Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ImpAtom posted:

In that case I think it's more that Conroy is good for a very specific kind of Batman. He is (more or less) compassionate-sounding. He can get angry or serious but when he does it is because someone has done something unforgivable rather than because it is his default state.

I watched a clip of the end of The killing joke and he completely nails the one moment he's genuinely talking to Joker and begging him to let him help him and I think that is because that is Conroy's strength. He absolutely rocks the compassionate element of Batman that is present in TAS. It's also why he is so frequently a poor fit for Arkham where Batman is kind of a poo poo. However him being The Batman Actor means he gets cast even in stories where Batman lacks the compassion that Conroy can sell so hard.

He did JLU dick Batman fairly well. I do think it has more to do with a lack of Andrea Romano. I mean, I just realized a couple weeks ago that she was the voice director for Legend of Korra which answered so many questions on how the readings of some seriously lovely character dynamics can be so well done.

You do have a point, though, about Conroy's niche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Acne Rain posted:

Arky kham Country

It'll be another prequel called Arkham Cul-de-Sac.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SlothfulCobra posted:

The way I heard it, sidekicks back in the day were there to make the hero into more of a father figure to provide a kind of fatherly influence to young readers in an era with a lot of paternal abandonment.

It is interesting when you look at the superheroes who were conceived decades later like most of Marvel's catalog were and they barely have sidekicks at all, compared to all the kid compatriots in the golden age. In those days, everyone was trying to court teenagers, and the only "real" sidekick I can think of from then was Rick Jones.

I always found the Legion of Siperheroes as an interesting case study in whether relatableness was really a driving issue. I don't really know how popular they were around their creation, but anecdotally, my father's favorite comic growing up was Ferro Lad of all people. :psyduck:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Chaos Hippy posted:

Ferro Lad had his own comic?

I don't think so. I probably should have just said "favorite character". If I recall correctly, Ferro Lad didn't last that long in the silver age, anyway, which is why I found it so strange.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The best episode of BTAS simultaneously had my favorite BTAS villain, the best non-BTAS protagonist, and the bare minimum of B in it.

Of course, I mean this. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Timeless Appeal posted:

True, but the Fleischer toons came so early on in Superman's life that while they nail Clark and Lois, not a lot of the other elements we associate with Superman are there. One of the interesting things about B:TAS it that it takes a lot from Batman's history from Ra's, Bane, Killer Croc, the Tim Drake costume, the older Dick Grayson, Batgirl, etc and fits them in this 1940s aesthetic pretty seamlessly. The fact that Dick's 90s rear end Robin costume works on that show at all is impressive.

I'd be interested how they'd fit a more wholistic Superman in the Fleischer style.

I imagined he would be more like pre-Crisis or Earth-2 Superman. Older. A little more sentimental. Willing to joke around and meet Batman as Bruce without all the sparks or animosity we saw in the TNBA/STAS 3-part crossover when they found out each other's identities.

Edit: Interesting note to that. I remember being pleasantly surprised when they remembered Louis in the list of dames old Bruce was fondly remembering in the Ra's episode of Batman Beyond.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 24, 2017

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Reinanigans posted:

X-23 was created specifically for X-Men Evolution. I remember absolutely hating that decision and letting the character's creator know about it on an old animation message board I briefly moderated.

Spyke was the worst character. He was basically Poochie.

The first time I saw X-23 was on a VS System card, and I remember wondering who the gently caress the girl Wolverine was. Then someone told me they gave Wolverine a daughter, and I was vindicated in my knowledge that DC remained superior to Marvel.

Of course, that was almost 15 years ago.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 29, 2017

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Samuringa posted:

except Hal Jordan, of course

I'm surprised they haven't done a Joker w/ GL or Sinestro Corps ring, yet. I guess it would just be a bad take on Emperor Joker, eh?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lurdiak posted:

It wasn't a great episode but I love the premise of one of the BTAS episodes where Joker in disguise bombs at open mic night and swears revenge. "I'm funny! :saddowns:"

I wanted to see more Condiment King! :(

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

purple death ray posted:

I wouldn't skip the Red Claw episodes just because of the good Catwoman stuff in there. I love DCAU Selina but unfortunately she does get saddled with some clunkers.

Did Beyond or any of the tie in comics ever explain what happened to her?

There was one decent Red Claw episode, and it was when she kidnaps Alfred to get the code to a nuke ICBM just because it was nice to see Alfred be something other than Jeeves.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Everyone arguing about the point and substance of Looney Toons/Merry Melodies needs to watch this, first.

In fact, just watch all of his videos.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Man, Shadow Raiders was the darkest loving kids cartoon on the 90's. It starts with a planetary genocide.

Exo Squad

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

JT Smiley posted:

They also made Raptrap totally useless in battle so all he could do was run and hide and turned Rhinox into a villain.

Not only did they turn Rhinox into a villain. They turned him into a mentally retarded brute who ended up staying a villain after the Maximals successfully rescued him.

The one cool part of Beast Machines was when Primal was able to piss Megatron off so much, he lost his connection to Cybertron and devolved back to his dragon form.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
They're streaming a bunch of new Justice League Action shorts right now.

And they're pretty great.

I still can't get over Plastic Man being voiced by Master Shake. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

wdarkk posted:

Space Cabby having 2 shorts is kind of surprising. Also great Superman writing.

Nothing is wrong with more Patton Oswald.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Kurui Reiten posted:

Also a talented voice actor!

What's a voice actor?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

HIJK posted:

I love Mark Hamill so much

You need to watch this Q&A he did at Oxford last year. It's amazing the whole way through.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

punk rebel ecks posted:

So my comic book peers keep telling me that comic book heroes would kick Goku and other shonen protagonists rear end in a fight. Are there any good animated films that depict how strong these heroes powers are? Such as Superman, Hulk, Thor, etc.?

The most well known comparison videos are probably ScrewAttack's Death Battles on youtube. They use some sketchy numbers and assumptions for a lot of their comparisons, but in the end, it's all fanwankery, anyway.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Wheat Loaf posted:

They're all good, but a lot of them are things I think you'd recommend who's already on board with superhero comics. I think Morrison JLA, for instance, presumes familiarity with all sorts of Fourth World stuff, and it has this decent-sized stretch where Superman is Superman Blue, then in another issue he isn't any more, because that's what was happening in the Superman comics at the time and there's not really any explanation for it in the JLA issues themselves.

Geoff Johns on Teen Titans, likewise, ties in a bunch with other books and crossovers and particularly Infinite Crisis - there's a couple of issues which might as well be issues of Infinite Crisis. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but I think it relies too much on DC comics minutiae to be approachable, at least compared with New Teen Titans.

Identity Crisis. :v:

HIJK posted:

All in all I prefer adaptations to comics to comics themselves which brings us full circle in this thread! The best superhero cartoon is of course Superman TAS. Fite me.

Only if the series was 3 seasons of "Apokolips...Now!" on repeat.

TFRazorsaw posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvi1bBBcAyc

this is still one of the most emotional cape-related things that I've ever seen.

Also, yes.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dexie posted:

Most importantly though?

The turtles began to mutant further, into these horrifying abominations. :gonk:

Needless to say, none of this worked. The show's ratings continued to plummet. No one was watching it and eventually it was quietly canceled.

I think it's safe to consider it a mercy killing.

Holy gently caress. Why did you have to remind me that happened? :gonk:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Samuringa posted:

I wish that, instead of S3, Young Justice got an Unlimited brand

As much as people like to poo poo on the newer DC animated properties, I really enjoy Justice League Action. It is like a happy medium between Batman TBATB and JLU.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I would like to introduce you all to a little show called, “The Venture Brothers”.

Yes, I know the situation is completely different.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, what you’re saying is this should be the trial week I sign up for?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
*insert all of Jean's X-gasms*

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SHOCKERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

YOU CAN'T ESCAPE MEEE I'LL CHASE YOU TO THE ENDS OF THE EAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARTH!

Vandar posted:

It's because they went for the 1920s aesthetic and were able to argue that no child is going to just find a tommy gun lying around somewhere in their house. :allears:

Early '90s Warner Brothers was the last time we really saw a big name studio let a production staff run wild on a cartoon (which is ironic considering it was arguably the height of parental hysteria re: kid's TV). This is how we got Rupert Thorne pulling realistic handguns on Bats, and jokes like this.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm about to pull the trigger on the DC streaming 7 day free trial. I plan on binging season 3 of YJ. Anything else I should prioritize?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Skwirl posted:

Whatever parts of the DCAU you might've missed
I liked the Titans live action show
Christopher Reeves Superman 1 and 2
Keaton Batman and Returns
Batman Under the Red Hood
Justice League Gods and Monsters
Batman '66

I've seen all of these outside the live action Titans show. Thanks, though.

Toshimo posted:

This plus:

Doom Patrol
Flash 1990

lol. I didn't even see the 90's Flash series listed. That's amazing.

Hypocrisy posted:

The Harley Quinn cartoon was actually quite good. I recommend it if you're looking for a comedy.

>_> Maaaaaaaybe

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dawgstar posted:

The only thing that kind of stands out as bad - or more precisely irritating - in are the Light doing the just as planned shtick to kind of a silly degree (even as it's Weisman's thing, I know) and trying to make Sportsmaster happen.

Hey, now. I think they did a pretty awesome job with a joke badguy from the Golden Age. :colbert:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nanigans posted:

The voices will never sound right without Andrea Romano directing them, end of story.

Basically. Dini/Timm may have been the "big names" that pitched the DCAU, but what really made them able to generate 15 years of amazing cartoons were the singular talents of Romano and McDuffie. She made the voices, and he reigned in Timm while still being talented enough to write/direct compelling stories.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Azubah posted:

Kinda hard to agree with that since the 90s X-Men cartoon had a bunch of story arcs and I followed them pretty well as a kid.

It still has the best version of Apocalypse.

I really wonder if they had a separate writer just for Apocalypse's lines. The overwrought metaphors and self-entitled commentary were a treasure to behold.
Nothing beat John Colicos chewing the scenery. He was Kor in DS9. I think that was his last real roll.
:rip:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 21, 2020

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

This is the greatest thing I've seen all day.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lurdiak posted:

If you watch the episode of BTAS where Barbara is introduced, pre-Batgirl and still like 15 at the most, she has a huge crush on Batman and it's obviously foreshadowing her to be a love interest despite the absurd age difference. Even then the seeds for this horrible idea were being planted.

I'm pretty sure she's a university freshman when she's introduced. BTAS Robin was well into college before becoming Nightwing. In fact, that's the reason he's only in maybe 1/4 of the series episodes. And IIRC, the two of them were an item before she became Batgirl.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bfAVpuko5o
Full trailer for Invincible. Yeah, if you weren't a fan of the ultraviolence in the comic it looks like it is still there. Also the trailer comes pretty drat close to giving away the first big twist of the series.

This reminds me. After JL: Dark, I wondered why DC hadn't decided to just animate Stormwatch/The Authority yet.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Blockhouse posted:

Oh yeah I thought Harley went without saying.

But then you've got stuff like the ninja (who the show kept saying was a samurai?), the Dickensian pickpocket training sewer children, the dude who was just invisible, the guy who turned Catwoman into a furry, and the roughly five thousand near identical generic mobster guys

Hey. We also got the Temple Fugate version of Clock King. (I wish they had ripped him a little more directly into the comics instead of just ganking the character design a couple times.)

Vandar posted:

It absolutely does. :colbert: The Zeta Project spun out of Batman Beyond, the two crossed over several more times, and they even had the prototype versions of Zeta show up in Justice League a handful of times as the Z-8 robots.

I'm kind of surprised they never tried importing Zeta into the comics somehow, unless it happened and I missed it.

Zeta Project also had a couple crossovers/nods with Static Shock, randomly. A show with a concept so popular, it got imported into the comics whole-cloth.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
BTAS was also my introduction to Jonah Hex. For years, I thought that he was an original character for that one-off Ra's al Ghul episode. Then, I realized he was voice by Bill loving McKinney. :psyduck: Too bad they couldn't get him back for the JLU guest appearance.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Finally getting around to watching season 3 of Young Justice. I've heard a lot of the complaints from when it first came out, but no one told me they didn't get Tim Curry back as G. Gordon Godfrey! :(

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
YJ S3: Holy poo poo, that Doom Patrol GO! segment. :stare:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
YJ S3: The episode introducing Gar's Outsiders was just a continuous series of face-palms. I've enjoyed the season so far, even with its flaws. But that's the first episode that was just painful to watch. The screenplay had "how do you do, fellow kids?" all over it. :doh:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The United States posted:

How was the adaptation of HUSH?

I was going to ask about this, too.

Also, Rise of the Supermen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Watch JL: Gods and Monsters last night. It....was actually pretty good. I was surprised, especially since it wasn't an attempt at an adaptation.