Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
im not an 80s kid but it was still a really good show and I actually liked how it gushed 80s feel (even in the title font)

ROFLburger posted:

ya okay great but whats the story about for the other 459 minutes whats the conflict?

read a book idiot

pretty sure 'kid gets stuck in alternate horror reality for days/weeks on end and comes back with some weirdo powers/insights and can't relate to regular people anymore' is fertile soil for all kinds of Stephen King books (in fact I'm p sure IT is basically that, juxtaposing the young and adult characters as it did)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

vols bitch posted:

this show was okay but not worth all the nerd jizz it caused

Also the secret to enjoying anything ever is to not care about what other people think because guaranteed there's a horde of fans circlejerking over it that you want nothing at all to do with.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RedMage129 posted:

"I wish Wynona Ryder hadn't reacted so much as a single mom who lost her youngest son under mysterious supernatural circumstances." - a bad opinion that somehow people have.

Doesn't really surprise me, a lot of people just don't like seeing women doing much other than being a simpering B-role. Def not taking charge and being a big part of the plot. A bunch of people were like 'ugh she looks so bad' too even though nah she actually looks really good.

Wynona actually said in an interview that it was refreshing playing a role where she could really let loose and get emotional with it (and she was scared she wouldn't be able to do it even) and I think given the situation the character was in between having her kid disappear but maybe still be trapped somewhere while everyone around her thinks he is for sure dead and she's for sure going nuts, Wynona did it exactly right.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
also Nancy did not look anorexic to me at all perhaps certain people didn't see many half naked teenage girls in high school

A Pale Horse posted:

The fact that she calls him Hop instead of Chief or Chief Hopper also implies a more personal relationship in the past.

Maybe, it could also just be because it's a tiny town. They probably went to grade school together.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 8, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

City of Tampa posted:

maybe it's just me but I found "crazy stressed-out white trash '80s mom" to be a very sexy look for Wynona.

and the flashback scenes of her and Will were just :3:

i thought she looked really fuckin' good

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

I forget did they ever say if Hooper grew up in the town or was he just a transfer from The Big CIty™? Either way he moved to the town after his daughter croaked.

Speaking of the way they intercut him finding Will with footage of his daughter dying was really bad. I'm sorry. It was easily the worst part of the show.

You know I just googled that very thing to see if I was talking out my rear end or not and I couldn't find anything. It's kinda nice that things are open to interpretation really, I hate when shows explicitly feed you every single thing.

mind the walrus posted:

Speaking of the way they intercut him finding Will with footage of his daughter dying was really bad. I'm sorry. It was easily the worst part of the show.

yeah that scene felt a little weird to me

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
black police showing out for the white cop

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Booblord Zagats posted:

I think the greatest feeling in this post modern world is when you cynically approach something and it turns out to actually be wonderful

that's why my strategy is to approach everything thinking it will be poo poo

then even if it is poo poo you can be smugly superior

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i didn't watch my buddies die facedown in the muck just so some "shadow beast" could come mess up my lawn

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Meta Ridley posted:

Basically letting Hopper live while killing Benny for no reason just doesn't make sense to me.

I always figured they were totally going to kill Hopper and Winona, they were just manipulating them into telling them where the kids were and what they knew first. The nice restaurant owner dude just had nothing of value to them so he got the immediate head shot.

That makes sense because they let Hopper/Winona go into the shadow world and then went 'lol they're never fuckin' coming outta there.' So they definitely planned to tie up loose ends.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 9, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The fact that there wasn't a contingency plan in place for something like this just cements how goddamn stupid the government is in Stranger Things. They don't hire any townsfolk, so nobody is forced into silence by complicity, what possible leverage besides violence could they put against the town? In the epilogue sequence it's even shown that they get their dumb asses sued by Joyce and others.

to be fair the CIA is goddamn stupid

just look at MK Ultra and Frank Olsen

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 9, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Booblord Zagats posted:

They can also be pretty whimsical https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_Kitty

But they even said that the Stranger Things lab was an offshoot from Ultra, as Ele's mom was an MK Ultra subject

quote:

CIA researchers believed that they could train cats to move short distances but that "the environmental and security factors in using this technique in a real foreign situation force us to conclude that for our (intelligence) purposes, it would not be practical."

:ughh:

no poo poo morons

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

this, they telegraphed this too with the long pan over the bodies bleeding out on the floor

Pretty sure at one point during that scene someone (one of the kids?) goes 'oh no... BLOOD'

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

spudsbuckley posted:

I'm so glad that Goons can still manage to suck the fun out of a great TV show by having terminal Aspergers about it and coming up with lovely fanfic/theories about it.

What in the actual gently caress is wrong with you assholes?

Just like the good thing. It's ok, you don't need to go into the loving minutiae of everything ever to "explain" it.

it's okay bro some people like a little thing called discussion and analysis it helps us appreciate the show more

if it's not your bag that's fine but lol at you acting like we're the boors here

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

spudsbuckley posted:

Your discussion is retarded and your analysis is pointless.

"hey guys, why wasn't the upside-down like X, Y and Z??????"
"the show should have had more whatever!!!!!!!!!"
""maybe the next season will do this............"

All of this is stupid and pointless and the people engaging in it are retarded.

Thing exists and is good. Enjoy thing instead of wanking yourselves into oblivion over what it could've, should've been whilst trying to write the second season to match your hosed up fanfic.

nice meltdown?

god forbid anyone discusses Thing if it is good. either shut up entirely or only post paragraphs of thoughtful college level analysis I guess!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
"I hate when people discuss Thing they like, hey let me join this discussion thread about Thing and bitch about it"

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
typical 80s "ugly" girl just remove the glasses and do her hair right :rolleyes:

(she's cute)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Whatever it is, it's derivative.

:smugdon:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It was a little jarring how she just vanished and no one seemed to really care (esp after some other kid vanished!) but whatever she was a square

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

steinrokkan posted:

except her disappearance was the catalyst that got nancy involved in the plot, and led to her working with the creepy kid

you can argue that ultimately the nancy subplot didn't contribute to the conclusion of the story, but it was an enjoyable bit of storytelling

I just mean like the town's response was basically nonexistent, a week after Will just disappeared. For a small town in the 80s that seems odd is all.

I didn't dislike it or anything.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Booblord Zagats posted:

They did a candle light vigil at the school and had lots of volunteers looking for Will. They claimed Barb had just run away and faked some evidence

Right that's why it was weird that the Barb disappearance was taken at face value and no one was going 'idk seems connected to me Sheriff should I be worried for my kids here did she actually run away or... ?' Like I don't even remember her parents really being upset or anything?

just sayin' it felt a little odd is all geez. I still liked the show but I was definitely thinking at one point 'haha no one gives a poo poo about Barb' before I ever saw any discussion about it online

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh well my bad :downs:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
whatever he was there wasn't he drat

coulda just sued from FL or whatever

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lol screeching emotional harpy it wasn't nearly that bad you pansy

how me a frog posted:

no reason to give her that much screen time.

also she's the only name recognition the cast has so ofc she's got a lot of screen time.

FogHelmut posted:

I couldn't get through season one due to Billy Bob Thornton being some kind of advanced god. His ability to make everyone else make the stupidest decision possible was some next level poo poo that I'm not prepared to spend my time on.

yeah he is basically the Terminator (the most ridiculous scene is in one of the later episodes when a couple FBI dudes are introduced) but to be fair re the bad decision making I feel like kinda the point of Fargo is that people are making dumbass decisions (the movie was def like that anyway)

I... didn't like S2 as much. Got a little toooo fantastical imo would been better if they had a certain deus ex machina remain as a background mystery plot for viewers to go 'wait a minute wtf' a week later.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 15, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
and Kubrick just looked at her like

we all suffer for our craft

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

notZaar posted:

You are banned in a reversal of fortune for backseat mod sassing Smythe

that made me smile irl. Smythe is a good mod

Almost as good as Stranger Things is a TV show.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
hail Satan

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Twelve Batmans posted:

Steve was one of the characters I changed my outlook on the fastest, especially when he walked in and started bat-twirling while he beat the poo poo out of the monster.

Yeah I went from hoping he got his skull caved in to liking him more than the other dude actually.

I like how this show is steeped in 80s feel but yet subverts 80s tropes (jock kid turns out to be chill, the goodie 2 shoes no sex haver gets killed while the teens gently caress, etc.)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
idk i think by kid actor standards they did really well

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

steinrokkan posted:

lol, i didn't grow up in america and have 0% cultural connection with the stuff the show is trying to invoke, and i thought it was great

you don't need to have any sort of nostalgia to recognize the original quality of it

I was born in '90, came to the US in '92. Growing up in an immigrant family I didn't really learn any American culture stuff other than what I absorbed through other kids at school (not really much) and what I saw on TV in the 90s.

So, no real US 80s nostalgia either and I thought it was great. TBH I didn't even realize it was supposed to be set in the 80s until about 2-3 episodes in when I started wondering where their cell phones were; just figured it was some small hick town in America :downs: (I was high leave me alone)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

notZaar posted:

I'm almost sure the first scene is explicitly set in 1982.

yeah but again I was high and prolly missed the title card and/or forgot about it 2 seconds later

Booblord Zagats posted:

THIS is why we need Trump, guys. He could have stopped this

but my family started a business which generates a lot of tax money and provides well paying American jobs?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
you're all a bunch of cykas

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
why do you people have to talk about anime all the goddamn time

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

i wish

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Laurenz posted:

That's a thing of the past, I feel like that doesn't happen much anymore

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A Pale Horse posted:

Please do not try to figure out the fantasies of teenage girls and unfuckable cat ladies. Also don't post about them in the thread.

• Locked thread