor and I forgot how much I utterly hate that episode. Gotta love making our captain basically guilty of genocide, with utterly laughable reasoning. It fits with that era utterly failing to understand the Prime Directive though. :negative: It's there so our heroes make a choice to defy it and do the right thing, in universe to put a stop before someone goes helping, not to provide an excuse for genocide.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The best solution is the Night Crew solution. Get one Borg to party all Borg will have to party. Just beam over only your most sloshed crew members.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

punishedkissinger posted:

Was Sisko right or wrong to fake that holotape?

Personally I think he was in the wrong, and I really would've liked to see him turn himself in for it after the war. It's one thing to make the morally incorrect call, knowing it's wrong but it's the only choice, but when he suffers no consequences for making it kind of rings hollow.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Clearly assimilating humans just made the Borg dumber.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I'm surprised Dear Doctor is up there, the absolutely questionable ethics and silly science make it one of my least favorites. Archer is right and Phlox is wrong. They should've given the cure to those people instead of let them die horribly because maybe the other race on the planet will 'over take'. It's horrid. Just peak Berman era misunderstanding of the Prime Directive. I hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Axe-man posted:

Patrick Stewart apparently always wanted to be more action focused as a captian and his rising star power in the movies shows this pretty explicitly.

The picard most people like is a softened version of genes hard nosed serious diplomat and archeologist turned star captian.

jeeves posted:

Picard is no longer Patrick Stewart.

Modern Patrick Stewart is terrible and should never be allowed to give creative input by being a ~producer~

:hmmyes:

Yeah once the movies start, Picard stops being Picard. Picard the show just shows it way more starkly if you somehow missed that Patrick Stewart demanded that there be a dune buggy in Star Trek.