Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I do feel like the Future arc is a bit weaker right now - there are a lot of tiny points that people savvy to the series could easily pick up (despite them reeling in some very strong cliffhangers).

-The fact that we haven't had Kirigiri check out Gozu's body pretty much implies there's going to be some mess-up with that. Her gang has barely done anything since the game started.
-There's obviously more to Yukizome than at first glance, and given that Despair's running concurrently with it I expect we'll see her fall to Despair at the same time or shortly after her class. Also considering that she'd be one of the few close enough to Kyosuke to either know all about the building's maintenance or slowly corrupt him to some twisted form of Hope. Kirigiri's apparently inspected her body already though, so she's either really dead or there's a decoy.
-Ruruka is still a terrible person. And it seems really obvious that Yoi's forbidden from eating.

Any speculation on Kirigiri's Forbidden Action yet? I'm starting to get the sense it has something to do with Naegi himself. She's obviously one of the most dangerous characters so they'd probably want to inconvenience her the most. I did notice her putting her ear to the wall or something like that in Ep 1, don't think we've seen any fallout from that yet.

I'm also taking it that Asahina's a near guaranteed survivor at this point.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

TheManSeries posted:

So is there somewhere that said Yukizome fell into despair? I think I missed it if they did.

Nowhere, but given her very early death and her prominent role in the Despair arc, I think there's definitely more to her than to be seen.

I find this series is rarely very good at making ambiguous characters - other than wheelchair girl and anime guy everyone seems firmly on the good/bad side. Kuzuryu was the best character development they've ever done.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

CrashScreen posted:

I wasn't too into just how over the top Junko is, right out of the gate, but whatever. That's the only real exposure of her that the games really depicted, so it's not really surprising. I don't know if she was just casually dropping grenades and bombs everywhere in the novels though.

One of the things I dislike about Future is how it misses what I consider to be one of the strengths of Danganronpa. The cast all typically had something to do or contribute to the conversation, even when they were wrong. If I remember correctly, Oren pointed that out back in the old LP days too. I feel like that's kind of missing here, and some characters are really fading into the background. Despair seems to generally be handling it a little bit better even with the 20 minute anime episode time limit.

There's also the part where Naegi isn't even interacting with half the cast. The Seiko/Ruruka/Yoi subplot is happening pretty much independently. Which is good because they can't have Naegi talking to everyone like they did in the games, but I mean Seiko's tragedy is that she couldn't even talk to people who would have been her friends (Naegi and Asahina) and stop her from her rampage.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kay Kessler posted:

Onscreen, yes. But I think it's implied the other Remnants killed much more people than he did.

If I had to pick anyone from the Remanants with the highest killcount, even indirectly, I imagine it'd be Sonia or Kuzuuryu. Being either a princess/mob leader gives you a lot of power to kill, even if indirectly.

It's a weird episode in that nothing really happened other than finding an extra victim, just introducing a bunch of old faces into the situation.

voltcatfish posted:

I'm surprised the fact that he slaughtered like 15 people doesn't faze him

does he have the biggest bodycount in this series?

It's more like 10 though, there were 5 survivors including himself.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

IceBorg posted:

Actually the fact that it seems to count Hagakure is what's weird, at the beginning of the 4th episode in that recap Monokuma said that Hagakure is not part of the killing game and the number of people alive seens to just be about the people in the game since it goes every time someone in the game dies, it even showed us in this episode that a extra person died before we say Izayoi's body.

I think the fact that Hagakure is in the opening is to trick us and there's a extra person in the building.

Well, I guess it depends on if you count Monaca's robot as a person.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Both episodes were kinda mediocre this week. I know they're setting up for the endgame, but not a whole lot actually happened. The most interesting bit was finding out about Sakakura's crush.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm more curious as to how they're going to fill six more episodes. I'd like to see how Junko drives each of the DR2 cast to despair like with Izuru, but considering the shifting dynamic to Chisa and Mitarai, I'm concerned that's going to be handwaved.

I'd also like to see some time spent about the year with Naegi's class as well as her stint as Ryoko, but again, I'm not sure there's enough time to fit all these plots in without losing or underdeveloping some of them.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Honestly part of why I'd be looking forward to them segueing in to interacting with the DR1 class, if they ever did that, would that we'd have to see her actually acting like a normal person for a whole year. Mukuro too (did the DR1 cast ever figure out they were twins then?).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Did Tsumiki even have any fans? I don't know how the cast stacks up in terms of popularity (I know Kirigiri's in the top 10 or something) but I imagine she'd be near the bottom rung.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

FPzero posted:

I liked Mikan and was sad to see her as the murderer in Chapter 3, doubly so when it turned out the only reason she did what she did was because of the stupid Despair Disease thing. I was in the middle of her Free Times and it seemed like all she needed was a friend that didn't want to beat her up or take advantage of her.

Nope, finish her events and she's revealed to still be incredibly manipulative, becoming a nurse so she could have power over sick and injured people who would bully her otherwise. It's implied that she even ends up in those poses just to gather attention.

COBRARocky posted:

Danganronpa 2s biggest problem is that having people run around on a big island doesnt really lend itself to mystery solving - chapter 4 being in an enclosed space made me realize how much better that type of setup is for the murder cases. having people going around the island and half the locations not even being relevant just doesnt work for me.

I actually really disliked chapter 4 - the prolonged time in an enclosed space with very similar backgrounds just made the whole thing drag on. And the case was extra confusing and difficult to boot.

Not to mention the whole convoluted mystery was pretty much 'Gundam doesn't want to admit being a killer because of pride but was confident he'd get caught anyway to save everyone else'.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
SHSL Analyst is still an incredibly powerful talent. It pretty much means that given enough time, she can achieve or beat almost any talent. She can analyze crime scenes as good as Kirigiri, identify people's tells as well as Celes, and be as charismatic as Sonia or Maizono. She could even, through enough watching, figure out how to do stuff like make confections as good as Ruruka if she really wanted to.

Being chaotic and unpredictable is the only real way to throw that off, which is why Naegi is her counter - hope is pretty much being adamant in the face of logic, after all. The other flaw is that she needs time to analyze someone, so someone getting the jump on her might not give her enough time to react. Of course, she's had her whole life to hone her instincts (and having the SHSL Soldier as a sister probably helped).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

IceBorg posted:

This was the weakest episode so far but just the fact that it's now canon that being with Komaeda for a long time makes someone to literally go "gently caress this hope and despair bullshit I will go to space" is the best thing that has happened in the series.

Wait is that what happened to Tsumiki? :v:

Also five episodes left with 10 survivors... we're gonna see a few multiple deaths soon I imagine.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Thinking on it now, if the attacker changes theory is true then I'm pretty sure it just confirmed Aoi killed Gozu.

Here's my guess based on what Monoka had to say this episode, assuming she's 100% telling the truth.

"Someone for sure from the first killing game is going to die."

Which limits us to Togami, Hagakure, Naeigi, Kirigiri and Aoi. If she was only really with Aoi and Naegi during all of this so it's safe to bet she thinks it might be one of them (though she does have cameras).

Fukawa was also a survivor. It'd be pretty weird for her to die now that the Monaca plot is done, but weirder things have happened.

Honestly if I had to guess on someone from the six dying (and not some kinda loophole like 'oh hey Monobear survived DR1 technically'), it'd be Kirigiri or Togami. Hagakure would be the most satisfying, but he's like a cockroach.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Wyvernil posted:

It could also be Togami. Even if Monaka isn't the mastermind, she did play a central role in Naegi being able to get in contact with him. There's something oddly suspicious about that.

If the game isn't actually happening at the Future Foundation HQ, then it's possible that Togami is walking into a trap. That could be what Monaka was talking about, since if Makoto hadn't contacted him, he wouldn't have been involved.

If the Class 78 students are in danger, then the biggest targets are Togami, Kirigiri, Asahina, and Naegi himself. Fukawa is at Towa City and is unlikely to get involved in the plot much more. As for Hagakure, the fan reaction to his death would probably be relief that it wasn't anyone more important(besides, from where he is right now, I can't see how Naegi's actions would affect Hagakure).

But there is one more possibility. Monaka never specified which of Junko's killing games she was talking about. So she could have been talking about the very first mutual killing game involving the student council (which is sure to happen a couple of episodes down the line in the Despair arc), which would mean... Hajime. If Monaka knew about the Future Foundation fleet heading for Jabberwock Island, then things might not look good for Hajime. Or if Chiaki was involved in that first despair game, it could be her, but her survival is looking to be increasingly unlikely.

I haven't gone back to check, but isn't Togami headed to Jabberwock Island? I could be misremembering.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Is there a reason Togami and Fukawa are left out of the 78th class bubble? I'd say it's because they're not participating in the game but Hagakure's in the bubble...

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Since Monaca was controlling a robot, she was never really knocked out either, was she? So she would already know who was moving everybody and how Chisa and Gozu were killed.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Okay where is the 78th class' happy school year going to fit into all this?

I like the small callback to DR1 at the end though, with the Reserve Course students basically finding out what happened in a Closing Argument.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

lotus circle posted:

Actually this makes me wonder if Kirigiri's forbidden action is that she isn't allowed to tell anyone about any detective findings she makes. So she might learn something important, but if she reports on it then she'll be killed. Could also be that she's required to examine at least one corpse before the end of the awake period, unless none exists (meaning the game is over.) Whoever the mastermind is, it's logical that they would want to restrict how much she can do with her talent. Nothing forbids her from examining bodies, but if she can't report her findings then it's completely meaningless.

It would be kinda interesting if Kirigiri died but left clues so that Naegi could piece together the mystery. Kinda like the very first case of DR1.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I hope Byakuya tells Naegi to tell them at some point. I don't even care which.

Also this has been bothering me for a while, but why wasn't Byakuya at the hearing? He was complicit in the events of DR2.

Naegi was the only person they wanted to trial (and Kirigiri by extension since she's his boss), since he was the one that made the decision to put them through the Neo World Program. Kirigiri and Togami helped, but they would probably have been cool with having to kill off the Remnants.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

New episode is a lot of talking but I'm fine with that. Also found out some new codes and general info. It's good but boy did they save a lot of budget.

I guess the rule being "Nobody is allowed to leave this building" would be enough to make Ruruka be the traitor huh. She killed the recruiter and unless they literally get the bracelet off her she isn't going to live to the end. Boy I'm hoping she doesn't live.

Also RIP Togami?? The ending was super unclear as usual and I wonder if he could of got out in time.

I'm sure there's a loophole somewhere.

Also they're really making some restriction codes tougher than others. I mean no running or getting hit is one thing, but no witnessing violence, or opening a part of your body, etc. is really limiting on what one person can do.

Incidentally, do NG codes no longer display once the person is dead? If not, Kirigiri would know Gozu's code.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Has it ever been established who was firing at Hagakure outside the building the whole time?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Peko still affirms her position as a good character.

And it actually took me a moment to remember that Kuzuryu's talent is public knowledge which is why nobody's surprised at him having connections.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm assuming Izuru has every talent up to the 77th class so far. Not sure if he has the Imposter's talent, or if Hope's Peak even knows he/she existed at the time.

He might have the 78th class set as well, since he seems to have SHSL Analytics. Don't know if he has SHSL Soldier, but there are lots of physical talents they could have based him off so far, like the SHSL Boxer.

Or maybe it's more that he's just a blank state of potential for talent to evolve from, so in any given situation he can manifest the required talent. Which would make more sense since I'm guessing they didn't know Junko had analytical ability.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Don't forget that in between DR0 and DR1 she also had a whole year with the 78th class.

I'd actually be more interested in seeing Mukuro interact with normal people.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Are we allowed to post spoilers yet? The episode's up for a while now.

Anyway, called Boxer dying as soon as the episode started. Not sure why he had to die yet, my prevailing theory in my mind is that he's the reason Chisa died. And Kirigiri was pretty much waving a death flag as soon as she and Naegi started talking.

She's pretty much alive I reckon, the bottle people have spotted lends credence to that. Makes sense from a meta point of view since I'm not sure Spike would kill off one of their fan favourites

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Honestly, if Kirigiri really did fake her own death, I expect it to be revealed no later than next episode, otherwise the survivor count wouldn't fool people more than that.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Tired Moritz posted:

Someone had to be the first one dead. Poor guy, he was rigged since everyone's beating each other up.

Eh, it was really just Juzo and Kyosuke. Most of the rest of the deaths were when everyone was asleep, and I'm not sure activating an NG code counts as violence.

The odds were stacked against him, but if he had found a place to hide right off the bat he had a better shot of surviving long-term than Ruruka or Kirigiri.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The period where Chisa was killed was the first time limit, since that's when the attacker had the first chance to strike. So their victims go Chisa > Gozu > Seiko > Ruruka.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

a cartoon duck posted:

turns out they fall asleep for days at a time, Hagakure has been living it up hermit-style for weeks now

I doubt it'd be days, since Kirigiri would probably have noticed all the blood having been dried for ages when she inspected corpses.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Nidai and Gundam being separated from the group would have brought up an interesting idea of 'so how did they become Despair', but at this point it's probably just 'oh the rest of the gang came back and made them watch the video'.

More pressing is how Munakata let Junko run free for so long.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Anatharon posted:

It's struck me as odd that the DR1 cast seems to be older than the DR2 one despite having been in a class the year after.

Or is the DR1 cast attending the school too currently? :confused:

DR1 cast should be just arriving, but there's no mandatory attendance anyway.

I'm not even sure how the 'practical exams' at the end of each year would work for some talents. How would you test Sonia or Ishimaru or Naegi?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Baal posted:

Look all I'm saying is if you kept Ibuki alive in Danganronpa 2, I might not dislike the game as much as I do

As much as I like Ibuki, she wouldn't have been a very good fit in Chapter 6. They were already struggling to make characters like Akane and Souda interesting past Chapter 4.

Then again, they gave up on killing Fuyuhiko and he turned out to be the best character in DR2, so.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Darn it, also got Koizumi. I'm willing to try again til I get Nidai or Fuyuhiko.

I actually had to think about 'would you rather befriend the 77th or 78th class' (because seriously no thanks to the Future Foundation). On one hand, having to deal with Mikan and Hiyoko everyday. On the other hand, having to deal with Fukawa, Yamada and Ishimaru everyday.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Haifisch posted:

Souda was cool until the writers ignored the character traits that made him bearable & emphasized "obsesses over Sonia" and "gets overly hostile under pressure" way too much.

Yeah the role of 'person with perfectly understandable reactions' pretty much shifted to Kuzuryu after Chapter 3 when the Sonia/Mechamaru-crush shifted to high gear.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Aren't there four live people right now? If you add Kyoko that just makes five.

Worth noting is that Naegi passed by Gekkouhara, but we never saw Juzo's corpse. That's a bit of a red flag, even though I doubt Munakata would miss a killing blow.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The idea that brainwashing the attacker each round still means that either Naegi or Asahina killed Gozu, unless he hung himself. I doubt Maya could have been brainwashed since y'know, robot, if she was even knocked out..

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Problem I'd have with Chiaki being in the FF is that she'd definitely have wanted to be involved in the Neo World program, since they were her former classmates and friends.

Asahina's in the 13th branch too, so you'd think she'd have mentioned it at some point. Then again if she wasn't there (since she was only there to support Naegi) the 13th branch wouldn't be represented at all.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

IceBorg posted:

Is this going to be the danganronpa where the big muscle character and the comic relief that has a weird design will finally survive?? We have 3 killing games where they died(4 if you count the student council) so this time I believe one of then at least will make it to the end!

Being the big muscle-bound character seems to be a target for midgame death really (except Gozu, guy went before his time).

If this game's Sakura/Nidai/Gozu makes it to chapter 5 I'd consider it a success for them.

Also maybe we'll actually have a game where none of the 'realistic teen' characters will make it to the end this time round, because really they tend to contribute the least (sorry Asahina, not so sorry Souda).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Wyvernil posted:

Maybe Kirigiri did figure out the body was fake. That might explain why Hina was able to use her notebook to figure out who the attacker was.

That or Chisa was pretending to be dead and switched in the fake body after Kirigiri left.

:wth:

You might actually be on to something here. I think that's the proof that Hagakure doesn't count as a participant(at least, not after Episode 1).

Hagakure is outside the game arena. If he was a participant, that would violate Ruruka's forbidden action, and she'd be dead on arrival. Of course, we don't know whether the "game arena" refers to the underwater facility or the entire island, so...

Letting someone LEAVE the arena is different from having someone be outside the arena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah I glossed over a lot of the punishment. It wasn't as bad as the chainsaw or the lobotomy the last couple of episodes, but the extent they went through it was unneeded.

Honestly the thing I probably enjoyed the most was Juzo's secret. Oh Juzo, you actually got more interesting after you died, and also partly because Ruruka took your place as worst person. I'm actually surprised he didn't fall to Despair along the way.

• Locked thread