Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Get that four-foot model outta here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It's also a universe with tailors. Maybe the ship's tailor had his or her hands full?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

WickedHate posted:

Posting in one Star Trek thread should be grounds for institutionalization.

You bet I'm agitated!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

WampaLord posted:

I feel like you need another column for "Actively Avoid" because a "No" on Essential doesn't adequately prepare one for the horribleness of episodes like Cost of Living or Profit and Lace.

"Eh, it says non-essential, but let me watch this one anywa-" :stare:

But "Cost of Living" ends with that great line from Worf!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Maybe ships in Star Trek are always trying to orbit over the same spot, but don't want to go all the way out to geostationary orbit, so they just hang out, blasting their impulse engines all the time, to stay aloft.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

In fact, the budget was reduced and the main sacrifice was made in razors for Frakes.

And diet soda for Frakes.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
In the opening credits, the last shot of the ship has similar leaking around the shuttlebay doors. Maybe they were intended to open?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I'm ashamed that it took until they said, "I'm sure you two will go on to many exciting adventures!" before I realized "Assignment: Earth" was a backdoor pilot.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

WampaLord posted:

A BIT of a gag?

Jesus Christ, if this writer were more up his own rear end, he'd disappear into a subspace rear end bubble.

Look at the line below the copyright notice.

I liked it. It had lots of callbacks. I like callbacks.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Gammatron 64 posted:

"The line must be drawn HEAH! NO FURTHER!!!" is a great scene I love, but imagine how much better it would have been if Sisko was the one yelling "BLOW UP THE drat SHIP PICARD!"

That'd be a pretty satisfying scene, given that Picard hates the Borg for making him a Borg and Sisko hates Picard for having been a Borg. Sisko finally letting go of his desire for revenge would be a good trigger for Picard to realize he needs to do the same.

Although "See ya around, Ahab." is pretty good, too.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Just watched TOS "Day of the Dove." I think just about every actor who holds a sword in the episode grasps it by its blade at some point. We started to wonder if they were doing it on purpose, possibly to protest the dumbness of the concept.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
At least, in "Day of the Dove," when Chekov tries to make out with that woman, he still has his hand over her mouth.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Holy hell, "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" is one big pacing issue. At least we get a "sabotaaaage" out of the deal.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I love the weird zoom-ins on the alerts in that one. That is the episode where that happens, right?

Yep!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
"The Mark of Gideon" thoughts: The fact that, just outside the room with three people in it, it's so crowded on Gideon that everybody's jostling everybody around is hilarious. Also, wow at the mention of birth control on 60's TV.

"That Which Survives" thoughts: Man, Spock is an rear end in a top hat! Also, everybody keeps saying "blow up" instead of anything like "explode."

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Duckbag posted:

That Which Survives is just another third season turd with a thin, pointless "mystery," a pretty girl, and barely a wisp of a plot. It's basically just like Gideon, but with less going on and basically nothing to say. I mostly just remember the teleporting ghost robot chicks, the redshirt deaths, and the "beauty survives" bullshit at the end. What does Spock do again?

He spends half the episode telling Scotty to quit being so emotional and just go kill himself in the Jeffries tube already. Kirk's a butt to Sulu, too, for no reason.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
"Lights of Zetar" thoughts: Way too many mentions of "the girl," but a neat concept, a couple cool animations and effects, and holy poo poo did Mira's actress nail her body language then the aliens were speaking! No blinking, no eyebrow twitches, nothing!

Edit: Also got a serious Metroid vibe from some of the music.

CPColin fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 27, 2016

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The only reason The Search for Spock is bad is because it's between two better movies.

Like Empire Strikes Back.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Nitrousoxide posted:

The doesn't that turbolift go directly to the battle bridge?

The one next to the ready room is a normal turbolift. The one to the right of the viewscreen goes straight to the battle bridge.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Finally made it through my first watch of TOS. "Turnabout Intruder" was not as bad as I feared.

Now I have to convince my girlfriend to watch the movies. I poisoned the well by informing her of the even-odd rule. I also need to figure out what exactly is the best version of each of these dang movies.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Pokemaster #421 posted:

A handful of Wesley

We don't need another Traveler episode, thanks.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It's like if you open a restaurant and decline to put root beer on the menu!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I had a dream I was watching the first episode of Discovery. It had suddenly picked up a sponsor in an upstart cookie company, so the "O" in the logo was a chocolate chip cookie. Then the Enterprise showed up and had like five saucer sections.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

McSpanky posted:

I'm imagining the Enterprise with five saucer sections and it's like the way angels are described in the Bible.

It kind of looked like Worf's weird chair, except with an Engineering section.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
"Cost of Living" is a great episode.

As are all episodes that involve Lwaxana Troi.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Lwaxana is great, if only because she forces the TNG crew to react like normal human beings instead of the standard "enlightened 24th century elite".

Exactly. It's like when Q rolls in and goes, "Why are you people acting like such weirdos? This universe doesn't make any sense!"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Let That Be Your Last Cattlefield.

:wow: but with a cat that says MEOW

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Lt. Cmdr. Shelby certainly wasn't thrilled with Riker refusing commands.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Just watched TMP for the second time in my life. That's about 1.5 times too many. My favorite part was when Bones came up to the bridge, looked around, and left again, without saying anything.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Orv posted:

TMP is very much a lazy Saturday afternoon kind of thing that you need to luxuriate in just how dumb it is.

Fun fact: I couldn't find it in our local video rental store on DVD (they had it on VHS), but my DVR managed to catch it playing on my CW affiliate in, you guessed it, the "Saturday Afternoon Movie" slot.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
"Go to hell."

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Berlioz.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Pulaski is good and so are Lwaxana Troi and Captain Jellico.

Vic Fontaine episodes are good to have on in the background while doing dishes.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

People like to poo poo on Profit and Lace and then use it as a jumping off point to tell others to skip all Ferengi-centric episodes. The line must be drawn here!

Two questions:

1) How far?
2) How much further?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

willie_dee posted:

Am almost through Voyager, just started season 7, enjoyed it way way more than DS9.

Trying not to get assimilated, huh?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

It's an anti-time anomaly, so it should have been visible the first time they went to the Deveron System in the future. Also, Data says three inverse tachyon beams are all converging and they appear to have been fired from the same ship, but Pasteur fired one of them.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
FYI, "Yesterday's Enterprise" is still pretty great.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Today I learned that the end credits for Star Trek III credit Grace Lee Whitney as "Woman in Bar" and show that Frank Welker provided the "Spock Screams."

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The Tal'Shiar got completely loving assblasted…

…along with the rest of Romulus! (The hypernova is canon, right?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

WampaLord posted:

It's such a weird punishment in Star Trek's setting. Did we ever see anyone else get demoted?

Kirk, after saving the whales. Of course, that was a "demotion." Also Ensign Ro, off-screen.