Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
The character I wish had gotten to stick around more is Lt. George Primmin

He is only in 2 episodes of DS9, his character is supposed to be Star Fleet's security officer on station (same thing they did with Eddington a couple of seasons later). The off camera reason for him was that Colm Meaney was going to be busy with some movie shoots so they needed a new character to fill his role of the everyman. But it's like the writers pretty much just forgot about Primmin and put him on a bus shuttlecraft and never brought him up again.

I loved Primmin. He was kind of lazy, a little antagonistic towards Odo, and just kind of goofy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's pretty hilarious that one time Keiko got possessed by a Pah'Wraith and O'Brien didn't notice any difference.

"There's a demon possessing my wife's body? Oh. She's usually this much of a bitch anyway so I didn't notice."

"The sex got better"

McSpanky posted:

Well, one time a transporter accident turned Keiko into a literal child and she still expected Miles to perform his, uh, marital duties. Yeah.

Sometimes the cultural differences can be hard to deal with in marriage.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Hyperriker posted:

And thank gently caress for that. Personally I just press the 'Standard Orbit' button and let the computer do it.

Would you like to make it a Deluxe Orbit for only $0.25 more?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Ok enough foreplay let's loving do this you motherfuckers. BEST MCCOY JOKE EVER, GO GO GO GO!!!!!

"Beam up Spock and Doctor McCoy now. Do it!"
" Now, just a damned minute...

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I always liked the Excelsior except for it's nacelle pylons.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Pakled posted:

I've met multiple (!) people who say that DS9 is the worst Trek and Voyager is the best.

I have heard this several times as well. There really is no accounting for taste.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Tunklord Supreme posted:

move along home

Had to be watched because Lt. Primmin is in it.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
They skulls have killed jadzia a few episodes earlier in that episode where her and Worf go on the mission together and she got shot a Worf blows the mission to save her. Just change it so he completes the mission.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
She called him Mr Brooks.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Cojawfee posted:

This guy gets it. Another trek nerd trying to be edgy and say the movie is garbage. All the movies are overacted garbage with lame plots, that's what makes them Star Trek movies.

I was about to argue with you but then I counted. Even if you say 5 of the original movies are great (which is being generous), there are still more lovely Trek movies as there are good ones at this point.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Sorry, but ST09, ID, and Beyond are all star wars.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

WickedHate posted:

I'm just saying, if a vulcan crashlanded here tomorrow, they'd find it, ahem, most illogical that our hamburgers do not contain ham. :smug:

What do they know... They can't even get mint right.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Another thing that bugged me about the first Worf episode of DS9 -- while they are preparing for the fight with the Klingons, there's that exchange where Odo tries to post a security detail in sickbay and Bashir is all like "hey that would violate the hippocratic oath putty man" to which Odo replies "you know the klingons will just murder you and your patients," anyway cut to later and a Klingon is about to bash Odo in the head with his sword and Bashir shoots him in the back...so can you stab a Changeling to death or give them the old Kirk treatment and beat him up with a pipe? What's the deal there?

Oh and what was the deal with Odo never using phasers, was it about "justice" or something?

I am pretty sure Odo was knock unconscious from a blow to the head at least once, and I don't think it was during the period he was a solid.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Data Graham posted:

Saavik being an example of the variation on the rule (which I think I also heard) that said all Vulcan names (regardless of sex) should start with S and end with K (which also gives us Sybok).

I feel like there has been one hell of a game of telephone between all the various creative teams over the decades.

You could almost make that the rule for families. Spock's family names were all S___K names, or something like that. Maybe Tuvok's family names were all T___K names.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

The triangle represents The Finite Art Man.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Cons are weird. Actors expect certain questions and requests, and it makes them completely hosed to get something beyond the usual bullshit. So if you ever get to meet some Trek celeb, ask the, like, fifth question that comes to mind to get a more honest answer.

Even if it is about rape gangs?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I don't think they ever explained why his sash changed from a woven material that had the last couple of rows pulled out of it to the Chewbacca looking one that he wore for the rest of the shows.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Mukaikubo posted:

DS9 flawlessly predicts the efficacy of the TSA.

At least they tested their methods on an actual changeling.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

MrJacobs posted:

the smart move would have him just enlist like O'brien

O'brien was still an officer when Wesley was on the ship.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Sure it is. Doesn't mean it needs an extra hull strapped to the bottom.

Don't you mean the top?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

FuturePastNow posted:

So the Asian captain will get a Chinese-name ship because we wouldn't want to confuse the audience.

Better retcon it so Captain Sulu gets command of the USS Kamikaze or something instead of the Excelsior.

Starfleet needs to impliment and anti-trigger policy that prohibits Japanese officers from serving on Akira class ships, Greeks from commanding the Prometheus, or Englishmen(French) from captaining the Enterprise.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Doggles posted:

Is this close enough? Japan's Power Rangers had a recent season based on ninjas (Shuriken Sentai Ninninger). One of the rangers who shows up later is a cowboy whose morpher is a cheeseburger.

I see nothing wrong with this.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm still not a huge fan of having Kira resign from Starfleet and devoting herself to religion.
That character was always the skeptic of the show when it came to Bajorans.

Kira was always devout with her religious beliefs but having her leave her military career and eventually become Kai is so out of character for her it's ridiculous.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Railing Kill posted:

Jake Sisko: evil?

Quark: evil?

Got Janeway right, though.

Seriously, Quark is one of the most moral characters on the show. It's just that his culture's morality isn't aligned with what most humans are.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Pwnstar posted:

It changes as the show goes on though. The reason why Brunt hates Quark so much is that in the eyes of the Ferengi, Quark is a philanthropist which to them is despicable.

Usually, Quark is the one that holds to traditional values while the Negus and his mother are trying to introduce more progressive ideas. But you are right that there are some episodes where Quark is accused of going soft on his employees.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

VanSandman posted:

The Tal Shiar and Obsidian Order should've just blown up the wormhole instead of some half-assed attempt to kill the Dominion. Hell, after they hosed up the Federation should've blown up the wormhole.

I can't remember which episode or what happened, but they do something to the wormhole on accident that makes it impossible to blow up.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Powered Descent posted:

That looks nothing like Klingon.

Looks like Klingon in a different font to me.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

WampaLord posted:

Yes, but autism has more downsides than "likes trains" and we want to cure those too.

Yeah, there is Sonic the Hedgehog fandom too.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

They also put her in a movie! There is a rich history of celebrities show-horning themselves into Star Trek, just ask the Ensign Rivers:

Seth MacFarlane is one of the few creative types I have heard talk about Star Trek that made me think they actually understood it.

I kind of wish he had helmed the `09 reboots instead of Abraham's, but I have no clue is he is even capable of doing anything remotely serious.

Then again, with all of the shoe-horned nostalgia references that the new movies had, I am not sure it would have made any difference.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Gammatron 64 posted:

No, you're 100% right here.

Outraged Internet people have driven discussion into realms of complete stupidity. People will absolutely find something to complain about, because that's the time we live in.

I'm not a professional critic and I don't have any illusion that my opinion actually matters. Well, for much of anything, really. I just hope Discovery will be a good show. What I've been hearing is kind of concerning.

I feel like these days, we need Star Trek more than ever. People have gotten so enraged, divided and downright crazy. And it's not any one particular group, mind you. People are practically begging for blood.

I like Jean Luc-Picard because he's a diplomat. He's not a warrior. He's a peace-maker. He goes to worlds where people absolutely hate each other and tries to help them get along. He's willing to make compromises and admit when he's wrong, but always stays true to his own integrity. To him, the ends don't justify the means.

I miss that guy. I wish he was real and could come to our planet and talk some sense into the people here. :smith:

Nah, he just likes racing around on dune buggies.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Echo Chamber posted:

I was able to tolerate and almost enjoy Voyager because I watched the episodes out of order and ignored continuity more than less. Like, watch a random episode a day or something, like simulating syndication reruns.

If I had to watch them all in order, it would have been terrible.

Don't get me wrong; it's a bad show, and it's worth mocking every time.

What continuity?

The only 2 things I can think of are:

1: Is Kes on the ship or Seven?

2: Have they built the Delta flyer yet?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

The_Doctor posted:

I know it's based a little on some of the original DS9 concept art when they were thinking about more rings.

Not horrible except that the station looks like a pirate ship steering wheel.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Flesh Croissant posted:

I'm gonna make this my avatar but am too stunted by autialcoism (autistic alcoholism) to think of a clever tag to put under it. Could you smartbrain goons help me out with a great tagline?

Thanks!

If you are bitten by a counselor, you become a counselor.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

MikeJF posted:

There were multiple references to the Inner Hull in TNG, I always assumed that there was a weak hull with windows, cushy rooms, and then a thick inner wall inside that cushy bit with solid airlock-ish doors that could slam closed over the corridors that went through it.

And the ship could pretty much keep going fine if the outer layer was torn off.

I don't remember any reference to an inner-hull. Just the secondary hull, which is the stardrive section of the ship.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

MikeJF posted:

One of the most prominent episodes of "The TAS colourist is colourblind and can't see the difference between pinks and greys and browns". Literally, that's not a joke, it shows up a bunch. The Klingons have pink uniforms, the tribbles are pink, so on so forth.

I have heard this many times before, but I still don't understand something...

Why didn't anyone tell him he was loving up the colors? I mean, surely someone had to have noticed early in production.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Kazinsal posted:

If you told me five years ago I'd be more excited for a sci-fi series written by and starring Seth MacFarlane than a new Star Trek I would ask you what sanitarium you escaped from.

I would like to point out that I posted this back in February before his new show was announced and I had said it before then:

Lowen SoDium posted:

Seth MacFarlane is one of the few creative types I have heard talk about Star Trek that made me think they actually understood it.

I kind of wish he had helmed the `09 reboots instead of Abraham's, but I have no clue is he is even capable of doing anything remotely serious.

Then again, with all of the shoe-horned nostalgia references that the new movies had, I am not sure it would have made any difference.

It's times like this that I think to my self that I should really choose my wishes more carefully...

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Beachcomber posted:

Moriarty is the right level of forgotten, but he'd have been laughed out of the theatre.

I don't agree with this, but I also think that Star Trek movies started getting bad when they started being ashamed of being Star Trek.

If they wanted to try to do a "Wrath of Kahn" TNG style movie, then Moriarty was 100% the way they should have done it. He was an established character that was in 2 well received episodes of the show. He has plenty of reason to hate the crew since he was pretty much put on a shelf a forgotten about. He could have been a very dangerous and cunning enemy. Since he was a hologram, they could have even recast him or changed his appearance and hand waved it away if they needed to, though I liked Daniel Davis.

Say that the Dutchess's Countess's program fails because of reasons (maybe it was damaged in the Enterprise D's crash). If this movie was made post Voyager, they could have had a story where Moriarty some how manages to get a hold of The Doctor's mobile emitter and uses his new freedom to extract revenge on the crew for loving him over 2 times and causing the death of his beloved. The parallels to Khan are very strong.

I am not even a fan of the over use of revenge plots in Star Trek but I think this one could have worked.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 21, 2017

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Beachcomber posted:

Rewatching TMP.

I know there's been a lot of theorizing over the years about a connection between V'ger and the Borg. First, this isn't a great idea because all it does is make the universe smaller. More than that, though, I think people are forgot just how powerful V'ger actually was, even if you go by the reduced AU. If the Borg had even a tenth of V'gers mojo they wouldn't have bothered to mess around with assimilating anything.

And V'ger was just the machine planet messing around.

The best part is that the machine planet is never shown or explored. It is some external alien god like force. And it is left to the imagination with this small glimpse you see from V'ger.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
What does God need with another Star Trek thread?

The only people who are going to watch STD are already in this thread. And any one extra would be welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Powered Descent posted:

And a trippy-colored doorway between the two, where you and your double from the other universe can fight each other.

Star Trek thread

Star Trek Goatee thread