Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Payndz posted:

There are plenty of good-to-great episodes that I would only rewatch if I was doing a full runthrough of one of the shows. For a casual watch in a spare hour, fun and action trump Serious Drama.

Yeah. It's a lovely story but if I'm just going to sit down and watch some Star Trek I'm more likely to watch Cause and Effect for the 100th time. 500th time? It's impossible to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

cenotaph posted:

I watched the mst3k space mutiny episode last night and it's very funny that jjtrek took the same approach to engineering.

I was busting up in the theater at every engineering scene for this reason.

Wouldn't this basement make the Enterprise bottom heavy?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't know if they had any plans, I suspect no, but I always thought Archer being a dumb rear end in a top hat at first and slowly growing into his role was a fine way to do things. In the other shows the captain starts out already great at their job. United Earth is starting out at the beginning, Archer reflects that. Archer and T'Pol's conflicts and then friendship reflecting the tension between Earth and Vulcan. I'm probably reading all of that in to where it was never intended but I think it would have worked if it were done better.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Sash! posted:

Which is convenient because all of the Vulcans are dicks too

I really liked that choice. Makes total sense that after getting to know humans for a bit the Vulcan attitude would be "christ, these fuckin' guys". They have some of that attitude in the later periods too, just tempered by the length of time, the benefits of the Federation, learning the positives of humanity along with the downsides.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It is kinda funny how hosed up everyone looked in their old age makeup compared to how much better they look now as actual olds.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Tom Guycot posted:

It always seemed really loving strange to me they had a lush livable moon around their planet, and the big brain idea is to destroy it basically to generate power? Like what they gently caress, having a moon like that must be far more valuable than a power plant.

There's really no reason why any of the Star Trek tech civilizations should ever be struggling for power or basic resources. You have a star and know how to build fusion reactors if that isn't sufficient.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Nessus posted:

Acknowledging this fact would cruelly deprive writers of the opportunity to write about hard beings making hard decisions about scarce resources!

You can still do that by making up fake scarce resources, like dilithium. It's just jarring when they're desperate to find like, water or deuterium, two of the most common substances in the universe.

At least to me, a dork who can't let it go.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's right that TOS didn't have the post-scarcity concept yet, but for things like water it's literally impossible to have an interstellar civilization that is lacking in it. It is loving everywhere. Even if somehow you're in a star system without water (which I can't imagine existing but sake of argument), just go to another one.

Honestly though, as much as we like to rag on Trek's inconsistencies it's kind of amazing how much of it is consistent given the sheer amount of Trek that's been made and the number of people who've worked on it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Equinox too. And I liked Future's End though I wouldn't argue it's great.

By early Voyager standards it's pretty solid though.

E: Killing Game also good.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 20, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

TengenNewsEditor posted:

Workforce is good too.

This is where we have to part ways.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m rewatching Voyager and… I don’t hate it? It’s not good, especially during the Kes years, but it’s usually just inoffensively fine.

I’m also listening to the Delta Flyers podcast at the same time and it’s definitely helped soften my initial impression of the show though, so ymmv.

I think the context is different now. At the time, it was the worst Trek series overall plus it was running parallel to DS9 just blowing it out of the water every week. Today we have so much worse Trek that watching Voyager again seems refreshing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Twincityhacker posted:

Unrelated to the above, but do the Star Trek novels have a history of being Not Good or is it just a mix of quality?

Just heard about a Discovery series novel that had the Federation being made by hard men making hard choices that sounds like it would have been an good sci-fi novel in general but a spectacularly bad Star Trek novel.

( I should note that Discovery says multiple times that the ends do not justify the means - and at least three times in the first season alone. )

They vary wildly. I'd say there are only a few that are genuinely good, but a fair number are fun little popcorn adventures. And then a whole pile of poo poo.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I read all of these as a kid. I remember nothing but the art of the coffee cup saucers.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

Horribly balanced and the AI was so bad but full of charm for sure

A good version of it would be a hole I never dig out of. As it is I played the gently caress out of it.

The Star Trek mod for Stellaris is very good but doesn't scratch the same itch.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I think we've discussed this before, and I maintain that a warship having organic crew on hand for damage control is needed in emergencies when automated systems are prone to being knocked out or destroyed. You need autonomy, adaptable thinking, and fast reactions and centralized computer-controlled systems just won't cut it when the poo poo really hits the fan.

Damage control is a good excuse I've seen used in a few settings.

Obviously the real answer is you're telling a story so you need people, but it's fun to come up with something in-universe too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

That was my biggest issue as well

There was absolutely not 13 episodes of story there

Yup. Conceptually the story was perfectly good and Trek, it was just paced in the most boring possible way.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Having new ones with and without hair, TNG style, and TOS Klingons all together would have been cool.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Action Picard in TNG was fine since it was an occasional thing. Gotta mix it up when you're making 170 episodes of TV.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Delsaber posted:

Action Picard immediately knocking that Kenny Omega looking terrorist dude off his feet with a right hook when he portaled onto the bridge in High Ground was pretty great

And Starship Mine rules. Seeing laced up diplomat occasionally whoop some rear end was a lot of fun. Emphasis on occasionally.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Troi getting a chance to actually have a character and call Picard out on his poo poo was def the best part of the first season.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

so 9 of 26 as watchable to good isn't so bad. And there are others that I would consider borderline ok but there is some REAL dreck in there too.

I'd add 11001001 to that list.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Def Cause and Effect. I don't think it's the best episode of the show, but it's one of the most entertaining and doesn't require any kind of pre-existing knowledge.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Knormal posted:

I've always wondered what came first, the set nooks or the model nooks, and if they had to build in one in response to the other. Even though I don't think the scale lines up right, so maybe the model bits are supposed to be something else.

The bridge is the middle part, the Y around it is the conference room, ready room, and a bunch of stuff that was never on screen.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

Classic 90s Trek ratings are literally just a chronological decline with TNG at the top and Enterprise at the bottom.

Which itself was mostly just tvratings.txt as the audience split into more and more small pieces across a wider range of stuff. You could create the universally agreed greatest Trek series of all time today and it will never even touch TNG season 1's ratings.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

At the end of Nemesis, the E was super hosed up but it got repaired

It seems like it would be way more annoying to transfer parts from an older ship to a new one as opposed to just starting from scratch

It's 100% one of those situations where it's simpler to just build a new ship. Why would you want the old parts anyway? Build a brand new 4090 gaming PC but keep your CPU from 2010.

The old ship would be most useful as raw matter to feed into replicators.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Excuse me sir, there are clearly five lights.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah it didn't bother me. Starfleet basically has two types of ship design, flat with no engineering hull and taller with an engineering hull. The NX is just one of the flat guys.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

A bit of a random question, but which show did you feel did the best and worst jobs about depicting the various popular alien races? Like, which show had the best Klingons, which had the worst Borg, etc.?

I guess we have to leave out anything that only appeared on one show.

DS9 best for Cardassians, Ferengi, Romulans, Klingons, Changelings.

TNG best for Borg.

ENT best for Andorians.

TNG worst for Ferengi, lol.

PIC worst for Borg and Changelings.

Disco worst for Klingons.

I don't think any show particularly poo poo up the Romulans, Andorians, or Cardassians.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

The Romulan cowboy samurai planet was kinda contemptable but it wasn't on screen.

I pushed Picard so far out of my mind I completely forgot the first season was full of Romulans, lol.

Laris and the guy who got unceremoniously killed were cool. I guess that doesn't make up for it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

TOS Klingons are very different from later. They're sneaky Soviet stand-ins, not the honorable warrior stuff.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

zoux posted:

Something I've noticed is that whenever Troi or Bev get an A plot it's always about a new boyfriend that's hosed up

Well yeah, what else are ladies going to do?

Every once in a while the writers would let them have a real plot. Bev's busted rear end universe, Troi's Romulan cosplay.

Troi got the worst of it. The three times they let her have a fun story she was always great.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Season 3 wasn't good, but I didn't hate watching it since the old crew are all still so much fun. Spiner, Frakes, Dorn in particular killed it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

If the comments are correct, the guy who plays Sulu also played Sulu when John Belushi was on the show and they did a Trek parody then

Yeah, he's just some staff dude who's worked at SNL forever but he was the only Asian guy around when they did their first Trek parody. Then it became a running joke to have him be Sulu in every one.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

MikeJF posted:

The reviews I'm seeing are that it's mediocre as a game but decent as a Star Trek story.

I didn't even know it was going to have gameplay, I was expecting basically a visual novel. If the story works I'm open to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

V-Men posted:

i'd say my favorite Star Trek game that tells a Star Trek story is A Final Unity.

Yep. Only time they ever captured the feeling of playing an episode of the show.