Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

week old discussion but gently caress it i lurk what do you want

R. Dieovich posted:

no, you've got that wrong. films with reactionary politics are fine so long as they come off looking well-produced. aesthetics trump all else

dc superhero movies are by far the best looking mainstream movies being put out today and they are also by far the most widely hated ones usually for dumb poo poo like plot nitpicking that never happens with marvel movies even though theyre every bit as bad in that department incidentally dc movies are about how a world with legit superheroes and actual extraterrestrial invasions would be a horrific death-filled dystopian nightmare while marvel movies are always trying to sell us on how no actually it is a good thing that godlike beings closely collaborate with secret nazi-infested intelligence agencies to battle against faceless aliens and uppity ex-slaves and bad ceos who are coincidentally business competitors with the godlike beings because of course if any hanky-panky is discovered they'll just go rogue which is even better

Algund Eenboom posted:

Crash won best picture, dipshit

not actually relevant to the point about crash's pre-woke tomatometer score which is only seventy four percent its easy to forget now but crashs win was a massive fluke that surprised just about everyone the main reason it happened was because brokeback mountain was the actual favorite but this was 2005 and hollywood liberals didnt want anyone to make fun of them for voting in the gay cowboy movie but they also didnt want anyone accusing them of being moral cowards so crash was their very half-assed way of saying uh sure homosexuals might be trendy but have you ever heard of this thing called racism it is actually very ambiguous they still got a lot of poo poo for this although obviously not enough given the current terrible media landscape you cant even dislike star wars movies anymore without being called a misogynist or a racist or a russian or a robot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

wonder woman is absolutely hilarious in that regard its the exact same basic idea as any other dc movie but it took the woke to eleven so it gets like sixty extra percentage points on the tomatometer women and minorities are now getting leading roles in movies solely because producers are using it as a cynical security to hedge against bad reviews the best part is that when anyone points this out the reply is always whoa there buddy are you saying you only want WHITE MEN to headline movies

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Paladinus posted:

Comic movies are trash. Just don't watch them, lmao.

fixed that for you

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

another fun wonder woman fact the movie only got made at all because steve mnuchin and zac snyder heavily pushed it the former now works for trump and the latter is now making a fountainhead movie yet somehow she is supposed to be an icon that only appeals to left brain right thinkers

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

theyre also produced with a basic understanding of camerawork lighting set design costuming and all sorts of other film school 101 bullshit that no longer exists in other mainstream films thats why they feel so distinctive even though the core plotlines are nearly indistinguishable from their marvel equivalents im not saying theyre good im saying if critics cared about aesthetics theyd be all over that crap instead of complaining that theyre not sufficiently cartoony

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i cant decide whether its brilliant or idiotic that theyre assuming both russiagate and woke media are still going to be a thing in two years

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the prequel trilogy has the still relevant take that military contractors are bad and untrustworthy and that its a bad idea to expand executive authority imagine a modern woke movie saying something that controversial

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

why do you think this is some weird quirk that applies only to dictatorships the academy serves the exact same purpose for american film because it allows hollywood people to pretend like they serve some noble artistic purpose instead of just money and rape thats why they jumped on the woke bandwagon and still arent coming down now that metoo has killed their plausible deniability

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

doesnt changed sides imply that either cops or defense contractors are evil and that they have an antagonistic relationship

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I'm pretty sure it's going to be about the undercover cop who worked the silk road case for the FBI and ended up getting arrested for embezzlement

You know

Carl Mark Force IV

that sounds interesting why didnt they communicate this in the cover sentence instead of being so vague it looked like it was describing the cover story do they not have editors

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The National Review posted:

8. Black Panther (on Netflix). A visual dazzler full of amazing landscapes and contraptions, the Marvel blockbuster featured a villain for the ages in Michael B. Jordan’s Erik Killmonger, a burn-it-all-down revolutionary whose destructive vision is grounded in the false utopianism of the 1970s pan-African radicals called the Black Panthers. That Black Panther the movie stands as a brisk rebuke to the Black Panther movement makes it as witty as it is thrilling.

how was this movie supposed to be woke again

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

that got me curious whether the onion has ever written anything about black panther but this was the closest i could find

The Onion posted:

# 7 Ta-Nehisi Coates

After a year that included numerous high-profile appearances and a bestselling essay collection on race in America, writer and journalist Ta-Nehisi Coates is on track to be the public intellectual who white Americans assume speaks for every single black person in the country. From his insightful writings on the history of white supremacy in American politics to his blistering critiques of the Trump administration’s racist policies, Coates has continued to address social justice issues in a moving and thoughtful way, cementing his position as someone white people will look to as their only resource on the black experience.

Coates’ recent projects, including the Black Panther comic book series and instruction at multiple prestigious universities, have only heightened his status as a thinker whose work will inadvertently function as shorthand for “the issue of race relations” in the minds of white readers nationwide who will thereafter presume to have a comprehensive understanding of what it means to be black in America. And his upcoming collaboration with The Wire’s David Simon on an HBO series about Martin Luther King, Jr. will further cement his importance as a lone reference point for white Americans seeking to demonstrate their extensive familiarity with the black experience—a cultural contribution for which they are ever grateful.

which really confused me at first because if you don't look at the rest of the list this one sounds completely sincere

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

dont they also solve all their problems with violence though

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

remember when colin powell and condoleeza rice were considered the future of the republican party because as black people they were immune to being called racist im still kind of surprised neither of them tried to run for anything

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

under george w bush, people wouldn't stop making comparisons to 1984

today, people won't stop making comparisons to harry potter

remember, things can always be worse

whats really weird is that we actually have a surveillance state now and a media that changes its mind on who the good guys and bad guys are overnight without notice so that particular analogy has become more relevant not less

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

remember that guy from the tvtropes thread who thought animorphs deserved priority in the curriculum over shakespeare doesnt sound so crazy now does he

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Seyser Koze posted:

Also at the end of the movie T'Challa announces that he's fixing things by bulldozing a section of Oakland and building a coding boot camp.

thats so stupid i refuse to believe its true but ill probably find out that it is when the movie shows up on cable wont i

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

AxGrap posted:

Omg the big refreshing thing about the movie seemed to be black excellence, and afro futurism not appeasing your cynical standard of "wokeness". Why do black movies have to defend themselves on that level when say... spider-man does not.

the new spider man movie went out of its way to defend itself on this level and is getting the same kind of woke academy award buzz so im not sure this analogy works the way you think it does

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

like honestly the only reason were even talking about black panther is because it appeared on basically every single critics top ten list and has been getting a buttload more awards representation than seems rational for a marvel superhero movie and its been getting this entirely on the strength of its worldbuilding that national review blurb i quoted was the only time ive ever seen one of these puff pieces discuss the movies actual plot because the plot is so ridiculous and reactionary you cant call attention to it all if youre seriously going to claim its one of the best movies of the year

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

tony stark is the real villain of homecoming he creates and accelerates every single conflict in the movie by being a negligent indifferent rear end in a top hat but were never suppose to acknowledge this because the according to marvel branding he's a Good Guy™

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

General Dog posted:

I wouldn't say Marvel is fascist, it's just a strong believer in the value of the military-industrial complex.

remember when marvel announced a tie in comic with northrop gumman and fans were shocked and horrified that marvel would consider military contractors to be in line with its brand they worked really hard to show off how woke northrop grumman was too

Gizmodo posted:

Northrop Grumman’s team is also introduced one by one, beginning with Hector Soto, the resident pilot. In San Diego, Heidi Barber is introduced as the team’s former TV star who went on to become a mathematician and neurophysicist who uses her fame to promote STEM education to children. Orville Norwood, located in the United Kingdom, is the N.G.E.N.’s hacker who gave up his life of taking down “the man” in favor of working for Northrop Grumman and being a “team player.” Finally, Alyssa Woo’s bio is given and she’s revealed to be N.G.E.N.’s “revolution sculptor” who specializes in designing the kinds of systems that allow her and her teammates to “merge the human form and cybersecurity structures.”

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

plenty of good pop culture exists but its easy to forget that because pop culture journalism is fixated around a few multibillion dollar franchises and aside from the occasional meme its nearly impossible to find out about any actual good media from them since everything is reviewed on the quality of whatever political message the reviewer has hallucinated them as having rather than their storytelling

or worse based on the extent they can be compared to major franchises like these are cultural touchstones we should all be familiar with when i grabbed that quote from gizmodo they suggested i read about how steven universe just had its red wedding moment i mean what the gently caress is that even most supposed to mean

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

do they have a man in england i thought they had a queen

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

remember the nineties when hollywood was trying to turn shaquille oneal and pamela anderson into movie stars i just find it funny how woke media mandates that we pretend like minority and women led blockbusters are some crazy modern idea and not that we actually had them for maybe a decade and a half before hollywood decided that chinese people only wanted to watch movies headlined by boring white guys

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so how old is that panel anyway is that from pre woke marvel when everyone was racist or post woke marvel when everyone hates racism but the writers are still the same moronic white people as before so its just racist in a more convoluted hamhanded way

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so whats this story about anyway im assuming deadpools not there to talk about lion king

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Who cares Coates is not, from what little I've read of his work, very good at comics

are you telling me the onions endorsement was a lie

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

You gotta hand it to the people who talk about Harry Potter politics, they seem like intellectual titans compared to the people who talk about comic politics.

its legitimately impressive how over the last fifteen years superhero comics have gone from a ghetto genre that more serious comics writers have done everything they can to distance themselves from to an art form so prestigious that when non comics writers are offered a job from the big two they post extended soliloquoys of gratitude on twitter for being allowed to participate in the great american zeitgeist

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

got any sevens posted:

where did all this poo get sent anyway
did they just teleport it to their lake and thats why the mermaids want to kill them?

i think thats the plot to the new aquaman movie

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

arent girl scouts sort of inherently a woke brand it seems like the only time they come up in casual everyday life is when theyre selling cookies

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/maddow/status/1081590058292072448

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

'Black Panther' Challenge Creator Launches GoFundMe to Send Young Girls to See 'Captain Marvel'

remember the old days when movie companies had to pay for their own publicity stunts

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

what i dont get about the captain marvel hype is that shes a boring white woman with a really generic costume and no apparent personality why would that be your choice to headline a movie when you could have sassy black afro captain marvel or teenage muslim shapeshifter captain marvel instead im not being a dick here ive actually heard of these other two characters but as far as i can tell carol danvers is famous solely because of the movie and shes probably the least woke possible character they could have chosen to do it

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Frog Act posted:

i agree that a CSPAM general cultural criticism thread would be good, I've been watching a lot of stuff as a consequence of my unemployment and I've often wanted to post about the way popular media eternalizes and reinscribes liberal systems, often while attempting to criticize some element of them

honestly id just shitpost in cined except i only watch mainstream american movies years after the fact because one they're almost never worth the money and effort to go to the theater and two the hype train for these is completely insane old cined threads have for several years now followed a pattern of everyone giving sloppy hand jobs to the latest most brilliant film ever made to slowly realizing as the hype wears off that no interstellar was not in fact the 2001 of our generation

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

is that sarcasm because im not sure ive ever discussed my bernie beliefs on sa nor can i think of anything ive written on here that would make someone think thats what they are

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

BioMe posted:

Aliens was the action movie one, also not one I was referring to, you dum-dum.

ridley has always been a interesting flashpoint in gender critique because as written in the first movie she has no real gendered characteristics save for that weird scene near the end where she does a striptease the second one is a much better example the way the company condescends to her has obvious misogynist undertones you also have her trying to fit in with the very macho military guys and her whole relationship with the orphan is very maternal

you dont get those kinds of dynamics in modern woke movies at all take ghostbusters even though the script constantly tells us the leads are being screwed over for being women everyone in the movie is constantly being a petty rear end in a top hat to everyone else regardless of gender

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

nobody actually reads superhero comics they measure sales figures in the thousands even manga beats them pretty handily which just makes their centrality in woke culture wars all the more ridiculous

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

can we make him a transwoman too

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

ive heard squirrel girl collections are popular at scholastic book sales and from what ive seen of this comic in out of context internet snippets it appears to actually be written in such a way that children might want to read it which probably has more to do with its success than the protagonist being female

meanwhile with characters people have actually heard of marvel decided to run a storyline that retconned captain america into having gone to a gay nazi boarding school and when people pointed out how completely loving stupid this was wokes decided that only nazis would dare to press such a criticism somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/1083907419267305473