Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
there's currently another DIY disaster ongoing

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813464&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

the big takeaway is "man cuts the tops off several I-Beams, to put a bathtub on top of them" but like any good forum trainwreck theres a lot more details smashed between competing horrors that are being pried free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
yah itd be one thing if it was just a big dumb gently caress up, the unwarranted hubris is what really sells it

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
get with the program

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the fire type diabetes was the best starter

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i think the piano guy ended up slow roasting himself in his car while high on some other dumb rear end combination of detergent and ground up flintstones vitamins

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
one pill makes you larger, and one pill makes you small / and the ones your dead spouse left you, gets you roast by a fire ball / why is there, a Bechstein in my hall

Tiler Kiwi has a new favorite as of 05:45 on Jun 3, 2017

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
harm reduction

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
breakfast machine music starts as goon stares at quasi-legal substance / potentially lethal chinese death powder used to kill stray dogs, in their hand. they stroke their chin quizzically, glancing across their kitchen. camera slowly pans across piles of empty pill bottles, bloody tissues, then, alone, on the shelves, a can of peanut butter stands innocently. camera cuts back to goon, slowly zooms in as a grin slowly grows across their face

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

SciFiDownBeat posted:

smg is acknowledged to be a contrarian by people who read cined but don't post in it

hes a dumb rear end idiot

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
jason is the fear of circumcision manifest

e:

Triticum Guzzler posted:

INT. DANK TORTURE BASEMENT - NIGHT

The sound of metal chains whipping against bare flesh hang heavy in the air, like a bird
flying into a headwind. The room is damp and sparsely lit. SUPERMECHAGODZILLA's scarred
jowls are illuminated by a desk lamp laying sideways on the floor

SUPERMECHAGODZILA
Which reading is true? Which reading is true? WHICH READING IS TRUE!?

KOOS
[Spits mouthful of blood] The words are used specifically for their
literal intention, the events are straightforward so as to be easily
understood by an audience of children.

The beating begins again, with a furious vigour, until SUPERMECHAGODZILLA can barely
stand. He rests one hand against a dirty wall, sweat marring his 1993 Nebraska Film
Festival hypercolor t-shirt.

SUPERMECHAGODZILA
The opposite reading is true... The opposite reading is true. I've
been to college.

KOOS straightens his posture, his pride and dignity unscathed by the days long assault
of a fat, stupid man.

KOOS
Any perceived allusions to facism in A Goofy Movie are a wholesale
invention of a misguided viewer.

SUPERMECHAGODZILLA adopts the look of a man who has been defeated. Wearily, he grabs a
shotgun that had been resting in the corner, and cocks it loudly.

KOOS
Goofy simply wishes to bond with his son through fishing, a traditional
pastime, as he had done with his own father. It is neither parable nor
allegory. Neither dog was molested, the material does not support this.

Tiler Kiwi has a new favorite as of 06:16 on Jun 15, 2017

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

hes a dumb rear end idiot

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

:ssh: The joke is it's a spitoon because you don't swallow for him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgiw9Y2sqV0&t=17s

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

You've got stronger nerves than me if you're able to get through 10 seconds of that video before the guy who's filming it distracts all of your attention away from it with his heavy labored breathing

its kind of a performance piece in itself

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

should have said "finnish this discussion"

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the first mistake is actually being born to this sin cursed earth

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
not a good thread to read when hungry

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Kleobis and Biton's long lost and less happy brother.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
herzog is on a personal poo poo list for pointlessly boiling a bunch of rats to death, in a failed effort to dye them. tho he did at least give a voice to the tragedy of insane penguins.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

But of course the average dipshit wouldn't be able to resist getting into a slapfight and would frequently write themselves into a hole in no time.

we have a lot of weird functionally in our brain that both leaves us terrified of being shamed and also makes us incredibly gullible to our own justifications and this combination is something that binds all kindred spirits, from the person getting repeatedly owned online, to the person trying to represent themselves in a trial, to the dude standing drunk outside a mcdonalds at three am screaming to anyone and everyone that he only pissed himself because they won't give him the mcmuffin he fairly paid for

its such things that i find wonderful in people

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Dare I ask what "Cum Town" is?

comedy podcast popular with what is known as the "dirtbag left"; theres a lot of overlap between them and the more-overtly political podcast "chapo trap house". The wikipedia entry for chapo more or less describes their particular strain of thought accurately

wikipee-pee-doo-doo posted:

Biederman has said the show's intended audience are those seeking alternatives to existing leftist media, which he characterizes as "the dominion of either upper-middle-class smugness when it's even the least bit funny and insufferable self-righteousness when it's even the least bit conscious."[4] Similarly, Christman said that leftist perspectives in media tend toward either the "smug above-it-all snark of The Daily Show or the quaver-voiced earnestness of, like, Chris Hedges or something. Neither of those models offer the visceral thrill of listening to people who actually give a poo poo (as opposed to the wan liberalism of people who are mostly interested in showing how much smarter they are than Republicans)."[4] Menaker has said that their perspective is meant to be in "marked contrast to the utterly humorless and bloodless path that leads many people with liberal or leftist proclivities into the trap of living in constant fear of offending some group that you're not a part of, up to and including the ruling class."[4]

also first time i was exposed to pet island there was a mod (i think) going off the rails about how trying to breed a less "gamey" pitbull would be ruining the breed

Tiler Kiwi has a new favorite as of 22:27 on Dec 12, 2019

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Cum Town isn't that, though, it's more like "What if R. Kelly hosed Pepper Ann" while a guy cackles in the background.

i dont listen to it but i do think there's an overlap with those crowds, to the point i kept thinking they were the same podcast, and explains maybe why a lot of its fans went and charged up the corpse strewn "its just a joke" hill to meet an ignoble demise

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
buddy i dont need the internet to help me do that

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Alaois posted:

raenir saleazar or however you spell their name reported me for "Death threats" after i said i was gonna break a folding chair over their head

your twitter career is over mieeeee-stir kennedy

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Gone Fashing posted:

cumtown fans try their hardest to ape the humor of the show but they're really bad at it. just (don't) have a look at the subreddit, it's really bad

never ever look at any fan subreddit

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
threads that just post cute animals are good
this goes for reddit too, to be fair

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Andrast posted:

Most dramas here could be fixed in two seconds by going "oh sorry my bad, I'll reverse it"

there is unfortunately several millennia of evolutionary forces and centuries of the dead's thoughts and traditions contriving to push us to own ourselves online all the time.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
watch jojo

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
well im sure its a productive chat for everyone involved that will end with amicable understanding between parties

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

ExplodingSims posted:

Like, as far as middle aged men who grew up in the midwest go, Lowtax could certainly be a lot worse, but uh, he needs to be a lot better or just step back.

hes not going to. nobody is going to step back.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the deepest irony that I enjoy in all this, is that the mantle of "being the folk that relentlessly dogpile the admins to formulate a response to a known but ignored problem, turning more and more embittered with the state of the site with every eighty page long thread battle with idiots, and becoming the specter haunting the brains of gbs posters" was passed from fyad to tgrs

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
every time i see you post elephant i am reminded momentarily of the cspam election thread in 2016 and how you were insisting the posters were arzying up to the moment right before the major news networks called it for trump

its not really meant as a scathing indictment of you as a poster, rather than that i look back on that and still think its funny

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i think you have to be able to laugh at bad things, and good things, and all things really because life is both incredibly important and precious but also dumb and petty and we'll all die and all that will be left of us centuries hence is the fillings in our teeth and the stories of our posts on this rancid rear end forum. take a night to just sit outside and enjoy the rain in the twilight. the universe turns, the sun will rise on its own with no knowledge or concern for our lives, trump has a small msuhroom dick, jim perhaps was a dumb gently caress but drat he did have a long face. its neither okay nor not okay to laugh at things but you can do it if you want to. take it easy.

Tiler Kiwi has a new favorite as of 08:17 on Dec 28, 2019

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

Hello trans people. So like I know that you're all getting harassed and doxxed and outed to your families and workplaces IRL by transphobes online who are doing all of this poo poo to you while gaslighting you into thinking you're the problem, and I know that many of you are being targeted for harassment and physical violence IRL and that you're being killed just for existing, but have you considered that you're making all of that up and that the internet and real life are completely separate and have no connection whatsoever and that maybe you should just relax and calm down and chill out and not worry about and just post funny jokes on an internet forum and maybe post about beer and farts?

my advice, to laugh at things, and to be happy, in defiance of the cruelty of others and the empty nihilism of online and offline existence, is just advice, and not something i demand you follow personally if you do not want to. please do not take it personally.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

razorrozar posted:

it's advice trans people and, i would imagine, any other marginalized community hears and it accomplishes nothing because it places responsibility for avoiding bigotry on us, to ignore it, rather than on others, to not be bigots, and that is hosed and you are wrong and your advice is actively harmful. hth

if thats what you read into it, im sorry for being bad at communicating vague life advice.

more or less im advocating this position:

Emma Goldman posted:

I did not believe that a Cause which stood for a beautiful ideal, for anarchism, for release and freedom from convention and prejudice, should demand the denial of life and joy. I insisted that our Cause could not expect me to become a nun and that the movement would not be turned into a cloister. If it meant that, I did not want it. "I want freedom, the right to self-expression, everybody's right to beautiful, radiant things." Anarchism meant that to me, and I would live it in spite of the whole world — prisons, persecution, everything. Yes, even in spite of the condemnation of my own closest comrades I would live my beautiful ideal.

less about "ignoring problems" and more about personal spiritual takes on the meaning of existence and life. like all anarchistic thoughts its the sort of smug tripe that leads to anarchists being the second group of people to be shot in revolutions regardless of who wins them so yet again if you dont like it thats okay.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

content! Here's an extremely wholesome story out of SA-Mart of all places:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3907072

:unsmith:

wholesome energy

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
im going to choose to believe it was a gesture of profound spiritual wisdom

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
whatever language that is written in, i don't like it

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

bell jar posted:

can i interest you in the community and programming nightmare that is PHP

i can't live without curly braces in my code

Kazinsal posted:

PHP, the programming language where testing for equality is difficult at times

that's impressive, usually you need floating points for that

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

I have tried reading FYAD quite a few times and have always come away with a headache and a weird feeling of confusion :shrug:

people have been asking "what is fyad" for as long as ive been on this site and people have also been saying "fyad sucks" for that long too.

its a little more easy to understand now than it used to be since irony shitposting is the new normal but for quite a while it was pretty much the only place on the site where you could just post whatever the gently caress and others judgments would be only be based on whatever capricious standard of "being funny" they held. it was also, tho, very insular and judgmental of new posters who didn't fit the forums culture; originality was highly valued, and it turns out its insanely hard to be funny to a clique of strangers in an original fashion. most posters who tried to step into the forum just repeated trite observations every new poster made or repeated forum jokes that had been done to death and were probated or, if they persisted, banned. dril is the most positive example of the absurdist, freewheeling style it fostered since its clear like, he's playing a character, or more like maintaining a particular voice, but its also very easy to take him entirely seriously and be utterly confused what everyone finds so comedic about flag loving. when he calls the keebler elves the (((keebler elves))) its not sincere but its also very intentionally loaded and the humor comes from both the absurd juxtaposition of antisemtic tropes and cookie elf mascots and how its still just lucid enough for one to suspend disbelief and read it as a straightforward statement by a total loon. tho you also had posters who subverted that by being just incessantly straightforward and polite at all times like koos.

a lot of the posters there have described it as chill despite the often overt hostility and disdain for, for lack of a better word, "breaking character". people mistake that for insincerity or irony, but I think it makes more sense when you realize what people were doing wasn't plainly sincere or coyly insincere, just kind of almost asincere. you didn't worry about "sincerity", you just wrote something that made a sort of deeper sense than trying to be deliberate could convey. you got a sort of catharsis by just being able to contextualize things in an absurd fashion to highlight the inherit madness of what you felt you were dealing with; a lot of the most famous jokes from the forum were incredibly sincere takes but written with a very irreverent style, permitting them to put forth their own narrative by essentially taking what they felt were the core elements of what they were going after and making a joke by highlighting the innate comedy of the matter. a lot of times its used to deflate a sense of seriousness, but yet again, its not unserious, just aserious, just refusing to let one self be swayed or overly affected by such a concept. they sure as hell took things seriously but not themselves seriously, which meant it was hard to cope with them when they popped up in a random thread to start mocking people (tho thats also because nobody on earth thinks straight when they feel like theyre on the defensive or their social position is threatened).

as said, I think the appeal there is the sense of catharsis out of being, essentially, an idiot among fellow idiots, and that the freedom to be as outrageously shocking or weird in your conduct in the name of comedy meant people couldn't rely on social ranking or standards of conduct to demand behavior from you, sort of the thing about why people in masks or clowns end up having a sense of fantastical control in social conduct. and i mean, thats kind of my thesis here that, like, its really not a new thing, its literally just "the boring old rear end art of clowning except online". they're the one setting all the rules of behavior by making your rules a punchline and any attempt you make in fighting back or contextualizing it is just pissing into the wind. the counter, it turns out, isn't to try to make fun of the clown for having a big red nose or dumb rear end pants, but challenge the entire context by pointing out that its not a clown, its just some dickhead in a frumpy costume who is being an rear end in a top hat and refuse to respect the clown ritual. the comedic nature masks the often inherent cruelty to the routines, after all. fyad had a real strong air of mystique which assisted in that social power, until they suddenly didnt and now they're just some sad dorks in a pink forum who are resigned to going from a bozo jester routine to a sad pierrot one.

the above is possibly all bullshit but i think thats why people have had a really hard time trying to understand what the gently caress fyads deal is while they never bothered to give a poo poo themselves; they just "knew" and you either got the inherent real-meeting-unreal parody quality to it or you were fail gbs. that, and they were also huge assholes about everything when they were on a warpath against someone or something they felt was bad (because you dont have to be nice when youre right), especially tiring to deal with from a staff perspective (because gently caress forum cops), and their weirdness and sudden appearances to raise hell in random threads lead to them having an aura of power and dread which i feel fuels a lot of the contradictory theories on their true intent and also is why they attract a lot of stupid followers. every time theyd start a big forums drama people would spill into the weird pink circus of hell forums and have to struggle to understand what the gently caress was going on and often the only way to deal with it was to just come up with a quick judgement that made sense to you and be off. my own take here is just one explanation, that makes sense to me, but i am someone who kind of has a problem hating anybody too much and prefers giving people more charitable interpretations they deserve, so, you know, grain of salt and all that. the poo poo theyre getting is definitely a chickens coming home to roost style thing thats been a long time coming.

Tiler Kiwi has a new favorite as of 12:22 on Jan 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
anyways thats my sincere overwrought post for the month, i just want to also second the notion that the sun can gently caress off