Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

e X posted:

Dare I ask with whom?

Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Kurzon posted:

The idea that Batman must be a broken person is a bit of an insult to everyone who has gone through a traumatic experience and seeks to do something about that thing that made him sad. He deals with this thing through violence, but honestly violence is a key part of dealing with crime. Why he didn't become a cop is rarely explained in a satisfactory way.
One explanation is that he saw how crooked the Gotham cops were, and thought there was no point joining such a corrupt and ineffective organisation. From memory Zero Year has something along those lines for why he doesn't trust Gordon initially.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

Has there ever been a Batman comic where Bruce is confronted by his parents who see his life as Batman and ask him why he used his life spending their money and using their legacy as a vigilante?

Somewhat relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f74AQUeXfBY

Thomas Wayne has been Batman at least three times I can think of, so he'd probably be fine with Bruce's life choices.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Baal posted:

Two years back is a pretty short memory span, because the Suicide Squad movie was actually pretty good looking despite its dumb everything else.

Aside from Deadshot going off-model at points.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

TwoPair posted:

It's not hard to have better writing than Arkham Knight.

The Joker stuff in AK is fantastic.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I think the GotG formula of "sort of related to the movies but not really" is best for this kinda show.

It's how BTAS did it at the start too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

If a movie's a huge flop it can't really kill a genre since it means no one saw it so their opinion of the genre will remain unchanged.
Studios can get spooked about making more though.

Judging purely on lists on the internet there do seem to be a lot more pirate movies in 80s / early 90s than after Cutthroat Island.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

How many more years until another movie with "mars" in the title?

Maybe The Martian broke that, I don't know.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

ManlyGrunting posted:

Did the Martian do well at the box office? I know it was pretty well-liked critically but sometimes that doesn't mean much.

Exceptionally well: ~630M worldwide on a budget of ~110M.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

purple death ray posted:

I don't think it's satire. It is a movie of mostly very talented actors (as well as Chris O'Donnell and Alicia Silverstone) just going full ham and chewing the scenery and just having a great old time. It's really the closest thing to the Adam West series and their "special guest villains" who were Hollywood icons given the chance to just go nuts and act like a cartoon.

Is it a good movie, maybe not. But it is a good time.

It's firmly in the "so bad it's good" category for me.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

haitfais posted:

That's a good point. They haven't had Andrea Romano doing the voice direction for the last few movies, have they?

She did the two N52 Justice League movies, plus Son of Batman, Assault on Arkham, and Batman vs Robin.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Luthor was definitely supposed to look greek or something
Yeah, he was explicitly based on Telly Savalas (who played Kojak, Maggot in The Dirty Dozen, and Blofeld in OHMSS) who had Greek parents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwQqEuqvCig&t=24s

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 7, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

Batman the Animated Series came out right after Batman Returns and at the start seemed to carry elements in common with the Burton movie, like some score elements and the Penguin being a deformed weirdo. It was ambiguously an adaptation, so maybe the network didn't think it was necessary.

I'm pretty sure the show bible says just that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It was well received I think.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, this is it. The solution is just to edge Joker back from "gruesome spree killer with vague 'jokes!' theming" and into "criminal comedian who will do horrible things if it's funny". There are so many Joker stories now where he just slaughters people with knives or poison gas or whatever and the only nod to his raison d'etre is that they have him laugh or maybe make a pun while he does it. The jokes angle should be primary for him, not secondary to him wanting to kill a bunch of people.

It's why he worked really well in Arkham Knight. They couldn't do anything with him but black comedy, so they really leant into that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

purple death ray posted:

That's basically what happens in Arkham Knight and it's the best the Joker has been written in years.

It really is.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

TwoPair posted:

That's like, the lowest bar to clear.

And yet Assault on Arkham was better than Suicide Squad.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Thompsons posted:

For some reason I got bored and decided to watch through parts of Flashpoint Paradox because I dunno, and I think ultimately what bothered me more than the unrelenting grimness and brutality of it all is... do they ever explain what Thawne/Reverse Flash's motivation is, like at all? He goes through all this effort to gently caress things up for Flash and it's like, why? The closest thing I could figure is him thinking Flash is a phony or gloryhound but it's like why fuckin single him out for that?

He doesn't go through much effort, that's the thing. Changing the timeline was all on Barry.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Batman went straight in because the cartoon was building on the (then recent) Burton movies.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Are people still mad about the Bat-Embargo? I was re-watching some JLU a few days ago, and not having Bat-baggage to deal with probably let them have more freedom with their selection of villains. I didn't know who the hell was in the Legion of Doom, and I liked that feeling.

Not mad, but I think it was a bad decision since it ruled out some of the other fun members of the Bat-Family (Batgirl, Nightwing, etc).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Amphetamines weren't a thing in the 60s.

I think JFK would disagree, for one.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

But it's not a bat suit, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMDBWK_LuUw

Not yet.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

purple death ray posted:

I'll wait to see what the art looks like but yall couldn't have come up with a better name?

Batmanime.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dexie posted:

There's also the fact that in most cases, the only place to get comic books is at (surprise!) a comic book shop, and those have a habit and a reputation of being unfriendly places towards newcomers and outsiders.
That's increasingly less true though, given the rise of digital and the success of things like The Walking Dead and Saga in the trade / bookstore market.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yeah, but while comics are growing they will unlikely be as big as they were in their heyday again.

Agreed, but they're definitely more accessible than they were a decade ago.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Galvanik posted:

DC and Marvel on the other hand are in the business of selling the same characters forever, and they're shackled to their conceit of a shared universe, so nothing too disruptive can happen in any book. Like, imagine a DC author came up with the idea to have a Death Note type villain fighting Batman. However interesting (your mileage might vary) a concept that might be to explore, the author would be hamstrung by the need to not affect what's happening in Superman or any of the other titles. Not that this hypothetical story couldn't be done, but it would be much more limited in scope than if the Batman book was self contained.
On the other hand things like Brave and the Bold or JL/JLU (to stick with the thread topic) only work as well as they do because of the shared universe.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

Suicide Squad always makes me wonder: who in comics has done the absolute worst and still was able to be redeemed and become a "hero" again? John Stewart?

Lex Luthor and Doctor Doom have both had recent runs at being a hero. Magneto's been back and forward over the years. The Illuminati have all been dicks (to varying extents).

It's still Hal Jordan though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Kurui Reiten posted:

From what I remember, that was near immediately retconned as being done by Xorn.

No, not that Xorn. The other Xorn. The first one.

No, no, the other first one.

I think retcons were involved in rehabilitating Hal Jordan too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

The only two men are Yuri Lowenthal and Nolan North.

Troy Baker, surely.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I don't think that's a good comparison.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Oh yeah, Marvel Rising is up on youtube.
The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

Is there an "essential episode" list for YJ out there? I was going to re-watch before checking out season three (it's been a while for me) and didn't know if there's an important episode list or if I should just plow through it all in a week or two.

Probably just plough through it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

So in the new Hush adaption Hush is actually the Riddler, not Tommy Elliot. Also Tommy dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

Why does DC animation love Harley so much? I am still trying to scrub the batmobile fart scene out of my mind :eyepoop:

Because she's really popular.