Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

There better be Nolan North and Laura Bailey voice options :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

How the gently caress does Penders get work? Is he basically offering his lovely art for minimum wage prices

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I really like Hilltop, but that may be because of the music

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

One disappointing thing
Super Tails & Knuckles still just do the white flashing they did in S3&K, with maybe some subtle color changes. And no new animations beyond the transformation. I assume this is a Sega decision, because I imagine the team would have been eager to make cool new sprites and animations for the two.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Or they didn't have time to add such primo nonsense 'cause the game ain't called Knuckles Mania
Just you wait until Sonic Mania & Knuckles is announced

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

You could probably run it on a Saturn, albeit with the resolution of that time and plenty of framerate drops like in the old Genesis games when poo poo gets busy. If I recall, the Saturn was pretty good at handling sprite.

What Mania did was good, however. Like Shovel Knight, it's just trying to capture that era of graphics while adhering to the technical standards of today (widescreen, consistent framerate, etc.). I remember hating all the slow down in S3&K in the Sonic gems collection.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Man, just get Tee Lopes to replace the disputed tracks in S3. Yeah, it sucks to lose them, but the replacements will kick rear end and we get another kickass remaster.

(Also modders will inevitably put the original tracks back in)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

Pocket Adventure is a weird game. It's basically Sonic 2 but with 3's music for some reason.
In the weirdest ways too. Not Emerald has Angel Island Act 1 music, and Not Chemical Plant has Angel Island Act 2 music. It's like they just slapped the songs in at random.

Oh, and the game uses the S3&K invincibility music, but the S3 theme for Knuckles.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I've been trying to find this on my own, but come up empty-handed. Does anyone have an explanation for why the original Sonic theme from 1 & 2 never became an enduring thing? I know it has something to do with royalties that Sega doesn't want to pay for every game, but they do dip into on occasion like for Generations. Seemed weird they didn't also go for it with Mania.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The weirdest thing about Forces is that it was delayed a year from Sonic's 25th anniversary and yet that extra time doesn't seem apparent. It also feels like we've seen less of Forces than Generations by this point in their marketing. Almost as if they know how underwhelming it is. But maybe it's a side effect of releasing two games so close together.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Sonic 1 on gba is probably a bad example given how half-assed of a port it was.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

Sonic being in Brawl was amazing. It's a shame he wasn't any fun to play as.
He was apparently a last-minute inclusion, to the point where it was part of the reason the game was delayed until 2008.

It sucks because his moveset is pretty dull, and it's unlikely to change since that would require going over it with Sega and eat up dev time.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

From last page, I do remember an episode of the cartoon revolving around Robotnik stealing Sonic's shoes so he couldn't run without getting friction burns.

Unrelated, but does anyone know what inspired monitors as item boxes?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I'm excited to play the second-best Sonic game of 2017.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

To get :tinfoil: here, i wouldn't be surprised if Forces missed the 25th anniversary so Mania could release beforehand and both minimize focus on Forces and get people feeling confident enough in the franchise again to take a gamble.

Not to say it's a Boom or '06, but nothing after the announcement of the OC creator has really gotten me interested in the game.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I want a Sonic 3D Blast 2, and I didn't even like the original.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I hope reviewers realize they can't ALL make the Sonic Farces pun.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

More like a 5 hour one. As the guy who reported this stated after an hour in they finished 10 levels and the game says they are 20% done. Unless the later levels get much longer and more complex.
Still longer than generations which was about 3-4 hours and crammed challenges. If Forces has no "Okay now play three of these challenges before moving." then it's pretty meaty for a Sonic game.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Honestly Forces would have had a good plot if it was self-aware and throwing in the overly dramatic poo poo as a nod to the series' past. Overly edgy poo poo like Infinite with self-aware humor would have made for a simple, solid story.

Corny poo poo like, Sonic has been taken prisoner and is being tortured, but the torture is the drowning countdown music being played over and over in his cell. I honestly thought that was the direction we were going given the Twitter account, the ability to make OC, and so forth...but I dunno. I'm more curious in the tone of Forces than where Mania fits in the Zelda timeline.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

While I don't personally mind the Modern gameplay switching to 2D for segments, it does feel very superfluous when Classic is already a part of the game's core modes. It makes it seems like they have no real confidence in how Modern Sonic plays and just toss in 2D bits as filler.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

is it me or is the music for Classic Sonic just really poo poo in the game? Like the modern/OC tracks are at least decent, and everything in Classic I've heard sounds like maybe a notch above Sonic 4's soundtrack.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

whoops

This was a mistake post, but I'll say that Sonic Forces is bad and I'll still buy it because the OC is good.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Yes, you can rig up a way to play Sonic 1/2 on your pc, that these ports remain mobile is bewildering. At least with Sonic 3 you can claim rights issues with the Jackson estate. Although now you could just have Tee Lopes do new music :thunk:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Takoluka posted:

what would even cause the lasers to do that

how can a game be THAT broken
There's a reason they were willing to delay Forces past the 25th Anniversary.

...partly because they didn't start development until late 2016, but you get the point

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

Sonic Mania and Sonic Generations both give you some control over music, and those are good games. :colbert:
Counterpoint: they’re good games without the music.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

DizzyBum posted:

I forget what happens during the second half of the game if you fail to get all the Emeralds before Mushroom Hill. I think you continue on as normal and you can still try to get all 7 before Hidden Palace. Do you get locked out of the Super Emeralds? It's been a long time.
They're just normal Large Rings until you get them all, then they turn into Super Rings. It's not possible to be "locked out" since you unlock level select once the game is cleared regardless of ending.

It does make the cutscene with Knuckles in Mushroom Hill confusing.

EDIT: Actually, I guess you can technically game over in S3&K. What happens when you run out of continues?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I’ve gotten a game over, but the game vomits continues and saves them. So I never saw a an actual Game Over.

I also was afraid that running out of continues would erase your save file, so I never dared try it. No, getting a game over on a throwaway save file never occurred to Young Me.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Hilltop always had good music, and decades later Tee Lopes confirms it with the killer HD remix :colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRjHM8wiTbg

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

Are.... are the other heavies gonna be okay?
Robotnik is sending them to a farm up north.

Cybershell will be looking after them :unsmith:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

What is it like being so incredibly wrong? Does it hurt?
Well, all the games it was in were bad so presumably it took resources away from making them good.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Amy in Sonic Advance was an interesting take since she couldn’t spin when jumping or pressing down, so you had to manually attack.

Not sure if her hammer abilities were a worthwhile tradeoff, but it’s something worth building off.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Sonic Forces feels like a game that was rushed to completion, but unlike ‘06 they knew better and made sure it was polished enough and priced properly. Which led to a complete game, but one that felt short and lacking in mechanics or cohesion.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The only time I was truly stuck in 2D Sonic was Sonic 2, and that’s because it’s two bosses back-to-back and you never get any rings.

And probably more because having to fight Silver Sonic every god time time was annoying. I don’t recall straight-up Game Overing that much, but just getting bored and figuring I had better things I could do with my time. Also, I think the Death Egg Robot took way the hell too many hits to beat.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Why the gently caress wouldn’t it be the Retro engine remake? Their refusal to release those on console is utterly baffling to me :psyduck:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Is that why bonus stages are now pinball in Mania Mode?

I mean, if unlocking all gold medals removes blue sphere from Mania Mode, then I can see why a Blue Sphere hater would use the cheat.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Barudak posted:

Chao Garden is trash and it surprises me to this day anyone actually played that mode.
Keep in mind it’s competing with the main scenario, so it seems way more fun by comparison.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Simsmagic posted:

this movie's gonna be so fuckin bad
Now think of the video game version :getin:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Fawf posted:

It's Sonic 1 with a drop dash, there's actually not much else to talk about
Now if it was the Taxman version, there would be plenty of new bonus features like Mighty and Ray being added that we could talk about :v:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Frankston posted:

I'm from the future and I have some bad news
I mean the All Star racing games weren’t bad, and the team mechanics are at least an interesting twist on mascot racers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

How on Earth are some of you thinking this after the reveal that Sonic is going to be a blue-fuzzed giant-headed goblin man who’s completely naked except for a pair of shoes. This movie is going to be god drat incredible and put the Mario Bros. movie to shame in how much it misses the point, I’m so excited.
EXACTLY

It’s like someone knows how hosed production was gonna be and just went “gently caress it.” and endeavored to make it at least memorably bad.