Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Khanstant posted:

There should be a clandestine organization that creates solvable problems for the Federation so that they never lose their utopic edge through complacency.

Owlbear Camus posted:

"We need a bunch of crisis actors to pretend to sacrifice their children to a computer they worship so some captain can come along and feel like he's big dickin the galaxy by unplugging the computer."

This premise seems tailor made for Lower Decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Winifred Madgers posted:

It should be possible soon to remaster TOS by creating new cgi for everything except the actors' faces, even the uniforms and ship interiors, so it's all consistent with the new shows.

I'm not saying it should be done, just that it should be possible.

Between that and the AI upscaling stuff that might be the only way we end up with a decent looking version of Star Trek: Deep Space 9 or Voyager. Instead of the Blur Trek we have now. Since it seems like CBS isn't interested in doing any kind of remastering work using the film they have on either DS9 or Voyager.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Arglebargle III posted:

People watching the Halo TV show (all seven of them) commented that the quasi-fascist military UNSC interiors look just like modern Star Trek sets.

I really want to see that. Although I can imagine it because things like Discovery just look like generic scifi sets anyways.

Tuvix: I kinda wish they had played it more like everyone is just going to accept that Tuvok and Neelix are gone and Tuvix is here now. Come to terms with it and accept him for who he is... and then the next time he goes through the transporter Tuvok and Neelix pop out somehow instead of Tuvix. Maybe even have a little funeral for him. And it's weird because both Tuvok and Neelix remember being him.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Zaroff posted:

There’s some weird time passage at the end of Voyager Season 2, with both Tuvix and Resolutions taking place over several weeks/months, with no feeling of time passing.

It’s a shame Voyager refused to have proper story arcs, as you could have episodes with Tuvix as part of the crew, or episodes with Captain Tuvok (or even combine them when Tuvix has to be placed in charge of the ship, and have Janeway’s research on the planet lead to a way to split Tuvix).

They set so much up, and never follow through…

I wish it was more like Farscape. The main character got duplicated once and it was a whole thing for a big chunk of episodes that season.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Future Imperfect when Riker thinks he’s figured out that it’s all a Romulan ploy and he goes to the bridge and questions everyone, and that shot is from when he’s asking Data to calculate arrival times at different warp speeds or some poo poo and Data says “I can’t” and then Riker starts berating him for using a contraction.

Now where’s my Star Trek Loser prize?

Pissed off Riker is pretty good, he tells Captain Picard to shut his trap too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmvMfhHyBRI&t=55s

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Der Kyhe posted:

Just got the "First 10 movies" box set (stardate collection, remastered non-director's cuts), and a couple of random notes popped to my head from watching through 1 to 6 during one weekend:

-The first one really is the worst one; Five has several issues which makes it a mess of a movie but with first one they had all the time and money to make ...that.
-In ST1 that wormhole thing is really stupid and unneccessary thing, that never happened before and never happens again in the series.

I think the first Star Trek movie was really just them trying to make something like 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Tell me how people do these?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I always thought it was due to a writers strike or something but Wikipedia says "Shades of Gray" was a clip show to save money because they overspent on "Elementary, Dear Data" and "Q Who" and Paramount was holding them to the budget for the season.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Prurient Squid posted:

I know you guys must have gone over these shows frame by fame.

Does Grand Nagus Zek ever use the word "inconceivable"?

I want to see someone edit that in. I'd be surprised if it hasn't been done before.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I'd like Star Trek: M*A*S*H

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I had a relation that knew someone who was somehow subscribed to receive every Star Trek book as it came out. That person was fine with me borrowing them after they read them. She'd have a whole stack of them for me every other week. I must've read drat near every one of them released in the 80s/90s give or take. Can't remember a single one. I do remember there was one that had a title like "Here there be dragons" that was mostly bad dialog and Captain Picard yelling at everyone. I put that down after ~40-50 pages or so.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

nine-gear crow posted:

Exact scale in Star Trek has always been a ridiculous thing to worry about and a constantly moving target anyway. I rewatched the Battle of Sector 001 in last night from First Contact in 4K and while the Enterprise hero shot as it flies past the Defiant is one of the best bits of starship cinematography in the whole drat franchise, it looks like the Enterprise-E is the size of a Star Destroyer compared to the Defiant, the scale is THAT wonky.

E: It's kinda funny because they redo nearly the same shot in the intro to Star Trek: Armada, only this time they get the scale differential between the Sovereign class and the smaller Federation ships right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrTBGLot3Wo&t=207s

what the hell is happening at 3:48 though?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Prurient Squid posted:

A Holodeck adventure in which a sinister Walter Koenig plays a whimsical but untrustworthy pixie playing a magic flute.

I think if you give it a year or two we might have an AI that can generate a video of that for you.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
That sounds about what I expected. I've seen countless tweets trying to say they finally "got it" this season but I've been extremely skeptical of them.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Twincityhacker posted:

I'm a little torn on the episode count thing: filming ~24 45 minute episodes seems like a misrable state of existance. But 10 episodes just seems way too short. 20 maybe?

Seemed to be the sweet spot for Stargate. 20 episode seasons. 10 episodes with a mid-season cliff-hanger then after the holidays 10 more episodes that end in a season cliffhanger.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

nine-gear crow posted:

Again, Twitter cropping does the full image an immense disservice:

What instrument is Geordi playing?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

SlothfulCobra posted:

The fact that "Chef" was a character constantly referenced throughout the series and only at the very end revealed to be Riker implies that the entire Enterprise series was just the holodeck doing its best at simulating an early earthling space exploration.

Although I also like the theory that the inconsistencies with TNG/TOS was the result of constant pollution of the timestream changing reality.

I like the idea that Enterprise is a "Living Witness"-level inaccurate retelling but there's nobody that was from that time there to set the record straight.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Seemlar posted:

With how they've brought previously secondary material things into canon lately, it wouldn't be super surprising if they ever implemented the Probert designed DS9-II from the old EU

... wow

That doesn't even make sense. Where do the ships dock?

If they were going to do anything, they should've flipped the pylons so they were facing outward. or made them double-sided or something

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Knormal posted:

Somehow I have ended up with a bunch of old Star Trek commercials in my Youtube recommendations.

This one goes hard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l96aDWIbn48
And this one is ridiculously well done, but apparently never aired in the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZBTDlvShYg

IDK what is going on in that Cheer commercial.

But that set in the KFC one is pretty well done for what seems like a recreation in 1995? I wonder what kind of deal they had to strike to do this.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

If you're cold, she's cold. Let her in.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Powered Descent posted:

The people who claim that the arrowhead wasn't an Enterprise assignment patch but was for all "starship duty" somehow never seem to remember the uniforms on the Defiant, which all have a different insignia.

Wasn't this a Mirror Universe episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Tighclops posted:

inside of a decade people are gonna be rendering whatever episodes of whatever they like anyway they like and canon as we know it will crumple into a little dried out turd like the caretaker

I'm a little worried about what the blowback on that is going to be like. There's already a bunch of people on Twitter and in other places saying that "AI" trained on copyright data is violating copyright even with unique outputs. "Mass theft" they call it. Even before you get to things where we could use it to generate custom episodes of Star Trek or whatever. If I had a good research ability, it'd be interesting to compare it to the blowback of things like books when the printing press made them very cheap and more available, or when the automobile appeared, or coffeehouses, or any other disruptive thing.